View Single Post
Old 09-07-17, 07:45 PM   #64
Indy24LA

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Indy's 9th Annual Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2016 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2015 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2014 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2013 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2012 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2011 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2010 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2009 Halloween/Horror Challenge

Goal= 25 (Ended with 81)
* indicates first time viewing (Ended with 35)
List finalized

September 30
1. Spooky Woods 2017 Live Event- First time going, but hands down best haunted attraction I've been to in my short life.
2. Children of the Corn (1984)- Is it racist if I say the vanilla characters were so bland I rooted for the ginger?

October 1
3. Gerald's Game* (2017)- Took an unfilmable novel and made it interesting and captivating.
4. Devil's Candy* (2015)- The hardest part was taking Nick Papagiorgio from Yuma serious as a tortured artist.
5. Paranormal Activity 5 (2015)- They upped the CGI, but lowered the old school suspense. Also, where was Katie Featherston, she's the straw that stirs the PA drink.

October 2
6. Wolfen* (1981)- What was going on in 1981 that gave us three good werewolf movies?
7. Phantasm (1979)- This is the classic that taught us if you have a cool villain with metal balls, you don't need to make sense.
8. Phantasm II (1988)- The new Mike perfectly parallels when Sarah Chalke substituted for Becky Connor in the middle of Rosanne.
9. Clown* (2014)- Well that was interesting, but it felt like they weren't sure whether to truly commit to the idea or not.
10. The Orphanage (2007)- Old school, gothic style tale, but its hard to get scared when you have to read.

October 3
11. The Cult of Chucky* (2017)- For the 7th chapter in the Chucky saga, not too bad. But it does feel more of an appetizer for a main course.

October 4
12. The Boy* (2016)- Okay, that was much better than it had any right to be. I think every house in Great Britian must either be haunted or infested with weirdos.

October 5
13. Child's Play (1988)- Not the first killer toy movie, but the first one that said, "look, boys should not play with dolls, okay."
14. The Houses October Built (2014)- Fairly believable until the end. It's like when you have a really good idea, but you just don't know how to execute it.

October 6
15. The Gate* (1987)- I grew up in the 80's, so I can appreciate this movie. I know it's faint praise, but that's all I got.

October 7
16. Phantasm III (1994)- Now that the bands is back together, the fun really shows.
17. Phantasm IV* (1998)- Come on, the Tall Man is the most interesting character, so it's about time they gave him more than just "BOOOYYY"
18. Casper (1995)- I'm just gonna say it, pretty edgy for a 90's family movie, and that's why it's good.
19. White Noise (2005)- This movie has an interesting idea and Michael Keaton... and that's pretty much it.
20. Blackcoat's Daughter* (2016)- This is a horror movie in the style of Mad Men.
21. Lights Out (2015)- I know everyone thinks the only great horror movies came from the 70's and 80's, but I am loving the current wave of scary flicks. And this one is great. Rebecca deserves so much better than her kwazy cupcakes mom and super awkward beardo bf.

October 8
22. Slumber Party Massacre II* (1987)- You know, I wish they had the guts to go full on musical horror movie. That would have been something different.
23. Slumber Party Massacre III* (1990)- I don't remember much about this movie so that pretty much says it all.
24. The Void* (2016)- Not bad, not bad. Starts out pretty mysterious, but then turns into a standard Lovecraft rip... homage.
25. Interview with the Vampire (1994)- Good stuff, but ironically, Brad Pitt was miscast, not Tom Cruise. Wish this got a proper sequel.

October 9
26. One Dark Night* (1982)- If had been a made for TV movie, it would have been pretty good for the early 80's.
27. The Blackwell Ghost* (2017)- This is an interesting mocumentary, proves that simple, practical effects can be very effective.
28. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)- This feels like a found-footage movie, just without all the jerky, nauseating camera motion. This last 30 pages of the script must said, Sally- SCREAMS.
29. House on Haunted Hill* (1959)- If they would have keep using that blind old lady on roller-skates more, this might have been the scariest movie ever.
30. The Innkeepers (2011)- Did they use CGI to age Kelly McGillis? Claire is probably the cutest boy that I have ever seen.

October 10
31. Tales from the Crypt S7- Ep 7: The Kidnapper, Ep 8: Report from the Grave, Ep 9: Smoke Wrings, Ep 10: About Face

October 11
32. Cat's Eye* (1985)- This is a fun, family friendly horror anthology for cat lovers everywhere.

October 12
33. Curse of Chucky (2013)- Chucky returns to straight (to video) up horror. Was surprised to enjoy this as much as I did.
34. 976-EVIL 2* (1991)- About as much fun as a fidget spinner covered in glue and human feces.

October 13
35. Friday the 13th (1980)- This is a quasi-classic with a cool surprise ending, but said ending was stretched out way too long, with some ridiculous moments that killed the vibe.
36. Amityville: The Awakening* (2017)- Not bad, but like almost ever horror film, falls into old cliches and trite mechanics.

October 14
37. The Mummy's Hand* (1940)- Progenitor of the slow moving menace, guess running from a threat didn't come into fashion until the 70's.
38. The Dark Half (1993)- A lot better than I remembered, but I was more scared of Michael Rooker than Timothy Hutton's Elvis impersonator.
39. The Craft (1996)- I might be wrong, but I don't believe Fairuza Balk was acting.
40. Otis* (2008) Hey, they really tried, so let's give them that.

October 15
41. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993)- I remember liking this back in the day and secretly wishing Melinda Clarke was my gf. Somethings never change.
42. The Mummy's Tomb* (1942)- How, even in the 30s and 40s, was anyone scared of a Mummy? Even a parkour one?
43. Candyman (1992)- There's a lot more going on here than just a scary hook-handed apparition.

October 16
44. Phantasm: Ravager* (2016)- Adds a lot more sci-fi, but I think it's a worthy ending to the franchise.
45. The Babysitter* (2017)- This one hinges on acting and humor and both work nicely.
46. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995)- There's not a lot more going on here than just a scary hook-handed apparition.
47. Incarnate* (2016)- Falls squarely into the 'not bad' category of horror, kinda like eating at Applebees.
48. Poltergeist (1982)- So good it makes you wish Steven Spielberg directed more horror movies. Yeah, I went there.

October 17
49. 30 Days of Night (2007)- Starts with some clunky dialogue and awkward character introductions, but starts humming nicely in the 2nd act.

October 18
50. Idle Hands* (1999)- The American Pie of horror.

October 19
51. Dead Souls* (2012)- This is alright, but come on, inheriting a spooky old house WITH a hot, young blonde squatter? I could have believed anything but that.

October 20
52. Damien: Omen II (1978)- Not a bad follow up to the original, but would have been more interesting if Damien questioned his destiny a lot more.
53. Dawn of the Dead (2004)- One of the best remakes ever. Man actors are so much better looking now than they were in the 70's.

October 21
54. The Final Conflict: Omen III (1982)- Diminishing returns for the series. Kinda like eating at Cracker Barrel.
55. House of Wax (2005)- What is it about modern horror movies where every character has to be unlikable? Rule #1: Give your audience a non-douchy character to root for.
56. The Conjuring 2 (2016)- I am not ashamed to love both Conjuring movies. Or admit they are the reason I started buying night lights.

October 22
57. 1922* (2017)- Good old Stephen King character studies, where you see how actions actually affect people. Tommy Jane was a great marbled-mouth M. F.'er.
58. Tales from the Crypt S7- Ep 11: Confession, Ep 12: Ear Today... Gone Tomorrow, Ep 13: The Third Pig
Toy Story of Terror
59. House on Willow Street* (2016)- Again, who to root for, the trailer park gang of kidnappers, or the demon? It's like Debbie Gibson vs Tiffany all over again.
60. The Evil Dead (1981)- It's hard to watch this movie without the weight of the entire franchise along with all the pale imitators and see how fresh, original and inventive this truly was. That said, who goes off into the dark woods by themselves armed with only a bathrobe?

October 23
61. The Evil Dead II (1987)- The sequel that gives you more... more blood, more gore, more humor, more effects and more chin.
62. Slither (2006)- Gunn's Thing/Zombie/Body Snatchers fun mash-up is either a red neck's wet dream or nightmare, I just can't decide.
63. Halloween (1978)- If you learn anything from this classic, it should be keep it simple stupid. All you need for a great horror movie is relatable characters, a creepy mood, and a great boogeyman. And knee-high socks, lots of knee-high socks.
64. Orphan (2009)- This is a tight little fright flick. And listen, Esther is my sleeper pick in the fantasy horror movie killers draft.

October 24
65. Annabelle: Creation* (2017)- Holy moley that was a restaurant quality spooky movie. And I am doing a Kickstarter for Annabelle vs Chucky... she will whoop his freckled ass.

October 25
66. Werewolf of London* (1935)- Things I learned from this movie; A) A werewolf's hair is far from perfect. B) If your wife's ex shows up and he's better looking than you, you are screwed, no matter what century. C) Movie alcoholics are funny, no matter what century.

October 26
67. She-Wolf of London* (1946)- Things I learned from this movie; A) There's no she-wolf in anyone's closet. B) Gaslighting is cool, no matter what century. C) Sisters before tricksters.

October 27
68. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)- It's not easy having a good time... unless you take entertaining songs, an inane plot, and interesting dialogue and put them in a blender and set it to absurd (and fun).

October 28
69. Personal Shopper* (2016)- Kristen Stewart in a role she was born to play... herself. She is actually good as a perpetually bored millennial dealing with grief, identity crisis, and a TON of texting.
70. The Ruins (2008)- The most uncomfortable movie so far, this caused me to burn every plant in sight then shower for a week. Sorry my phytophilous peeps.
71. Stranger Things S2- Ep 1: Mad Max, Ep 2: Trick or Treat, Freak
72. The Conjuring (2013)- The one that started it all... well not really, I feel like the Insidious movies are a kissing cousin. This one nails the good writing, acting, and directing trifecta. This franchise is quickly become the Avengers of horror.

October 29
73. The Love Witch* (2016)- Maybe this movie was clever to boil down the gender stereotypes to their most rudimentary then play them against each other in that free spirit 60's vibe. Or maybe it wasn't funny, nor smart, nor well acted, even in parody. I will let you decide while I go enjoy a bowl of Fruity Pebbles and watch Friday the 13th part V.
74. The Mummy's Ghost* (1944)- Well that was a downer. The bad guys win???? It's just like watching a Super Bowl with the Patriots.
75. Stranger Things S2- Ep 3: The Pollywog, Ep 4: Will the Wise

October 30
76. Hocus Pocus (1993)- If you don't love this Halloween family classic then come at me bro. Really captures the spirit of the season in a fun way. On a side note, this movie is the only time I have found Sarah Jessica Parker attractive, don't know if that says something about her or me.
77. Stranger Things S2- Ep 5: Dig Dug, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Scared Shrekless

October 31 Halloween
78. Trick 'r Treat (2007)- More than any other movie, I associate this one with this challenge. I fell in love with it during my 1st challenge and I watch it every year. This is a great updated "Tales From the Crypt", with a much quieter but more active Crypt Keeper.
79. The Funhouse (1981)- This used to be a Funhouse, but now it's full of evil clowns... and a murderous mutant carnival freak. This is a smaller, but effective early slasher style movie.
80. Broken* (2007)- Sure wished I'd have seen this BEFORE watching Game of Thrones. I just can't empathize with Cersei Lannister at all. Pretty good movie but... You got what you deserve you brother loving *#@$%!
81. The Mummy's Curse* (1944)- So the mummy goes down in a lake in Massachusetts and wakes up in a swamp in Louisiana... Oh-Keeeey. Sure the mummy looks creepy AF, but the scrappy chap only has one good leg, arm and eye, so bully for him for overcoming his handicaps.

Last edited by Indy24LA; 11-09-17 at 11:05 AM.