Reload this Page >

31 Films in 31 Days - Horror Challenge Subset

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-30-08, 11:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

This is an optional subset of the 4th Annual DVDTalk Horror Challenge. Watch these 31 films on the listed day, with group discussion starting the next morning. Or don't watch them but still join the discussion.

Please don't talk about the actual film content until 0700 the next morning, as we don't want to post spoilers for anyone who hasn't gotten to the film yet. Spoiler tags don't work inside the email notifications, so please just wait. Spoiler tags shouldn't be necessary at all in this thread. If you're in here, you've probably watched the movie being discussed.

All films are the original versions only of course. Please try to put the title of the film(s) you're discussing in the title field of your post.
  1. Nosferatu
  2. Shadow of the Vampire
  3. Suspiria
  4. Nightmare on Elm Street
  5. Night of the Living Dead
  6. The Shining
  7. Re-Animator
  8. Creature from the Black Lagoon (chosen by vote last year's winner ViewAskewbian)
  9. The Devil's Rejects (chosen by FusionX)
  10. Rosemary's Baby
  11. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  12. Freaks
  13. Friday the 13th
  14. The Wolf Man (this is October's Full Moon)
  15. Claw of Terror (aka Scream Bloody Murder) (chosen by Mister Peepers) youtube link
  16. Manos: The Hands of Fate (chosen by steelpotato)
  17. The Exorcist
  18. The Invisible Man
  19. Hard (chosen by edwardnortonfan)
  20. Aprils Fool's Day (chosen by wlverinefactor)
  21. The Thing
  22. Evil Dead
  23. Psycho
  24. The Mummy
  25. The Pit and the Pendulum (chosen by Dimension X)
  26. Horror of Dracula (chosen by Crazee4DVDs)
  27. The Innocents (chosen by EdTheRipper/Giles)
  28. Black Sunday (chosen by Chad)
  29. Dracula
  30. Frankenstein (1931)
  31. Halloween

Thanks to caligulathegod and DeputyDave for some of the smileys. Everyone feel free to suggest more or alternatives to the quickees I put in.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-20-08 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cringe to think of what the appropriate smilie would be for "Hard"
Old 10-01-08, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I cringe to think of what the appropriate smilie would be for "Hard"
I was thinking the same thing. There are some I could find from another board, but I think I'll refrain.
Old 10-01-08, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-01-08, 06:36 AM

About Nosferatu...

Psyche!

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 10-01-08 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Who in the world takes the time to READ these? We should all be watching movies.
Old 10-01-08, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
About Nosferatu...

[snip]
You're 24 hours early. Let's not talk about anything involving the plot until everyone has a chance to watch it today.

Edit to add: The above post was meant to come off as a polite reminder. I sincerely apologize for any "command" tone that comes across in this post or in any thing I post. I have and desire absolutely no authority on this forum, my opinions and comments have just as much weight as a newbie who just joined the forum, and my posts are meant to give my opinions and thoughts only. Maybe I don't use enough smilies when I post things disagreeing with someone else's thoughts? I will be more careful in phrasing things in the future, and appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-01-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 06:59 AM

Yes sir!
Old 10-01-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Watching Nosferatu right now. Hoo hoo.
Old 10-01-08, 07:24 AM

Holy crap edwardnortonfan, what's up with the edit info a couple posts back!?

Even if we were friends and that was meant as a joke it was quite uncalled for. I thought my post was just politely reminding you (and everyone) what we agreed on in the other threads and what is written in the first post, that we won't discuss the films until the following morning to give people a chance to watch them first. Why spoil the films for people?
Old 10-01-08, 07:31 AM

I personally think a lot of the things you've been lobbing at me and others over the course of this challenge are horribly uncalled for. You constantly tell people what to do and what to post as though you were super mod when there's no need for that. I didn't think I gave away any info about the plot of Nosferatu, so I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, and since the thread was going off topic I didn't think anyone would mind if I said something. Then you stepped in and told me not to discuss anything, when I didn't reveal any spoilers, so I edited my post and didn't say a single thing to you publicly (which means if you want to get snippy with me about what I said in my edit, it goes in a private message and NOT here publicly on the board). Considering your attitude throughout the years I've been participating in this challenge, I've been more than civil with you.
Old 10-01-08, 07:51 AM

The edit info is public and displayed for the whole forum btw.

I'm a little surprised that you think some of those things. I don't think I've ever "told people what to do". People ask for opinions and I give them, usually with a "imho". Isn't that the point of the whole discussion thread the last few months? Even in the things that I've sort of "taken the ball" and helped create, like the expanded checklist and the 31 films list, I thought I've always done it with a spirit of openness and non-ownership. I've bent over backward to give Chad final say in those things, change to appease others, share credit, etc. I can't think of a single thing that I've "lobbed at you or others" that is "horrible".

If I am as big a prick as you seem to think I am, I wish someone had warned me earlier. I'd rather not be a prick.

And again, I don't see my post of asking you to hold off on discussion as being snippy or an order (which I obviously have no right or desire to do), just a polite reminder that perhaps it's best to wait on discussing the film. And even if your post didn't spoil the ending, it (hopefully) would have led to discussion that would have spoiled some plot elements at least.
Old 10-01-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally think a lot of the things you've been lobbing at me and others over the course of this challenge are horribly uncalled for. You constantly tell people what to do and what to post as though you were super mod when there's no need for that. I didn't think I gave away any info about the plot of Nosferatu, so I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, and since the thread was going off topic I didn't think anyone would mind if I said something. Then you stepped in and told me not to discuss anything, when I didn't reveal any spoilers, so I edited my post and didn't say a single thing to you publicly (which means if you want to get snippy with me about what I said in my edit, it goes in a private message and NOT here publicly on the board). Considering your attitude throughout the years I've been participating in this challenge, I've been more than civil with you.
As far as I'm concerned, the 31 movies idea was Trevor's, and he can lay down the guidelines/rules as he sees fit. If that means I can't post anything about the movie until the next day Hawaii time, I'll abide by it. FWIW, I don't think he's ever told anyone what to do or said anything uncalled for. To me, it has always been to enhance the challenge or provide his opinions on the rules.

Last edited by Numes; 10-01-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 08:07 AM

Whoops, didn't know it was public. I never noticed. At the other forums I belong to it only goes to the mods. I apologize. But I didn't think it was a big deal; n the other forums we insult each other back and forth (I'd give examples but then I'd get banned, if I'm not going to already) and all it does is lead to more discussion, so even if I knew it was public I wouldn't expect more than for you to insult me back. Everyone here takes every single aspect of this challenge and indeed this entire board way too seriously for me. You constantly say that other people care too much about numbers, but you are the one who posts about padding numbers, and how people are "missing the point that this is supposed to be fun and not about numbers" and really, you're one of the only ones I see constantly talking about numbers, so it looks like you care more.

The "horrible" nature of your posts is more the tone you use when addressing people which could be my misinterpretation of what you're trying to say, and I apologize again, but the first time I posted here I had to ask my friend "Who's that Trevor guy and why does he think he's better than everyone else"? If you'd said "Hey, just a reminder, it's too early to discuss the movie yet, we don't want anyone to be spoiled," then I wouldn't have a problem; your post sounded a lot more brusque, like you were barking out orders, and that coupled with your post in the other discussion thread about how the "Fangoria Blood Drive" flicks were wildcards, and everyone who wanted to list them was trying to pad their lists (when the movies are 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours when taken with all the shorts together, so I don't see that as much of a pad, since they take as much time to watch as a regular movie would) that sent me over the edge. I want this challenge to be fun. I don't care what other people post, I don't read the fine print to see why people edit their posts so I can call someone out if they piss me off, I don't question the movies anyone else chooses to label as horror (unless they ask, "hey, is this horror?") and I just watch the horror movies I love and don't constantly try to fight with people. The only fights I get into are ones like these that seem really pointless to me because they're about tone and semantics and definitions and "when you said this you were being a jerk" "No I'm not, YOU'RE a jerk!!" that just make me tired.
Old 10-01-08, 08:11 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the 31 movies idea was Trevor's, and he can lay down the guidelines/rules as he sees fit. If that means I can't post anything about the movie until the next day Hawaii time, I'll abide by it.
And that's fine for you, and that's your opinion. In MY opinion, I wasn't spoiling anything so it wasn't a big deal, and I DID remove it when he snipped at me, so this whole argument should have been in a private message, not splashed across this forum. Plus this isn't the only thread where I've seen him acting like a wannabe mod, so it doesn't matter if he started this thread or not. I did something, he asked me to remove it, I removed it, he got mad, I said I disagreed with him. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm called out, I'm allowed to say why I said what I did, even if he made the thread. If he chooses to call me out in the thread, I'm going to respond in the thread.

This is exactly why this should have been taken to a PM.
Old 10-01-08, 08:16 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the 31 movies idea was Trevor's, and he can lay down the guidelines/rules as he sees fit. If that means I can't post anything about the movie until the next day Hawaii time, I'll abide by it. FWIW, I don't think he's ever told anyone what to do or said anything uncalled for. To me, it has always been to enhance the challenge or provide his opinions on the rules.

Thanks Numes, those comments help my crushed spirit a bit. That really is how I'm "saying" all these things I type on this forum btw, just giving my opinion and trying to enhance Chad's baby and the experience for everyone. I really don't think I have any more "authority" than a new member who joins the forum today and posts their opinion. But if I ever do become a prick please call me out on it right away.

I don't think it was my initial idea, I'm pretty sure someone else had the initial thought last year. I just championed the cause and ran with the idea once we got closer to October.
Old 10-01-08, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I just championed the cause and ran with the idea once we got closer to October.
And I'm grateful that you did, because it's a fun idea and it was cool being able to suggest a movie (even though I don't think many people liked my choice so I doubt they'll watch it).
Old 10-01-08, 08:46 AM

Mod note: There's been a slew of edits and RTPs from this thread already. If I remember correctly in the past some of these "challenge" threads have been shut down because of the behavior of some of the participants. Please don't let that happen again.
Old 10-01-08, 09:01 AM

my final words on the slight matter that is over afaik, and an on-topic comment!

You constantly say that other people care too much about numbers, but you are the one who posts about padding numbers, and how people are "missing the point that this is supposed to be fun and not about numbers" and really, you're one of the only ones I see constantly talking about numbers, so it looks like you care more.
I admit that I'm quite vocal on that topic, perhaps too persistent. My mindset there is that last year's debacle of the thread closing was so awful, silly, and unnecessary that I want to work hard to do my part to keep that from happening again. This forum is a nice little community, and these challenges are some of the best parts of it, and I want to help keep the strife level low. I'm failing at that apparently.
If you'd said "Hey, just a reminder, it's too early to discuss the movie yet, we don't want anyone to be spoiled," then I wouldn't have a problem; your post sounded a lot more brusque, like you were barking out orders, and that coupled with your post in the other discussion thread about how the "Fangoria Blood Drive" flicks were wildcards, and everyone who wanted to list them was trying to pad their lists that sent me over the edge.
Sorry, I tend to be matter of fact in my posts, and not go out of my way to use smileys or make sure people know my "tone", which is not at all brusque. I think I get in the mindset that I've been here long enough that people must know I'm a kind-natured, helpful, just giving my opinion sort of guy, and that I shouldn't have to use smileys or watch my "tone". But I will be more careful now, thanks.
he got mad, I said I disagreed with him. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm called out, I'm allowed to say why I said what I did, even if he made the thread. If he chooses to call me out in the thread, I'm going to respond in the thread.
In my defense, I think I was very justified in getting mad, given the extreme nature of the comments. I called you on it in the thread because you began it here. I'm over it, never the type to "get in a war", just felt violated and needed to respond. Friends?

And I'm grateful that you did, because it's a fun idea and it was cool being able to suggest a movie (even though I don't think many people liked my choice so I doubt they'll watch it).
It's going to be a hard difficult watch I'm sure, but I'm looking forward to challenging myself. I'm glad you pushed the envelope.
Old 10-01-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Uh, I like Nosferatu. It's good.

Am I even in the right thread?
Old 10-01-08, 10:17 AM

Nosferatu

Originally Posted by clckworang
Am I even in the right thread?
Yes, but don't talk about the plot yet unless you want to feel my wrath!

I think everyone knows that Nosferatu is available all over the internet for free, but just in case here is a link.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-20-08 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add title
Old 10-01-08, 05:52 PM

*gives away the end of Nosferatu*

In addition to the site Trevor gave, Nosferatu is also available here and they have a nice selection of other movies as well: http://cinema.lycos.com/search/?q=&genre=8&p=1

Some of the movies there suck (ok, most of them probably do, with the exception of "Nosferatu" and "Phantom of the Opera") but I plan to fulfill my "Attack of the..." checklist requirement there by watching "Attack of the Giant Leeches," and some of the other movies are cheesy fun too.
Old 10-02-08, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
OMG, Nosferatu is just Dracula!! Ha ha! Let's see. I have a VHS (one of the first three movies I ever bought-Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame were the others), the Image Laserdisc, the first Image DVD pressing that I left in the damned player when I returned a defective player, the second Image pressing (with its slightly altered commentary), a public domain copy on the Edison Frankenstein DVD, the crappy one with the Type O- metal soundtrack, and the two disc deluxe restored Nosferatu: The Ultimate Edition. I've seen it in a theater twice, including once with a live accompaniment from a band called the Weird Lovemakers (I would pay big money to have that soundtrack). Damn, do I love this movie. When I was a young kid, I had this book on movie monsters and there was this one page with Orlock looking at the camera after feeding on Ellen that scared the heck out of me. I memorized what page it was on so I could skip it each time. Eventually, I got over it and became obsessed with the movie. There are very few movies that affect me in this way. It's fun having that feeling when I watch a film now that I'm so jaded and older. I have other films I'm just as obsessed with from my childhood, like the Wizard of Oz, but this is the only scary one. I hope everyone enjoyed this film as much as I do. I even love the remake since you can tell it was made with such love and reverence for the original.
Old 10-02-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MoC edition of this is just fantastic - the main reason I finally went region-free last year. Great presentation all around. The film is a true classic of horror cinema, and just one example of how far ahead technically and artistically the German Expressionist movement was, compared to what was being released in America concurrently. Here's my question: Knock seems pretty unhinged from the get-go. I was always curious how a bug-eating madman was able to cope with the day to day drudgery of a real estate office. Looking forward to watching Shadow of the Vampire today and comparing the two.
Old 10-02-08, 08:06 AM

It must have been scary living back in a time when threats of the plague meant you had to stay in your homes and you couldn't take your sick family members to the doctor for fear it would spread. The vampire has a smorgasbord there, with all the people in their homes and no one believing in vampires so they wouldn't recognize what the symptoms were until it was too late (if ever). Has anyone here seen the remake? Does it play up on these themes any more than the original?

I like how Nina (haha, you're not going to avoid being sued just because you changed the spelling of a name from "Mina" to "Nina"...I know that wasn't the intent, but I still think it's funny) finds out how she can battle Nosferatu by reading the book. And how she looks to the windows of the house across the street and sees Count Orlock standing at the window. That always gives me chills.
Old 10-02-08, 08:25 AM

Nosferatu

I'm jealous of you all that own the DVDs. My region free player died on me, so I've been waiting on buying the MoC, and haven't seen the other DVD editions yet. Fairly crappy quality internet downloads is all I've seen so far. Still, amazing film.

More comments later, back to my TV....

Last edited by Trevor; 10-20-08 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add title

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.