DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New Movie to Feature Hannibal Lecter's Childhood

eedoon
05-14-03, 08:10 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=600&e=2&u=/nm/20030514/film_nm/arts_cannes_hannibal_dc

I'm a big fan of The Silence of the Lambs but I'm a little bit pessimistic with this one.

matome
05-14-03, 08:11 AM
I love Hannibal as much as the next person, but it feels like they're starting to milk this one dry.

Groucho
05-14-03, 08:16 AM
I understand Jake Lloyd is available.

renaldow
05-14-03, 08:24 AM
:rolleyes: Make it stop.

Geofferson
05-14-03, 08:39 AM
I agree - enough already.

DonnachaOne
05-14-03, 08:41 AM
For some odd reason, the first time I heard this I kept thinking about the The State sketch, "The Adventures Of Young God".

Then I realized... it's because it's damn near impossible to milk a franchise further by releasing a "Young Years" thing without causing unintentional hilarity.

I can't wait for the inept, forced, in-jokes. "Listen to your mother and eat your fish, Hannibal, it's BRAIN FOOD!" - "Dammit! A STARLING pooped on the windshield of my first car! Oh, I think I'll have trouble with STARLINGS in the future!" - - Accompanied with look and wink to the audience...

Will the other kids call him "Hani"?

matome
05-14-03, 08:51 AM
:lol:

Iron Chef
05-14-03, 09:08 AM
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a little Nestle's Quick."

Jackskeleton
05-14-03, 09:15 AM
His mom gonna be packing him livers in his lunch box?

Fok
05-14-03, 11:02 AM
Movies like this will ruin the whole genre.

Kal-El
05-14-03, 11:03 AM
Can't they like, just stop already?

Jericho
05-14-03, 11:19 AM
I thought Matt Damon already did this on SNL :)

I just can't help but laugh at this idea. I mean, I'm all for people doing sequels and remakes if they want, but these just seems desperate.

Morf
05-14-03, 11:39 AM
You have got to be kidding.

milo bloom
05-14-03, 11:57 AM
Didn't Anthony Hopkins say he had a story written that would have Clarice finally putting a bullet in his head?

majorjoe23
05-14-03, 12:25 PM
I have no interest in Hannibal's younger years, because I've always assumed there's not much to them. I know in Hannibal Thomas made it out that he had been abused as a child, but that just seems so formulaic. I prefer what Hannibal said about himself, that was was born evil.

iggystar
05-14-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Iron Chef
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a little Nestle's Quick."

Um, Iron Chef, I'm at work and it's a little inappropriate for me to be on the floor laughing. Try to tone the comedy down a bit, huh.

Seriously, that made my day. :)

iggystar
05-14-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by iggystar
Um, Iron Chef, I'm at work and it's a little inappropriate for me to be on the floor laughing. Try to tone the comedy down a bit, OK?

iggystar
05-14-03, 12:27 PM
So funny, I posted twice by mistake!

Charlie Goose
05-14-03, 12:33 PM
"Hannibal Alan Lechter, eat your liver!"
"But mommmm!"
"It's the mailman's!"
"Excellent!"

"Hannibal, where's the dog?"
"The dog, his hair riddled with mange and an unhealthy predilection to applying his tongue to his genitals has shown himself to be unfit. It was not I, mother dear, who determined the poor cur's demise, I was simply the tool. Poochiekins is no more. I find the world an infinitely more interesting place without him."

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

d2cheer
05-14-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by iggystar
Um, Iron Chef, I'm at work and it's a little inappropriate for me to be on the floor laughing. Try to tone the comedy down a bit, huh.

mine too!

FunkDaddy J
05-14-03, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Will the other kids call him "Hani"?

That's hilarious.

I just wish Thomas Harris would MOVE ON. He's such a great writer, and he could be exploring fantastic new things.

marty888
05-14-03, 03:29 PM
Even <i>this</i> could have a prequel as we explore his mother's behavior during her pregnancy and its influence on her unborn son - perhaps with a voiceover a la <i>Look Who's Talking</i>.

Giantrobo
05-14-03, 09:41 PM
the book HANNIBAL touched on his childhood.

I personally would see it because I'm curious what makes him the monster he is.

Besides, if they can do Phantom Menace :rolleyes:

Darren Garrison
05-14-03, 10:00 PM
But what about the scene where Hannikin wins the soap-box derby and hits on Natalie Portman and....

Josh-da-man
05-15-03, 03:35 PM
Yes, that's right, the novel Hannibal did give some information on Hannibal Lecter's childhood. (And it wasn't very nice, either. In a lot of ways, it solidified his fascination with Clarice Starling.)

I actually don't have a problem with this, as long as Thomas Harris is involved -- and, according to the imdb, he is.

The Antipodean
05-15-03, 05:25 PM
The dead horse is not only beaten, it has been kicked down the stairs and into the incinerator at this point. :yack:

milo bloom
05-15-03, 08:46 PM
I'm not much of a writer, and not really well versed in the series, but I had an idea not to long ago that would be a sort of Godfather 2 kind of thing. It would be 3 hours long, and would intercut between Will Graham capturing Lecter (the end of which we saw in Red Dragon) and Clarice going over the edge and going on her own manhunt after Lecter because she's sick of his crap. There would be parallels and all that kind of stuff.

Sunday Morning
05-15-03, 09:19 PM
For the next film after this one, I want to see Hannibal lecter picking up where we left him off in hannibal, full of his wit and charm, going to hollywood to pursue a career in acting, excelling at it, and then later going on to sell out by making one bad movie after another for money.

JoeyOhhhh
05-15-03, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by marty888
Even <i>this</i> could have a prequel as we explore his mother's behavior during her pregnancy and its influence on her unborn son - perhaps with a voiceover a la <i>Look Who's Talking</i>. Thats gold right there.

NitroJMS
05-15-03, 11:59 PM
Furthur evidence that Dino De Laurentiis needs to be put out to pasture as a producer.

DonnachaOne
05-16-03, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Marty
Even this could have a prequel as we explore his mother's behavior during her pregnancy and its influence on her unborn son - perhaps with a voiceover a la Look Who's Talking.

"Where's the placenta gone? ... and why is the baby licking his lips and patting his tummy?"

Buck Turgidson
05-16-03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Furthur evidence that Dino De Laurentiis needs to be put out to pasture as a producer.

"Dino De Laurentis has all the aesthetic taste of a piano bench." - Harlan Ellison.

The Antipodean
05-16-03, 05:31 PM
Dino's resume is full of trash. "Flash Gordon," "Amityville II: The Possession," "Conan The Destroyer," "Silver Bullet," the wonderful 1976 "King Kong," "Body of Evidence".... what little good stuff has been done under him was undoubtedly due to the talent of those working for him, not Dino. He didn't even have anything to do with "Silence Of The Lambs," but because he owned the rights to sequels (he was involved with the first "Manhunter") he's ridden that hobby horse right into the ground.

jaeufraser
05-16-03, 10:01 PM
Yeah this doesn't sound so interesting. Hannibal Lector is a very interesting character, but when you explain EVERYTHING and show EVERYTHING there is about this character, what's to fear? Where's the mystery? Also, four actors for those ages? I don't think 20 and 25 are far enough apart to warrant separate actors.

NitroJMS
05-17-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Dino's resume is full of trash. "Flash Gordon," "Amityville II: The Possession," "Conan The Destroyer," "Silver Bullet," the wonderful 1976 "King Kong," "Body of Evidence".... what little good stuff has been done under him was undoubtedly due to the talent of those working for him, not Dino. He didn't even have anything to do with "Silence Of The Lambs," but because he owned the rights to sequels (he was involved with the first "Manhunter") he's ridden that hobby horse right into the ground.

Don't forget his epic masterpiece, Orca.

Yet the man somehow has a lifetime achievement Oscar. Maybe there's someway they got it mixed up with a producer who has a good resume behind him?