View Single Post
Old 09-05-17, 11:16 AM   #45
WillieMLF

Re: The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

September 30- Criterion Crossover So It Begins!
1) Cronos (1993) - The first del Toro movie I ever owned was the Lionsgate DVD, but I can't remember ever watching it. Seemed very new and fresh to me. 4/5**
2) Frankenstein: (1931) -Feature Commentary with Film Historian Rudy Behlmer - Love me some Rudy Behlmer, and this commentary didn't disappoint.
October 1
3) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
4) Devil's Pass (2013) - One movie to rule all conspiracy theories. It started out strong but just fell apart along the way. Started pulling for the 'things' way too early. 2/5**
5) Mother! (2017) - This one REALLY needs another viewing. That last 20 minutes was one hell of a ride. 3.5/5**
6) Snowbeast (1977) - Bo Svenson and Clint Walker! I kept on noticing the scene fades, ideal for commercial breaks. I was finally able to figure out that this was made-for-TV. Not great, but I could see this being the Sunday night movie on ABC. 2.5/5**
October 2
7) C.H.U.D (1984) - The effects may look quite terrible to modern audiences, but I really love this movie from my childhood. The opening scene where dog & owner are snatched from the manhole is classic. 4.5/5
8) The Giant Claw (1957) - The visual effects may not hold up, but this bird really is magnificent in its own world. He would never be able to survive in the real world, but he rules in this movie. 4/5**
October 3
9) Amer (2009) - I don't think I'm dressed for the occasion. I've been mulling this one for a few days now, and I just didn't like it. 2/5**
10) Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1968) - I loved the trailer for this one and hoped the movie could have been more like it. Chlorophyll poisoning? That sounds awesome! 2.5/5**
October 4
11) Mad Monster Party? (1967)
12) Brides of Blood (1968) - The first moth attack I've ever seen.
October 5
13) Bad Moon (1996)
14) Shock Waves (1977)
15) The Pack (1977)
16) Late Phases (2014)
October 6
17) Candyman (1992)
18) Werewolf Rising (2014)
19) Blair Witch (2016)
20) Gerald's Game (2017)
21) White Zombie (1932)
22) Black Sabbath (1963) AIP
October 7
23) The Void (2016) - Fantastic! Very solid horror flick that defies explanation at points. This has been with me since I watched it. I'll be on the lookout for the Blu. 5/5**
24) IT (2017)
25) The Mummy (1932) - This is Karloff's role! There were some really great visuals to feast the eyes upon. I thought the commentary was quite informative. 4/5
26) Phantom of Opera (1943) - I've never seen this version. Technicolor on the blu looks REALLY very good. Claude Raines is a bit too sympathetic. Need to find the Chaney version. 4/5**
27) Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - I do prefer this to the original Frankenstein. Love seeing Dwight Frye, whom I consider iconic in his roles. 5/5
October 8
28) Train to Busan (2016) - Very high praise for a harrowing ride! 5/5
29) Seoul Station (2016) - I had high hopes, but felt this was just some animated zombie story that was trying to attach itself to the movie. Bit of a letdown, but there were some non-horror scenes that elicited a horror response. 3/5**
30) Within (2016) - It was better than I thought it would be, but that's not saying too much. Kept thinking Bad Ronald, but I felt Ronald did it better. 2.5/5**
31) Bait (2012) - I've always had a lot of fun with this movie. This has got to be the greatest shark in the grocery store movie ever made. The writers had a good time coming up with this one. 5/5
32) 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - I had no idea what I was getting into for this movie. Love John Goodman in an atypical role, and felt there was only one way to end this movie. Bravo! 4.5/5**
October 9
33) Raw (2016) - I'll be on the lookout for this Blu. This had some genuinely unsettling moments, and it felt like it had something deeper to relay. Need to revisit. 4/5**
34) The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959) Tokaido Yotsuya kaidan - This one had the Criterion banner, so I'm assuming this will drop hopefully. I really love the Japanese ghost stories, and this one didn't disappoint. I was a bit unsettled by the ghost wife. 5/5**
October 10
35) Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967) - Go Yongary, Go! I enjoyed as much as I could. If Yongary had made a snack of that annoying little kid, then it would be a classic. 3/5**
36) Highway to Hell (1992) - This one felt as if it was made in the mid-80s, but not release until the 90s. Oh wait....
October 11
37) The Screaming Skull (1958)
38) Trick or Treats (1982) - I sure am glad I didn't buy this right before it went OOP! 1/5**
39) Pet Sematary (1989) - One of my favorite King adaptations. 4.5/5
October 12
40) Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
41) Evolution (2015) - Very thought provoking movie. I will need to revisit once the Challenge has ended to dig a bit deeper. 4/5**
42) Cemetery Man (1994) - I need this on BLU ASAP. 4/5**
October 13
43) Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - I forgot how fun these Friday the 13th movies can be. I can't remember ever having seen this one, but that's not saying too much. I need to revisit the series. 4/5**
44) Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) - I came back into the series with a strong reluctance. This was MUCH better than the first one, but not great. Isn't a graveyard consecrated ground, and not just some place that has bodies? 2.5/5**
45) The Possession (2012)
46) The House by the Cemetery (1981)
October 14
47) One Dark Night (1982)
48) The Skull (1965)
October 15
49) Tales of Halloween (2015)
50) Spontaneous Combustion (1990)
51) The Dead Zone (1983)
52) An American Werewolf in London (1981)
53) Life (2017)
54) You're Next (2011)
October 16
October 17
October 18
October 19
October 20
October 21
October 22
October 23
October 24
October 25
October 26
October 27
October 28
October 29
October 30
October 31

First Time View*
Blu-ray

Theme Nights-COMPLETED
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: Farewell Texas Gentleman Who Took the Chainsaw That Extra Mile, You Directed Poltergeist; We Know Your Style! - R.I.P. Tobe Hooper -
--- 10/02: Radioactive Materials Produced from Industrial Waste, These Slimy Carcinogenic Poisons Will Give You Superpowers to Fly to Outer Space! - Slime, Goo & Toxic Waste Horror -
--- 10/03: It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises! - Slashers/ Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/04: Produced Carefully One Frame At a Time, These Two-Dimensional Abominations Are Nightmare-Fueled Versions of Modern Day Pantomime. - Animated Horror -
--- 10/05: Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse! - Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon -
--- 10/06: Enchanted Forests, Men with Hooks for Hands, A Ghostly Woman Residing in the Mirror ...It All Goes Hand In Hand. - Folklore, Urban Legends & Fairy Tale Horror -
--- 10/07: Mindfuckery of Lynchian Dream Logic Style with Hallucinogenic Head Trips that Beguile - Nightmares & Dreamscapes / Hallucinations & Drug Trips -
--- 10/08: Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Walking Corpses that are Undead!
Call In the Military; Shoot 'Em in the Head! - Zombies -
--- 10/09: From Scream Queens to the Final Girl, These Deadly Women Will Make Your Nightmares Unfurl! - Day of the Woman: Female Directed Horror Films -
--- 10/10: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 5 - 1967 (Gold) Vs. 1992 (Silver) : It Survived -
--- 10/11: Dusty Decaying Bones in Rat-Infested Paris Catacombs - Skull & Bones -
--- 10/12: Some Poor Sap in the Museum's Egyptian Wing is Lying Dead ...Never Remove the Cursed Sarcophagus Amulet From the Mummy's Ancient Rotting Head. - Mummies -
--- 10/13: It's That Annual Event At Camp Crystal Lake When Teens Get a Little Perverse ...Meanwhile Crazy Ralph Politely Reminds Everyone You're All Doomed; There's a Death Curse! - Unlucky Charms - A Celebration of Friday the 13th: Black Cats / Broken Mirrors / Ladders / F13 Films -
--- 10/14: Intestinal Annihilation with a Little Arterial Spray, Add Some Gory Depravity & Blood Spatter... It's All In a Day! - Splatter / Gore -
--- 10/15: Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies -
--- 10/16: Print Media is Slowly Decaying. Two of the Big Dogs Unfortunately Won't Be Staying. - R.I.P. Fangoria / Video Watchdog -
--- 10/17: Friends, Frenemies or Just a Figment of the Imagination;
That's a Friendship Crapshoot Gambling with Your Eradication! - Friends 'till the End: The Good, The Bad & The Imaginary -
--- 10/18: Expectant Mothers Carrying the Antichrist; Their Freakishly Mutated Offspring Presumably Won't Play Nice! - Pregnancy Horror -
--- 10/19: Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights. Summoning the Dead by Candlelight. - Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances -
--- 10/20: Bela's Blood Sucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza! - Vampires -
--- 10/21: R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Belated, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Never Be Outdated! - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Media Home Entertainment / Video Stores -
--- 10/22: Manufactured Tulpas from Unearthly Dimensions Or Maybe Evil Twin Siblings Just Hanging At Local Horror Conventions? - Evil Twins & Doppelgangers -
--- 10/23: Tonight's Forecast Calls for a 100% Chance of Unadulterated Fright! - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night... -
--- 10/24: Now Boarding: Your Ticket to Sun-Drenched Terror! - Coffin Joe's Caribbean, Mexican & Central/South American Cruise to Port Oblivion Featuring Hispanic Icons -
--- 10/25: The Shittiest, Cheapest Movies Mankind Ever Sprung; Some So Bad, They're Good ...Others are Killer Tongue! - IMDB Lowest Rated Horror -
--- 10/26: Goodbye Godfather of the Modern Living Dead & Social Commentary Guru of What Needed to Be Said. - R.I.P. George A. Romero -
--- 10/27: Hello Friends, Welcome to the 100th Anniversary of Antonio Bay! We're Murderous Ghost Mariners from A Leper Colony ...Yeah, We Can't Stay! - Small Town Horrors -
--- 10/28: Binge-Watch Parties From Beyond the Grave & Benighted. Beware! There's a Catch; Pray You're Not Invited! - Mass Marathon of the Damned 8: Horror Parties -
--- 10/29: Electronically Produced Via Keyboard from the Bowels of Hell... This Retro Futuristic Music from Beyond Is the Proverbial Death Knell. - The Synth of Fear -
--- 10/30: Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell! - Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
--- 10/31: Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head! - All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror -

Subset Films-COMPLETED
Spoiler:
--- 09/30: group vote - Cronos (1993)
--- 11/01: group vote - Arachnophobia (1990)
--- xx/xx: wildcard - any horror theatrical showing (2017)

--- 10/01: Dick Laurent - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
--- 10/02: shellebelle - C.H.U.D (1984)
--- 10/03: ororama - Amer (2009)
--- 10/04: clckworang - Mad Monster Party? (1967)
--- 10/05: Darkgod - Bad Moon (1996)
--- 10/06: hbsvb - Candyman (1992)
--- 10/07: Gobear - The Void (2016)
--- 10/08: arw6040 - Train to Busan (2016)
--- 10/09: jacob_b - Raw (2016)
--- 10/10: nezumi - Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)
Highway to Hell (1992)
--- 10/11: rbrown498 - The Screaming Skull (1958)
--- 10/12: Trevor - Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
--- 10/13: tarfrimmer - Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
--- 10/14: Chad - One Dark Night (1982)
--- 10/15: Mondo Kane - Tales of Halloween (2015)
--- 10/16: Bladz - Martyrs (2008)
--- 10/17: mallratcal - Pin (1988)
--- 10/18: numbercrunch - Seeding of a Ghost [Zhong gui] (1983)
--- 10/19: pacaway - Under the Shadow (2016)
--- 10/20: Shack - Ganja & Hess (1973)
--- 10/21: The Man with the
Golden Doujinshi - Day of the Dead (1985)
--- 10/22: Undeadcow - +1 (2013)
--- 10/23: TheBigDave - Dolls (1987)
--- 10/24: alyxstarr - Alucarda (1977)
--- 10/25: WillieMLF - Hobgoblins (1988)
--- 10/26: PCBreakdown - The Crazies (1973)
--- 10/27: DaveyJoe - Messiah of Evil (1973)
--- 10/28: SethDLH - The Initiation (1984)
--- 10/29: Darth Maher - The Fog (1980)
--- 10/30: SterlingBen - Witchtrap (1989)
--- 10/31: cwileyy - Ghostwatch (1992)

Checklist-COMPLETED
Spoiler:
Select 10 actors:
--- Kevin Bacon -
--- Tobin Bell -
--- Michael Biehn -
--- Doug Bradley -
--- Veronica Cartwright -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- Jocelin Donahue -
--- Brad Dourif -
--- Ethan Embry -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Brea Grant -
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Elizabeth Kaitan -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Christopher Lee -
--- Rose McGowan -
--- R.A. Mihailoff -
--- Dina Myer -
--- Meg Tilly -
--- Mary Elizabeth Winstead -

Select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors
--- Don Calfa -
--- John Vulich -
--- Ted V. Mikels -
--- John Zacherle -
--- William Peter Blatty -
--- Carrie Fisher -
--- Miguel Ferrer -
--- John Hurt -
--- Bill Paxton -
--- Robert Day -
--- Alessandro Alessandroni -
--- Michael Parks -
--- Adam West -
--- George A. Romero -
--- John Heard -
--- Sam Shepard -
--- Robert Hardy -
--- Haruo Nakajima -
--- Sonny Landham -
--- Jay Thomas -
--- Tobe Hooper -
--- Martin Landau -
--- Harry Dean Stanton -
--- Bernie Casey -
--- Hugh Hefner -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Antón García Abril -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Daniel Licht -
--- Harry Manfredini -

Select 5 directors:
--- Dario Argento -
--- Don Coscarelli -
--- David DeCoteau -
--- Mike Flanagan -
--- Tom Holland -
--- Mary Lambert -
--- Jean Rollin -
--- Steve Miner -
--- James Wan -
--- Adam Wingard -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Patrick Baxter -
--- Jason Collins -
--- Mark Shostrom -
--- Bud Westmore -

Select 2 producers:
--- Bradley Fuller -
--- Dino De Laurentiis -
--- Roy Lee -
--- Lloyd Kaufman -

Select 2 writers:
--- Jaume Balagueró -
--- Robert Bloch -
--- Jack Ketchum -
--- H.P. Lovecraft -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Agoraphobia -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
--- Based on a True Story -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinema Inspired By: Edgar Allan Poe -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Classic Universal Monsters Movie -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Death by: Fire -
--- Distributor / Studio: Vinegar Syndrome -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space -
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen -
--- Film From TCM's October Schedule -
--- From a Basis Gogos Painting -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- K-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: China -
--- Nazi -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
--- Zombie -

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Stars a Barbara (Steele, Crampton, Hershey, Shelley) -
--- Features music by Richard Band -
--- Was made in the 1950s -
--- Features a Disembodied / Possessed Hand -
--- Was written by Jimmy Sangster -
--- Features a solar eclipse -
--- Has the words "It" in the title -
--- Was directed by David Cronenberg -
--- Stars Michelle Bauer -
--- Takes place at a cemetery -
--- Features an actor who played Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, or another pop culture horror killer in a different role -

Select 8 decades of film history:
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1942 (75th) -
--- 1967 (50th) -
--- 1992 (25th) –

Select 2 from the following anniversaries:
--- 15th Anniversary of The Rondo Hatton Awards -
--- 20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer -
--- 25th Anniversary of The Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel -
--- 100th Birthday of Santo -

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
--- Unrated -
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

STATS:
Total Films Watched:
First Time Views **
DVD
BLU
Streaming
Theater

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-16-17 at 03:19 PM.