Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Family Guy -- "Airport `07" -- 03/04/07

LorenzoL
03-04-07, 04:50 AM
"Airport `07"
Peter causes Quagmire to lose his job as a pilot; Hugh Hefner gives Quagmire advice, which leads him to save the day.
Originally Aired: March 04, 2007

Lateralus
03-04-07, 10:40 AM
I hate when Fox pulls this crap, 8 PM Simpsons, 8:30 The Winner, 9:00 Family Guy.

Now I have to find something else to do between 8:30 and 9:00. :(

Brain Stew
03-04-07, 05:34 PM
Watch The Winner. It looks seriously funny.

HE Pennypacker
03-04-07, 08:31 PM
I thought this episode was hilarious, one of the best since Family Guy's return. The only gag that fell completely flat was Lois' reaction to Peter's "nut in a tree" line.

skatefan20
03-04-07, 08:38 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/2hzti4n.jpg

Prom-night Dumpster Baby. YIKES!

The Infidel
03-04-07, 09:03 PM
What was the deal with the scene of someone sticking their toe in Meg's mouth while she was sleeping? It didn't seem to have anything to do with the scene before or after. I didn't think I missed anything, but maybe I did.

Sweet Baby James
03-04-07, 09:08 PM
What was the deal with the scene of someone sticking their toe in Meg's mouth while she was sleeping? It didn't seem to have anything to do with the scene before or after. I didn't think I missed anything, but maybe I did.
It was Quagmire's toe. I just assume that it was another example of Quagmire's sexual perversions.:lol:

Achtung
03-04-07, 09:52 PM
Prom-night Dumpster Baby. YIKES!

Have to say I thought that was one of the worst things I've seen on the show... and to top it off it was totally unfunny. My $.02.

The rest of the show was pretty good. What was the parody at the end though with Quagmire running through the field?

StealthStratos
03-04-07, 10:06 PM
What was the parody at the end though with Quagmire running through the field?

Little House on the Prairie.

cornflakeguy
03-04-07, 10:39 PM
Prom-Night Dumpster Baby doesn't make sense to me.

Why is it a "prom-night" dumpster baby? Isn't prom night the night that the girl would GET pregnant, not HAVE the baby?

The Infidel
03-04-07, 10:40 PM
Have to say I thought that was one of the worst things I've seen on the show... and to top it off it was totally unfunny. My $.02.
I found there were quite a few cringe-worthy jokes in this one. It's almost like they were intentionally trying to be overly politically incorrect tonight.

Brain Stew
03-04-07, 10:44 PM
Prom-Night Dumpster Baby doesn't make sense to me.

Why is it a "prom-night" dumpster baby? Isn't prom night the night that the girl would GET pregnant, not HAVE the baby?
It's based on the fact that there have been numerous instances of girls having their babies in the bathroom during the prom and leaving the baby for dead in dumpster.

Prime comedy material.

The Infidel
03-04-07, 10:48 PM
It was Quagmire's toe. I just assume that it was another example of Quagmire's sexual perversions.:lol:
Usually the jokes are pretty easy to catch. That one just came in from out of the blue and lost me, I guess.

cornflakeguy
03-04-07, 10:50 PM
It's based on the fact that there have been numerous instances of girls having their babies in the bathroom during the prom and leaving the baby for dead in dumpster.

Prime comedy material.

Of course I've heard tons of stories of young girls dumping babies, but I have never heard of one being dumped AT prom.

If you are at the prom, that means you have been at school for mostly the entire year. Proms are in May. If you are nine months pregnant to have a baby in May, that means the girl would have been showing, at school, in May, April, March, Feburary, and January at least.

How can you hide a pregnancy under those circumstances?

I will have to search the net for these Prom-Night Dumped babies you speak of.

bullwinkle
03-04-07, 10:51 PM
Some really obscure and inappropriate jokes tonight, but I loved it. It seemed much more fresh than usual.

chrisih8u
03-04-07, 11:03 PM
I thought the dumpster baby bit was funny, but the incest joke made me cringe. Not a bad episode overall.

GuruTwo
03-04-07, 11:04 PM
"Airport '07"? That's hilarious!

Replacing a "7" with a "0" = COMEDY GOLD!

You know, on the "Simpsons" DVD's they talk about how writers will spend hours wasting time coming up with clever episode titles before being told to knock it off by the showrunners due to the fact that most people never see the episode titles.

On "Seinfeld" every episode with the exception of "Male Unbonding" was a simple description of the show starting with "The" ("The Contest", "The Finale", "The Pilot", etc.) because Larry & Jerry didn't want their writers wasting their time on clever titles either.

It's interesting to know that the "Family Guy" writing staff obviously doesn't waste their time coming up with clever episode titles either. I mean, one look at "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and this particularly lame title and you can see that they'd rather devote their energies on the episodes themselves, and by "the episodes themselves" I mean "the 'Simpsons' episodes they're ripping off".

chrisih8u
03-04-07, 11:10 PM
That was the longest threadcrap I've ever seen.

MrX
03-05-07, 12:16 AM
I thought it was funny, though Quagmire always cracks me up.

mndtrp
03-05-07, 02:02 AM

The rest of the show was pretty good.
I agree with this statement.

dcprules
03-05-07, 03:07 AM
Pretty funny episode. I love Peter's thoughts about what would happen when he fills his car up with airplane fuel. Good episode!

IMRICKJAMES
03-05-07, 04:19 AM
Of course I've heard tons of stories of young girls dumping babies, but I have never heard of one being dumped AT prom.

If you are at the prom, that means you have been at school for mostly the entire year. Proms are in May. If you are nine months pregnant to have a baby in May, that means the girl would have been showing, at school, in May, April, March, Feburary, and January at least.

It happened, I remember when the story was all over the news. She had the baby in the bathroom while prom was going on and then dumped the newborn in the dumpster.

Charlie Goose
03-05-07, 07:19 AM
Little House on the Prairie.
When that was playing, my wife called down to me, "Little House was on?" :lol:

I liked the news recreation of the plane making a rough landing and crashing into a school, then a school for bunnies, then a school for bunnies with one guy who went home and beat his wife. Although the screaming of the flaming bunnies was a little unsettling.

Jay G.
03-05-07, 07:53 AM
Here's one article:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986568,00.html

CPA-ESQ.
03-05-07, 07:54 AM
Prom Night Dumpster Baby (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986568,00.html?promoid=googlep)

PROM NIGHTMARE
Monday, Jun. 23, 1997 By MARGARET CARLSON Depravity was defined downward last week, six months after two New Jersey teenagers--who had been given everything but a conscience--delivered a baby boy and briskly disposed of him in a Dumpster before heading to the White Glove Car Wash to rinse off the blood. Now we have Melissa Drexler, who slipped into the bathroom at her senior prom, delivered a 6-lb. 6-oz. baby boy and tossed him in the trash basket with the soiled paper towels in time to get back to the party. She asked the disk jockey to play her favorite Metallica song and danced with her boyfriend. A student told a reporter later, "She seemed to be enjoying herself."

Cleaning up after themselves, as Amy Grossberg and Brian Peterson did, seems like a quaint gesture of guilt next to a hasty return to the prom for a postpartum spin around the dance floor. There's not a flicker of humanity in these cases, and there are more of them being reported, if not more of them happening. No one keeps comprehensive statistics on abandoned babies, but in Los Angeles County last year, there were 10 newborns left to die; two summers ago, three were discarded in Southern California beach communities. In Monmouth County, N.J., where Drexler left her baby, there were 12 abandoned babies in the past 10 years. But four New Jersey teenagers have abandoned babies in the past six months alone.

Whenever these grisly abandonments occur, right-to-life proponents argue that we've arrived at the bottom of the slippery slope they've been warning us about since Roe v. Wade in 1973. As usual, Newt Gingrich goes too far when he talks about a culture of Dumpster babies, but why couldn't Melissa have wrapped the baby in a cloth and left him, as panicked girls used to do, someplace safe like the church steps, or turn to the Yellow Pages, filled with "pregnancy counseling" and "abortion alternatives"?

The newspaper ads suggesting that girls were having third-trimester abortions because they couldn't fit into their prom dresses remain pro-life hyperbole, but the Roman Catholic bishops who ran them are right when they say there is almost no difference between the prom Mom and a woman having a third-trimester abortion, except for location and a few days.

The bishops lost moral high ground, however, when they tossed in the Dumpster the best chance to restrict late-term abortions since abortion was made legal. An astonishing thing happened during the debate over a bill to ban partial-birth abortions, which has no chance of actually becoming law, and wouldn't result in even one less abortion even if it did. Alarmed to learn of the many third-trimester abortions performed after six months, under milewide exceptions for vague reasons of mental health, Democratic Senator Thomas Daschle introduced a bill that would have banned all abortions in which the baby could have lived outside the womb, which these days means after about 23 weeks. Yet Republicans preferred to cling to their own doomed bill rather than give up a potent political issue or accept Daschle's exception to the ban for women whose pregnancies could cause "grievous physical injury"--even though that closes the mental-health loophole. If it's disregard for life that turns girls like Melissa into murderous monsters, then the Republicans need look no farther than themselves for someone to blame.

jonw9
03-05-07, 08:02 AM
I thought it was odd that FG and the Simpsons both are a "redneck comedy tour" thing going on this week.

Morf
03-05-07, 08:16 AM

Wow, over-analyze much? :lol: They are kids in high school, I don't think they really, you know, planned things out ahead of time.

Snowmaker
03-05-07, 08:16 AM
Nein Nunb as the co-pilot I thought was great, but it probably went over a lot of people's heads.

What was the "Three Weeks Later" thing with the 3 mice in the bottom corner from? It looked familiar.

Palaver
03-05-07, 08:26 AM

I have to agree. It is scenes like this that make it hard to convince my wife to watch this show. If it was funny or was trying to make some point, I could understand it better. It just seemed designed to make people feel uncomfortable.

Jay G.
03-05-07, 08:36 AM
I have to agree. It is scenes like this that make it hard to convince my wife to watch this show. If it was funny or was trying to make some point, I could understand it better. It just seemed designed to make people feel uncomfortable.
Whether or not you found it funny, it was obviously intended to be funny. This is from the same episode that mined humor out of bunnies on fire, a man beating his wife, and Quagmire having a few dozen sex slaves. Creating humor out of un-PC, taboo, or just plain uncomfortable situations is part of what Family Guy does.

Palaver
03-05-07, 09:54 AM
Whether or not you found it funny, it was obviously intended to be funny. This is from the same episode that mined humor out of bunnies on fire, a man beating his wife, and Quagmire having a few dozen sex slaves. Creating humor out of un-PC, taboo, or just plain uncomfortable situations is part of what Family Guy does.

I'm a big fan of Family Guy. I enjoy the cringe inducing humor they use. But, for me, that scene was all cringe and no humor. But, if other people found it funny, than obviously the fault lies with me. I guess everyone has their limits. :shrug:

Otherwise, I thought it was great episode.

Jay G.
03-05-07, 10:28 AM
If you watch something like Family Guy that uses potentially offensive material for humor, odds are at some point it's going to strike something that offends you.

I can't think of any personal example from Family Guy, but I do know that there have been several instances in South Park where for me the show crossed the line from offensive humor to just plain offensive. However, I understood that what I found offensive was at least funny to them, and potentially to other viewers, who in turn may have been offended at something that I found funny. It's just the risk you take when watching a show like that.

zaphod2467
03-05-07, 10:53 AM
What was the "Three Weeks Later" thing with the 3 mice in the bottom corner from? It looked familiar.

Babe

Deftones
03-05-07, 11:00 AM
I found it a funny episode. Nothing offended me. Not much does, though. :shrug:

GuruTwo
03-05-07, 02:16 PM
Nein Nunb as the co-pilot I thought was great, but it probably went over a lot of people's heads.

Yeah, as time goes on and the people of the world become less and less cultured you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would recognize something as high-brow as a "Return of the Jedi" reference. With clever evocations such as this "Family Guy" truly appeals to the intellectual elite.

Obey The D
03-05-07, 02:27 PM
Yeah, as time goes on and the people of the world become less and less cultured you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would recognize something as high-brow as a "Return of the Jedi" reference. With clever evocations such as this "Family Guy" truly appeals to the intellectual elite.

What part of the following (from last weeks Family Guy thread) don't you understand:

Dead-"GuruTwo, threadcrapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in the show, then please don't post in the thread."

achau9598
03-05-07, 03:21 PM
I still think that the people behind FG are trying to get the show taken off the air. They just keep crossing the line - and I keep laughing my ass off.

Thought the incest joke was a bit sick, but loved the whole "Airplane" setting. Right down to the music. I kept waiting for someone to walk into the cockpit and do the Leslie Nielson "I just want to say good luck - we're all counting on you" after they landed.

Shazam
03-05-07, 04:03 PM
There were bunnies on fire? Damn, I gotta watch the episode again. Bunnies in pain pleases me.

RichC2
03-05-07, 04:48 PM
It's interesting to know that the "Family Guy" writing staff obviously doesn't waste their time coming up with clever episode titles either. I mean, one look at "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and this particularly lame title and you can see that they'd rather devote their energies on the episodes themselves, and by "the episodes themselves" I mean "the 'Simpsons' episodes they're ripping off".

You honestly can't go a week without threadcrapping can you, you must of been fired from the show to have this much resentment for it.

Mind sharing what was wrong with this particular episode? Plus, I can't quite figure out which Simpsons episode this one was based on.

Overall, not the funniest episode of the season, but still damn entertaining.

Hubcap
03-05-07, 04:50 PM
thought that incest joke was pure magic. Great episode, when they showed that guy that was in star wars i was laughing my ass off.

magiccmom
03-05-07, 05:02 PM
I dont get easily offended either, but I did cringe at Prom Baby Dumpster, and sometimes South Park crosses the line for me too. But I always remember these shows are meant to do that. I find the shows hysterical, and someones offended line might be further away than mine. When we finally get that humor, like everything else, is subjective, and cant be argued? I guess when we get that, there would be no reason for threads then?

Snowmaker
03-05-07, 06:18 PM
Babe
That's what I thought.

Seriously, who let this guy in?

My wife had no idea who he was, as I'm sure a lot of viewers not big on Star Wars didn't either.

Dr_Evil
03-05-07, 07:11 PM
My favorite part of the episode

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIkFMtiBN0A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkFMtiBN0A

mike7162
03-05-07, 07:49 PM
I thought the episode was hilarious for precisely the reasons that people always seem to complain about: the tasteless gags,offensive humor and random pop culture references - I mean that's the show! I also don't understand watching a show you don't like - why waste your time?

GuruTwo
03-05-07, 09:27 PM
you must of been fired from the show to have this much resentment for it.

It's funny you mention this. I'm not a professional writer and I don't have any aspirations to be one but if there was a "Job Fairy" that came along and granted you your dream job I would probably go for a writing gig on a show I love and respect. Of all recent shows the one that probably best fits my sensibilities would have been "Arrested Development" but I could see myself being happy writing for "The Simpsons" or SNL (though I think it's terrible now) or a handful of other shows. This is actually something I've thought about from time to time.

As part of this hypothetical "granted a TV writing gig" scenario I've actually considered what I would do if this "Job Fairy" offered me a spot in the "Family Guy" writer's room.

I can honestly say that I could be dirt-poor and have a bunch of starving kids and I still wouldn't take a job as a "Family Guy" writer. I literally wouldn't be able to live with myself if my job entailed going to a room with a bunch of people who don't understand comedy and trying to crap out jokes involving GI Joe and Transformers all day long. There would be a bullet in my brain or a noose around my neck before too long.

I have to say that I have though of another hypothetical scenario that involves being employed as a "Family Guy" writer. For a long time I've been fascinated with the idea of infiltrating the "Family Guy" writing staff and just contributing the most formulaic and intellectually-devoid "jokes" to see how far you could get. I truly and sincerely believe that you could go fucking far on that show by literally trying to write the worst comedy you could possibly think of.

Doing would be a fascinating exercise for a blog, a magazine article or even a book. Just imagine reading about Seth MacFarlane patting some mole-writer on the back for coming up with an "awesome" Skeletor joke.

My favorite part of the episode

I'm actually very secular and you would think that I would appreciate all the secular humor on "Family Guy" but I just watched this clip and the laziness is shocking. Call me crazy but I have to think that if some crazy creationist dubbed over that clip that he probably wouldn't make reference to "Jesus bones" since Christians believe that Jesus's body ascended into Heaven but what do I know?

It sorta reminds me of that terrible "Wheel of Fortune" joke they did that said "Go _uck Yourself". Of course, the joke completely falls apart due to the fact that it couldn't be saying "fuck" since "f" is already used at the end of "Yourself" and the final "reveal" was a total cheat since the spaces for "In" were conveniently omitted until they were turned around. That's just the kind of sloppy writing you can expect on "Family Guy".

RichC2
03-05-07, 09:32 PM
Oh thats right, you're the one that believes they make references with no jokes. I wholly disagree, but whatever, different strokes for different folks.

Stop threadcrapping. If you're going to bitch about something, tear the actual episode apart instead of just slamming the titles with references to the first few episodes.

Call me crazy but I have to think that if some crazy creationist dubbed over that clip that he probably wouldn't make reference to "Jesus bones" since Christians believe that Jesus's body ascended into Heaven but what do I know?

Have a field day with that one, it wasn't supposed to be a crazy creationist, it was supposed to be a stupid redneck. Of course, had you actually, I don't know, watched the episode instead of just bitching about its existence you may have known that. But now I'm just repeating myself, guess it rubbed off.

Jadzia
03-05-07, 10:17 PM
GuruTwo if you don't watch the show, I would suggest you refrain from posting in the thread. Threadcrapping is frowned upon here and your posts have reported multiple times. I believe this is your second warning. Any further thread-crapping posts will be deleted and administrative action may be taken.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Dr_Evil
03-05-07, 10:17 PM
I'm actually very secular and you would think that I would appreciate all the secular humor on "Family Guy" but I just watched this clip and the laziness is shocking. Call me crazy but I have to think that if some crazy creationist dubbed over that clip that he probably wouldn't make reference to "Jesus bones" since Christians believe that Jesus's body ascended into Heaven but what do I know?

That's the funniest part of it. The dubbed over redneck parts aren't even correct. Even the Young Earth creationist believe the Earth is thousands of years old not hundreds. And you've already pointed out the part about Jesus's bones. I thought that was what sent it over the top.

redskull
03-06-07, 03:23 PM
Prom Night Dumpster Baby (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986568,00.html?promoid=googlep)

PROM NIGHTMARE
Monday, Jun. 23, 1997 By MARGARET CARLSON Depravity was defined downward last week, six months after two New Jersey teenagers--who had been given everything but a conscience--delivered a baby boy and briskly disposed of him in a Dumpster before heading to the White Glove Car Wash to rinse off the blood. Now we have Melissa Drexler, who slipped into the bathroom at her senior prom, delivered a 6-lb. 6-oz. baby boy and tossed him in the trash basket with the soiled paper towels in time to get back to the party. She asked the disk jockey to play her favorite Metallica song and danced with her boyfriend."

Oy Gevalt! Obviously this is about as sick and vile as one can get and the persons involved are beyond contempt, but from a purely physiological standpoint, how is it possible for someone to force an infant out of their body and then be able to dance afterward? Forgive my ingnorance, but it seems like it would be a pretty intense and gruelling experience, and not the kind of thing you'd recover from in a few minutes.

SexualPudding
03-06-07, 04:16 PM
I got a kick out of Brian's little flashback where Stewie was beating his ass for not paying his debt. I don't recall seeing previous episodes acknowledged like that before on this show.

kvrdave
03-06-07, 06:32 PM
How have people not brought up the Marlee Matlin thing yet. So incredibly tasteless that I laughed out loud so hard, I had to pause the show.

rotfl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m01xG3ZI5A

Slayer2005
03-06-07, 06:59 PM
Hilarious episode. I seriously wouldn't want to know someone who didn't at least find this show semi amusing. You know someone like that would suck to be around. Anyone who expects all of their laughs to come only from high brow incredibly intellgient jokes is a person who must laugh very rarely in life. Just reading at how GuruTwo nitpicks Famiy Guy to death makes me want to slit my throat. His Family Guy rants are pathetic. They serve no purpose or point. He's like an attention whore or something.

You gotta hate elitists who come here thinking of their opinions as fact when it comes to humor. I've seen a couple episodes of Arrested Development and only slightly chuckled a couple of times. If someone else finds them hilarious that's great. I may actually watch it one day from the beginning though to see if the show will grow on me.

Some people simply cannot comprehend that other people have different tastes and it's annoying, especially when certain people feel the need to come here and express their view simply to insult the viewers and act all high and mighty. Some of us realize that other people have a different sense of humor and live with that instead of bashing the show just to piss people off.

I like Family Guy for the some of the reasons GuruTwo seems to hate it (though I believe he's so biased against it that he wouldn't admit it if he thought one was funny). What I love about Family Guy:

1: The ridiculousness and absurdness of it all and how almost ANYTHING crazy can happen.
2: How politically incorrect and tasteless the jokes can be. I love brutal jokes, especially like the one where Britney Spears pushed a dent in her baby's head while smoking, dumped ashes in the dent and then dropped her baby on the floor to go get the door. :lol:
3: I love the characters. Peter is my favorite moron. Brian is my favorite dog character. Stewie is my favorite baby character. Quagmire is my favorite pervert. Joe is my favorite cripple. Etc.
4: I like the randomness a lot too, usually. Why do some people feel EVERYTHING has to follow the same formula for telling a story? Let Family Guy be Family Guy. It wouldn't be the same without the cut away gags and shit. I don't watch Family Guy for great stories. I watch it to laugh my ass off. When I want better told stories I'll watch my Futurama DVDs.

kvrdave
03-06-07, 10:44 PM
They server no purpose or point.

I always wonder when I see this particular typo whether or not the person works in the IT field or something related, and they are just so conditioned to type "server."

Slayer2005
03-07-07, 12:23 AM
:lol: I just came to check this and I was going to try to fix that typo before someone brought it up. Too late. I'm gonna fix it anyway though. :)

BTW, no I do not work in the IT field. I sometimes type so fast that my typing exceeds the speed that my brain is processing the words at and errors are made. :lol: I've made much weirder typing mistakes than that before though. There are times when I have gone back to check a post for errors to edit out and come across some errors that make me go :wtf: :)

kvrdave
03-07-07, 10:38 AM
:lol:

Brent L
03-12-07, 06:34 PM
I got a kick out of Brian's little flashback where Stewie was beating his ass for not paying his debt. I don't recall seeing previous episodes acknowledged like that before on this show.

I don't remember exactly what happened, but Brian once did something bad to Peter, or didn't prevent something bad from happening to Peter, and after it happened he yelled something along the lines of "and that's for rolling up the window of the General Lee" in reference to when Peter did just that before Brian tried to jump in the car.

I just watched this episode for the first time, and I loved every second of it. It's quite possibly my second favorite episode of the show ever.