View Single Post
Old 09-05-17, 01:43 AM   #33
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Sept 30th
1). Eating Raoul
B-1). Coop: OKtoberfest
2). Commentary For
Eating Raoul
B-2). Samuel Adams: Harvest Hefe
(1982) (Blu-Ray)
(Oklahoma)
(1982) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(Massachusetts) (FTD)
My Thoughts: It's a wonder what presentation will do for your enjoyment of a movie. The first time I watched this was on DVD on a laptop now on Blu-Ray on my 4k tv it's like night and day! I think the collective opinion of The Killer Tongue would take quite the boost from a better presentation. Mary Woronov & Paul Bartel are an odd ball down on their luck couple who turn to murder for money after about half a dozen people try to rape Mary. It's a bizarre black comedy where all the murders are "justified" due to the victims status as perverts. Not a laugh out loud comedy as much as a look at these weird people type of affair. I like it but I can't really envision any situation where I would be recommending it to others. "Oh Paul, do you think you could buy another frying pan? I am just a bit squeamish about cooking in the one we are using to kill people."

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: A nice smooth mellow beer with a heavy caramel/barley Finnish. There is a slight hoppy bitter aftertaste. Not a bad beer though. A slightly better showing for this year for this Oklahoma based beverage. I must note that I enjoyed this only slightly chilled as I found out in previous years that it presents better that way.

(3 out of 5)

My Wife's Taste: Ohh, whats that? Oh, you going to write down that? Very fruity but thin, almost like added the water beer. Taste like beginners beer, I can drink maybe 3 or 4 cans.
My Thoughts: Initially I was disappointed that they didn't get Mary Woronov to participate but this turned into quite an interesting star-less track. Lots of great remembrances here about how they scammed Cannes and working on other low budget films. Of course the most interesting asides were stores about the leads. Such as how Paul would pretend that he and Mary were married much to her chagrin. "Every time he does that, his sex life gets better and mine gets worse" is something that is going to stay stuck in my head from this track. Another thing that was surprisingly entertaining was other unproduced scripts that the writer had written. Things like Franken-Car where a father builds his dead son into a car and even a sequel to Eating Raoul!

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: A very leafy, unrefined hops aroma on top. There is a very odd taste to this one, barley mixed with grapefruit.. maybe? Has a tart fruity finish but then you are hit with that more seasonally traditional cinnamon and nutmeg. As it warms it takes on notes of squash and liquorish. It kind of feels like a beer having an identity crisis. A summer ale desperately trying to stay relevant in fall. Really to have a decent beer you have to be one of two things; delicious or interesting. This was interesting.

(3.5 out of 5)

My Wife's Taste: No fuzz. Smells like cleaning supply. Taste not bad but it's not... its like... open the beer and forgets about it it seems. means day old beer, just cold. The you keep drinking taste become weird.
Oct 1st
3). The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
4). It
5). Commentary For
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
6.) Monstroid
[/COLOR]
(1986) (DVD)
(2017) (Theater) (FTV)
(1986) (DVD)
(1980) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Hey, its one of my very first DVD upgrades. Made more than 10 years after the original, this direct sequel has The Family moved out of the farm house and into an abandoned amusement park. This is the only real sequel to The Texas Chainsaw massacre everything else is just a remake or a reboot (Except maybe Texas Chainsaw 3D). And it is quite different in style to the original. The original being more psychological hell-scape where this one we actually see everything that everyone thought they saw in the original, a very Dante's Inferno and/or Halloween megastore feel. Dennis Hopper plays kinfolk of the wheelchair bound victim from the first movie, who's body they decided to relocate with them for some reason, and he is out for revenge on the chainsaw wielding family. It's a super schlocky 80's horror movie that and if you can get in the right mood a fun one as well.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Inevitably, like every other review for It you will see, I will be mainly comparing this with the original. This was technically the better movie, the stakes felt more real. Even though the movie, like its predecessor, is a string of near misses you feel like the kids are actually in danger this time. They get cut, they get bit, they get thrown around, the creepy father is the rape-y father, the clown is scary. But that was also one of my major complaints. Tim curry could make the clown likable, even though it was obvious he was just pretending. This time they decided that even while trying to entice that he should be deranged, there is no way Georgie in this version would reach in for his boat after the way Pennywise was acting. The story didn't include he adult part of the novel, which was a good idea considering that was the weakest part of the original mini series, but it did leave it open for an adult sequel. It was a really good movie and I legit jumped quite a few times. And even though it might be not my favorite King adaptation it probably is the best one to date.

(4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Given todays theme I thought it would only appropriate to watch the Tobe Hooper audio commentary for TCM2. While I am sure that I have listened to it before nothing really struck me as retread here. Tobe had a gravely voice and its a pleasure listening to him narrate. He goes way way into character specifics that no one would have ever known in an interesting universe expansion way. But by far the most interesting part of this commentary was Hooper talking about how real skeletons where actually cheaper to buy then plastic ones and how most of the skeletons in the movie were real. And guess where from? Fucking India! God I want there to be some sort of documentary about the Indian skeleton farms of the 1980's, all of Hollywood seems to have used them! One nit pick though is that there is too much silence here about 1/8th or so of the time is spent watching the movie as opposed to commentating on it, otherwise this track would have garnered another extra half star.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: A terrible rubber monster movie who's burden is made about half a star better by it's titillating host; Elvira. Polluted runoff from a concrete factory (how much pollution can the creation of concrete really yield?) creates a lake monster that terrorizes and eats people from the small Columbian village where this movie is set. It's an 80's made, 50's style monster movie that is only mildly interesting due to being set in Columbia. Aside from that and Elvira there is no other redeeming quality to this property.

(2 out of 5)
B-3). Dogfish Head: Punkin Ale
7). House By The Cemetery
(Delaware) (FTD)
(1981) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I have been wanting to drink this for years. Purportedly one of the first pumpkin beers, Dogfish Head’s Pumkin Ale is not as weird as their brand image might convey. It had a pleasant floral, dare I say fall, scent on top. The beer its self starts light and then thickens and becomes more complex on your pallet. Starts with a super mild, almost imperceptible amount of nutmeg and a hint of pumpkin and finishes with an unusual peppery bitterness on the back of the tongue. It’s quite a palatable beer but I really want my pumpkin beers to slap me in the face with either pumpkin or pumpkin spice flavoring. Good but not distinctive enough for the brand, can’t really see myself buying this over Midis Touch outside of a challenge review situation.

(3.5 out of 5)

My Wife's Taste: Creamy. Very easy to drink. Light flavor. I like it.
My Thoughts: Boobs in the first 30 seconds, thats how you know Mr. Fulci is a pro. This is your classic, or maybe not so classic, haunted house rift. A couple with a small child (the blond Italian kid that is in every Italian horror movie in the early 80s), move into a mysteriously troubled house. The man is tasked to pick up the work of the previous tenant who went crazy there, there is some Shinning-esk kids stuff and the big question is; whats in the basement? These American set Italian movies always feel a bit weird with their peculiar dubbing but I have come to appreciate it over the years, it adds a certain ambiance. Also man I feel like I am never going to be able to afford a house like this at this rate. Does one really get good deals on murder houses I wonder? Anyway back to the movie, it has an excellent creepy/mysterious vibe, over the top gore and is a great example of Fulci's work. For those who have seen it recently I wonder why the nanny was so weird? You get the vibe that she is in on everything and then that thing happens in the basement...

(4 out of 5)
Oct 2nd
8). Beyond The Gates
9). Poltergeist II: The Other Side
10). The Awful Dr. Orlof
11). Commentary For
The Awful Dr. Orlof
[/COLOR]
(2016) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1986) (Blu-Ray)
(1962) (DVD) (FTV)
(1962) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: This poorly acted, low budget, nostalgia cash grab is nearly saved by it's plot and filming location. After their father disappears two brothers reunite to close down their dads video rental store. While boxing up the merchandise they stumble upon a weird VCR board game in get sucked into a Jumanji like battle for their very souls. The video store (or more likely the private collection) they use to film in is a fascinating back drop and I liked Barbara Crampton's involvement even if they didn't give her that great of dialog. The art direction, or lack their of, of the board game and the caliber of the rest of the move are just lacking to much for this to have a decent score. This exact plot, done better though would be highly watchable.

(2.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I gave serious thought to buying the Scream factory releases of Poltergeist 2 & 3. Maybe if the had been in the same set. But separately at $20 a piece I had to pass for the bare bones blu-ray $5 set. Now maybe if they come out with the 40+ minute longer cut of Poltergeist 2, then we can talk. I have always liked how this was a next day sequel. Things just keep going awry for Freeling family. One of things about this movie is it almost feels like you are watching an extended deleted ending from the first movie. It is so similar in tone. No reinvention here, give us more of the same household items going crazy and messed up hallucinations. And that is one of the reasons it could never live up to the original, also old guys at the mall aren't that scary. I did love the family dealing the insurance implications of a paranormal house implosion, the Taylor and the car subplot and a very good reason to never swallow the worm. One thing I noticed while watching this is that there was sooo sooo much overlap with Insidious, like a lot. Homage? Cultural zeitgeist? I always liked this one the least as a kid but as an adult I am worming up to it.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: That opening score is very assaulting on the nerves, I suppose the idea is to be disorienting so that you can feel a bit drunk like the woman on screen. First off, big thanks to GoldenWheels as this was part of a prize I won a challenge or two back and not something I would have ever bought for myself (so, thank you for broadening my challenge). This movie is set in France just after the Bluebeard murders and centers around a doctor who has his deformed lobotomized man servant killing women so that he can use their skin to fix his burnt daughter. The main bill here is split with the detective who is trying to solve the case. the movie is a little by the numbers but entertaining. One thing that stuck out to me (and which I have undoubtably mentioned before in previous reviews) is I love this old style European architecture and furniture, everything looks so classy. Makes me want to build a castle. Although that would probably scream "rob me, rob me, please rob me". One other peculiarity was how much nudity there was in this black and white film, nothing excessive but it is so weird to see breasts in black and white like that. I guess it is a 1960's film. Anyway decent watch and cheers to GoldenWheels.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I typically love these historical infotainment critic tracks. This track, narrated by a writer for the now defunct Video Watchdog, is chocked full of information about Jess Franco, the other Dr. Orlof movies and Early European horror in general. Until now I didn't even know that Orlof was a Django-esk thing, I was under the impression that this was a one and done. Unfortunately though as I as this is a side of horror that I don't really know much about and have less interest in then slightly more contemporary euro horror I found it hard to connect to the source material. Technically a good track and the guy had a decent voice but I just personally found the material not that compelling.

(3 out of 5)
Oct 3rd
12). mother!
13-17). Scream: The TV Series S01E01-E10
B-4). Rahr & Sons: Oktoberfest
18). Monsters
[/COLOR]
(2017) (Theater) (FTV)
(2015) (Streaming) (FTV)
(Texas)
(2010) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: WTF? That movie was an introverts nightmare. And coincidentally exactly how I feel every time my wife has over more than 3 friends. This movie is just so uncomfortable. You get to hate these people, you get just a little relief and then things go off the fucking rails. I don't even know how to do a plot intro this, outside of saying; Jennifer Lawrence is renovating an old house with her writer husband when people ruin everything. The term orgy of destruction is something I wanted to use in this review but I am too over this property to care. I feel like Peter Griffin saying "it insist upon it's self" when thinking about the message or the thought/emotion that this property is trying to convey. I was going to grade it a 3 out of 5 but I begrudgingly have to give it a half star for making me feel, that in it's self is a notable accomplishment. Even if I didn't like what it made me feel.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: After the diatribe from our local troll I decided a TV show would be in order for my next viewing. I was a bit apprehensive of this MTV produced outing but was quite pleasantly surprised when it hit all the notes of a good slasher movie. I liked all the characters and the 10 episode length really let us develop feeling for them and I gotta admit I was thrown when they revealed the killer at the end of the season. The self referential Jamie Kennedy stand in was spot on and a shoe in for a young Topher Grace. I liked the way how intrigue texting and social media were to the plot but they misstepped her a little too having it all be some weird fake platforms. Surly Line and Snapchat and whatever else would have been quick to agree to anything for MTV to use them. Also in reality all of those kids would be vaping, constantly. It is all high school kids do. There were few nagging things here or there, like tons of abandoned building that all seemed to still have power, but in the end it was all forgivable. But the one big hiccup for this show was the sleep deprivation/hallucination/ghosts giving me clues episode. Cut that out and this is a solid 4/5 with peaks in the 4.5 range (episode dependent). All and all I am glad I watched it. And I will be catching season 2.

(3-4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Starts with an overly floral hoppy scent then turns into an interesting trick beer. Starts like an IPA and as you are prepping for that style of bitter after bite it turns into a surprisingly delicious caramel marzen. Every sip feels like its going to break that mold but it is consistently complex. I like this one. For transparency, I must admit to having lost this bottle last year and having found it to drink for this year. The extra year of aging could have potentially affected the flavor. Annnnd after looking at last years review (with was awful) I definitely suggest storing this beer for a least a year before you actually drink it. It's weird how something like that could affect the taste so so much. Beer, unlike spirits, is always changing in the bottle.

(4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't connect to it. Perhaps I was just 15 years late to the party and if I had seen it before Cloverfield... I mean obviously there is a fanbase here as a sequel was made. This movie is set in a post alien contamination situation i.e. The Mist. It is contained to the country of Mexico with a large Trump-ian wall protecting the states. A couple of Americans miss the last boat out and have to travel through the contamination zone to get home. There is a forced romantic connection between the two leads, the effects are not that great and the art direction is very lets make glowing octopi. Still there are moments here and there of the two exploring abandoned cities that are highly effective. But overall as a first time view today, it was just meh.

(3 out of 5)
Oct 4th
19-25). Scream: The TV Series S02E01-E14
B-5). New Belgium: Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin
B-6). Goose: Fest Bier
26). Hotel Transylvania 3D
[/COLOR]
(2016) (Streaming) (FTV)
(Colorado) (FTD)
(Illinois) (FTD)
(2012) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: As with most sequels, this did not quite live up to the original. There was a bit too much repeat, everyone has a secret that makes them look guilty and they are always showing up randomly "____ why are you here?" It kept it interesting enough though and frequently was good. Did enjoy all the horror references, the blackmail of a main character in the first act was quite effective too. But if felt like it dragged a little this time too. I was thinking to myself around episode eight, this is it, tie it off and put a bow on it. Also the big reveal this time felt forced and didn't quite add up. One thing I really enjoyed about this season though is they took the last two episodes and made it essentially a sequel movie. It was it's own little story... actually I guess they pretty much did I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, taking the survivors and trapping them on an island with a new killer. But it was fun to have some more time with these characters and it didn't drag. Those last 2 episodes were 80 well oiled minutes. Season 3 is set to be a reboot but I have watched so much of this in the last few days that I don't think I really care about this universe without our main characters, in fact I am a little slasher'd out (watching what equates to 12 slasher movies here in this last little bit. I think something a little less real is in order.

(3-4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Hey, it actually smells like pumpkin (not pumpkin spice but actual pumpkin). Hard to describe the flavor on this one. It starts out like a liquored up concoction made with non0sweet old-fashioned candies. And then it has a very smooth finish that comes back and hits yo with this peppery wasabi pear after bite. Digging the uniqueness on this one.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Delicious white great and wheat scent almost too aromatic though, kind of like a fabric softener. Starts smooth and then hits you with a surprising mid and back of mouth bitterness. Very heavy barley on the aftertaste, almost over bearing so. I had one of these pre-challenge and I really liked it so I am going to reserve judgment until I have another. Post beer 2: ok it’s working a little better now, still have that odd lingering barley taste but I am much more ok with it at this point. Still further investigation is required though. Post beer 3: Well, it taste much better now even though it taste the same. I suppose it was not as great as I had originally thought maybe it was just beer 2 or 3 for that day. Passable but nothing special with this fake german beer.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: It's not good. But you knew when you saw Sandlers name attached to it that it wouldn't be. Visually it looked great, the 3D popped and it has tons of monsters in it. But man, the execution... lowest common denominator type stuff. Frankenstein farting. I think of another recent kids movie in this genre; Paranorman, which was amazing. And it just makes me so sad for this property. And that this made like four times as much as Paranorman. It had the money and the visual appeal to be great. If only any other studio had made it, any other studio. Almost a 2 out of 5 but I gave it another half star because my eyeball liked it. Very disappointing though. I probably should have saved this to watch with my daughter, as at 2 and 3/4ths she is much more the target audience for this project than me. I should also note that this review is a few beers in and I am probably a little more forgiving now then I might normally be inclined to be.

(2.5 out of 5)
Oct 5th
27). Bad Moon
28). Scream Bloody Murder
B-7). Anthem: Ogle-toberfest
29). The Awakening
[/COLOR]
(1996) (DVD) (FTV)
(1973) (DVD) (FTV)
(Oklahoma)
(2011) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Hey, a subset pick that has been hanging out in my 'to watch' pile for years! This was a surprisingly competent werewolf movie. I loved the final were wolf make up and it had a surprising amount of gore for a mid nineties movie (considering the predominant attitude the MPAA still brandished at the time). In fact I was prized to call this one the last great 80's werewolf movie (despite it being made in '96) until they had to go and spoil it with that terrible Star Trek 6 computer morph for the transition of the beast. Obviously this came out after both An American Werewolf and The Howling so they couldn't go back to the days of the cut away transformation but man without that one effect this would play like the werewolf contemporary of Arachnophobia. The one gripe I have is everything felt a bit too safe for our main characters, we knew the dog was going to protect them the whole time. And the final werewolf make up in this did seem suspiciously familiar, almost like I had seen it in another movie. Another thing was that this movie was really short, the credits started to run at the 76 minute mark. But it was an enjoyable quicky.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: There were a bunch of these psycho derivative mommas boys killers in the 60s and 70s. Usually involving the damaged lead falling for a girl and then having weird Oedipal interactions with her, maybe with a little patricide in the mix. And this movie was no mold breaker. A boy decides to kill his father one day, later after becoming a man and comping home from the mental institution he kills his mom and her new beau. Then he gets obsessed with a prostitute and you can probably guess the rest. Found it kinda boring and trite also everyone dies so easily in this, rock to the head your dead. Stand out scenes would be him killing the black maid, the bound prostitute hopping around the house trying to let people at the door/on the phone know she is there and of course when said prostitute learns she can use sex against him like a weapon. Because you know mommas boy killers can never have normal sex.

(2.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: An aggressive hoppy scent and it smells like something I will not enjoy, like an IPA (not a back ally rape, I just re read that first sentence and was like, smells like something I won't enjoy? WTF). It is light and drinkable with a weird yeasty white grape finish (fermented berries?). This is another hold over beer from last years stash that was misplaced and comparing this review with last year it does seem to have taken on additional characteristics as a result for the better. I think I am going to purposefully drawer a few beers for next year as so far the aging has seemed to help them.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Set in the early 1920, The Awakening follows a female professional paranormal debunker who's skepticism is pushed to the limit when she stumbles onto something she can't explain. Essentially a British turn of the century Skully, I loved how British sassy she was too. It's quite entertaining watching her do her investigation. In fact now I am really in the mood for some paranormal investigation type material. Might have to work 1408 into the mix here in the next few days. I loved the setting and the mystery chasing, Brittish ghost seem much more proper than their unruly American compatriots. One downside to the movie was the big reveal which seemed way too coincidental, interesting but stretched the suspension of disbelief a bit. Although I am saying that about a movie about ghost, so go figure.

(3.5 out of 5)
Oct 6th
30). Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
31). The Brothers Grimm
32). Commentary For
The Brothers Grimm
33). The Purge
[/COLOR]
(2016) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2005) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2005) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2013) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I actually like this movie. Another PG-13 zombie movie, not quite as good as Warm Bodies but still surprising what they can get away with in a sub-R picture. Based an a favorite books of high school kids being forced to read Jane Austen the plot of this movie is... dumb... really dumb. The zombie plague was brought over from the Americas (or maybe started by the French) has enveloped England. A large 'Attack On Titan'-esk wall has been built around London and then in a further circle out there a deep abyss has been dug in order to keep the zombie onslaught at bay. Aristocrats train for combat in the Orient during childhood... it really all just sounds like something someone in the 7th grade thought up one day. But despite the adolescent plotting it is actually quite fun to see proper ladies and gentlemen fighting the undead. It almost feels like watching a comic book. A little ultra gore would have been nice though. You would have thought someone would have though to shoot a little extra for the films optical release.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Lena Headey is in everything! I think I might have to make a small Lena Headey marathon today, I do have The Purge in my 'to watch' pile. I remember thinking to myself, when this and Van Helsing came out, that it seemed mildly interesting but wondered if there was an audience for it. This movie did turn out better than I had thought, it had slipped by me that it was a Terry Gilliam directorial effort. And he always adds a little something fantastical to everything he does, a weird British bend that American productions set in Europe don't have. Matt Damon and Heath Ledger are The Brothers Grimm, a duo of fairytale hunting hucksters who are arrested and tasked with doing for real what they only pretend to do the past. An interesting juxtaposition with Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters, but no where near as good. I did find enjoyment here, despite the terrible CGI this movie (as with most Gilliam production) was visually very appealing, had a great cast and a passable story. Something that will be fun to watch with my daughter in a few years.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Still counts as part of my Heady mini-marathon. This is a solo track with the director and he starts it off by saying that this was a script he didn't like but he was out of work at the time and that was pretty much the tone of track. Gilliam was very demurred, frequently sleep inducing and while this track typically covered stuff that I enjoy hearing about I just couldn't get into Gilliam's renditions. If only they had one other person in the booth with him, or if they had waited and the track was recorded after Heath Ledgers death, that might have added some interesting complexity. But overall unless you are a Gilliam super fan, skip this track.

(2 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Black hair Heady looks weird. I really should have saved this for my wife, I think she would have loved this movie. 1 night per year everything, including murder is legal, and one non-participant family gets on the wrong side of a murderous mob. Big question, would I be a participant or a shut in? Probably with my family I would have to be a shut it, but if I was single or they were on vacation... I don't know. I suppose I would still have to be a shut in as it seems that only people with groups would really be successful in staying alive at this game. I had avoided this movie for several years as it seemed... non-complex shall we say. But I found it to be quite enjoyable. Great house under siege movie with a twist. And a plot that is really interesting to think about. I will most assuredly have to catch the sequel, I own the threequel and I feel like I am not going to miss much if I skip the second one but hey, I'll wait until I can pick up Anarchy. There is, what has to be a terrible, spoof on Netflix I think I am going to catch next though.

(4 out of 5)
Oct 7th
34). Meet The Blacks
35). Deathgasm
36). Phenomena
37). Commentary For
Phenomena
[/COLOR]
(2016) (Streaming) (FTV)
(2015) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1985) (Blu-Ray)
(1985) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: This was bad. I felt like kind of a racist even watching it but I suppose I am not really the target audience here. It is essential a black spoof of The Purge. Although the titled protagonist seem to have forgotten about the Purge in what is clearly a clunky way to provide exposition for explaining the purge. Which, com on guys, if you are going to spoof something just assume your audience is in on the joke and spoof it. The characters are all Scary Movie-esk charcuteries of black people sans the comedian lead Mike Epps. For the most part painfully unfunny I must admit to 2 or 3 good laughs all based on racially topical humor. In fact that is pretty much the whole point of the entire movie. Not to be a spoof in the same way Scary Movie was but more of a 'gee aren't white people racist' kind of movie.

(1.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I liked this one, although admittedly I would have like it a little more when I was younger. It had a very The Gate feeling to it, in fact if there hadn't been a The Gate 2 this could have been that property. A bullied metal head starts a band, gets the girl and summons demons. Frequently hilarious but also just as frequently mark missing this uneven comedy has some nudity, some nice ultra gore and genuinely compelling character and music. Also the New Zealand setting added a bit of nice flavor to this one. There has been talk of a sequel in much the same way there has been for Tucker And Dale Vs Evil and the chances of it getting made at this point seem to be about the same. There is an interesting making of history behind this movie, I might have to track down a physical copy should a commentary exist.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: When I first saw this movie I was maybe 13ish, and I remember ogling these slightly older girls. Watching this now in my early 30s I do feel a little creepy. This is the first time I have seen this movie on anything other than VHS and it looks amazing. I love we get this weird 116 minute English/Italian hybrid cut. I am seeing more and more of this on blu-ray which I love. But it is really something that should have been done way more in the DVD days. The movie is just an all over the place, ultra stylized, Argento Giallo. His number two film, right after Suspiria (depending on who you talk to of course). There is something about American girls in trouble abroad that just does it for me. Maybe its that added insecurity of not being on your home turf, not necessary knowing the language and customs, it adds an elevated level of danger to the mix. Loved the use of music, Goblin synth is always a winner and the more contemporary rock interludes felt a lot like some of the musical cues in Deathgasm. This is one of those classics of the genre and I am thrilled about the upgrade from my old ohs tape. Also looking forward to watching this with my daughter in a few years.

(5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: For the first 5 minutes or so of this track I was dreading sitting through the whole thing because I could not stand the voice of this Argento scholar. It sounded like he has stayed up all night yelling into the wind, got a cold and then came to do this track with no sleep. But. The information he does out throughout the track is so interesting and compelling that it overcame this initial first impression. There is a ton of interesting stuff here, the insanity inducing wind, the chimp rage and one of my favorite things in these sort of retrospective tracks; the reading of bad reviews. It's actually kind of amazing as I initially really disliked this guy and now I kind of want to buy his book. Also trying to find interviews where Jennifer Connelly actually talks about Phenomena on the internet is frustratingly difficult. I need to know if your finger really had to be sewn back on Jennifer, pm me if you are reading this.

(4.5 out of 5)
38). 1408
B-8). Hoss: Oktoberfest Lager
39). Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D
40). Commentary For
(2007) (DVD)
(Colorado) (FTD)
(2015) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
(2007) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: My last Pepsi points freebie! I didn't really care for this when I first got the disc and I am sure that I opted for the extended version so I thought I would give the theatrical a spin this time and see if it faired better. Perhaps it was just a case of not being in the right mood when I first spun this disc but I had a much more enjoyable experience on my second view some 9ish years later. Although some of it could also be that now I have a daughter and can relate more to the character. Not that the family chemistry is really a high mark for this property, I like john Cusack but him interacting with other people is always somehow awkward. In this movie he plays a jaded writer who's bread and butter is haunted hotels. The only problem is they never actually seem to be haunted, that is until room 1408. I found this film to be highly enjoyable. Given the distance between now and my FTV of this title I don't know if it is appropriate to attribute my new fondness of it to the theatrical over the directors cut. So I am going to watch the latter with commentary here and see. But tomorrow, right now I need some thrills, lets watch something that will make me want to turn all the lights on. That is another thing about this one, it feels very safe for the viewer somehow, like a horror action movie.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Barley aroma on top that is almost over shadowed by the sharp scent of hops. Reminds me of summer some how. Starts smooth and creamy then there is this unusual hop bitterness that just teases the sides of your tongue. And it closes with a sharp liquorish and burnt wheat aftertaste. Not what I was expecting at all based on the smell. It taste like a fall beer. I could see myself drinking this around a campfire or at a bbq. But really lets face it I am just going to stay inside and watch horror movies all month. I like the fall feeling here, even if it is a bit weird. Also as it warms it develops a very pleasant warm burnt caramel flavor.

(4.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Wow, almost forgot to add this one to the list. What does that say about this movie? So, you will notice the tagline of this movie is "For the first time you will see the activity." Wasn't not seeing it the whole point of the franchise? The fear of the unknown, the formless, intangible evil? I would venture to say that is what made this series scary. To start out with the house is even bigger, ever want to feel like a failure at life; then watch a Paranormal Activity sequel (except 5). They did choose a cool retro cash-in way to show the activity by having the family find an strange old VHS camera. And the spectral 3D in this was fantastic! But unfortunately it showed too much, also it was just too similar to every other film in the series (except 5). All the loose ends in the series are tied up here so I suppose as a finishing chapter it was ok but it was also the least scare inducing entry in the series.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: This was an enjoyable lively track with the director and the screenwriters. This film apparently went thru a lot of variations and it was interesting listening to the group debate the merits of what stayed in as opposed to what was chucked. But my favorite part is when they would meander off topic and start talking about other movies. Also this added something to my 'to watch list'! At one point during the track one of the screenwriter ponders if they had gone a little too Night Of The Wolf. So I have that now for sure. On a comparison note, the theatrical version is way better here, watching the directors cut first is what put that bad taste in my mouth for this property all those years ago. I wonder if I should leave myself a little note in the DVD case for when I get the itch to give this one another pin in a decade or so.

(3.5 out of 5)
Oct 8th
41-42. Fear The Walking Dead S03E09-12
43). Zombex
44.) Fear The Walking Dead S03E13-14
45). Train To Busan
[/COLOR]
(2017) (Streaming) (FTV)
(2013) (DVD) (FTV)
(2017) (TV) (FTV)
(2016) (Streaming) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Water, not something the other group really has to worry about. Good tip, don't go into the desert during the zombie apocalypse. Also it is getting a little frustrating that everyone can't work together. Put down the zombie uprising and rebuild society already. But I suppose then there wouldn't be a show. These were a few ok episodes from the second best zombie show on TV. Highlights were the Asian kingpins, "we're going to have to remove it" and the bonding experience that is a mega herd. I am glad we finally got back onto the zombie threat, there was way too much bland factor rivalry. It was starting to remind me of season 3 of Lexx.

(3-3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Ultra low budget zombie movie about a zombie inducing drug distributed to people in Baton Rouge post hurricane in the guise of anti-anxiety pills. The movie follow a conspiracy theorist radio personality (doing an inanely bad southern accent), a token cool guy and two lesbian strippers that are road tripping to Texas for a cure. Poorly written, acted and shot this film did have the foresight to rent a few low end genre personalities for a few hours. And there was one flashback scene that took all the action bits from the first 5/6 of the movie and condensed it into about 30 seconds and set it to some decent metal. I recall thinking after that shot; wow, I wish I had been watching that movie the whole time. And that is really about the only good things I can say about this movie. It's ultimately a waste of time and something I plan on never watching again.

(1.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: There is nothing like a bad zombie movie to make you really appreciate TWD. One forgets that zombies don't need air. There are probably many a bunker, submarine and of course space station that just have zombies ambling around in a zero oxygen environment. A trap for the future. Interesting to think about in the post apocalyptic world. We have several back on the road again segments as the family finally leaves the ranch. All of which are way better than anything in Zombex (aside from the ladders brief nudity). Nick is back on drugs, walking with zombies and eating brain stems. And of course Ofelia, poor Ofelia. It will be nice when I am older and the complete series mega box sets are released and I can just stew in this universe for days. The thought of it is making me kind of want to revisit Lost again. Thats horror, right? I mean it has a smoke monster, and sand, sand gets everywhere.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Wow. The most compelling zombie movie I have seen in a long time. I had heard all the positive buzz about this one but was pleasantly surprised at both the quality and scope of this picture. The movie follows a train full of passengers on their way to Busan during the onset of a zombie apocalypse. True these were more of the more popular 28 Days Later type of zombies but man I didn't care. I loved everything about this movie, even most of the Korean humor played ( which is generally not typical for Asian movies for me). I hope to see more Asian horror of this caliber! Disclaimer though, I might have liked this movie a little more than normal because it was so easy to identify with the father and his daughter, can't wait to watch this one with mine.

(5 out of 5)
Oct 9th
46). XX
47). Nightmare Sisters
B-9). Spaten: Oktoberfestbier
48). Commentary For
Nightmare Sisters
[/COLOR]
(2017) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1988) (Blu-Ray)
(Germany)
(1988) (Blu-Ray) (FTV)
My Thoughts: A horror anthology for women by women. And that is exactly what it is and in fact I didn't even realize until right now that XX was meant be chromosomes, wow. Stores range from a mom who's family stops eating, to a mom who loves her son even though he is a Rosemary's baby child, to a mom who is trying to save her daughters birthday by Weekend at Bernie's-ing her dead husband around the house. It is legit a horror movie for 40 year old women, it is so weird. To be fair there is one story about a woman having a bad camping experience who isn't a mom. I suddenly wonder if my mom would like this, I don't think she would... Well maybe if they didn't open with that first story I could get her on board. This a movie aimed at an audience that will primarily not be interested in watching it, interesting to get a different point of view though.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I watched this a few challenges back on DVD and my big take away from that experience was: "For a movie that stars the 80's scream queen dream team there is an unforgivably low level of picture quality on this disc. If there is one thing (or two things) that you want to see with some clarity...". Well that issue has been rectified with the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-Ray release. The movie is not any better, but you weren't really watching the movie for the plot or the acting. But for connoisseurs of such trash this is a worthwhile upgrade. And knocks this title up another half star.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: This Heineken style oktberfest brew has a light hoppy lemon scent on top and a bit of a sour twinge when it enters your mouth. That quickly dissipates and you are left with this unpleasant bitter liquorish tastes racing down the sides of your tongue. The flavor left in your mouth after you swallow is that of a pill that you have let sit in your mouth a little too long, a lingering unpleasant bitterness. Now if you try to drink this without tasting it it does go down smooth and it does becomes much more palatable at room temperature. That Heineken taste dies and is replaced my a hollow fruity beer with a familiar caramel marzen finish. But it was little too late.

(1.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: This commentary track by 80's trash superstar and modern near gay porn director David DeCoteau and scream queen superstar Linnea Quigley is a great listen. I loved it when they were both ogling Michelle Bauer, talking about USA Up All Night and really focusing on how much Linnea was licking that guys chest. Very entertaining track that is a must listen for any fan of 80's video store shlock. The only thing that could have made this better is if Michelle and Brinke had participated. And then what do you know, I was looking up alternate art for this entry and find out that there is not one but two more commentary tracks recorded for this title! Both on some long OOP dvd that I am not paying $30 for. And one of those tracks is Brinke and Michelle! Why did I cheap out and buy the DVD with no supplements! Probably because it came with other movies... but man, if I had only known. And that is where that review ends. Everything else here is just filler to even out the columns of my list. I figured of all the reviews on here who is really going to read the review of the commentary of Nightmare Sisters? But if you are reading this I do applaud you, this is kind of an easter egg. Not that it is hidden or anything more shoehorned into mediocrity.

(4 out of 5)
Oct 10th
49). Buffy The Vampire Slayer
B-10). Leinenkugel's: Harvest Patch Shandy
50). Zombie Lake
[/COLOR]
(1992) (VHS)
(Wisconsin)
(1981) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Ah, the 90's, I remember when this was all just normal. I watched the tape a lot when I was younger. This was what young SterlingBen expected high school to be like when he grew up. So needless to say I was a fan of this bloodless, vampire rom-com. I was even a little pissed even that they did this TV series and didn't have really any connection to the movie (something I got over). This movie is Clueless with vampires, a unique 90's horror time capsule. And as sad as it sounds I am going to have the soundtrack stuck in my head for days.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Heavy sediment and pumpkin spice on top (for non-beer drinkers essentially it smells like pumpkin spice sprinkled over dirty marina water, a lot of pumpkin spice). Sharp almost fruity start quickly turns into this creamy mellow weirdness. Pumpkin pie soda? I had this canned a few years back and it was much much better this time around. An interesting and very festive brew.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Every 8 or more years I think to myself, maybe you were just not in the right mood the last time you watched Zombie Lake. The plot synopsis on this one is solid: A small European town kills a bunch of Nazis and dumps there bodies in the local lake only to have them come back years later as murderous zombies set to reek their revenge on the townspeople. I remember reading about this in Creature Feature back in the day and pining to see it. And then finally seeing it on a weird video stores shelf but being too awkward to rent it. I bought this DVD back when I paid MSRP for everything (back before I knew about DVDTalk and was taught the ways of the bargain forum) and was super disappointed that this was not a Romero or even a Feluci style zombie outing. These zombies are just slathered with green face paint, they do get out their and kill from time to time (when they aren't visiting their kids) but really they just prefer to attack women who are swimming in the lake (or frequently swimming pool dressed up to be a lake). There is large swaths of this movie that are pantomimed with zero dialog, the dubbing otherwise is terrible but not a bad as the acting and the effects. It's just all around a big disappointment. I will say that the town Mayor's mini castle is pretty awesome and there is at least copious nudity but that is not enough to save this one.

(1.5 out of 5)
Oct 11th
51). The Skull
52). Hands Of The Ripper
53). Munchies
54). Zombie Self Defense Force
[/COLOR]
(1965) (Streaming) (FTV)
(1971) (DVD) (FTV)
(1987) (DVD) (FTV)
(2006) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: Oooo, spooky skull movie. So I was expecting, given the date of production, for this to be some lame Elvira fodder picture. But it turned out to be quite entertaining. A challenge surprise for me much like Terror Train was a few years back. Speaking of which, this movie stars Lee and Cushing as rich collectors of the occult. The scenery for both their movie homes and these collection of occult artifacts are amazing, I am kind of a little sad that I youtube's this and don't have a proper blu to ogle. So, it's business as usual until Cushing's character acquires the cursed skull of the Marquis de Sade and strange things start happening. I dug the atmosphere and the plot and more importantly the props. This is yet another movie where real human remains are used on screen. Maybe a checklist check next year? Although I must admit, lists of said movies are just not compiled on the internet, I've looked. I have also looked into buying a skull which, in the states at least, seems unreasonably pricey. The movie was an entertaining equivalent to Lee and Cushing's hammer offerings of the time.

(3.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: And conversely to The Skull this is an actual Hammer movie but without either of their staple iconic duo. Set around 1900 the daughter of Jack the Ripper, scarred by witnessing the death of her mother, is an orphan who's triggered to kill by gaudy jewelry. It was a passable movie, toted as one of Hammers more grizzly films it dabbled in a lot of interesting avenues. There was hypnotism, spiritualist debunking, old timey prostitutes and several tourist attraction type settings (I have got to visit that place where you can whisper to someone across the stadium and they hear you). But it felt a little lacking, almost like all that was just tacked onto a run of the mill psycho killer plot. A meh film, but thank you anyways to GoldenWheels, I do appreciate the delve into hammer, something still fairly new to me.

(3 out of 5)
My Thoughts: For some crazy reason I have never seen Munchies. It's definitely right up my alley as a fan of the monster puppet movies sub-genre. And I have ogled that poster for years. But for whatever reason I never made the leap. So when putting together this years banner I decided enough was enough. And what can say? Was the wait worth it? The plot was terrible, the puppets were terrible, I could see the top of the set from time to time and I loved it! It was just a goofy cheesy mess. I will say that I am glad my recent viewing of Hobgoblins lowered the bar so much or I might not have been quite as forgiving with this movie. So the Munchie was a Gizmo like alien left sealed in a Machu Picchu temple who turns vicious when some asshole doesn't let him watch TV and throws him across the room (I mean come on, WTF guy he was so cute?!) A hilarious battle ensues and the little guy gets chopped up, only to multiply and start reeking havoc on the surrounding community. I wonder if they are dressed more like Jaws or like the minions of the Tall man... probably Jawas. Great 80's fuff piece. And man that kitchen was amazing, I wonder if my wife would let me paint out kitchen like that?

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Due to it's proximity I can't help but compare this to Zombex. This was also a sub par zombie movie but slightly more enjoyable. That is probably due to this being a Zombie comedy and Japanese. In this movie a spaceship crashes on Mt. Fuji sending out a zombie educing wave, we follow several Japanese stereotypes along their road to survival and death. Not a great movie but it was kind of fun watching a stuck up Idol in a zombie situation. Although the whole time I kind of wished I was watching Bio-Zombie.

(2.5 out of 5)
B-11). Paulaner: Hefe-Weizen
B-12). Destihl Brewery: Weissenheimer Hefeweizen
55). Lake Mungo
[/COLOR]
(Germany) (FTD)
(Illinois) (FTD)
(2008) (DVD) (FTV)
My Thoughts: First year for the Hefe-Wizen. it was an interesting departure from Paulaner more traditional offerings. Sharp white grape and hops scent that is somehow richer, you can almost smell the higher German quality. A pleasantly mild and creamy wheat beer with a slight hoppy bite at the end. It’s a higher caliber beer than it's American counter parts and you can taste it. That being said I still prefer their Oktoberfest wizen & marzen. But I have never really ben a hops fan not that it over hinders this beer. It does take on a slightly sour yeasty aftertaste as it warms.

(4 out of 5)
My Thoughts: Carries a light... cheaper hoppy smell but with a surprisingly complex flavor. Lemon, barley, pear, liquorish... it is a little hard to nail down. Leaves a sweet bitter taste on the very back of the pallet. I found it to perform better ice cold, warmer it starts having a deeper bitter liquorish taste, little chalky. Started out with promise.

(2.5 out of 5)
My Thoughts: I had a hard time connecting with this movie but I think I might just not have been in the right mood. The movie follows the family of a girl who drowned in a documentary style set up. And we gradually get clues that her spirit still roams and that maybe she knew more than she was letting on. I dug the going back and seeing more than you saw before aspect of this movie, felt a lot like Sinister in that respect. But again just really couldn't get into it. Maybe I am horror'd out for the day. I am going with a 3/5, my average movie score. But I must rewatch this again in a couple of years, maybe with a few less beers and not as the 5th movie of the day.

(3 out of 5)
Checklist:
Theme Night:
Spoiler:
Select 8 decades of film history:
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
-x- 1960 - The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962)
...............Commentary For The Awful Dr. Orlof (1962)
-x- 1970 - Scream Bloody Murder (1973)
-x- 1980 - Eating Raoul (1982)
...............Commentary For Eating Raoul (1982)
...............The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
...............Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
...............Monstroid (1980)
...............House By The Cemetery (1981)
...............Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)
...............Phenomena (1985)
...............Commentary For Phenomena (1985)
...............Nightmare Sisters (1988)
...............Commentary For Nightmare Sisters (1988)
...............Zombie Lake (1981)
-x- 1990 - Bad Moon (1996)
...............Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1992)
-x- 2000 - The Brothers Grimm (2005)
...............Commentary For The Brothers Grimm (2005)
...............1408 (2007)
...............Commentary 1408 (2007)
-x- 2010 - It (2017)
...............Beyond The Gates (2016)
...............mother! (2017)
...............Scream The TV Series: S01E01-S02E14 (2015-2016)
...............Monsters (2010)
...............Hotel Transylvania 3D (2012)
...............The Awakening (2011)
...............Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (2016)
...............The Purge (2013)
...............Meet The Blacks (2016)
...............Deathgasm (2015)
...............Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D (2015)
...............Fear The Waling Dead S02E09-16
...............Zombex (2013)
...............Train To Busan (2016)
...............XX (2017)

Select 4 ratings:
-x- Approved - The Awful Dr. Orlof
.....................Commentary For The Awful Dr. Orlof
--- G -
-x- PG - Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- PG-13 - Poltergeist II: The Other Side
.................Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
.................The Brothers Grimm
.................Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
.................Buffy The Vampire Slayer
-x- R - Eating Raoul
..........Commentary For Eating Raoul
..........It
..........Monstroid
..........mother!
..........Monsters
..........Bad Moon
..........Scream Bloody Murder
..........The Awakening
..........The Purge
..........Meet The Blacks
..........Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D
..........Zombex
..........XX
..........Nightmare Sisters
..........Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
-x- Unrated - [b]The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2[b]
...................Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
...................House By The Cemetery
...................Beyond The Gates
...................Scream The TV Series: S01E01-S02E14
...................Deathgasm
...................Phenomena
...................Commentary For Phenomena
...................Commentary For 1408
...................Fear The Waling Dead S02E09-16
...................Train To Busan
...................Zombie Lake
--- M -
--- GP -

Watch films in at least three formats:
-x- First format, (Blu-Ray), (Eating Raoul).
.......................................(Commentary For Eating Raoul)
.......................................(Poltergeist II: The Other Side)
.......................................(Monsters)
.......................................(Hotel Transylvania 3D)
.......................................(Pride & Prejudice & Zombies)
.......................................(The Brothers Grimm)
.......................................(Commentary For The Brothers Grimm)
.......................................(The Purge)
.......................................(Phenomena)
.......................................(Commentary For Phenomena)
.......................................(Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D)
.......................................(Nightmare Sisters)
.......................................(Commentary for Nightmare Sisters)
-x- Second format, (DVD), (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2).
......................................(Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2)
......................................(Monstroid)
......................................(House By The Cemetery)
......................................(The Awful Dr. Orlof)
......................................(Commentary For The Awful Dr. Orlof)
......................................(Bad Moon)
......................................(Scream Bloody Murder)
......................................(1408)
......................................(Commentary For 1408)
......................................(Zombex)
......................................(Zombie Lake)
-x- Third format, (Theater), (It).
.......................................(mother!)
-x- Fourth format, (Streaming), (Beyond The Gates).
.............................................(Scream The TV Series: S01E01-S02E14)
.............................................(The Awakening)
.............................................(Meet The Blacks)
.............................................(Deathgasm)
.............................................(Fear The Waling Dead S02E09-12)
.............................................(Train To Busan)
.............................................(XX)
-x- Fifth format, (TV), (Fear The Waling Dead S02E13-16).
-x- Sixth format, (VHS), (Buffy The Vampire Slayer).

Watch films in at least three languages:
-x- First language, (French), (The Awful Dr. Orlof).
-x- Second language, (Korean), (Train To Busan).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1942 (75th) -
--- 1967 (50th) -
-x- 1992 (25th) – Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Select 2 from the following anniversaries:
--- 100th Birthday of Santos -
--- 15th Anniversary of The Rondo Hatton Awards -
-x- 20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer -Buffy The Vampire Slayer
--- 25th Anniversary of The Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel -

Select 10 actors:
--- Kevin Bacon -
--- Tobin Bell -
-x- Michael Biehn - Grindhouse
--- Doug Bradley -
--- Veronica Cartwright -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- Jocelin Donahue -
--- Brad Dourif -
--- Ethan Embry -
--- Boris Karloff -
-x- Brea Grant - Beyond the Gates
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Elizabeth Kaitan -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Christopher Lee -
-x- Rose McGowan - Grindhouse
--- R.A. Mihailoff -
--- Dina Myer -
--- Meg Tilly -
-x- Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Grindhouse

Select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors
--- Don Calfa -
--- John Vulich -
--- Ted V. Mikels -
--- John Zacherle -
--- William Peter Blatty -
--- Carrie Fisher -
--- Miguel Ferrer -
--- John Hurt -
--- Bill Paxton -
--- Robert Day -
--- Alessandro Alessandroni -
--- Michael Parks -
--- Adam West -
--- George A. Romero -
--- John Heard -
--- Sam Shepard -
--- Robert Hardy -
--- Haruo Nakajima -
--- Sonny Landham -
--- Jay Thomas -
-x- Tobe Hooper - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
..........................Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
--- Martin Landau -
--- Harry Dean Stanton -
--- Bernie Casey -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Antón García Abril -
--- John Carpenter -
-x- Daniel Licht - Bad Moon
-x- Harry Manfredini - Friday The 13th Part 2

Select 5 directors:
-x- Dario Argento - [b]Phenomena[b]
............................Commentary For Phenomena
--- Don Coscarelli -
-x- David DeCoteau - Nightmare Sisters
...............................Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
--- Mike Flanagan -
--- Tom Holland -
--- Mary Lambert -
--- Jean Rollin -
-x- Steve Miner - Friday The 13th Part 2
--- James Wan -
--- Adam Wingard -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
-x- Patrick Baxter - XX
--- Jason Collins -
--- Mark Shostrom -
--- Bud Westmore -

Select 2 producers:
-x- Bradley Fuller - The Purge
--- Dino De Laurentiis -
-x- Roy Lee - It
--- Lloyd Kaufman -

Select 2 writers:
--- Jaume Balagueró -
-x- Robert Bloch - The Skull
-x- Jack Ketchum - XX
-x- H.P. Lovecraft - House By The Cemetery

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
-x- *3-D Film - Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- Agoraphobia - mother!
-x- Anthology Film - XX
-x- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List - The Awful Dr. Orlof
...........................................................................Commentary For The Awful Dr. Orlof
-x- Appears on Video Nasties List - House By The Cemetery
--- Based on a True Story -
-x- Based on a Novel - It
................................Bad Moon
-x- Cannibalism - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
.........................Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
.........................mother!
.........................Nightmare Sisters
.........................Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
--- Cinema Inspired By: Edgar Allan Poe -
-x- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax - Monstroid (Elvira)
--- Classic Universal Monsters Movie -
-x- Comedy / Spoof - Eating Raoul
...............................Commentary For Eating Raoul
...............................Hotel Transylvania 3D
...............................Meet The Blacks
...............................Deathgasm
...............................Buffy The Vampire Slayer
-x- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film - Eating Raoul
...................................................................Commentary For Eating Raoul
-x- Death by: Fire - mother!
--- Distributor / Studio: Vinegar Syndrome -
--- Documentary -
-x- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space - Monsters
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen - The Babysitter (Trevor)
--- Film From TCM's October Schedule -
--- From a Basis Gogos Painting -
-x- Found Footage - V/H/S/2
.............................Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D
-x- Frankenstein - Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- Ghost / Haunting - Poltergeist II: The Other Side
................................Hotel Transylvania 3D
................................The Awakening
................................Commentary For 1408
................................Paranormal Activity: Ghost Deminsion 3D
-x- Giallo - Phenomena
................Commentary For Phenomena
--- K-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
-x- Killer / Evil Child - Scream Bloody Murder
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
-x- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla - It
............................................................Monstroid
............................................................Monsters
............................................................Hotel Transylvania 3D
............................................................XX
-x- Mummy - Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror - Deathgasm
--- Nation of Origin: China -
--- Nazi -
-x- Psychological - Scream Bloody Murder
...........................XX
--- Rape / Revenge -
-x- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Scream The TV Series: S01E01-S02E14
...........................................................The Purge
...........................................................Meet The Blacks
...........................................................Phenomena
...........................................................Commentary For Phenomena
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
-x- Vampire - Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- Werewolf - Hotel Transylvania 3D
.....................Bad Moon
.....................The Brothers Grimm
.....................Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
-x- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Beyond The Gates
...................................................Poltergeist II: The Other Side
...................................................Hotel Transylvania 3D
...................................................The Brothers Grimm
...................................................Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
...................................................Deathgasm
...................................................XX
...................................................Nightmare Sisters
...................................................Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
-x- With Commentary - Commentary For Eating Raoul
.................................Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
.................................Commentary For Phenomena
.................................Commentary For 1408
.................................Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
-x- Zombie - House By The Cemetery
..................Hotel Transylvania 3D
..................Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
..................Fear The Waling Dead S02E09-16
..................Zombex
..................Train To Busan
..................Buffy The Vampire Slayer
..................Zombie Lake

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
-x- Stars a Barbara (Steele, Crampton, Hershey, Shelley) - Beyond The Gates
--- Features music by Richard Band -
--- Was made in the 1950s -
--- Features a Disembodied / Possessed Hand -
--- Was written by Jimmy Sangster -
-x- Features a solar eclipse - The Brothers Grimm
.........................................Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
-x- Has the words "It" in the title - It
--- Was directed by David Cronenberg -
-x- Stars Michelle Bauer - Commentary For Nightmare Sisters
--- Takes place at a cemetery -
--- Features an actor who played Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, or another pop culture horror killer in a different role -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL
Spoiler:
-x- 09/30: Criterion Crossover
..........Eating Raoul
..........Commentary For Eating Raoul
-x- 10/01: R.I.P. Tobe Hooper -
..........The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
..........Commentary For The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
-x- 10/02: Slime, Goo & Toxic Waste Horror -
..........Poltergeist II: The Other Side
-x- 10/03: Slashers/ Giallos / Serial Killers -
..........Scream The TV Series: S01E01-E10
-x- 10/04: Animated Horror -
..........Hotel Transylvania 3D
-x- 10/05: Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon -
..........Bad Moon
-x- 10/06: Folklore, Urban Legends & Fairy Tale Horror -
..........The Brothers Grimm
..........Commentary For The Brothers Grimm
-x- 10/07: Nightmares & Dreamscapes / Hallucinations & Drug Trips -
..........Phenomena
..........Commentary For Phenomena
-x- 10/08: Zombies -
..........Fear The Waling Dead S02E09-14
..........Zombex
..........Train To Busan
-x- 10/09: Day of the Woman: Female Directed Horror Films -
..........XX
-x- 10/10: 1967 (Gold) Vs. 1992 (Silver) -
..........Buffy The Vampire Slayer
--- 10/11: Skull & Bones -
--- 10/12: Mummies -
--- 10/13: A Celebration of Friday the 13th: Black Cats / Broken Mirrors / Ladders / F13 Films -
--- 10/14: Splatter / Gore -
--- 10/15: Horror Anthologies -
--- 10/16: R.I.P. Fangoria / Video Watchdog -
--- 10/17: Friends 'till the End: The Good, The Bad & The Imaginary -
--- 10/18: Pregnancy Horror -
--- 10/19: Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances -
--- 10/20: Vampires -
--- 10/21: 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Media Home Entertainment
--- 10/22: Evil Twins & Doppelgangers -
--- 10/23: It Was a Dark and Stormy Night... -
--- 10/24: Horror South Of The Border
--- 10/25: IMDB Lowest Rated Horror -
--- 10/26: R.I.P. George A. Romero -
--- 10/27: Small Town Horrors -
--- 10/28: Mass Marathon of the Damned 8: Horror Parties -
--- 10/29: The Synth of Fear -
--- 10/30: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
--- 10/31: All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest -

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-21-17 at 12:17 PM.