Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do you do with old audio equipment?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-22-24, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a decades-old phonograph stereo system: turntable, receiver and large speakers in a cabinet which broke one of its wheels when I moved it into this apartment 20 years ago. It had a slight malfunction that could probably have been easily repaired if I’d ever bothered to take it to a repair shop but I didn’t. I found a site that claims to buy up audio equipment and will come pick it up in my area. I sent them a description and pictures of the system and their quick, polite reply was basically, “No thanks.”

So how does one get rid of these things? Just getting it out of the bedroom is going to be an ordeal. (Talk about painting into a corner.) Is there an electronics recycling place that comes to pick these things up without costing one anything? And will they take the cabinet, too? I found a site that will do it for a fee. Don’t know how much. I could just take it down to the recycling area in my building basement piece by piece and let the super handle it.

And what about my LPs? There are only a small number I’d want to keep or transfer to disc if I could find a place to do that easily. Some of my old soundtracks might even be collector’s items now (dating back to 1950s and ‘60s). But I doubt that anything except for the soundtracks have any great resell value. Where does one dispose of all of those?

Just wanted to see how others here have done it.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: What do you do with old audio equipment?

List it for free on a site like Craigslist with the caveat that they need to labor it out of the house themselves. I've never posted anything for free that didn't have a taker within a day. There will be someone out there willing to take the chance they could fix it cheaply and flip for a profit.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (05-10-24)
Old 04-23-24, 02:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 956 Likes on 798 Posts

Donate it to a thrift store or something.
Old 04-25-24, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Donate it to a thrift store or something.
Did you not read about it being a pain to remove? How many thrift stores will come to the house to remove items?
Old 04-25-24, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have a decades-old phonograph stereo system: turntable, receiver and large speakers in a cabinet which broke one of its wheels when I moved it into this apartment 20 years ago. It had a slight malfunction that could probably have been easily repaired if I’d ever bothered to take it to a repair shop but I didn’t. I found a site that claims to buy up audio equipment and will come pick it up in my area. I sent them a description and pictures of the system and their quick, polite reply was basically, “No thanks.”

So how does one get rid of these things? Just getting it out of the bedroom is going to be an ordeal. (Talk about painting into a corner.) Is there an electronics recycling place that comes to pick these things up without costing one anything? And will they take the cabinet, too? I found a site that will do it for a fee. Don’t know how much. I could just take it down to the recycling area in my building basement piece by piece and let the super handle it.

And what about my LPs? There are only a small number I’d want to keep or transfer to disc if I could find a place to do that easily. Some of my old soundtracks might even be collector’s items now (dating back to 1950s and ‘60s). But I doubt that anything except for the soundtracks have any great resell value. Where does one dispose of all of those?

Just wanted to see how others here have done it.

Thanks.
Is this a console stereo system? If so... bust it apart and drop it in recycling a bit at a time or remove the electronics and repurpose the cabinet. In general, those things are junk.

Our landfill here takes electronic recycling from city residents but you have to unload it onto a special pallet.
Old 04-25-24, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts

Look up electronic recycling events in your town and take them to recycle.
Old 04-25-24, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 214 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Did you not read about it being a pain to remove? How many thrift stores will come to the house to remove items?
Of course it depends on the items and the thrift store itself. But a thrift store removed some furniture from my parents house.

Another option is a website called freecycle. I posted things that I didn't need anymore (TV, lawn mower etc) and these items were taken within a few days.
Old 04-26-24, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

You don't have Smithee's phone number??
The following 4 users liked this post by davidlynchfan:
Alan Smithee (05-10-24), Ash Ketchum (04-26-24), cultshock (05-01-24), etching (05-19-24)
Old 04-29-24, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
When I was in college, one of my buds worked for a thrift store (I think it was Goodwill, but I could be wrong) as a driver who would go to peoples' houses to pick up bulky items like donated furniture and appliances. Dunno if they still do that or not.
Old 04-30-24, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I guess depends on how they are funded but businesses have been reevaluating procedures to cut down unnecessary procedures.
Old 05-01-24, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,581 Posts

This reminds me that I've been on the lookout for a nice vintage 70s receiver. They look way cooler than modern ones, but a high quality Japanese model in working condition can go for a lot these days.