View Single Post
Old 10-01-17, 10:56 PM   #114
brainee
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Brainee's 2017 DVDTalk Horror Movie Challenge List

Goal: 50
Total:
First Time Views:

= first time viewing

October 1st

1. ☼ iZombie (2015): "Zombie Bro"; Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 514, 515.

October 3rd

2. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 516-519.

October 4th

3. Beyond the Gates (2016): Yay, I finally get time to watch my first horror movie of the month! I didn't enjoy this as much as I was expecting (the premise of the horror Jumanji with an 80's vibe sounded can't-miss). It took a while to get going, but even then the whole production felt shoddy and unengaging. Barbara Cramptom's holding up well though (now pushing 60 years old).

4. Little Evil (2017): Early on, this seemed like a one-joke comedy that would quickly run out of steam. But the characters grew on me, and by the end I was quite enjoying it. Nothing groundbreaking, but a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

5. ☼ iZombie (2015): "Real Dead Housewife of Seattle"; Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 520, 521.

October 6th

6. The Bar (2017): Alex de la Iglesia consistently makes movies that entertain me (often in twisted and morbidly funny ways). Despite this being one of those movies with a small cast in a (mostly) single location, there were enough twists and developments to keep me engaged throughout.

7. Death Note (2017): By far the weakest of the three adaptations of the manga that I've seen (the other two being the anime series and the pair of live-action Japanese movies in the late 2000s). Adam Wingard's 80s obsession seems forced, and the clever battle of wits between Light and L is reduced to chases, yelling, and Final Destination type gory deaths. I'm fine with a good re-imagining (deviating from the source material to make a good and distinct movie) ... but this just doesn't feel like a particularly good movie.

8. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 522-525.

October 7th

9. ☼ American Horror Story: Cult (2017): "11/9"; "Holes".

10. I Am Not a Serial Killer (2016): I really liked the look of this movie ... washed out and grainy giving the feel of 70s and 80s independent films (which did a great job at conveying a feel of coldness and desolation). At first it seemed like "Dexter: The Teen Years", but it turned out there was a bit more going on under the surface. Christopher Lloyd really gave a great performance.

11. Curse of the Faceless Man (1958): It always amazes me how anyone is ever slow enough to get caught by the monster in these old mummy movies.

12. Demon (2015): I knew going in not to expect much of a horror movie (and certainly no demons). I enjoyed it, but overrated by most critics (91% on RT). It's stage play origins are pretty evident. Very sad about the director (who committed suicide just as this was getting screened at festivals in 2015).

13.Antibirth (2016): I was on the fence whether to give this the or rating at Netflix ... until the gonzo last 10 minutes pushed me over the edge at made it a

14. Sun Choke (2015): A slow-burn non-linear art-house psychological thriller/drama/horror. This takes patience on the part of the viewer (and will not be to the liking of most mainstream horror fans) but ultimately I found it rewarding. And that's Barbara Crampton movie #2 for me so far this October

October 8th

15. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 526-529.

16. Alien: Covenant (2017): I don't think I buy the story events at the Engineer homeworld:
Spoiler:
so David just shows up and kills them all?!?! And apparently this incredibly advanced civilization only has a single city.
So the plot doesn't bear much scrutiny. Still I was entertained for 2 hours. Michael Fassbender does a great job as usual.

17. Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016): Never saw the first movie (it sounded dreadful). But Mike Flanagan's involvement and good reviews got me on board for this one. It didn't feel like I missed anything by not seeing the first movie (I'm guessing either the house or an older version of the teenage girl character are the linking points). Solid little ghost story, whose 60s setting works well and has a surprisingly downbeat ending.

October 10th

18. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 530-534. One of these is a "double-number" (which they do when the daily airing is preempted to keep the numbering consistent). It's still 4 episodes (for one "movie" in the count). Like anyone is reading this and cares!

October 11th

19. Raw (2016): For me, perhaps a victim of too much hype. Still, taken for what it is, this is a well-made slow-burn cannibal drama. And who knew veterinary students were such wild partiers?

20. Under the Shadow (2016): This easily wins my "best of the night" award (and up there for best of the month). It would've been compelling as a straight drama (about a mother and daughter trying to survive in war-torn 80s Tehran). But adding to that the horror of the djinn mythology takes it to another level.

21. A Dark Song (2016): Another really good one. Doesn't take the easy route and go for gore and cheap shocks. Instead gradually amps up the intensity and gives a real emotional core to the story.

22. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 535-538.

October 12th

23. Don't Kill It (2016): A fun movie that I might've passed over if not seeing some positive reviews and remembering liking a couple of director Mike Mendez's other movies (like Gravedancers and The Convent). The concept of how the demon always hops bodies after being killed lends to some cool set-pieces, and Dolph Lundgren is fun (and looking fit at nearly 60 years old).

24. Shelley (2016): Well-made, acted, and looks great (set in a desolate Dutch forest). Just ... is it too much to ask for a movie to actually go anywhere? Ultimately vague and unsatisfying for me.

25. Island of the Doomed (1967): You could do a lot worse for a killer plant movie (see The Navy vs the Night Monsters). Stupid characters abound, and there's disappointingly little killer plant action. Still, there are some fairly gory images for its time and the last 15 minutes or so is really good.

Friday the 13th

26. ☼ iZombie (2015): "Even Cowgirls Get the Black and Blues"; "Love & Basketball"

27. Friday the 13th (1980): I couldn't resist Friday the 13th falling in October to watch a few of these. These early movies in the series are very nostalgic for me. I was in middle school when they came out, and were the Holy Grail of super scary horror movies that kids my age were trying to see.

28. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981): This made more of an impression on the young me than the first. Probably a combination of the faster pace, flashier kills, debut of killer Jason ... and the nudity certainly helped

29. Friday the 13th Part III (1982): One of my least favorite movies in the series. The 3D is intrusive, the content (for gore and sex) is rather tame, and it sags quite badly in the middle. Oddly enough, this was the only movie in the series that I actually saw in theaters (in original 3D!). The last third (once we finally get to Jason killing all the idiotic young people) is pretty good though.

30. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984): This is a definite improvement, with a fun cast (check out Crispen Glover's dance moves!), beautiful girls who get naked for the camera, and some pretty intense moments. Corey Feldman's Tommy proves to be one of the smartest characters ever in a Friday the 13th movie:
Spoiler:
when Jason is knocked out and appears to be dead, does he slowly walk away giving Jason time to recover? Hell no! He stabs him over and over and over and over and makes sure that's the end of the damn movie (and he survived it). Of course ... we won't talk about how much of a dumb ass Tommy was in future movies.

31. Mindwarp (1992): I wasn't quite sure what I was getting into here, but I quite liked this movie. Always fun to see Bruce Campbell (who plays it very straight) and Angus Scrimm gets to show a lot more personality than he does in Phantasm movies. For a while I wasn't sure why this was considered horror (as opposed to just sci-fi). But then we got the "underground" segment of the movie. Coming off of some Friday the 13th movies, it was a jolt to see all the gore and nastiness (while the 90s weren't the greatest for horror, at least movies could get away with being much more extreme than they were in the 80s).

32. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 539-542.

October 14th

33. The Mummy (2017): In retrospect, it's kind of sad to see all the studio throw so much into kicking off this "Dark Universe" knowing what was supposed to be the flagship movie bombed spectacularly. Can't feel too bad for them though ... shouldn't you have at least one successful movie before going too far in planning this giant shared universe?

34. Nympha (2007): I've seen two of the director's HPL adaptations (The Shunned Room and The Colour out of Space) so I knew what I was getting into here (micro budget horror from a guy whose ambition outpaced his abilities).

35. The Night of a Thousand Cats (1972): Since MST3K got resurrected, this movie is screaming (meowing?) out for them to feature it! What blows my mind is that apparently there's a version of this movie that's 30 minutes longer than what I saw. I just can't conceive of 30 minutes of footage that's even more irrelevant than what's already in there.

36. The Severed Arm (1973): I liked the set-up, but this really dragged once we got to what should've been the most exciting parts of the movie (the stalking and murder scenes).

37. It Comes at Night (2017): Pretty much delivered on what I thought it would be. While I can see why some didn't like it (it's essentially a horror movie with no monsters), I found it very effective, tense, and grim. The shorter running time ensures that it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

38. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985): I know this has hate due to the lack of Jason. But I like this entry ... it has a goofy charm to it. Plus, I love that an actress named Debisue Voorhees has a spectacular nude scene (before getting murdered by "Jason").

39. Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986): Hard to believe, but this is the first time Jason actually encounters campers at Crystal Lake. This movie isn't quite so heartless as The Burning and have the little tykes be murdered (though they tease it).

40. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988): When it's Jason versus Carrie, you know the series is running out of ideas. The MPAA really had a hard-on for destroying horror in the late 80s, and this movie in the series probably suffers more than any other (workprint of original kills can be seen on YouTube). Watching all of these in a row, the violence has become gradually tamer as the series progresses through the 80s. At this point, it's so bad you'd almost think you're watching the edited-for-tv versions. Pretty much every single death scene has a jarring edit and a quick cutaway. What's really sad is that it seems that it's impossible to even put back together a "director's cut" of these movies since the original footage is either missing or in bad shape.

October 15th

41. ☼ iZombie (2015): "Max Wager", “Abra Cadaver”

42. The Undying Monster (1942): Solid mystery/horror whose strong scientific forensic angle makes it stand out from other horror movies of its time.

43. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989): But mostly Jason takes a boat, some rundown docks ... and then you get 15 minutes of Jason actually taking Manhattan.

44. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993): The "Final Friday", they say? We've heard that one before. Where did they pull this "only a Voorhees can kill a Voorhees" stuff from so late in the series? Wonder if the filmmakers say The Hidden, since this is pretty much that movie (except nowhere near as good). A positive ... finally we have a "director's cut" that managed to salvage all the original gory killings (and that tent murder is probably the goriest of the entire series).

45. Jason X (2001): No continuity with the last movie, but like anyone really cares. This got crapped on my critics and fans alike, but I kind of liked it (in a dumb fun way).

46. The Blob (1988): On the short list of horror remakes that manages to surpass the original. I guess slashers must've been the type of horror on the MPAA's shit list in the 80s, since it's startling how much gruesome stuff they could show in this (while the Friday the 13th series couldn't show squat for gore). The shots of people dissolving inside the Blob gave me the willies (not to mention showing the graphic death of a little boy).

47. Hotel Fear (1977): Except for one murder scene, this isn't even a horror movie at all. But it is quite a good movie, with great atmosphere set in a decaying hotel in war-torn Italy as a girl tries to cope with her mother's death surrounded by shady characters.

October 16th

48. ☼ iZombie (2015): "The Hurt Stalker", Cape Town"

49. Tales of Halloween (2015): At 10 segments in 95 minutes, there isn't time for anything to overstay its welcome. A mixed bag, and a lot heavier on goofiness than I was hoping for, but a decent view.

50. XX (2017): I liked this more than the mixed reviews had me expecting. For me, the first story ("The Box") is the standout though its ambiguity isn't going to suit all tastes. That's probably the reason viewer response is so mixed ... the tone varies so much from story to story (from arthouse horror/drama to goofy black comedy to gory monster story to fairly predictable straight-forward horror about the antichrist).

51. The Babysitter (2017): This was a lot of fun that does a good job of mixing coming-of-age comedy with slasher horror (while never really losing the tone).

52. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 543-546.

October 17th

53. Dark Shadows (1968): Episodes 547-530.

October 18th

54. ☼ iZombie (2016): "Method Head", "Fifty Shades of Grey Matter"

55. The House That Screamed (1970):

56. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971):

Last edited by brainee; 10-18-17 at 09:10 PM.