View Single Post
Old 09-05-17, 02:44 AM   #34
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

spoilers
Oct 12th
56). Time Walker
57). The Rapist
58-59). Grindhouse
60). Once Bitten
(1982) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1994) (DVD) (FTV)
(2007) (Blu-Ray)
(1985) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I actually really enjoyed this cheesy 80's Mummy/Alien monster movie. This movie finds an archeologist and his student aids examining an unusual skeleton found buried in Tutankhamun's tomb. The mummy is awakened when one of the students swipes some bizarre precious jewels from the sarcophagus. It's a by the numbers 80's slasher after that with a Mummy instead of a madman. The ending is over the top bad but the ride was quite enjoyable for fans of such fluff. Also there is a MST3k track available for this I am going to have to track down and Chad is super jazzed about part 2.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Eventually I will get thru this Eye On Horror set. This film is based on the real life crimes of Lam Kwok-wai, serial rapist, is an enjoyable if uneven experience. There are lots of extended and perhaps overly romanticized rape scenes. And the pervasive humor feels out of place in a movie about a serial rapist/murderer. But what I really liked here was the cat and mouse game with the police and Lam Kwok-wai. The tension when the female officer goes out of sight, the late night stake outs in these open atrium apartment buildings, it those little geographical/cultural differences in police work that work for me. The movie was passable but most will not find it any more than just average.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: It's a little strange watching this Weinstein production co-staring Rose McGowen now. She seemed to be over whatever happened post/pre Scream if she agreed to star in this... I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Grindhouse since it's first run a decade ago. And man I forgot how good those trailers were! Planet Terror was a goopy gory shark jumping romp. And QT's Deathproof is just as fun and really hits that 70's car horror perfectly. So I am sold on the package, obviously I paid to see this first run, bought the extended versions on DVD and now have purchased the Blu-Ray. My three nit picks here are: I wish Kurt Russell was a hair less whiny in the final reel of Deathproof, that the option to watch the extended versions of the movie as a double feature existed and that this included a Robert Rodriguez 10 minute cooking school, I would love to have stolen his BBQ recipe.

(4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I know rating Once Bitten a 5 out of 5 is going to raise some eyebrows. But this movie played on loop during my childhood. It's what I expected high school to be like, needless to say that realization turned out to be pretty disappointing. I love the soundtrack to this I distinctly remember recording the songs off VHS and onto cassette tape so that I could listen to them on the go. While I have never actually lol'd during this movie (that I can remember) the comic beats are all very enjoyable. This movie does of course star Jim Carey and that is most likely why it got so much play for me there in the 90's. Looking back at it I am not sure how much appeal it might have as a first time view to new viewers but for me it's a classic, it's one of those movies that I could watch every year and still not get bored of it. One weird thing I was thinking abut during this viewing is the gay panic scene, an 80's comedy staple. But I do foresee people being unjustly offended by it, none the less. Funny that it probably offended people on the far right when it first came out and now it will offend people on the far left. What is happening to this country? Can't we all just enjoy a vampire teen sex comedy? One last note, this blu-ray does look amazing and it is quite the upgrade from my previous VHS copy. I do with there had been some special features on here, any special features, but hey at least you get the other vampire comedy (fans of that movie are probably thinking the same thing).

(5 out of 5)
Oct 13th
61). Friday The 13th: Part 2
62). Severance
(1982) (Blu-Ray)
(2006) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Classic bag head Jason. There is so much recap at the beginning of this movie like 6 minutes worth (I am writing this several days later so that might not be quite an accurate stat) like they are expecting a ton of people who never watched the first one will have a hard time following the highly cerebral plot. Also I think Jason's revenge here at the beginning of the movie is the farthest he ever gets away from Crystal Lake until part 8. Well, depending on how far away she lived but it didn't seem like a woodsy small town residence. This was very frequently my pick for best of the series and it still bobbles around in the top 4 even with my changing tastes over the years. 2, 3 and 4 span the mortal Jason story arc and that grounding makes them a little more real and more potentially frightening. Also hard to go wrong with an 80's slasher. I did find it somewhat peculiar that there was no audio commentary on this one? It is the only one on the set besides part 3 that doesn't have a commentary and the DVD set From Crystal Lake to Manhattan has a track for part 3! For a "complete" set this hodgepodge of special features is annoying.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: This Big Lot clearance title with the horrible cover was way better than I ever would have expected. It's about an office retreat gone when a blocked road sets our group of coworkers on foot and into a killer hillbilly situation. Except it's in Europe so they're more refined than your typical southern inbred murder family types. It was never really a laugh out loud movie but it didn't have annoying gags either it was nice dry British humor. I was also weird to see how drugs and prostitutes seemed way more non-hyperbolic in this movie given the setting. I liked it, good mix of slasher and comedy, well worth the $3 asking price.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 14th
63). The Babysitter
64). Scalps
B-13). Hissy Fit: Marzen Lager
65). Saturday The 14th Strikes Back
(2017) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1983) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(Texas) (FTD)
(1988) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Fuck that was a good movie. I was not in the best of moods this morning but a coffee and The Babysitter really set the day off right. Set modernly but with a decisively 80's feel, this horror comedy follows a young man who decided to stay up and see what his babysitter is up to when he is asleep and that shits crazy. Movie references abound the boy must face-off against several slasher victim archetypes except this time they are the villains. One thing that was super weird for me was the slightly annoying black guy was the annoying boyfriend in Meet the Blacks, I would hazard to say he did a much better job in this though. I had a fantastic time with this movie, I loved the references and I even actually lol'd which is something rare these days in a horror comedy. Most of them as of late just comping off annoying as opposed to funny. So far my best movie experience all month.

(5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Released in '83 this movie has a decisively 70's feel to it. A group of college students travel into the desert for some light archaeology and fall afoul of an Indian curse that leads to their doom. Sorry for the spoiler but it is called Scalps, so come on. The acting/plot and editing feel so neophyte that I would almost think this was a student film if I didn't Fred Olen Ray directorial effort. Shots tend to linger in a way that screams 'we've got to fill time to make this feature length'. The one area where it does shine is the gore effects which were very effective. At least I think they were, the quality of the Blu-Ray leaves something to be desire, in fact this may be the worst quality blu-ray I have ever seen. Also it's setting was at least interesting, being out in the desert gave it a very The Hills Have Eyes vibe, except here the hills had pissed Indian poltergeist.

(2.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: A sort of unpleasant sharp almost chemical scent sits on top.. and it definitely matches the caliber of the beer. Unassuming and creamy at first turns into this messy apricot bitterness that is not hitting marzen for me at all. I had intended to wait and try some of this at room temp but I nodded off, so we will just have to go with our first mediocre impression.

(2 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I am pretty forgiving of bad 80’s movies but wow this was bad. Any charm that the first movie had is gone in this sequel. A completely new cast inherit another dilapidated house with an evil secret. Heavy handed voiceovers, overacting, lackluster effects and really just a lazy plot make this disappointing even as a spoof. I'm not saying that that the original was award worthy or anything, but it was decent. This was way too much; lets ham it up for the camera. I think this could have done exactly the same as as a cartoon and been way more successful. There was at least a plethora of ghouls though and the grandfather was pretty cool. That being said I have no intention of watching this again for personal enjoyment, but it should play great for my daughter when she hits 5 or so.

(2 out of 5)
Oct 15th
66). Happy Death Day
67). Commentary For
Scalps
68). School Spirit
69). V/H/S/2
(2017) (Theater) (FTV)
(1983) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(1985) (DVD) (WC#1)
(2013) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: This feels like an old idea, I mean it is Groundhog Day as a horror movie but is just something abut it that seems familiar. And I guess it could have even been this as this movie was in development for a decade. Originally to star a pre-Jennifer's Body Megan Fox the decade of development and recasting did not ruin this property. In fact I found this movie quite endearing, you start out with this terrible slasher fodder character and then over the course of the movie you actually start to like her. The Groundhog Day find your killer rift was a blast to watch, especially during the gather intel on the main suspects montage. I had guessed the killer from the preview but 10 minutes in I was completely sold that I was wrong. I wonder if alternate endings exist for this movie. It might be fun to watch a Clue style version of this on Blu next year. And that really tells you all you need to know about how I feel about this movie, I have seen it and still intend to purchase a physical copy.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Ha, a track that mentions Dracula Vs Frankenstein. This is a Fred Olen Ray solo commentary and it highly informative. All your questions about the weird editing, problems with the MPAA and even the terrible quality of the blu-ray. This commentary was more cohesive and in it's self told a better story than the movie did. About a young film maker with an ultra low budget making deals with shady distributors that recut his film. I have a greater appreciation for what is essentially a lackluster film due to this track, it's why commentary is my favorite special feature.

(3.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: The terrifying story of Billy Batson, a spirit trapped on the mortal coil who haunts his local college trying trying to tie up unfinished business. Just kidding, it's about a guy who dodges the door to heaven because there is this one broad he really has to nail. I used a wildcard here because even though the main character is technically a 'ghost' for the majority of this movie the whole thing really just plays like a typical sex comedy, with the bonus of your main character being able to go invisible to make gratuitous changing room scenes more ... plausible? There was certainly a lot of appreciable nudity in this movie. In fact I saw this movie a long time ago as a boy and that particular element left quite the impression on me. So much so that I dubbed the tape and it still sits unwatched in the last vestiges of my VHS collection. I wasn't even entirely sure that this was the same movie when I bought the DVD. Anyway, the movie is ok it's a low budget 80's college sex comedy, you know the drill. Enjoyable but otherwise nothing of great note.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Set up exactly like the first movie where people breaking into a seemingly empty house decide that now is the perfect time to watch some of the VHS tapes strewn about. I felt like I liked some of these segments better than the first movie but looking back at my review for that one yields different results. Our first story revolves around a man who's new artificial eye allows him to see the dead and to hook up with goth chicks. Then we have the worst of the group a tepid boring zombie in the woods story. Coming in at number 3 was, in my opinion the strongest segment and the one most in line with the feel of the original, a demonic cult with results. We wrap up with a decent but very The Fourth Kind derivative alien abduction segment. Not a bad crop of stories although that zombie segment should really have been dropped for something else (reminded me of Redneck Zombies somehow). I think I am going to have to make V/H/S 3 (or Viral.. that doesn't bode well) a part of this challenge.

(3.5 out of 5)
70). Fear The Walking Dead S03E15-16
B-14). Shipyard: Pumpkin Head
B-15). Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest
71). Never Hike Alone
(2017) (TV) (FTV)
(Maine)
(Wisconsin)
(2017) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Post apocalyptic surgery, always a risky endeavor, I am always reminded of that appendix removal scene from The Stand, so many simple medical issues turn into automatic death sentences. Also Troy... a blow to the head and lets walk away, he's coming back. In true Walking Dead fashion everyone runs back into each other again, we have an extended Mexican stand off and a season ending base destruction. It was big but a bit bland too, I am ready for OG Walking Dead to come back so I can watch another group of people make poor post apocalyptic decisions.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Oh, blurry picture. I am sorry, there was beer involved. Smells a little like bleach pumpkin spice and river water. There is an idea, pumpkin spice scented cleaning products. It does fare much better in the taste department. Fullbodied wheaty with a strong nutmeg/pumpkinspice aftertaste. Excellent balance and highly drinkable. This has been a favorite of years past last year's note was "the guy equivalent of a Pumpkin Spice Latte".

(4.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: A very pleasant smelling beer, you get that wonderful caramel marzen scent on top, this really hits those Oktoberfest notes. But unfortunate the taste does not match up with the smell. Has a very bitter burnt liquorish taste that lingers on the middle of your tongue. Reminded me of weird liqueur or mixed drink up front with a light carbonated finish. As it warms that initial bite does dissipate and it starts to develop more traditional marten flavoring but still not what I would call a good marzen. It has been awhile since i had this during a challenge and oddly enough the last time I did (during the 2013 challenge) I made a note that this one was over carbonated. That is certainly not the case this year, although the flavor did fare better that year as well.

(2.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I typically don't watch fan film, in my experience they are 95% crap. There are a few exception, the big standout for me would be Troopers. But I was pleasantly surprised here. It's hard to say when this is suppose to be set, there are various series tells, such as mask condition, that are not kept in continuity here. But this extended universe Friday the 13th film does retain the key story elements of at least the first 7 movies. In this one a Youtube hiker out on a trek find himself in a not so abandoned Camp Crystal Lake. And while that does sound like it would be annoying as shit, it'a actually not. I liked the main character and his exploration and subsequent run-in with the legend are a compelling watch. I think I would even put this over Friday 9 on my best to worst list. I love getting more of classic Jason, this fan film scratched an itch that has been around since '89. My one caveat to this project is that Jason doesn't move right, it just doesn't look like him when he is walking/stalking around. But it's a minor quibble, worth a watch for any fan of the Friday the 13th series.

(4 out of 5)
Oct 16th
72). Sleepy Hollow
B-16). The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale
B-17). Warsteiner: German Pilsner
73). The Headless Horseman
(1999) (Streaming)
(Maryland)
(Germany)
(1922) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: It's weird watching this now because you have this vision in your head of what a Tim Burton movie will look like and while this does have certain notes and style choices it's not the complete TB
experience we have come to expect. And I think I like it better because of that. It felt more like it's own story instead of another Burton-ing. It has been quite awhile since I have seen this one as when it originally came out HBO ran it into the ground and and I just watched it way too many times (that was back before I had expendable income to spend on copious amounts of physical media). I generally liked this version, Depp and Ricci were great together and I liked the upgrading of the material. The weakest part for me was, surprisingly, was Christopher Walken who's makeup and prosthetic teeth are so ridiculous that even he couldn't act his way through them. Not the first or the last adaptation of this material but a good one.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Harsh chemical pumpkin spice and rye bread spell. Woof... that beer... Has a super bitter chalky coffee wallop with an unpleasant lingering aftertaste that permittes the back of the tonge and top of the mouth. And it requires some effort to get that taste out of your mouth. Lets see if I can accurately articulate this flavor adventure... It's sort of like a carbonated black coffee that someone has crushed aspirin into. Yikes that is hard to drink.

(1 out of 5)

My Thoughts: Well, maybe not quite a seasonal beer but I have always held Warsteiner as an Oktoberfest staple. Crisp sharp smell, actually a bit cheap smelling for my image of a Warsteiner, almost domestic in scent. Very smooth with an interesting bitter sting that starts on the middle back of your tonge and shoots up the sides. It lingers on the back of the pallet in a not wholly unpleasant barley manner and it give you the feeling that you have been drinking for awhile after just a few sips. Fairs a better as it warms but overall strikes me as remarkably ordinary for a German beer.

(3 out of 5)

My Wife's Taste: First taste bitter but crisp afterward mmmm pretty good but if people like bitter beer might like ti doesn’t taste any alcohol.
My Thoughts: Silent movie after a long day, that was tough to stay awake thru. That was an interesting juxtaposition with the Burton Sleepy Hollow. I may need to read the original story again as I can't tell which of these is keeping with tradition and which is making it it's own. I would have though for sure that this telling would be much more to the plot of the story but it feels off to me. Will Rogers plays Icobod Crane here and is a school teacher as opposed to Depps investigator of the previous version. It's weird seeing Will rogers in a silent film, everything else I have seen him in he talks, a lot. This telling of The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow focuses way more on the romantic rivalry between Icabod and the town ruffian. This was a weird watch, there are way more slaves, a cock fight, a near tar and feathering and like 5 minutes of headless horsemen story arc. Of marginal interest but overall it is hard for a is hard for a pre-talkie to really captivate the modern viewer.

(2 out of 5)
Oct 17th
74). Pin
B-18). Avery Brewing Company: Pump[KY]n
(1988) (VHS)
(Colorado)
My Thoughts: John Locke! I bought this tape in the bargin bin in a drug store when I was a kid and it creeped me the fuck out for a long time. I guess young me was hoping for a monster movie as opposed to a messed up psychological one. Pin is about a kid who becomes transfixed with his fathers anatomical model, learns to make it talk via non-conscious ventriloquism and then uses it to kill, kind of? Oh and his sister is a slut. This is one of those movies that makes you uncomfortable, I am not talking about in a stalker/killer situation but in a crazy in every day situations kind of way. Killers that turn down offered sexual encounters are always creepier. I am reminded of the much less polished Scream Bloody Murder from the first half of the challenge, perhaps more effective as a murderer but way less effective in the creep out arena. Despite my checkers history with this one, it is a good movie and and a great example of a mild horror movie that leaves a bigger impression then it's more bombastic contemporaries.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Smells like rubbing alcohol, coffee and oatmeal. Has a strong sweet liqueur flavor, very light carbonation and is sort of sickly sweet. This taste like something you would drink to get shitfaced in a hurry. These burbon barreled beers always make for a weird flavor experience. Yager and brown ale ( but mostly yager). Not really getting the pumpkin flavor there is just too much competing sensations with this one. You know really this is kind of gross, and if it didn't have any alcohol in it there is no way I would be drinking it. But man you can feel it once you down this bottle. In fact I was in such an improved mood I was thinking of giving this a 3.5 for being a unique flavor adventure. But no...no...

(1.5 out of 5)

My Wife's Taste: Eh smells like soy sauce, very sweet like lamb or something. If you like sweet beer you might like it... aftertaste is pretty good but smells stinks.
Oct 18th
75). Inside
B-19). Rigor Mortis Abt
(2007) (DVD) (FTV)
(Canada)
My Thoughts: Tricked again and now I have somehow watched 2 French horror movies this challenge. So needless to say I was not in a super receptive mood at the onset of this picture. But wow did this brutal home invasion movie win me over. It's about a very pregnant woman who on the day she is set to go to the hospital to give birth another crazy lady decides she wants that baby, and the only way to get it is violent way. It almost falls into the torture porn category but it just doesn't feel like one. It's kind of like the fight scene from They Live except with murder and cutting and stretched out for the entire length of the movie. It's amazing fun for such a trashy premise. Although I could have done with less from inside the womb shots. But it is French, so you can pretend like it's classy. Should have watched this with the wife.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Another not technically seasonal beer but it's horror themed, so that count, right? Who am I kidding, no one is even reading this, they are just looking at the pictures. A thick opaque beer with lots of sediment floating around, it does make you slightly apprehensive to drink it considering it’s namesake. Like maybe that is little bits of a ground up corpse or something. Smells of sour apple and barley. Unassuming entrance quickly turns into an aggressive bitter liquorish chili affair. A deep brown chore to drink but that 10% abv really helps.

(2.5 out of 5)

Oct 19th
76). Mimic
77). Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse
78). The Other Side Of The Door
(1997) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2015) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2016) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: I remember this as Blockbuster rent bait back in the day, I enjoyed it but never really was amazed or anything. Revisiting it now with it's new cache as being the Del Toro Directors Cut I liked it more than I remember. I wonder what the differences are between this and the theatrical cut that I rented those two decades ago. The premise of Mimic has stuck with me all these years. The artificial bug released into the wild that was suppose to all die off after it's job was completed was fascinating to think about. A sort of evolution gone wrong cautionary tale, well wrong from our point of view at any rate. There is another weird connection to the Harvey Weinstein scandal with this movie, I think that is the 3rd Weinstein connection this challenge for me. Anyway a decent movie from a time when decent horror was few and far between.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Ah, this was just what I needed right now. A death in the family had me bummed out and this brought me right back up. This movie follows 3 nerdy 16ish year old boys who never left this movie's equivalent of the Boy Scouts. As you can imagine they are made fun of and ridiculed for this life choice, that is until a zombie outbreak puts their Scouting skills to the test, frequently to comedic effect. Great zombie fx, likable characters, well plotted and with plenty of nudity and even some great zombie boobs. There were a few comedic beats that did fall flat but overall I found great pleasure in watching this. I would put it just a hair underneath Zombieland in the zombcom sub-subgenre. Also where is that Zombieland sequel the internet keeps talking about?

(4 out of 5)

My Thoughts: Come on Indian lady, you can't trust white people with your people's ancient secret. There was no way she wasn't going to open that door! I had never heard anything about this movie, I suppose because it seems more targeted towards 20-35 year old women. Unlike the other similarly aimed horror movie I watched this challenge, XX, this one held some appeal. I know this is a very white thing to say but I always enjoy horror movies about white people living in foreign countries. You get that fish out of water, isolation in a populated area and it's just visually way more interesting. This one is about a family that moves to India, has a child killing car crash, then flirts with the other side and lets the boys spirit back into their life to mixed results. Interesting date movie with a few chills and hey, the bluray came with a coloring book as the insert!

(3.5 out of 5)
Oct 20th
79). Dracula: Dead And Loving It
80). Legend of the Witches
81). The Boy
(1995) (DVD)
(1970) (DVD) (FTV)
(2016) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: This was the first Mel Brooks movie that I didn't like as a kid. It just didn't appeal to me back then except for a few key scenes. But watching it now it really fits in with his body of work and is amusing enough that I was little disappointed over the lack of the blu on it. At the time I had thought Brooks was off his game but watching it now it does seem that this was more part of Leslie Nielsens slide in quality. This movie mainly spoofs the 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula, a movie that I really need to revisit again, and not much else. That might have also been one of my initial issues with this property but viewing it in the context of this challenge it played just fine. The comedy is a bit tired for the most part but there are still a few scenes that really do it for me; the staking being the main one. Also there is a Brooks commentary on here that I am looking forward to listening to.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: A black and white documentary on witchcraft, satanic rituals and the history of witch trials in England. The historical part of this documentary was somewhat interesting but unfortunately the majority of the content here is re-enactments of rituals and spells. Naked re-enactments. They are overly long and contain not really exemplary nudity. I suppose in 1970 when this came out the extended full frontal nudity was quite the draw. For the most part I wished I was just watching Haxxan again.

(2.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: SPOILERS AHEAD. And in the case of this movie I would really recommend going in fresh, not that the big reveal is so amazing it's just that it's so ridiculous that for full effect I would go in blind and maybe liquored up too. So, since you were warned; he was in the wall! He must have kept very well bathed or else you would have though that The Walking Dead's Maggie would have smelled him. The whole thing is almost an insult to the audience, you get invested in the ghost story and then, never mind, creepy guy in the wall. It's worth watching at least once for the experience, dumb fun.

(3 out of 5)

My Wife's Thoughts: It was good beginning but ending I really don’t like it. It’s just weird, so many questions about the middle, Braums is actually living. It's all story messed up. I can give 2.5 star. Yeah he should not live... if he not living might be better story. Oh my goodness, this movie.

(2.5 out of 5)
Oct 21st
82). Commentary For
Day Of The Dead
83). Lumpkin The Pumpkin
84). The Book Of Life 3D
(1985) (DVD) (FTV)
(1994) (VHS) (FTV) (WC#2)
(2014) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Solo track with the completely non-connected to the source material writer/director Roger Avery doesn't seem like it would be a worthwhile listen. And that is probably why I haven't listened to this one in all these years that I have owned this disc. Avery tends to name drop, retell childhood zombie stories and just generally geek out through the course of the track and it is amazing. It's almost like having a deep conversation with someone about Zombies. It has been a long time since I have had a zombie conversation that wasn't about The Walking Dead. This was a rare treat with some insider Savini and Tarantino stories to boot.

(4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: "I wish I could help kids like you but I'm just a pumpkin". Super corny, terrible animation and female characters voiced poorly my male 'actors'. Is this guy really reviewing a kids Halloween tape? I will say though that the songs were surprisingly well done, they didn't come off forced and had my daughter rocking back and forth to rhythm. It didn't work for me as an animated title but for it's target audience it does seem to hold appeal and it's not annoying enough for me not to throw it in once a year for my progeny.

(2 out of 5)

My Thoughts: Wow, night and day watching this after Lumpkin. The color just drips off the screen in this one and the 3D is fantastic. The story revolves around a bet between ruler of the Land of the Remembered and the ruler of the Land of the Forgotten. The subject of said bet being 'who gets the girl'. There is plenty of laughs here for both kids and adults. One thing that does strike you when watching it though is that there are a lot of... white voices... playing hispanic parts. I am not an anti-white washing champion or anything but it just felt a bit off in context. But hey it was a Guillermo del Toro production. I liked the movie but man I am wondering about this new Pixar movie now. Coming out 3 years later and looking like the same idea, think Armageddon and Deep Impact but those came out in the same year. I would think a twin film that came out this much later but still so close would be deeply impacted by the first (I know, I had to do it). But their Land of the Remembered did seem to pop more in the previews I saw. Anyway this is not about Coco this is about The Book of Life and it's worth a watch.
(4 out of 5)
Oct 22nd
85). Commentary For
Mimic
86). V/H/S: Viral
86.5) The Walking Dead S08E01
87.5) Would You Rather
(1997) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2014) (Streaming) (FTV)
(2017) (TV) (FTV)
(2012) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: "I was condemn to make a giant cockroach movie so I set out to make the best giant cockroach movie ever made." This is the first del Toro commentary I have listened to and it will not be my last. I loved how honest he was with how much Dimensions tried to screw over his movie at every step of the process. And really all things considered it's surprising that it tuned out as good as it did. It was a little odd how much curses, not that I am offended or anything, just weird somehow for an English As A Second Language individual to use use curse words like an inner city teenager. "I thank you for watching these things if you don’t like it don’t know why the fuck you are listing to me." He likens the Mimic as the imperfect child, something he loves despite his flaws. and hey he recommends Mimic 3, guess I am going to have to watch the other two movies in this set.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: What the hell? This isn't VHS, this is youtuber shit! In a franchise killing move they decide that young kids just can't relate to VHS tapes so we gotta do this on cell phones and GoPros. Seriously.... So name recognition is the game here. No creepy VHS tapes and what we do get is a lame magician episode, skater kids that you really want to die and a parallel dimension husbands who's run in with their parallel wives does not go well. The latter of the bunch was actually decent, but man dropping the whole point of the movie and then severely dropping the percentage of passable sequences makes this a pass in a big way. I could have been ok with this anthology under a different title, not that it would have done any better than meh. But under this title I feel cheated.

(2.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: Weird Al opening song! I have gotten out of the habit of watching each episodes complementary episode of The Talking Dead. I hope when I eventually buy the complete series set they are included as a special feature. Something to watch with my daughter in the future as opposed to being that old guy talking about this show that used to exist. Things went way too well for the group in this episode, I fear they are just luring us into a false sense of security. Come on guys, I would watch an America rediscovery/recolonization zombie series. It doesn't all have to be about group struggles. It is nice to be back in the fold as it were, over these last 7 years these characters just feel like a part of my life now. Nothing too extraordinary happened this episode but it was a cathartic reunion.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I had this odd thought while watching this one. There is going to be these movies that in the past almost no one would have seen but because they are "free" on Netflix everyone is going to know about. This was a meh movie that would have faded into obscurity, it's only real bit of intrigue being Jeffery Combs, but I know know tons of people that have actually sat down to watch Would You Rather? Now also there could have been some intrigue in the name for millennials.

(x out of 5)
Oct 23rd
88.5) John Dies At The End
88.75) The Magic School Bus: Inside The Haunted House
89). Scholastic Presents Halloween Tales
90). Let's Be Evil
(2012) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1994) (VHS) (FTV)
(1996) (VHS) (FTV)
(2016) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: John and his friend David inject a drug that opens their eyes to the more Cronenbergian aspects of the world. It is frequently difficult to follow the narrative of this movie with the time displacements/phantoms/lies being told by the main character but I found this horror comedy irreverently charming. You can really feel Don Coscarelli's sci-fi influence throughout the movie, it almost felt British. Also it has made me decide that I need to give Bubba Ho Tip another try after not liking it 15 years ago. Debated a 3.5 or a 4 on this one but just for being so original it deserves the 4.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: x

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
My Thoughts: Style over substance.

(x out of 5)
Oct 24th
91). The Purge: Anarchy
92). Timecrimes
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
(2014) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2007) (DVD)

(x out of 5)
My Thoughts: I had been looking to revisit Timecrimes for awhile now and Hispanic Horror night seemed like the perfect opportunity. Timecrimes, one of the best time travel movies ever made, follows a man through the rabbit hole of time travel. There is really nothing else that I can say without giving away everything and this is a movie you should watch fresh. And subbed, turn off that terrible dubb immediately. I can't wait to show this to my daughter with zero introduction someday. I last watched this movie for the 2011 Sci-Fi Challenge and my brief review consisted of this: "One of the best time travel movies I have seen in awhile. Reminds me of Primer but with no annoying characters. So far this is my pick of the challenge, just a completely satisfying blind buy, something that seems to have gotten more illusive over the years." Run don't walk.

(5 out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 25th
93). Dracula 3000
94-95). Helix S01E01-04
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
(2004) (DVD)
(2014) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: I was stoked when I first picked up this title years ago, I had found Dracula 2000 quite enjoyable and it co-stared one of my childhood crushes, and frequently naked ex-playmate, Erika Eleniak. But unfortunately this was not a Jason X/Leprechaun 4 style sequel to Dracula 2000 and Erika Eleniak remained unabashedly clothed throughout. Those things not withstanding this still could have been a cool movie, salvaging an old abandoned space ship with unbeknownst evil on board. But this was bad, real bad. The acting is terrible, they have all of 3 sets that the characters seem to be going to over and over throughout the film, the CG feel like it was done on a home computer about a decade prior, Dracula's costume looks like something you would get for $30 during halloween but none of that is as bad as the script. The things these actors are forced to say is atrocious, it feels like kid wrote this movie, like legit this seems like the caliber of writing I was doing back in the 6th grade. I don't give out 1 out of 5's very often but this movie has earned it. It reminds me of Zombie Lake in that aspect, every few years I think to myself 'it can't be as bad as I remember it' and it always is.

(1 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I needed something for the Sci-Fi Channel anniversary check and perusing their list of original movies was making me sad. So, I thought I would give Helix a try as it has been on my tentative 'to watch' list for awhile now. So I was intrigued after the first 2 episodes, intrigued enough to watch 2 more. After episode 4 I am still kind of into it but it's no Lost. Strong start, some explosions, some monkey-sicles, a 28 Days later bend and SyFy trying to throw around the word frak after BSG. I could never watch this again and not be the worse for it. I think I will take the series back up after the challenge but overall I think it is going to end up being a background show.

(2.5 - 3.5 out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 26th
97). Survival Of The Dead
98). The Body Snatcher
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
(2009) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(1945) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: The third movie in Romero's modern zombie trilogy (or maybe duology depending on if you want to include Land) is no Day of The Dead. Lackluster effects, acting and plotting stymie this project throughout. As I watched I kept wondering, why does a comedy like Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse have better gore than a George Romero Zombie movie?!? I did like the connection to Diary Of the Dead and man this movie does make you appreciate that one more. And while the gore was not up to spec they did attempt to go all out. There were also a few interesting bits of interplay between the characters but more than not I just found the relationships between people annoying and wished I was watching almost any episode of TWD instead. It's a sad swan song for the director of the best zombie movies ever made and one I don't think I will be revisiting anytime soon. But despite me not liking this movie I still love George Romero, he created a genre that has been a source of joy in my life and a lot of other good horror as well, you will be missed.

(2 out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 27th
99-102.5) Stranger Things 2
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
(2017) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Still captivating. I am a little blown out from nursing this cold and watching Stranger things all day. I am going to let this percolate a little and review it tomorrow.

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 28th
103.5) Corruption
104.5) Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It
[img] [/img]
[img] [/img]
(1968) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2007) (DVD) (FTV)

(x out of 5)
My Thoughts: I bought this to watch with my daughter, never really intending to watch it during the OHMC but it had Jigsaw in it and I needed the checklist check. This zero mortality 'Are You Afraid Of The Dark?' style movie follows a gothy girl in a new high school fighting for the affections of a meathead boy. On Halloween a mysterious shop appears and sells her a book that must not be read aloud, she reads it aloud. It was overly simplistic and very PG but this movie did surprise me a few times as well with a Carrie homage and a not half bad monster in fact I am somewhat suspicious that I have seen that monster puppet before... It's a good starter horror movie for kids as it does hit the formula pretty well and it won't make parents want to extract their eyeballs with spoons, just don't expect anything scarier than a kids tv show.

(3 out of 5)

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 29th
105.5) Demon Wind
106.5) Hellroller
107). The Walking Dead S08E02
[img] [/img]
(1990) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(1992) (Streaming) (FTV)
(2017) (TV) (FTV)
My Thoughts: This was always that movie in the video store. I always looked at it's Lenticular cover but never rented it, man I should have ponied up and bought it with the slip. I am 2 for two at getting the boring version release of the exciting VHS boxes with this and my non-raised Dead Pit release. In this movie a group of friends, an oddly large group of friends, tag along with their buddy to his old deserted family farm to try and unravel the mysteries of his lineage, demon havoc ensues. I liked the demon makeup but it suffered from being way too well lit, even during night scenes you can see everything and while this doesn't seem like a detraction when you can see everything all the time and it is all good then none of it is amazing. Another thing is that the movie seemed to drag in the last two acts, we get demons, lots of them, over and over again almost to the point where you get bored of them. Looking at this whole thing objectively I must put forward that my viewing of this title may have been tainted by a technical glitch in the bluray. Throughout the duration of the movie there was this high pitch sound that played that drilled it's self into my brain causing me to have to take frequent brakes from watching this movie who's over the top-ness I might have otherwise enjoyed. So even though I am rating this as slightly below average know that that is with this conceit in mind and that otherwise a non-audio assault version might have hit much much differently.

(2.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Video store trash made by an adult industry veteran to cash in on the direct to video craze. This lurid movie vaguely follows a wheelchair bound man who has had enough and decided that it is time to kill. It's a mess of Video Violence style ultra low budget gore, long shots and shitty VHS effects. Notable and nearly giving this title another half star is Michelle Bauer who does some swimsuit aerobics and a rather tepid bath scene. The reason I am not bumping the score though is that the picture quality is so atrocious that the whole movie isn't really worth watching. It's like I am watching a video made to play on an iPod blown up to play in a theater. Worst of challenge title for me, had a hard time deciding between this and Dracula 3000 because this one does have nudity but at least I can see what is going on in Dracula 3000.

(1 out of 5)

My Thoughts: Stranger Things preview during prime time tv, how the times they are a changin'. Wave two is not quite as streamlined and successful as wave one. The team takes some losses, a familiar face shows up and the entire audience wonders why no one brought some Moldova cocktails. Also, lets split up? Come the fuck on Rick.

(x out of 5)

(x out of 5)
Oct 30th
108). Dan Curtis' Dracula
109). Witchtrap
110). Commentary For
Witchtrap
111). Dinosaur Train: Night Train
(1974) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(1989) (DVD) (FTV)
(1989) (DVD) (FTV)
(2009) (TV) (FTV) (WC #3)

(x out of 5)
My Thoughts: You will notice that I have this viewing listed as DVD but have the blu-ray pictured. That is because this blu-ray was also having the same audio feedback issues that Demon Wind was, not quite as severe but still as dauntlessness piercing. So I am forced to watch Witchtrap on DVD like an animal. I have e-mailed Vinegar Syndrome about the issue and am waiting to hear back. The movie revolves around a team of paranormal investigators that are called to essentially exorcise a bed and breakfast. The set up and the acting are somewhat subpar here and the ADR is never in sync. I was about ready to call this one a lame duck until people started dying in extremely wtf ways. I won't spoil any of those deaths here but that is reason enough alone to watch this one. Add to that some Quigley nudity and decade of production being the 1980's and you have yourself a watchable movie. Just go in with low expectations. One thing that struck me here is that this might be the most like a real person I have ever seen Linnea Quigley act. Usually she is way more hyper realistic or sultry. But the redubbing of the movie could partially account for that too.

(3.5 out of 5)

My Thoughts: A hodgepodge cast and crew commentary with the director, producer, cinematographer and the actor that plays the slow groundskeeper? No Quigley? It's not like she doesn't make herself available for commentaries. This is a high spirited track monopolized mostly by the director. The same director as Witchboard, which is weird considering they had that big disclaimer on the box that this was not a sequel to Witchboard, you would have thought that was on there for legal reasons. They cover everything you would possibly be interested in the making of this property from stories about the first time sound girl who ruined all the on set recordings, having to linger on weird shots to hit 90 minutes for distribution, mpaa inequity and even the perkiness of Linnea Quigley's nipples. Not a bad track and in fact I think I had more fun listening to this commentary then I did watching the actual film. Oh, and the slow groundskeeper guy, he was the fat guy from Night of The Demons, I didn't recognize him at all, thats saying something about his performance too. One thing I really appreciated her was their willingness to laugh at the movie. Good track.

(4 out of 5)

(x out of 5)
More ------>

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-27-17 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Updates Galore