View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 10:29 PM   #35
nezumi

Re: The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

10-07-2013: Added titles 1-8
10-14-2013: Added titles 9-16
10-21-2013: Added titles 17-23; minor edits
10-28-2013: Added titles 24-31
11-01-2013: Added titles 32-36; minor edits
11-04-2013: Added reviews; minor edits

The 9th Annual
October Horror Movie Challenge

Jerry G. Bishop
August 3, 1936 – September 15, 2013

My viewings this year are dedicated to the late Jerry G. Bishop, Chicago TV's original Svengoolie.

LAST YEAR: 39 films
THIS YEAR'S PERSONAL GOAL: 31 films

THE LIST
All films are DVD format unless noted.
Bold indicates a first-time viewing.
* = Wildcard selection
  1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
  2. Tokyo Zombie (2005) - Two goofball employees at a fire extinguisher factory accidentally murder their boss, so they ditch the corpse at an illegal dumping ground in the center of Tokyo called "Black Fuji." Years of illegal toxic waste dumping finally cause the bodies buried in Black Fuji to rise from the dead. Ignore the comparisons to Shaun of the Dead in the disc case's hyperbolic copy. The film operates on a twisted sort of childlike logic, but it still works.
  3. Tokyo Gore Police (2008)
  4. Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (1968)
  5. Genocide (1968)
  6. Dracula (1931) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.
  7. Dracula 2000 (2000)
  8. Dracula II: Ascension (2003)
  9. Dracula III: Legacy (2005)
  10. Daybreakers (2009) - Google Play.
  11. Shakma (1990) - Youtube. See my comments from the "Shakma" discussion thread.
  12. Chopping Mall (1986) - All the references to Corman in this film lead me to believe it began its life as a gag reel shot for Concorde Pictures' Christmas party.
  13. Maneater of Hydra (A.K.A., "Island of the Doomed") (1967) - If you can, see the "Movie Macabre" version of this film with Elvira. It's pretty unbearable otherwise. In a bizarre coincidence, this film was directed by Corman regular Mel Welles, who plays the cook in my previous viewing selection, Chopping Mall.
  14. Cult of the Cobra (1955) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.
  15. Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  16. The Hidden (1987)
  17. Final Remains (A.K.A., "Mortuary") (2005) - A couple of stoners and their girlfriends break into a funeral home where they run afoul of the homicidal undertaker. I think. Perhaps the most charitable thing that can be said about the film is that it features some fairly attractive women, but that's hardly enough to warrant a viewing of this misbegotten waste of disc space.
  18. Christine (1983) - Google Play. It's probably been decades since I've seen this film, and the shots of the car repairing itself still make my jaw drop.
  19. Making Monsters, "Distorters Make the Best Monsters!"* - Travel Channel. There might be an interesting reality television show about Halloween decoration manufacturers, but this one ain't it.
  20. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - Google Play. I've only seen two "Friday the 13th" films: this one and Jason X. Some don't care for the self-conscious humor, but I think you have to be in the proper mood to enjoy the film.
  21. Curse of the Undead (1959) - Broadcast television, part of Svengoolie.
  22. My Bloody Valentine (1981)
  23. The Fear Chamber (2009) - A homicide detective is nearly killed when he interrupts a serial killer during a murder. Once recovered, the detective begins to experience visions of the killer's victims, which may or may not be due to the detective's alcoholism and/or prescription drug use.The core problem with the film is that it lacks any cohesion from scene to scene. I suspect that Richard Tyson (Three O'Clock High) and Steven Williams (21 Jump Street) appear in the film to fulfill some sort of court-mandated community service.
  24. Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
  25. The Pit and the Pendulum (1991)
  26. Bad Inclination (2003) A woman is murdered with an architect's triangle (or set-square) in an apartment complex, inadvertently providing covers for several tenants to commit their own murders. The film is an unsatisfying attempt to recapture the magic of classic giallo. Not even the brief appearance of Franco Nero as a manic street preacher can help this film.
  27. Witchery (1988) - A group of strangers (including David Hasselhoff and a pregnant Linda Blair) are trapped in an abandoned island hotel by a witch who died on the island. I think. This film is one of two unofficial sequels to the "Evil Dead" series and shares only the most superficial motifs of those films. The makeup effects are actually not half-bad, and the kills are pretty gross fun.
  28. The Midnight Meat Train (2008) - Bradley Cooper plays a photographer who accidentally stumbles across a butcher (Vinnie Jones) who is using the subways to hunt his prey. I have to admit that I wasn't too impressed the first time I saw this film. There's too much reliance on terrible looking CGI blood. The "twist" ending is preposterous. However, I found myself appreciating Ryuhei Kitamura's direction a little more the second time around. It's a shame the source material doesn't quite match up with his energetic style.
  29. I was a Teenage Zombie (1987) - VHS.
  30. Fright Night Part II (1988) - Broadcast television.
  31. The Fat Albert Halloween Special (Broadcast television) / The Andy Griffith Show, "The Haunted House" / The Munsters, "Herman Munster, Shutterbug" / The Munsters, "Just Another Pretty Face"
  32. Evil Dead II (1987) - VHS.
  33. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
  34. Village of the Damned (1960)
  35. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown*
  36. Monster House (2006)

Last edited by nezumi; 11-04-13 at 11:38 PM.