View Single Post
Old 10-01-17, 12:56 AM   #104
nondiatonic

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

October is a busy month for me this year, so I'm setting my goal at an achievable 15 movies.

Key:
* = first time viewing
Ratings out of 5 ★★★★★
★ = terrible
★★ = poor
★★★ = good
★★★★ = great
★★★★★ = masterpiece

Oct 1:
01. Dracula/Horror of Dracula* (Terence Fisher / 1958) ★★
Not as good as my first foray into the Hammer films: The Curse of Frankenstein. Entertaining throughout, if nonsensical in many instances. The plot devices felt jarring and unnatural.

02. The House of The Devil* (Ti West / 2009) ★★
Starts out promising with many homages to the 80's horror style. The movie sets up what could be a disturbing psychological horror only to show its hand completely and descend into a weak and uninspired paint by the numbers climax. The acting also left a lot to be desired.

Oct 6:
03. Kuroneko* (Kaneto Shindo / 1968) ★★★
This is a clinic on editing and shot composition. The special effects are also deftly executed and creepy at times. The plot starts quickly and moves strongly through to the third act where it screeches to a halt and seems stuck on a merry-go-round loop of over explanation and bull headed protagonists.

Oct 14:
04. The Innkeepers* (Ti West / 2012) ★★
Similarly uneven as House of the Devil. Solid cinematography and much better acting than my previous exposure to Ti West (which isn't saying much). The attempts at developing character depth fall flat, the plot devices are highly predictable, and the movie sadly resorts to the cheap tactic of jump "scares" (and each one is easily anticipated).

Oct 15:
05. Quatermass 2* (Val Guest / 1957) ★
Inane plot arch, amateur acting, laughable screenplay, fantastic monsters.

06. Invasion of The Body Snatchers* (Philip Kaufman / 1978) ★★★★
The rare great remake. Captures the unsettling feeling of the original, but carves its own spot as well. Still, I prefer the original.

07. Creep* (Patrick Brice / 2014) ★★★
Suffers from some shakey cam, but otherwise a solid found footage entry. Some suspension of disbelief is required, as with most found footage (which is a strange aspect of the genre given the purpose of the filming method is to increase believability. But, I digress.) Mark Duplass' performance really makes the film, and his contributions are crucial to the uneasiness which builds right from the start.

Oct 17:
08. Things We Do In The Shadows* (Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi / 2014) ★★★
Hilarious horror comedy using the unique premise of a reality TV/documentary following vampires rooming together. The jokes are solid throughout, although I don't know if it warrants a second viewing. This Is Spinal Tap for the horror genre.

Oct 20:
09. IT* (Andy Muschietti / 2017) ★★★
Great child acting, perfect special effects, and some truly creepy moments. The characters seemed to have forced depth; we are shown their cliched home lives with the drama ratcheted to the max. The plot takes a backseat for most of the film.

Oct 21:
10. The Fog* (John Carpenter / 1980) ★
Still waiting to find another The Thing or Christine in Carpenter's filmography, but with each boring exercise I lose hope.

11. Never Hike Alone* (Vincente DiSanti / 2017) ★★★
Nothing to write home about, but a fun little diversion all the same. Best aspect is that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

12. The Invitation* (Karyn Kusama / 2015) ★
So... what was the point of this movie?

Oct 22:
13. Brain Damage* (Frank Henenlotter / 1988) ★★★

Last edited by nondiatonic; 10-22-17 at 06:06 PM.