View Single Post
Old 09-11-17, 01:17 PM   #71
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

1. Color Me Blood Red

2/5 - Slow movie about a painter that can't get the right color for his art, until he discovers blood is the shade he needs. With only a few kills and only two completed blood paintings, none of which get sold, not much happens.

2. The Wizard of Gore

3.5/5 - Montag the Magician, uses illusions and hypnosis to kill audience members on stage but not in the traditional sense. Perfect for the surreal theme night, while the audience sees a normal trick, like a spike impaled into a woman's head, he's actually doing it, pulling out the brain and having a blast while doing it. The participant doesn't feel the effects until after the show is over and they've left, when the act finally catches up to them. How will his greatest illusion play out? An illusion done live on the air, effecting all that watch!

Decent pace and extreme amounts of blood kept me under his spell.

3. Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

4.5/5 - Classic horror that won't age itself out. Shows what a simple plot and effects, combined with appropriate pacing can achieve. At the other end of the spectrum, we have the Transformers series.

I like to revisit this one every few years so it stays somewhat fresh. Watching it back to back would be dull, unless I was working through commentaries.

4. Love Me Deadly

2.5/5 - Necrophilia with an attractive lady as the star. She also has some daddy issues going on. Without giving away too much, this is worth a watch but probably not a purchase. Rewatchability is rather limited without a decently long break between viewings.

5. Vampire at Midnight

2/5 - It started out as a cross between an 80s cop action movie with a vampire killer. Then about halfway through, it didn't know what it wanted to be anymore and all the action went away and the end came across as a wet fart.

6. The Thing

5/5 - I never watched this as a kid because the cover looked boring. This is an amazing movie with great rewatchability value. Can't wait till I can show it to my kids, when they're old enough to not have nightmares from it.

7. Ticks

2.5/5 - Weird mix of a kid's horror movie that's a bit graphic and rated R. Seeing Carlton from Fresh Prince as a street thug doesn't really work for me and took me out of the movie a bit, along with a few other parts. Still work watching, especially if you like Clint Howard.

8. Mortuary

1.5/5 - This just wasn't good. Someone tried to make a movie, I guess and instead made this. Figuring out the killer wasn't hard (since they show his face but he's wearing white makeup as a disguise. I don't think it was meant to be that obvious. The single red herring was a bit too obvious. Then the end came. Then the movie went to my sell pile.

9. Poor Pretty Eddie

3/5 - A female country singer's car breaks down in hillbilly country, staying at a motel run by an old woman and her boy toy that doesn't really love her. He wants to be a country singer, so he sees his chance to get into the biz. Will he make it? Does he hook up with her and find out she's crazy after it's too late? You'll just need to watch. Also stars Lurch from The Addams Family tv show.

10. H. P. Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror and Other Stories

3/5 - Japanese claymation of 3 Lovecraft stories: The Picture in the House, The Dunwich Horror, The Festival. Well done and enjoyable.

11. Bleed

1.5/5 - I thought I'd seen this before but if I had, I'd completely forgotten it (for good reason). It's a low budget slasher mystery with fake boobs.

12. Taxi Tonight

1.5/5 - Thailand version of Vanishing Hitchhiker. Only this time it's a taxi she vanishes in but then she haunts it for a reason. A pretty boring reason and there's apparently some suspense from the mystery that didn't come across well. Eventually it ended.

13. Something Weird

3.5/5 - Bizarre but with a plot that could be followed. LSD, ESP, the government, a serial killer, and a witch. I don't want to give away too much because it's worth going into it completely new to it.

14. Dead & Buried

4/5 - In a small town, the citizens are killing those that visit the town but then they start showing up as residents. Very good and I recommended this as a subset a few years ago after watching it the first time.

15. Two on a Guillotine

1/5 - A bit long, bad pacing, and not very good. Those familiar with Charlie and his Orchestra will recognize a tune about halfway through. Completely lackluster ending. Poor special effects. Avoid.

16. Species

3.5/5 - When this originally came out, the empath character annoyed me to no end. Now he's not nearly annoying, which made this alien invasion movie that much more enjoyable.

17. Interview with the Vampire

4.5/5 - Good movie but omg, all the vampire stuff that became popular was way too much for me. Still, it's a million times better than Twilight and the rest of the Ann Rice sequels.

18. Vampire Circus

1.5/5 - I didn't like this the first time I watched it, or the second, and now the third. For me, it's just boring.

19. Dale and Tucker vs Evil

4/5 - I first watched this years ago as a workprint, when it had a Guns N Roses end credits song. It still holds up for me and was funny. Tried watching the bonus short that showed Dale and Tucker are Evil but it got a bit boring, so I cut out early.

20. The Forest

2.5/5 - This was bad but in a good way like Manos. It's like Disney's Mr. Boogedy, a slasher film, and Manos, had a 3 way and The Forest was the child. Based on this description, you can probably tell if you'd like it or not.

21. The Gruesome Twosome

2.5/5 - Horror/Comedy about a wig shop owner that makes wigs by scalping local girls.

22. The Man with Two Heads

1.5/5 - Retelling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Had potential at the start but never really went anywhere. Not graphic at all. Boring till the end.

23. The Skull

1.5/5 - Like the previous movie, it kind of started with potential but by the end, I just wanted it to be over. Sade's skull was stolen and the owners are possessed by it into committing crimes. If they don't commit crimes, the skull apparently just does it for them, in the most boring way shown on film possible.

24. The Last House on the Left

4/5 - Rape/Revenge movie with comic relief provided by cops. Gritty looking movie that pairs with I Spit on Your Grave if you're looking for this kind of double feature. Looking for a triple feature? Add in Ms. 45.

25. Night Watch

2/5 - Elizabeth Taylor in a uneven gaslighting type flick. The suspense was good for the most part but by the end, things were so uneven it just didn't compare with the rest of the movie. I was planning on keeping this movie until I got to the end, when I realized I wouldn't want to watch it again. It's worth a rent because parts are good but not the entire package.

26. The House at the Edge of the Park

4/5 - I know a lot of people don't care for this but I think it's pretty good. Bloody with a lot of crime. Decent enough plot I don't want to give away too much of. If you're into I Spit on Your Grave and Ms. 45, then you should try this one too.

27. Holidays

0.5/5 - Brought to you by people that don't understand that horror isn't a simplistic idea turned into a short where being quirky and bloody equals horror. There's more stories than your typical anthology of 3-4 films but that's because of the problem I brought up earlier. When there's not much meat to a story, you either have short boring one or longer ones that need to be trimmed. At least in this case, they were smart enough to keep them short. As with most anthologies, the better ones are towards the end and this is no exception. Problem is, the ones at the end are more of the ones you'd find at the beginning of an anthology film that had good ending ones. A lot of the "twists" are so completely obvious that it ruins a lot of them, no matter how lackluster they are in the first place.

I would have rated this a 0 instead of a 0.5 but there was a few minutes worth of good stories out of this 105 minute movie, that also contains 9 minutes of credits.

28. Bloodthirsty Butchers

2.5/5 - An improperly framed (1:33 trimmed to widescreen) movie that combines Sweeney Todd and the story of people making meat pies/sausages out of people. It's interesting but amusing considering the budget, or lack of, they worked with.

29. The Black Cat

0.5/5 - Based off the Poe story. A movie that started out ok but after 20 minutes or so, I just wanted it to end sooo badly.

30. Cabin Fever

3/5 - This is pretty good. There's some things lacking, like some unlikable characters and other things I can't quite put my finger on. It's borderline on keeping the movie though. Any worse and I'd ditch it but I'm going to hold onto it.

31. Torture Dungeon

0/5 - Well, I found something worse than Holidays. The twist in this Torture Dungeon is that I was the one being tortured by watching this.

32. Torso

2.5/5 - Decent giallo but I was super tired toward the end, so that made me lose some of the impact.

33. Evil Toons

3.5/5 - Great commentary if you're interested in film making. First time I watched this, I didn't care too much for it but this time was better, especially with the commentary. I also took the time to match up my animation cell with the frame of the movie it was used, then wasted my time showing my completely uninterested wife my discover.

Theme Nights
Spoiler:

-X- 10/01: Farewell Texas Gentleman Who Took the Chainsaw That Extra Mile, You Directed Poltergeist; We Know Your Style! - R.I.P. Tobe Hooper - Texas Chain Saw Massacre
-X- 10/02: Radioactive Materials Produced from Industrial Waste, These Slimy Carcinogenic Poisons Will Give You Superpowers to Fly to Outer Space! - Slime, Goo & Toxic Waste Horror - The Thing
-X- 10/03: It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises! - Slashers/ Giallos / Serial Killers - Mortuary
-X- 10/04: Produced Carefully One Frame At a Time, These Two-Dimensional Abominations Are Nightmare-Fueled Versions of Modern Day Pantomime. - Animated Horror - H. P. Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror and Other Stories
-X- 10/05: Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse! - Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon - Bleed
-X- 10/06: Enchanted Forests, Men with Hooks for Hands, A Ghostly Woman Residing in the Mirror ...It All Goes Hand In Hand. - Folklore, Urban Legends & Fairy Tale Horror - Taxi Tonight
-X- 10/07: Mindfuckery of Lynchian Dream Logic Style with Hallucinogenic Head Trips that Beguile - Nightmares & Dreamscapes / Hallucinations & Drug Trips - Something Weird
-X- 10/08: Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Walking Corpses that are Undead!
Call In the Military; Shoot 'Em in the Head! - Zombies - Dead & Buried
-X- 10/09: From Scream Queens to the Final Girl, These Deadly Women Will Make Your Nightmares Unfurl! - Day of the Woman: Female Directed Horror Films - Lights Out
-X- 10/10: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 5 - 1967 (Gold) Vs. 1992 (Silver) : It Survived - The Gruesome Twosome
-X- 10/11: Dusty Decaying Bones in Rat-Infested Paris Catacombs - Skull & Bones - The Skull
-X- 10/12: Some Poor Sap in the Museum's Egyptian Wing is Lying Dead ...Never Remove the Cursed Sarcophagus Amulet From the Mummy's Ancient Rotting Head. - Mummies - Mummy Hand
-X- 10/13: It's That Annual Event At Camp Crystal Lake When Teens Get a Little Perverse ...Meanwhile Crazy Ralph Politely Reminds Everyone You're All Doomed; There's a Death Curse! - Unlucky Charms - A Celebration of Friday the 13th: Black Cats / Broken Mirrors / Ladders / F13 Films - The Black Cat
-X- 10/14: Intestinal Annihilation with a Little Arterial Spray, Add Some Gory Depravity & Blood Spatter... It's All In a Day! - Splatter / Gore - Bloodthirsty Butchers
-X- 10/15: Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies - Holidays
-X- 10/16: Print Media is Slowly Decaying. Two of the Big Dogs Unfortunately Won't Be Staying. - R.I.P. Fangoria / Video Watchdog - Torture Dungeon
-X- 10/17: Friends, Frenemies or Just a Figment of the Imagination;
That's a Friendship Crapshoot Gambling with Your Eradication! - Friends 'till the End: The Good, The Bad & The Imaginary - Torso
-X- 10/18: Expectant Mothers Carrying the Antichrist; Their Freakishly Mutated Offspring Presumably Won't Play Nice! - Pregnancy Horror - Mother of My Child
-X- 10/19: Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights. Summoning the Dead by Candlelight. - Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances - Don't Play with Ghosts
--- 10/20: Bela's Blood Sucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza! - Vampires -
--- 10/21: R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Belated, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Never Be Outdated! - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Media Home Entertainment / Video Stores -
--- 10/22: Manufactured Tulpas from Unearthly Dimensions Or Maybe Evil Twin Siblings Just Hanging At Local Horror Conventions? - Evil Twins & Doppelgangers -
--- 10/23: Tonight's Forecast Calls for a 100% Chance of Unadulterated Fright! - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night... -
--- 10/24: Now Boarding: Your Ticket to Sun-Drenched Terror! - Coffin Joe's Caribbean, Mexican & Central/South American Cruise to Port Oblivion Featuring Hispanic Icons -
--- 10/25: The Shittiest, Cheapest Movies Mankind Ever Sprung; Some So Bad, They're Good ...Others are Killer Tongue! - IMDB Lowest Rated Horror -
--- 10/26: Goodbye Godfather of the Modern Living Dead & Social Commentary Guru of What Needed to Be Said. - R.I.P. George A. Romero -
--- 10/27: Hello Friends, Welcome to the 100th Anniversary of Antonio Bay! We're Murderous Ghost Mariners from A Leper Colony ...Yeah, We Can't Stay! - Small Town Horrors -
--- 10/28: Binge-Watch Parties From Beyond the Grave & Benighted. Beware! There's a Catch; Pray You're Not Invited! - Mass Marathon of the Damned 8: Horror Parties -
--- 10/29: Electronically Produced Via Keyboard from the Bowels of Hell... This Retro Futuristic Music from Beyond Is the Proverbial Death Knell. - The Synth of Fear -
--- 10/30: Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell! - Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
--- 10/31: Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head! - All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror -

Checklist
Spoiler:

Select 10 actors: 3/10
--- Kevin Bacon -
--- Tobin Bell -
--- Michael Biehn -
--- Doug Bradley -
--- Veronica Cartwright -
-X- Peter Cushing - The Skull
--- Jocelin Donahue -
--- Brad Dourif -
--- Ethan Embry -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Brea Grant -
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Elizabeth Kaitan -
-X- Bela Lugosi - The Black Cat
-X- Christopher Lee - The Skull
--- Rose McGowan -
--- R.A. Mihailoff -
--- Dina Myer -
--- Meg Tilly -
--- Mary Elizabeth Winstead -

Select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors: 2/5
--- Don Calfa -
--- John Vulich -
--- Ted V. Mikels -
--- John Zacherle -
--- William Peter Blatty -
--- Carrie Fisher -
--- Miguel Ferrer -
--- John Hurt -
-X- Bill Paxton - Mortuary
--- Robert Day -
--- Alessandro Alessandroni -
--- Michael Parks -
--- Adam West -
--- George A. Romero -
--- John Heard -
--- Sam Shepard -
--- Robert Hardy -
--- Haruo Nakajima -
--- Sonny Landham -
--- Jay Thomas -
-X- Tobe Hooper - Texas Chain Saw Massacre
--- Martin Landau -
--- Harry Dean Stanton -
--- Bernie Casey -
--- Hugh Hefner -

Select 2 film composers: 0/2
--- Antón García Abril -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Daniel Licht -
--- Harry Manfredini -

Select 5 directors: 0/5
--- Dario Argento -
--- Don Coscarelli -
--- David DeCoteau -
--- Mike Flanagan -
--- Tom Holland -
--- Mary Lambert -
--- Jean Rollin -
--- Steve Miner -
--- James Wan -
--- Adam Wingard -

Select 2 makeup effects artists: 0/2
--- Patrick Baxter -
--- Jason Collins -
--- Mark Shostrom -
--- Bud Westmore -

Select 2 producers: 1/2
--- Bradley Fuller -
--- Dino De Laurentiis -
--- Roy Lee -
-X- Lloyd Kaufman - Bleed

Select 2 writers: Complete
--- Jaume Balagueró -
-X- Robert Bloch - The Skull
--- Jack Ketchum -
-X- H.P. Lovecraft - H. P. Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror and Other Stories

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types: 24/30
--- *3-D Film -
--- Agoraphobia -
-X- Anthology Film - Holidays
-X- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List - Torso
-X- Appears on Video Nasties List - The Last House on the Left
-X- Based on a True Story - Texas Chain Saw Massacre
-X- Based on a Novel - The Man with Two Heads
-X- Cannibalism - Texas Chain Saw Massacre
-X- Cinema Inspired By: Edgar Allan Poe - The Black Cat
-X- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax - Mortuary
-X- Classic Universal Monsters Movie - The Black Cat
-X- Comedy / Spoof - The Gruesome Twosome
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
-X- Death by: Fire - The Thing
--- Distributor / Studio: Vinegar Syndrome -
--- Documentary -
-X- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space - The Thing
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen -
--- Film From TCM's October Schedule -
-X- From a Basis Gogos Painting - The Skull
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
-X- Ghost / Haunting - Taxi Tonight
-X- Giallo - Torso
--- K-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
-X- Killer / Evil Child - Holidays
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
-X- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla - The Thing
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: China -
--- Nazi -
-X- Psychological - Something Weird
-X- Rape / Revenge - Poor Pretty Eddie
-X- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Mortuary
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
-X- Vampire - Vampire at Midnight
--- Werewolf -
-X- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Love Me Deadly
--- With Commentary -
-X- With Two or More Horror Legends - The Skull
-X- Zombie - Dead and Buried

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary": 0/1
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three formats: Complete
-X- First format, DVD, Love Me Deadly.
-X- Second format, Blu-ray, Color Me Blood Red.
-X- Third format, streaming, H. P. Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror and Other Stories.

Watch films in at least three languages: Complete
-X- First language, English, Color Me Blood Red.
-X- Second language, Japanese, H. P. Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror and Other Stories.
-X- Third language, Thai, Taxi Tonight.

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that: 0/3
--- Stars a Barbara (Steele, Crampton, Hershey, Shelley) -
--- Features music by Richard Band -
--- Was made in the 1950s -
--- Features a Disembodied / Possessed Hand -
--- Was written by Jimmy Sangster -
--- Features a solar eclipse -
--- Has the words "It" in the title -
--- Was directed by David Cronenberg -
--- Stars Michelle Bauer -
--- Takes place at a cemetery -
--- Features an actor who played Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, or another pop culture horror killer in a different role -

Select 8 decades of film history: 0/8
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff": Complete
--- 1942 (75th) -
-X- 1967 (50th) - The Gruesome Twosome
--- 1992 (25th) –

Select 2 from the following anniversaries: 0/2
--- 15th Anniversary of The Rondo Hatton Awards -
--- 20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer -
--- 25th Anniversary of The Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel -
--- 100th Birthday of Santo -

Select 4 ratings: 0/4
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
--- Unrated -
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
-X- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel - Deadpool: Horror Business
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

temp: Lights Out (2), Mummy Hand (3), Rotten Fruit (18), Mother of My Child (7), Don't Play with Ghosts (3) - 33

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-19-17 at 11:31 AM.