View Single Post
Old 10-01-17, 12:31 PM   #109
ParadiseVendors

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Haven't done this in a while, but my October might allow it this time around. Gonna be feast or famine, days where I watch a ton, and weeks where I can't watch any. Using a lot of streaming services, and their definitions of horror, so expect some terrible movies to make the list.

Goal: 32

Day 1:
1. Prom Night *(?)- I was sure I'd seen this one, but nothing about it seemed familiar. Probably would have skipped it if I'd remembered it and knew that the constantly ringing phones in the movie would wake up my dog every time. (amazon prime)
2. Sharknado * - Why the hell did nobody tell me how amazing this movie is? It's seriously fantastic. Already watching the sequel. (Hulu)
3. Sharknado 2 * - Too much of a good thing? Too self-aware? There was something special about the first one that they didn't recapture here despite more B,C, & D list celebrities than I've ever seen in one production. Still gonna do at least one more since the first 3 are on Hulu. (hulu)
4. Sharknado 3* - Meh, I'm bored with this series, but I'm a completionist of sorts (hulu)
5. Sharknado 4* - Pretty much lost the element of fun completely at this point, but I'll probably watch part 5 if I can find it and 6 when it comes out. Just a string of lazy references and cameos. (netflix)

Day 2
6. Yoga Hosers* - Better than Tusk, which isn't saying much at all. I thought that after Red State maybe Kevin Smith was back and could make cool horror, but I guess that one was a fluke. (netflix)
7. VHS Viral* - Clearing out the netflix queue with this one. Pretty much what I expected, a drop in quality over the first couple of VHS movies. Nacho Vigalondo's segment was by far the best, but we all knew that was going to be the case. (netflix)
8. Beyond the Gates* - I really wanted to like this one more. It wasn't bad, just never really did anything that worked for me other than a couple nice practical fx. (netflix)
9. 31* - I like Rob Zombie movies more than the next guy, but this one just didn't do a lot for me. (bluray)
10. In Hell Everybody Loves Popcorn* - 2 hour making of 31 doc. Verite style, pretty interesting if you're a nerd into this type of stuff like a lot of us doing this challenge. (bluray)
11. The Stuff* - I don't know how I've never seen this one. I'm a fan of Larry Cohen, and this one is some of his best stuff, get it stuff (bluray)

Day 3
12. Dracula vs Billy the Kid - Didn't remember much about this one other than it's terrible. Turns out that's the only memorable thing about it. (plex)
13. Frozen Scream* - One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrid acting, bizarre exposition through voiceover, terrible ADR, terrible photography, terrible writing, there is nothing good at all about this movie. It's not even entertainingly bad. But it was banned as a video nasty, so people will still track it down and watch it. (plex)

Day 4
14. The Mutilator* - Apparently this movie initially got an X rating.
People (myself included) love to bitch about the MPAA being ridiculous today, but this thing would barely merit an R now. A 2nd rate slasher, that is boring as they come until the last act when you get a couple decent deaths. (amazon)
15. Demented Death Farm Massacre* - I don't know that I'd necessarily call this a horror movie, but that's how it's listed online, and I guess it sort of fits as much as a lot of similar trash from the time. A later Troma pickup of some B-movie crap. If you are ever thinking of watching this one, do yourself a favor and watch Two Thousand Maniacs! instead. (amazon)
16. Blood Orgy at Beaver Lake* - An accidental Troma double feature on amazon. Was looking for something that seemed like it would fit a category on the Psychotronic Challenge and found this. Pretty much exactly what you would expect from a Troma inspired movie with a title like this one. (amazon)
17. Walking Dead 601/602 - I've watched 601 before, but for some reason stopped there. Needed a break from garbage B movies, and just noticed this was on netflix. (netflix)
18. Walking Dead 603/604* 604 is a pretty great bottle episode.

Day 5
19. Walking Dead 605/606*
20. Walking Dead 607/608*
21. Cult of Chucky* - Solid outing in the Chucky series. The last one didn't do much for me, but this was back to basics, with better gore scenes than I was expecting. (netflix)
22. Walking Dead 609/610*

Day 6
23. John Dies at the End - Had enough time to squeeze a movie in before class this morning, and after comparing the theme list to Netflix realized I hadn't seen this one in while. Pretty solid movie. (netflix)

Day 7
24. Walking Dead 611/612
25. Purge: Election Day* - Reading through other lists and realized I hadn't ever watched this one despite it being on my plex server for a long time. If you like the series you should like this one. (plex)
26. Walking Dead 613/614

Day 8
work, playing with new camera lens, a lot to do around the house, no movies, but I did get to go to LA Zoo's Boo at the Zoo, technically a live Halloween/horror event, though not that horrific.

Day 9
work/dodgers game, no movies

Day 10
27. Walking Dead 615/616* - Not a bad season all in all. Not my favorite show in the world, but I'm glad I'm finally getting caught up.
28. Walking Dead 701/702* - Didn't see that death coming. Well I mean I did in the sense that I had heard it was going to happen, but thought it was later in the season.
29. Death Note* - It was on Netflix, I hadn't seen it, those were my two criteria. Adam Wingard put me over the edge. This was not at all what I was expecting. I mean it wasn't great or really even all that good, but it wasn't terrible. I wish they would have deviated a bit more from the manga antagonist dude a bit more (I mean maybe they did I haven't read it, but it seemed pretty manga-ish). (netflix)

Day 11
30. Walking Dead 703/704*
31. Saw - Interested in watching the new one, so I figured I go back and rewatch the old ones. We'll see, maybe I won't watch any more and will go back to stuff I haven't seen before. (plex)
32. Walking Dead 705/706*

Day 12
33. Walking Dead 707/708*
34. Walking Dead 709/710*
35. Walking Dead 711/712*
36. Walking Dead 713/714*
37. Walking Dead 715/716* And with that I'm caught up in time for the new season. Could be a good one, I'll probably watch before it gets to Netflix this time around.

Day13
35. Ouija* - A nice creepy little movie. Surprised me a bit that I actually liked this one, though the end was kinda weak once they decided to spell out and telegraph everything that was about to happen way too heavy handedly. (plex)
36. Ouija: Origin of Evil* - I feel like this one is probably technically a better movie than the first, and looking at reviews and ratings it seemed that it was generally liked more, but I have to go with the first one. This one took too long to ramp up, and suffered from the same lame 3rd act as the first one. (plex)
37. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - It's been a while since I've watched this classic. I've always wondered why they get out of the truck at the end, why not just drive away with black mamba. (amazon)
38. Hotel Transylvania 2* - On the not as bad as I thought it would be list for this challenge, also the comparing checklist items to netflix list. (netflix)
39. ABCs of Death 2* - Been watching this in chunks over the past few days when I had a few minutes here and there. Finally finished it, felt like a bit more of a chore than the first one. (netflix)
40. Saw 2 - Continuing my rewatch in anticipation of the new one. The needle scene in this is still brutal. (plex)

Day 14
41. The Babysitter* Who knew that McG could make a super fun throwback type light horror flick. I mean I didn't know he was making anything anymore, but I'm hoping he makes more like this. (netflix)
42. The Devil's Candy* (plex)

Day 15
Had a lot of work to get done for monday and Baseball

Day 16
43. Fear the Walking Dead 101/102* (hulu)
44. Fear the Walkind Dead 103/104* - I feel like this is where the pilot should have ended. Pretty bored by this so far. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime.
45. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Checks off a few things on the checklist, and I hadn't seen it in a long time. (plex)

Day 17
46. Bride of the Monster (plex)
47. Bride of Frankenstein (plex)
48. Lake Placid vs Anaconda* - Pretty much unwatchable. Nothing more to say (youtube)

Day 18
49. Holidays* - Back to being a Kevin Smith completionist now that I've seen this. Like most anthologies it was hit or miss, though this was mostly miss unfortunately. A couple decent little bits but nothing really fully realized. (netflix)
50. Puppetmaster* - Not sure how I've never seen this one, give my love of trash and a good friends love of Charles Band, it was shocking to me that I hadn't. Well now I have, and the world is better for it.

short stuff adding up - Le Diable au Convent (3 min) - Behind the Scenes Haunted Mansion Tour (50 min) - The Haunted Curiousity Shop (3 min) - Frankenstein (1910) (14 min) 70 min

* denotes first time viewing
Red is for theatre
Green is DVD
Blue for Blu-ray
Yellow is on TV
Black is online/plex

Spoiler:

Updated Theme List:
Select 10 actors:
--- Kevin Bacon -
-x- Tobin Bell - Saw
--- Michael Biehn -
--- Doug Bradley -
--- Veronica Cartwright -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- Jocelin Donahue -
-x- Brad Dourif - Cult of Chucky
-x- Ethan Embry - The Devil's Candy
-x- Boris Karloff - Bride of Frankenstein
-x- Brea Grant -Beyond the Gates
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Elizabeth Kaitan -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Christopher Lee -
--- Rose McGowan -
--- R.A. Mihailoff -
-x- Dina Myer - Saw
--- Meg Tilly -
--- Mary Elizabeth Winstead -

Select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors
--- Don Calfa -
--- John Vulich -
--- Ted V. Mikels -
--- John Zacherle -
--- William Peter Blatty -
--- Carrie Fisher -
--- Miguel Ferrer -
--- John Hurt -
--- Bill Paxton -
--- Robert Day -
--- Alessandro Alessandroni -
--- Michael Parks -
--- Adam West -
--- George A. Romero -
--- John Heard -
--- Sam Shepard -
--- Robert Hardy -
--- Haruo Nakajima -
--- Sonny Landham -
--- Jay Thomas -
-x- Tobe Hooper - TCM
--- Martin Landau -
--- Harry Dean Stanton -
--- Bernie Casey -
--- Hugh Hefner -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Antón García Abril -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Daniel Licht -
--- Harry Manfredini -

Select 5 directors:
--- Dario Argento -
-x- Don Coscarelli - John Dies at the End
--- David DeCoteau -
-x- Mike Flanagan - Ouija: Origins of Evil
--- Tom Holland -
--- Mary Lambert -
--- Jean Rollin -
--- Steve Miner -
-x- James Wan - Saw
--- Adam Wingard - Death Note

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Patrick Baxter - ABCs of Death 2
--- Jason Collins -
-x- Mark Shostrom - The Mutilator
--- Bud Westmore -

Select 2 producers:
-x- Bradley Fuller - Ouija
--- Dino De Laurentiis -
--- Roy Lee -
--- Lloyd Kaufman -

Select 2 writers:
--- Jaume Balagueró -
--- Robert Bloch -
--- Jack Ketchum -
--- H.P. Lovecraft -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Agoraphobia -
-x- Anthology Film - VHS Viral
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
-x- Appears on Video Nasties List - Frozen Scream
-x- Based on a True Story - TCM
-x- Based on a Novel - Bride of Frankenstein
-x- Cannibalism - TCM
--- Cinema Inspired By: Edgar Allan Poe -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
-x- Classic Universal Monsters Movie - Bride of Frankenstein
-x- Comedy / Spoof - Hotel Transylvania 2
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
-x- Death by: Fire - Saw 2
--- Distributor / Studio: Vinegar Syndrome -
-x- Documentary - [/B]In Hell Everybody loves Popcorn[/B]
--- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space -
-x- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen - Purge Election Year h/t MikeWendt
-x- Film From TCM's October Schedule - Billy the Kid vs Dracula
--- From a Basis Gogos Painting -
--- Found Footage -
-x- Frankenstein - Hotel Transylvania 2
-x- Ghost / Haunting - Ouija
--- Giallo -
--- K-Horror -
-x- Killer / Evil Animal - Sharknado
-x- Killer / Evil Child - Ouija: Origin of Evil
-x- Killer / Evil Doll - Puppetmaster
-x- Made-for-TV Movie - Lake Placid vs Anaconda
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
-x- Mummy - Hotel Transylvania 2
-x- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror - The Devil's Candy
--- Nation of Origin: China -
-x- Nazi - Yoga Hosers
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
-x- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Saw
-x- Takes Place on a Holiday - Holidays
-x- Takes Place on or Under the Sea - Bride of the Monster
-x- Three Installments in a Franchise - Sharknado 2-4
-x- Vampire - Hotel Transylvania 2
-x- Werewolf - Hotel Transylvania 2
-x- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - The Babysitter
--- With Commentary -
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
-x- Zombie - Walking Dead

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three formats:
-x- First format, online streaming, Blood Orgy at Beaver lake
-x- Second format, Blu-ray, 31.
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
-x- Stars a Barbara (Steele, Crampton, Hershey, Shelley) - Beyond the Gates
-x- Features music by Richard Band - Puppetmaster
-x- Was made in the 1950s - Bride of the monster
--- Features a Disembodied / Possessed Hand -
--- Was written by Jimmy Sangster -
-x- Features a solar eclipse - Holidays
--- Has the words "It" in the title -
--- Was directed by David Cronenberg -
--- Stars Michelle Bauer -
--- Takes place at a cemetery -
-x- Features an actor who played Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, or another pop culture horror killer in a different role - Lake Placid vs Anaconda w/ Robert Englund

Select 8 decades of film history:
-x- 1890 - Le Diable au Convent
-x- 1900 - The Haunted Curiosity Shop
-x- 1910 - [B]Frankenstein[b]
--- 1920 -
-X- 1930 - Bride of Frankenstein
--- 1940 -
-X- 1950 - Bride of the Monster
-x- 1960 - Billy the Kid vs Dracula
-x- 1970 - Demented Death Farm Massacre
-x- 1980 - Prom Night
-x- 1990 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-x- 2000 - Saw
--- 2010 - Yoga Hosers

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1942 (75th) -
--- 1967 (50th) -
-x- 1992 (25th) – Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Select 2 from the following anniversaries:
--- 15th Anniversary of The Rondo Hatton Awards -
-x- 20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-x- 25th Anniversary of The Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel - Sharknado Series
--- 100th Birthday of Santo -

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
-x- PG - Hotel Transylvania 2
-x- PG-13 - Yoga Hosers
-x- R - The Stuff
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
-x- Unrated - Bride of Frankenstein
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
-X- LA Zoo, Boo at the Zoo.

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

Last edited by ParadiseVendors; 10-19-17 at 01:28 AM.