Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Killer Tongue" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 11

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Killer Tongue (1996)

Selected by SterlingBen

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE (HINDU DUB)

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 10-13-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Killer Tongue" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 11

As much as I do appreciate oddball humor, camp, and fantastic cinema I failed to understand Killer Tongue. I appreciate that it didn't go for a cheap sci-fi homage but it just fell flat with me. Maybe Robert Englund and Doug Bradley just have a better sense of humor than me. I tried to look up reviews to see if it just went over my head and there's a number of positive rantings from people who seen to enjoy Killer Tongue. It felt like Killer Tongue was trying to hard to be a cult oddity but never really came into it's own.

Melinda Clark is great, it's a shame she didn't so more horror aside from her excellent turn in Return of the Living Dead III.
Old 10-10-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Um...yeah. Okay. The movie is a little too self-aware and wants to be too weird. It is weird but just not in a good way. I thought every scene without Melinda Clark dragged down the movie (I am looking at your scenes Robert Englund and the other babbling guy). She was great and entertaining but the movie just didn't seem to have any purpose other than showing how weird it was.

But her costume...goddamn!

My rating: ** out of *****

The dvd I received from Netflix had about the worst transfer I have every seen. It looked like it was taken from a reduced 4:3 VHS that had been rented about 800 times before the transfer. It was really bad and was like watching something on Youtube. I would love to see what that costume looked like in HD!
Old 10-11-13, 07:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Veehd is blocked at work and not working on my iOS devices. Youtube has it in Hindii, which could probably be just as much fun as English; but I'll probably wait until I get home tonight to watch it on that DVD we all just bought.
Old 10-11-13, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The recipe for this one is:
1 part Earth Girls are Easy, 2 parts Army of Darkness, 1 part To Wong Foo, 3 parts Lexx, 2 parts Peewee's Playhouse, 1 part Meet the Feebles, and maybe a pinch of Monkeybone, The Fifth Element, and Cool World.

Taste the rainbow.
Old 10-11-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by cproaps
The recipe for this one is:
1 part Earth Girls are Easy, 2 parts Army of Darkness, 1 part To Wong Foo, 3 parts Lexx, 2 parts Peewee's Playhouse, 1 part Meet the Feebles, and maybe a pinch of Monkeybone, The Fifth Element, and Cool World.

Taste the rainbow.
Good description! I might swap Monkeybone for Bad Taste though.
Old 10-11-13, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Good description! I might swap Monkeybone for Bad Taste though.
I actually had that one and took it off! Tongue did have that early, weird Peter Jackson vibe working.

Bagdad Cafe kept coming to mind visually during some of the exterior scenes for some reason. I haven't seen it since the '90s, so I might be getting it mixed up with something else.
Old 10-11-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't know Pinhead was in this too!
Old 10-11-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but this happens to be the movie this challenge that puts me in a bad mood. Maybe it's because I watched a lot of crap yesterday and this was just the topper; I don't know, but I absolutely dislike every second of this movie.

No offense, SterlingBen. Probably just bad timing.
Old 10-11-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

So, who uses VeeHD? The site seems really sketchy with the stuff it wants me to download. It required me to install a player to watch the video. I didn't let the installation complete to watch the movie and said no to all the software it asked me if I wanted to install, but it installed a toolbar I didn't want anyway and changed my homepage and default search options. I decided not to install it when I reached the part of the download where it said it would track all my social media and online activity, including things that most sites try to make private, and transactions, even incomplete ones, made online. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I wanted to hear what others' experiences were with the site.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-11-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
So, who use VeeHD? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I wanted to hear what others' experiences were with the site.
I just kept skipping all the software it wanted to add and then just played it on the site like YouTube. I haven't had any issues yet by just installing the player software.
Old 10-11-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by cproaps
I just kept skipping all the software it wanted to add and then just played it on the site like YouTube. I haven't had any issues yet by just installing the player software.
I did the same. I kept hitting skip until the last screen where it basically asked permission to spy on my activity. I declined, and now I've just spent the last few minutes changing back the search and homepage settings on IE, Chrome and Firefox and removing a toolbar from each one.
Old 10-11-13, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
So, who uses VeeHD? The site seems really sketchy with the stuff it wants me to download. It required me to install a player to watch the video...
I can hear the explaination now... "I have no idea how all these viruses got on my computer; all I wanted to do was watch Killer Tongue."
I didn't know Pinhead was in this too!
It's amazing to see 2 fan favorite "horror legends" together in a movie as vile as... Killer Tongue. It makes me think that much more I just didn't "get it."
Old 10-11-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Killer Tongue is an acquired taste
Old 10-12-13, 10:32 AM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The dvd I received from Netflix had about the worst transfer I have every seen. It looked like it was taken from a reduced 4:3 VHS that had been rented about 800 times before the transfer. It was really bad and was like watching something on Youtube.
It really was VHS-quality, wasn't it? I bought the 4-pack from Amazon as many people on here did. When it came in, I popped the movie in for a second to check it out, found it to be of abysmal quality, and rented it from Netflix, hoping to receive a better copy. Nope--the stand-alone disc has the exact same transfer as the 4-pack version. It looks to me as if the widescreen movie was being shown on a sheet, and someone set up a camcorder to only get the middle of the image. No panning and scanning here, just the dead center of the image, without ever changing.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm sorry, but this happens to be the movie this challenge that puts me in a bad mood. Maybe it's because I watched a lot of crap yesterday and this was just the topper; I don't know, but I absolutely dislike every second of this movie.
If I weren't trying to complete the subset list, this one would have been out of the player before the meteorite hit. It's probably the worst film I've seen in a year, and it will probably be the worst film I see until next year's challenge...which never fails to have one film that I loathe. For a moment, I thought that this might displace Smash Cut as my least-favorite film of any challenge, but then I remembered how angry I got at Smash Cut and realized that this one could never displace it.

Still, I'm not so sure that I trust SterlingBen's movie recommendations any more.
Old 10-12-13, 11:04 AM

I'm still thinking about how I feel about that, that experience.... but am leaning towards agreeing with Rob. But now I'm trying to remember Smash Cut and contemplating putting that in the player.
Old 10-12-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I'd seen this one before, many years ago, but didn't remember much about it. I should've taken that as a sign not to watch it again.
Old 10-12-13, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm still thinking about how I feel about that, that experience.... but am leaning towards agreeing with Rob. But now I'm trying to remember Smash Cut and contemplating putting that in the player.
Just say no, Trevor...put the disc on the ground and back away slowly, for your own protection.
Old 10-12-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love Smash Cut! A lot of fun, and well worth a second viewing. However, you have to have an appreciation (or at least knowledge) of H.G. Lewis in order for the joke to make sense. If you don't like Lewis, or cannot appreciate a fun tribute to Lewis style gore, then definitely pass.
Old 10-12-13, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I love Smash Cut! A lot of fun, and well worth a second viewing. However, you have to have an appreciation (or at least knowledge) of H.G. Lewis in order for the joke to make sense. If you don't like Lewis, or cannot appreciate a fun tribute to Lewis style gore, then definitely pass.
Dick, I have a real fondness for Lewis and his films, but I found Smash Cut to be horrible--horribly unfunny, horribly made, and worst of all, horribly condescending to its audience. I can appreciate that some people found it to be worthwhile, but it just rubbed me the wrong way from the first frame to the last.
Old 10-12-13, 02:37 PM

Here is the thread we did on Smash Cut three Challenges ago.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-19-a.html

I don't remember much about it, but apparently hated it.
Old 10-12-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm. I'll have to watch it again. It's been a while, and I may have been more focused on watching Sasha Grey than what was actually going on.
Old 10-12-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it seems that this is a new tradition, a movie picked by myself that is overall maligned by the forum.

My last years pick of Poltergeist was also not a crowd pleaser.
Old 10-12-13, 05:49 PM

So it seems that this is a new tradition, a movie picked by myself that is overall maligned by the forum.

Wasn't your subset pick last year Frankenhooker? Thumbs up on that one here.

...Poulterygeist before that, I'm a fan of that one too. Both are examples of oddball comedy done "right" as opposed to my subjective distaste of Killer Tongue. I think eccentric blends of horror and comedy can be effective; but KT just felt scattered/random - maybe less satric than the others or more intentionally campy to the point of losing it's edge.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-12-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 06:09 PM

For years, I could have sworn I owned this but sometime last spring I noticed it wasn't listed as "owned" on my Dvd Aficionado so I ordered a cheap copy from Secondspin. Guess it came in handy.

I'm all for oddball movies, in fact I'm usually the one guy in the room loving certain titles, but this felt really dragging in the last half, like it wasn't sure what to do next and that brought it down a lot for me. Other than that it was fun and I could tell my wife would have liked it.

The funny thing is, watching this at first I would have sworn it was Australian since the tone and look feels so much like movies of the era and that region did. I was surprised to see that it was Spanish in origin.

Don't feel so bad. My few times I picked a title didn't go over too well either. I think they were The Possession of Joel Delany and Sheitan. But the fun is getting people to check out a movie that probably wasn't on the majority of their radars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.