Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Lennie Briscoe one-liner from the nominations below
15.79%
13.16%
13.16%
2.63%
5.26%
2.63%
21.05%
21.05%
2.63%
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
don't you watch USA and see all their SVU commercials?
It's the "doink doink"

Originally posted by shanester
"In New York City.....These are their stories" (cue that bang bang sound) speaking of which what instrument is thatt??
Old 04-18-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by velveeta
[Maybe they could get Kyle Secor as his old partner, Det. Tim Bayliss.
I think Tim's probably still in prison.

Has anybody thought they might pair Greene up with Bishop (Samantha Buck, no relation), that cute, intense redhead that Goren was teamed up with earlier this year on L&O:CI when Erbe (and consequently, Eames) was out having her young 'un?
Old 04-22-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Law & Order 4/21

OK, I think this Bartman thing has gone a bit far if L&O has latched on to it as a sorta "ripped from the headlines" storyline.

I have one questions/rant: the lab woman made a big deal out of assembling a broken bottle from a plaster fragment. I SWEAR that the hottie tech guy from SVU did the exact same thing last season (I even think the rerun of the ep was on recently). Does anyone else remember this or is it a figment of my imagination?

One more thing and I guess I'll put it in spoilers just in case
Spoiler:
With only four more episodes to go I'm guessing the writers are aiming for a low-key Briscoe departure since it doesn't look like they're building up to anything
Old 04-22-04, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Law & Order 4/21

Originally posted by lisadoris
One more thing and I guess I'll put it in spoilers just in case
Spoiler:
With only four more episodes to go I'm guessing the writers are aiming for a low-key Briscoe departure since it doesn't look like they're building up to anything
Spoiler:
The new L&O spin-off will focus on the DAs and will include pricate investigators who do the legwork for them. Jerry Orbach is scheduled to have a recurring role as one of the PIs, so my guess is that Lenny is just going to take retirement, start collecting his pension, and work as a PI for the DAs to supplement his income.
Old 04-22-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I have one questions/rant: the lab woman made a big deal out of assembling a broken bottle from a plaster fragment. I SWEAR that the hottie tech guy from SVU did the exact same thing last season (I even think the rerun of the ep was on recently). Does anyone else remember this or is it a figment of my imagination?

Why would this be a rant if it happened? I'm sure that in the course of a lab tech's career, he or she will probably do the same thing many times over and I'm sure lab techs use similar techniques as other lab techs.
Old 04-22-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just think it's odd that the writers made such a big deal about it. It's a bit like the writers waving their hands in the air and screaming: hey we're canibalizing our on franchise what cha gonna do about it"
Old 04-22-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I'm getting a little tired of the whole "one things leads to some other case file down the line" episodes.
Old 04-22-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by cdollaz
I'm sure that in the course of a lab tech's career, he or she will probably do the same thing many times over and I'm sure lab techs use similar techniques as other lab techs.
Someone should've said that to the tech who was orgasmic about her "technique"..
Originally posted by devilshalo
I'm getting a little tired of the whole "one things leads to some other case file down the line" episodes.
Agreed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why this show doesn't rank as highly IMO as the other two.

Well, that, and Sam's eyebrows...
Old 04-22-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, somewhere. I'm not sure if it was an L&O or CSI franchise, but one of the crime shows. It triggered a sese of "deja vu all over again." I was wondering for a moment if I was watching a repeat but the rest of the story line wasn't familiar.

They got all gushy about it there too.
Old 04-22-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
it was an SVU episode where
Spoiler:
the wife of a judge kills her promiscuous, pregnant daughter with a bottle. The SVU tech reassembled the bottle and found the wife's fingerprints at the end. I think it turned out the wife was afraid everyone would find out the judge was sleeping with his own daughter.
Old 05-19-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Law & Order Season Finale, 5/19 - thanks Jerry Orbach for 12 yrs of Det. Briscoe

Law & Order has certainly slipped but one person who hasn't slipped is Jerry Orbach. Detective Lennie Briscoe - probably one of my 5 favorite television characters of all time. Fortunately, the character will survive into the new L&O: Trial by Jury.

Anyway, consider this a tribute thread to the actor and the character.

Pick your favorite Briscoe quote. Here are the nominations:

1) Lennie: We don't really give a damn about these people looting and bustin' up people's cars. That's not our department. We're homicide.
Suspect: So?
Lennie: So, your friend there is homicidin' somebody.

2) Forensic tech: See the blood stains here? That's type AB negative.
Lennie: Oh good! I got dibs on his liver.

3) Mike (trying to refute a woman's excuse that she doesn't remember the last time she spoke to her ex-husband): You remember the last time you spoke to your ex, Lennie?
Lennie: July 17th, 1994, 2:35 p.m.

4) Mike: Looking for a date?
Lennie (reading from the personal ads): "Open-minded MBBF seeks mature man."
Mike: What's that? Male bisexual bondage freak?
Lennie: I'm more in the mood for a BLT.

5) Divorce lawyer: Do you know haw many matrimonial attorneys were attacked last year?
Lennie: I know one who should've been.

6) (Discussing the parents of a murdered infant):
Van Buren: He's 48, she's 27?
Lennie: My hero.

7) ESU Lt: We have 6 unmatched pairs of shoes, a dozen panties, condoms by the bucketful.
Lennie: Sounds like the back of my first car

8) (Viewing the naked body of a high-priced call girl in the morgue)
Rey: You ever pay for it, Lennie?
Lennie: I was married, wasn't I?

9) Possible suspect (explaining the attractive women in & out of his office): I'm an accountant.
Lennie: Oh right. That's why so many beautiful women come to visit you. My accountant, Manny Loper, has to beat 'em off with a stick.

10) Limo dispatcher, being questioned about one of his driver's clients: This was a model? Good lookin'?
Lennie: Right. Not one of those ugly models.

Tonight's season finale:

Spoiler:
C.O.D. 10pm 2004-05-19

ONLINE ADULTERY LEADS TO MURDER IN DETECTIVE BRISCOE'S LAST CASE IN THE SEASON FINALE - In the season finale, when a deliveryman is gunned down while on his route, Detectives Briscoe (Jerry Orbach) and Green (Jesse L. Martin) discover their married victim was an active member of a website for consenting adults to arrange romantic trysts -- and they believe the homicide was premeditated. However, when they learn that the victim's wife had recently purchased a gun, the detectives focus their suspicions on the allegedly vengeful spouse. The case marks the end of an era for Detective Briscoe as he transitions to the District Attorney's investigative squad. Sam Waterston, Elisabeth Rohm, Fred Thompson and S. Epatha Merkerson also star. TV-14
Old 05-19-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you, Jerry. Your run on Law & Order has been wonderful, and I've enjoyed ever minute of it. However, you'll always be the dad from Dirty Dancing. Sorry.

das
Old 05-19-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good riddance. I've never forgiven him for putting Baby in a corner.
Old 05-19-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn straight. Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

das
Old 05-19-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the best tv detectives ever.

Lennie Briscoe - loved his wit
Frank Pembleton - intense
Joe Friday - the original
Old 05-19-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
#4 is the best of those quotes.

Even though I haven't watched L&O for 12 years, thanks for the ones I did watch, Jerry.
Old 05-19-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw that the new series is going to be a mid season replacement. No Jerry for a few months during the new season, apparently.
Old 05-19-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cdoug57
One of the best tv detectives ever.

Lennie Briscoe - loved his wit
Frank Pembleton - intense
Joe Friday - the original
Ice-T - Straight up P.I.M.P.
Old 05-19-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the years Jerry it's been great.

I know everybody else equates Orbach with Dirty Dancing but I always think about Lumiere from Beauty & the Beast.

Shame that we won't see Lenny untill January.
Old 05-19-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It's good to see one of Logan's partners from the two-seven leave the precinct for reasons other than being shot.
Old 05-19-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kantonburg
Ice-T - Straight up P.I.M.P.
"And then T was like, 'man, I ain't walking nowhere.' True story."
Old 05-19-04, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
How can you pick just one Lenny Briscoe quote?

One of my favorites was the one from this season or last season (after CSI became super popular) when one of the crime scene guys starts spouting off his thery on the case. Lenny rolls his eyes and says "Those crime scene guys are highly overrated. The problem is they all think they're cops."

Here's some more
C-Square: "I'll have my lawyers all over you."
Briscoe: "Oh, no--not the lawyers."

(after being told a killing was the work of the devil): "No, this was done by someone who knows the neighborhood. Satan's not a local."

[Scene: Briscoe and Logan enter seedy male strip joint]
Logan (looking at young man stripping): "Kid's not old enough to be in here."
Briscoe: "*I'm* not old enough to be in here."

Russian bride broker: "You guys single?"
Briscoe: "Yeah, three times."

(in response to finding out about the Nobel Prize winner's snootiness): "So he never stopped in to borrow a cup of protons?"

Logan: "One of these days I'm going to pack up a Winnebago."
Briscoe: "And go where?"
Logan: "Upstate,...New Hampshire."
Briscoe: "Right--I spent a year there one weekend."

Talent agent: "The man has--had--a lot of energy. I, on the other hand, have a wife."
Briscoe: "My condolences."

[Scene: Lennie is practicing his speech to the dead girl's mother.]
"Oh hello Mrs. Russell. We just saw a video of your daughter getting raped and shot in the head."

(to Logan): "Ya know, Mike, if I didn't already know you don't have kids, I'd know you don't have kids."

School secretary: "I'm sorry, I can't release the Harrigans' address. You'll have to see the headmaster."
Brisoce: "Miss, we're not asking for the questions to next week's algebra exam."
Secretary: "LCC protects the privacy of its students and their parents. It has done so for one hundred and thirty years. It's not up to me to change school policy."
Briscoe: "Well, our organization goes back even farther than that, and our policy includes such things as search warrants."

"Maybe some guy didn't wear his aluminum hat and some rays told him to knock on doors and kill people."

Logan: "Now I know why I stayed single."
Briscoe: "I thought it was the quality time you spent with yourself."

Profaci: "You goin' to Hanrighty's later?"
Lennie: "Gotta date."
Profaci: "At midnight? You call that a date, Lennie?"
Lennie: "The later it gets, the better they look."

(looking into dead cop's wallet): "Eleven bucks? That's about right for a cop."

"[The Catholic Church as an] unindited co-conspirator? My aunt who says the rosary every morning is gonna have a conniption."

[Scene: Mike and Lennie check the ID of a cabbie found shot dead in his cab.]
Mike: "Daniel Johnson, Corporal, awarded the Purple Heart in Desert Storm."
Lennie: "Compared to this, driving across the sand in Kuwait must have been a piece of cake."
"Johnson's the 43rd cabbie killed in the last 12 months. These guys have shorter life spans than fruit flies."

Forensics guy: "Their car wash policy must be once every leap year. There's a million overlapping prints on that cab."
Briscoe: "What about the ones on top?"

Crime scene technician: "Last time we sifted a dumpster, the Investigating Officer got in here himself."
Briscoe: "That's facinating. I think you missed a spot over there."

Van Buren: "What about Dr. Hampton? Any man in her life?"
Briscoe: "Yes, but his name is Fluffy and he's been neutered. Other than that, her social calendar is pretty light."

Mrs. Durban: "Richard was 47. His wild oats were sown long ago."
Briscoe: "With all due respect, Mrs. Durban, some of us old guys still have some life left in us."

Van Buren: "What have you got?"
Briscoe: "New evidence that May-December romances don't work."

[Reacting to the claim that his suspect didn't murder anyone]:
Briscoe: "Oh yeah? There's someone down at the M.E.'s office doing a pretty good impression of a dead guy."

Lennie: "Just once, I wish the bad guys would work at a reasonable hour."
Ed: "Yeah, like you got something better to do."
Lennie: "Hey, I was smack in the middle of a 4-star dream."
Ed: "Alone?"
Lennie: "What, are you hosting a talk show?"

Lennie: "Well, there's a refreshing change."
Ed: "What, a wife leaving her husband for a younger guy?"
Lennie: "No, a wife who doesn't want her ex-husband dead."

Mrs. Ramos: "Miss Virginia is very, very kind. In this house, she is a saint."
Lennie: "Well, now it's official because somebody killed her."

Lennie (reading a letter): "I enjoy clubbing, horseback riding, and phone sex."
Ed: "Sounds like your type, Lennie."
Lennie: "I don't club."

Lennie: "We need to talk to you."
Student: "About what?"
Lennie: "Oh, putting mayo on corned beef, for openers."
Old 05-19-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just finished watching this episode, and Lennie is gone! I won't go into anything too specific about the cases themselves, but this is what happened on the Lennie-front.

Spoiler:
Lennie decides to retire, and has a hard time telling Ed. When he does tell him, he mentions that if he gets bored, he might pick up some investigations from the DA's office, which I guess is how he will be involved with the new series. Good drawing of him at the end that all the cops signed. Bye Lennie!
Old 05-20-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm more sad now that I've watched it.
Old 05-20-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This episode capped a sad two hours..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.