Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Lennie Briscoe one-liner from the nominations below
15.79%
13.16%
13.16%
2.63%
5.26%
2.63%
21.05%
21.05%
2.63%
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 09:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
Now don't judge me by this, but I find it more comfortable to donated to those who will help the homeless, rather than pass out money, food, etc. to Joe Blow on the street. I had a friend give a sandwich to a guy that asking for money and food, and the man chucked the offering and demanded money for booze. That's a shame.
Don't worry - I feel the same thing esp. with the number of homeless here in New York. Even worse is the recent investigation by one of our news channels about this well known group that collects for the homeless on the sidewalks of the city, and that has made me even more jaded about the homeless issue.

Still, I found it rather interesting that last night's episode brought up the homeless.

Question to anyone who can answer this:
Sorry for the tangent, but I'm only an infrequent viewer of the L&O shows...however, I really gotta ask who plays the red-headed prosecutor on L&O: SVU...
Old 01-08-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another thing. The defense attorney brought up the fact that the partol officer called the homeless 'Skels' and 'Liceheads'. As fas as I saw, he said that to Briscoe and Green. That means that one of them had to put that in the report, knowing that it would come back and hurt the cop. From past episodes, niether Briscoe or Green is the type of cop to do anything that would put another cop in a bad light (barring a serious criminal offense). I can't see either one of them putting the slurs into their report.

D
Old 01-08-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
-How did the first defense lawyer magically know to ask for his own autopsy?
The family was Jewish and he was hoping that they would refuse to dig up the body. Then he can claim resonable doubt as to the cause of death.

It was just blind luck that they agreed to the autopsy and it showed a different cause of death.
Old 01-08-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Another thing. The defense attorney brought up the fact that the partol officer called the homeless 'Skels' and 'Liceheads'. As fas as I saw, he said that to Briscoe and Green. That means that one of them had to put that in the report, knowing that it would come back and hurt the cop. From past episodes, niether Briscoe or Green is the type of cop to do anything that would put another cop in a bad light (barring a serious criminal offense). I can't see either one of them putting the slurs into their report.

D
I agree on your assessment of Briscoe and Green. It's possible that the patrol officers themsevles put it in their report. Since they didn't know about the murder they probably figured no body would read it.

Good topic, not so good execution. I'm reminded every week why SVU has become my fav L&O show.
Old 01-08-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
They start out with an interesting premise(ripped from the headlines of course) but within 15minutes it's tossed out of the window and the rest of the show is about homeless people.
I agree with this...but for different reasons. Since the plot changed, there was less screen time for this gorgeous creature

More from Derrich
A few points:
-The lady in the Aston Martin gets off with probation? No matter how you explain it, that seemed way off.
-'Sounds human to me'. Thats was the big comeback line?
- Two words for ya...Lizzie Grubman. Oh wait, she was actually sentenced to a country club prison for ONE month.

- Yeah. I have a problem with Sam Waterston. Or, perhaps, his eyebrows. I think that's why I like L&O SVU & CI more.
Originally posted by greydt
Question to anyone who can answer this:
Sorry for the tangent, but I'm only an infrequent viewer of the L&O shows...however, I really gotta ask who plays the red-headed prosecutor on L&O: SVU...
That's SVU's very own "Serena Southerlyn"-esque ADA Casey Novak. The previous ADA was MUCH better. But, to answer your question...Diane Neal.
Old 01-08-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Law and Order: 1/07

L&O has officially become a bad show.

-Elizabeth Rohms acting hasn't gotten any better and her character is becoming a pale version of Jamie Ross.

D

I've been saying for the last 2 1/2 years that it has been on a steady downhill course, and this is coming from a person who believes it was the greatest drama of all-time. Since Angie Harmon left, there have been basically a few good episodes each season and the rest are utterly forgettable.

My feelings on Rohm/Southerlyn are well-known in this forum. I have to agree with your assessment. Diane Neal even puts her to shame. Dick Wolf needs to either A) beg Carey Lowell or Angie Harmon to come back or B) get someone with some energy to fill that role. Unfortunately, given the high ratings, it is doubtful he will tinker with it.

As for this episode, the necessity defense is a novel idea, but legally speaking, there just isn't enough teeth to it to apply it to the facts of this hypothetical case.
Old 01-08-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm boycotting this show until Thompson gets canned. At least Rohm is cute. Sorta. That "Limousine Liberals" line was really gratuitous. They're obviously pandering to this lacktalent hack, and while that's their prerogative, I ain't watching it happen. I actually literally switched the channel and stopped watching the show, which is pretty rare for me.

Add me to the list of people who think the franchise is being carried by Benson and Stabler these days (although I wish we could clear up whether John Munch is from NYC or Baltimore or both...he's had memories, anecdotes and flashbacks about both cities.)
Old 01-08-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the following this show has they can overcome one bad actor[ess].

I still enjoy the show and SVU.
Old 01-08-04, 11:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
This was only the 3rd episode I've seen this season but it doesn't really interest me anymore.

SVU is so much better then this anymore it's not a contest.
Old 01-09-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

I actually like Fred Thompson and the character. Sure, he's no Steven Hill/Adam Schiff, but he is far far better than Diane Wiest.
Old 01-09-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I think Munch is from both. IIRC the art exhibit he was featured in during Homocide was from his days in the Village, anyone else remember this, or remember this differently?
Old 01-09-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
I actually like Fred Thompson and the character. Sure, he's no Steven Hill/Adam Schiff, but he is far far better than Diane Wiest.
Amen. Rohm's got to go. She's annoying. Her character is annoying. She's essentially worthless as far as lawyering is concerned, other than to tell McCoy that the defense has a good point. Good thing she's not in charge.

"Hmmm...well, your Honor, now that I think about it, the defense makes a good point. Move to dismiss!"
Old 01-09-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
I think Munch is from both. IIRC the art exhibit he was featured in during Homocide was from his days in the Village, anyone else remember this, or remember this differently?
Bolander: "This ain't good, John. It ain't healthy. It's one thing for you to be alone...with your penis, in private..." Classic.

And later... "That's a pretty big piece of paper..."

Munch has said on SVU that he was friends with that fish market guy "Since we were kids" and he told Benson that story about the abused girl who lived near him in NYC, across the street.

We also know he was in High School or at least Junior High in Baltimore, where he had a crush on that girl who was killed years later. Her daughter was played by the adorable Jeana Louise Kelly. So that's some grounding in both cities.

I just hope they haven't decided to more or less completely ignore his Baltimore existence for his current job.
Old 01-11-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't like this episode at all. You can always tell when McCoy is going to lose a ruling to a foe when he starts his last point with "Your Honor" in the judges chambers...
Old 03-26-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Law & Order (huge) casting news

Jerry Orbach to depart Law & Order at the end of the season.

From tvguide.com:
There's bad news and even more bad news awaiting Law & Order fans this morning. The bad news: A major character is leaving NBC's long-running drama. And the even more bad news: It ain't Elisabeth Rohm's Serena Southerlyn. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jerry Orbach — who spent 12 years on the beat as Detective Lennie Briscoe — will depart the show at the end of the season. However, there's buzz that the veteran actor may take a role on the upcoming fourth installment of the franchise: Law & Order: Trial by Jury, which will follow a criminal case from arraignment to the jury's verdict.

This might be the final nail in the coffin for Law & Order and I. It has gone so downhill in the last 3 seasons (2 reasons: Elizabeth Rohm and subpar writing). The best half over these 3 seasons has been the Law side, mainly because of Orbach. L&O has had a lot of casting changes but I can't imagine L&O without him.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-26-04 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-26-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
WOW.

I wonder why? There's no mention as to why he's leaving. Health? Money?

What shitty news.
Old 03-26-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't even imagine L&O without him.
Old 03-26-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
He's the best character ever on L&O. Damn.
Old 03-26-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno how much I'd watch with him gone. However, his presence would make me watch the new Law & Order if he goes there.

More, from CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Is it time for the "Law & Order" troops to throw a goodbye party for Briscoe?

Sources say "Law & Order" veteran Jerry Orbach will depart Dick Wolf's long-running crime drama at the end of the season after 12 years on the beat as wise-cracking Detective Lennie Briscoe.

However, Orbach may still remain in business with Wolf with a role on the upcoming fourth installment of the franchise: "Law & Order: Trial by Jury."

As for the flagship series, there is no word yet about a replacement for Orbach, but one scenario involves his character's partner, Detective Ed Green (Jesse L. Martin), being promoted.

" 'Law & Order' has a 15-year track record of Dick Wolf never commenting on casting changes during the season," a spokesman for the show said Thursday. Indeed, "Law & Order" has famously weathered many cast changes since it bowed in 1990.

At present, Orbach is the longest-serving member of the current "Law & Order" cast members, having signed on during the show's third season in 1992.
Old 03-26-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Given what I know of the format of the 4th Law & Order, I can't see Jerry having much a role. My guess is that you may see him make guest appearances here and there.

They should move Munch over from SVU to replace Jerry.
Old 03-26-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

They should move Munch over from SVU to replace Jerry.
Agreed. He is criminally underused.

I think the dynamic between him and Green would be pretty good.
Old 03-26-04, 11:26 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
that sucks
Old 03-26-04, 12:21 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

As much as I like Jerry Orbach, a change could be a good thing for the show. It's pretty stale as it stands now.

But they still should've canned Elisabeth Rohm...
Old 03-26-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Red Dog •

Given what I know of the format of the 4th Law & Order, I can't see Jerry having much a role.
I haven't read much about it. Is it just a ripoff of Murder One with the Law & Order name attached?

das
Old 03-26-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by AJP

But they still should've canned Elisabeth Rohm...

That goes without saying. She either:

A. is sleeping with Dick Wolf or
B. has some dirt on Dick Wolf

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.