Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Tales of Halloween" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Tales of Halloween (2015)

Selected by Mondo Kane

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "Tales of Halloween" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Never heard of this anthology before this, and not quite sure why it never got the hype Trick r Treat got back in the day. I enjoyed this just as much; the only part I didn't really get was "I'm melting!!". Still over all a great anthology that I will be getting a copy of when I get the chance.
Old 10-15-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Excellent anthology film with a spot on ghoulish vibe. Last year I shrugged off the release because a Halloween anthology seems like low hanging fruit, like those mediocre Christmas movies my family watches just to be 'seasonal' but this delivers on the strange cartoonish antics, gore, and eeriness. I find I like more plentiful shorter segments in anthology films like this. Some of the crossover between segments was nice, like Rusty trick or treating in one segment then his story being told in another.

I wanted to say my favorite segment was Sweet Tooth with it's campy goriness but then Grim Grinning Ghost was good (love the blink and you'll miss it end) and Bad Seed was really cool (despite the lame ending). A lot of neat cameos from John Landis, Stewart Gordon, Barbara Crampton, Lin Shaye, Joe Dante, etc.

I was expecting some surprise from the radio announcer wraparound other than just the cool vibe.
Originally Posted by 3onameathook
...the only part I didn't really get was "I'm melting!!"...
I didn't really get that either; it seems like a random Wizard of Oz reference. The Hansel and Witch segment was one of the weaker ones in my opinion despite some great visuals of the witch.
Old 10-15-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I had heard of this one last year, and there was a good bit of chatter that it was as good at Trick r Treat. That first segment really left me cold, as I felt they were just trying to shock you. I was won over with all the other segments and felt that they really pulled this one off. That Landis segment really had me rolling. I was watching this really late, and when the ending came to the Hansel and Gretel segment I though I had fallen asleep, as it didn't make much sense.
Spoiler:
She threw him in the oven, then she 'melted'?
Old 10-15-17, 10:43 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
A lot of neat cameos from John Landis, Stewart Gordon, Barbara Crampton, Lin Shaye, Joe Dante, etc.
My favorite (sort-of-random) cameo was Drew Struzan, illustrator of tons of iconic movie posters -- he played the sketch artist in the last segment.
Old 10-15-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I really enjoyed this one, and for whatever reason, I wasn't sure that I would. I guess I wasn't the only one that felt like that going in. I think the second segment with the guy playing that epic Halloween trick on the kid that was going to egg his house made me laugh more than I should have. I was laughing throughout that one, and it delivered a good punchline. I know there are quite a few of these micro-anthologies out there, but I think this might be the first I've actually seen. I can't recall any others anyway; I'm more accustomed to the ones with 3-5 stories. I liked it, though. It was pretty breezy, and lesser stories didn't have a chance to drag down the whole movie.

I also didn't understand why the witch was melting. I just thought maybe it had something to do with the link between them. It did seem like a pretty random way to work in a Wizard of Oz reference.

And this one was a checklist bonanza! In other years, you might have gotten some checks in the actor, recently deceased or director categories, but I don't think there's anything this year. I'll try to list all that I think this would be eligible for. Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

Makeup - Jason Collins
Anthology
Cannibalism
Comedy/Spoof
Death by: Fire
Extraterrestrial
Ghost/Haunting
Killer/Evil Child
Monster/Creature Feature
Slasher/Psycho/Homicidal Maniac
Takes Place on a Holiday
Witchcraft/Satanic/Religious
With Commentary (potentially)
With Two or More Horror Legends
Zombie (you can argue the alien reanimating the woman's corpse)
Format of your choosing
2010s
R rating

I also used this for a film that I haven't seen with a Barbara.
Old 10-15-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

*Phew!* My first "Blind-watch" for a subset pick and glad that I that I ended up being satisfied. I agree that "I'm melting" was random, but at that point in the movie, anything went. Had no idea that was Pollyanna Macintosh, btw.

Favorites in order:
Grim Grinning Ghost-Nailed the type of quickie ghost tale that I just love. That cast too!
Friday The 31st-I doubt I'll see any greater splatter for the rest of the month
Sweet Tooth-Brutal & to the point
The Night Billy Raised Hell-Thought this would be a groaner, but such a f*ked up ending
Trick-Shocking ending
Bad Seed-Um, has Kristina Klebe led a whole film before?
This Means War-Loved the start. Expected a better ending
The Ransom of Rusty Rex-Felt a little long, but cute
Ding Dong-Jack creeped me out
The Weak and The Wicked-Just very forgettable

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-15-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 08:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

excellent production values but the vignettes were laughably bad.
Old 10-15-17, 08:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I was hoping that this one would grow on me like Trick 'r Treat did. That one got such hype, but I really didn't care for it much on first viewing. But I tried it again the next year and loved it. Will likely try to watch almost every year.

I was intrigued by the limited release set and bought Tales of Halloween last year, but it didn't wow me. It was maybe a bit better this year, the Landis sketch especially, but I dont think this one will elevate with me in the future.
Old 10-15-17, 10:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this one but not as much as Trick 'r Treat. Still, I will be watching it again although I wonder if knowing the surprises will matter much.

I got a big jump at the end of "Grim Grinning Ghost", beautifully set up, and the endings to "The Night Billy Raised Hell" and "Trick" took me totally by surprise. Some good laughs in "The Ransom of Rusty Rex" and I'm a sucker for killer pumpkins so "Bad Seed" made for a strong finish. "Ding Dong", "The Weak and the Wicked" and "This Means War" didn't do much for me.
Old 10-15-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw this one AND Trick 'r Treat during an all night movie marathon at a local theatre a couple of Halloweens ago. They were both really good up on the big screen.
Old 10-16-17, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Trying to get a glimpse of Billy's mom. She dressing up or what?
Old 10-16-17, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie is pretty violent. I no longer have a candy fetish.
Old 10-16-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

It's not on the level of Trick R Treat, but it was still entertaining. I watched it last year for the challenge and enjoyed it even more this year because I could see how each story intersects with others. For example, you see the avenging kids from "Trick" show up in "Ding Dong", an evil pumpkin is in the background in other stories, and so on. I thought the little trick or treating alien was adorable.
Old 10-17-17, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind Lin Shaye, I just wonder if Hollywood realizes they can make horror movies without her.
Old 10-17-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I have to agree with Kane that "Grim Grinning Ghost" was the best segment, by far. For me, though, the segments weren't given enough running time to grow; nine minutes per segment (on average) was just too little time to make much of an impact. However, I must also point out that the stories in the Simpsons' "Treehouse Of Horror" episodes are approximately the same length, and they generally tell much better stories than these do. Make of that what you will.
Old 11-01-17, 04:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The first time I saw this I didn't really care for it, but this second viewing I enjoyed much more. For me it's still not as good as Trick 'r Treat.