Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Yeah, Skyward Sword for $60 is the most egregious money grab I think I've seen from Nintendo, and that's saying a lot.

It looks like an upscaled Wii game, which is exactly what it is (with modified controls). Nobody that remembers the N64 would say anything on the 64 looked anywhere near that nice.

This should have been in a 3 pack with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD.
Old 02-18-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I mean, they have a 40 dollar pricepoint too (I want to say Captain Toad was that price?).

It does look like they spent money adapting the controls if not necessarily the graphics so if it plays a lot better than using a wiimote, I'll probably buy it anyway.
Old 02-18-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, but Zelda is one of their premiere titles. Captain Toad is a one off side character game.
Old 02-18-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, but Zelda is one of their premiere titles. Captain Toad is a one off side character game.
Captain Toad was originally a $40 game.

There is no excuse for the pricing of SS. I doubt that Xbox or Playstation would release a barely upgraded port of one of their most prized 2011 games by itself ten years later for even $40.
But as long as people continue to reward Nintendo for recycling old games with the most minimal of effort by purchasing them at the cost of a new full AAA game, I can hardly blame Nintendo for keeping the practice going.
I will be voting with my wallet.
Old 02-18-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ha, same here, for both.
Yep, same here. My 11 year screamed with excitement when the game was announced, followed by a NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when they told the release date. Nintendo should release the first Splatoon game on the Switch to tide people over until 3 is released next year.
Old 02-18-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean, they have a 40 dollar pricepoint too (I want to say Captain Toad was that price?).

It does look like they spent money adapting the controls if not necessarily the graphics so if it plays a lot better than using a wiimote, I'll probably buy it anyway.
I can't see mapping controllers being that costly. It's a new driver for whatever emulator they've created, unless they ported the code over entirely - then it's integrated.

...plus they can just piggy back off all the modders/emulation profiles that have spent a ridiculous amount of time getting the perfect controller config for the game.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-18-21 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Not a fan of the price but I'm glad I'll finally be able to play SS. The forced motion controls were such garbage.
Old 02-18-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I can't see mapping controllers being that costly. It's a new driver for whatever emulator they've created, unless they ported the code over entirely - then it's integrated.

...plus they can just piggy back off all the modders/emulation profiles that have spent a ridiculous amount of time getting the perfect controller config for the game.
I forgot about the stick mapping. I'm hoping that the motion controls are updated and much improved, though.
Old 02-18-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker

There is no excuse for the pricing of SS. I doubt that Xbox or Playstation would release a barely upgraded port of one of their most prized 2011 games by itself ten years later for even $40.
But as long as people continue to reward Nintendo for recycling old games with the most minimal of effort by purchasing them at the cost of a new full AAA game, I can hardly blame Nintendo for keeping the practice going.
I only brought up Captain Toad because fujishig used it as an example of a lower priced first party Nintendo game. I didn’t realize the Wii U version was $40 as I never owned a Wii U and didn’t pay attention to pricing for those games.

No one is making you buy Skyward Sword. If you don’t want to pay for it simply don’t. I don’t see what going round and round about it proves for anyone.

I see some value in a first party Nintendo game despite its age and price and will likely pick it up at some point.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-18-21 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-20-21)
Old 02-19-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Ugh...terrible direct. Nothing of note at all. Definitely nothing coming soon. Forget the kids I was excited to see Splatoon 3 but with a 2022 release it's just not news. Especially with their track record of late with announcing far off projects.

Yeah, that looked rough and angular. And, natch, they're asking $59.99 for that barely-remastered 10 year old game.
Originally Posted by slop101
Not interested in anything mentioned in the Direct, even if they weren't charging a ridiculous $60 for fucking decade-old ports. Fucking pathetic.
Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, Skyward Sword for $60 is the most egregious money grab I think I've seen from Nintendo, and that's saying a lot.

It looks like an upscaled Wii game, which is exactly what it is (with modified controls). Nobody that remembers the N64 would say anything on the 64 looked anywhere near that nice.

This should have been in a 3 pack with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD.
We were just having this discussion too before the Direct. It's such a terrible money grab. I was excited at first as I thought no way they'd charge $60 for SS. Especially since it doesn't look like they've done anything with the game at all. Remapping motion controls to the R analog stick? Hardly revolutionary. New limited edition Joy Cons? That's not a feature. There is zero reason to not include Twilight Princess and WW in this pack. Oh I just thought of a reason...because they're going to release those separately too with a $60 price tag. I love Nintendo and all but their money grabbing is starting to get REALLY tiresome this generation. Remember when they sold all three of the previous generation's mario games with greatly improved graphics and the never before released Lost Levels in one game pack? Or when they gave you ALL the Zelda games as a bonus disc for buying a GCN? Or when they released all three of the Metroid Prime games for the price of one game? Or even just a few months ago when they release (almost) all of the 3d Mario games including the Wii's generation Mario for the price of one game?
Old 02-20-21, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ghost ‘n Goblins is free through the Capcom Arcade Stadium app through 2/25. The app also includes 1943.

https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.co...akaimura-sale/
The following 2 users liked this post by SunMonkey:
Decker (02-20-21), Sonny Corinthos (02-20-21)
Old 02-20-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Ghost ‘n Goblins is free through the Capcom Arcade Stadium app through 2/25. The app also includes 1943.

https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.co...akaimura-sale/
Nice. I downloaded it simply for the fact that it’s a freebie. I’m not very good at Ghosts ‘n Goblins though.
Old 02-21-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Has there been any word on new Mario Kart Home Circuit characters/racers?
Old 02-22-21, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
Adam Tyner (02-22-21), slop101 (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah just look at Master Chief Collection. launched at $60. 4 mainline Halo titles with all online maps and modes along with constant updates to improve the games.
tanman (03-02-21)
Old 02-23-21, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Yeah just look at Master Chief Collection. launched at $60. 4 mainline Halo titles with all online maps and modes along with constant updates to improve the games.
That's a really bad example since the Master Chief Collection is widely regarded as being a shoddy release at launch and it took them like two years of work on it before people were happy with it.
Old 02-23-21, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
That's a really bad example since the Master Chief Collection is widely regarded as being a shoddy release at launch and it took them like two years of work on it before people were happy with it.
Actually that is irrelevant. It's wasn't priced that way because it was a "shoddy release at launch". It was priced that way because every remastered game, except those Nintendo exclusives, are priced either at a discount or bundled with other games. No one besides Nintendo releases previous-gen single-game remasters (as opposed to remakes) at full price.
Jay G. (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's also because Nintendo doesn't discount games much if at all. There's no way you could bundle old games together and sell it at a premium if the stand alone versions are either dirt cheap or were available for dirt cheap/free.

It's a controversial decision to be sure, but it also works. Most of the games I buy day one now are Nintendo because I know they're not generally going to drop to half price in a month.

And again, for that same reason, if Nintendo did have discounts like the other systems, nobody would care that they launch at full price because people would pick them up at other pricepoints. The reasons for all the complaining is because you know a year from now Skyward Sword will still be 60 bucks (maybe 50 if you catch a sale)
Old 02-23-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually that is irrelevant. It's wasn't priced that way because it was a "shoddy release at launch". It was priced that way because every remastered game, except those Nintendo exclusives, are priced either at a discount or bundled with other games. No one besides Nintendo releases previous-gen single-game remasters (as opposed to remakes) at full price.
My response was more to his using the "constant updates" as a selling point when the constant updates were because the game was broken.
Old 02-23-21, 02:56 PM

Anyone who argues that Skyward Sword is reasonably or appropriately priced would also have to admit that if instead of Mario 3D All-stars, if Nintendo had released just Super Mario Galaxy by itself and priced at $59.99 that would also be fine and appropriate. There is essentially no difference.
Old 02-23-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I personally think both are over-priced. I bought the 3D All-stars release, and now wish I hadn't. It's not that I don't enjoy the games, but I am miffed at the seemingly lack of "Nintendo polish" that were put into them.

I will also be waiting on Skyward Sword as well. This one hurts too, because I quit playing Skyward Sword because I hated the motion controls, and I've always wanted to revisit it with regular controls. However, I want a better remaster. For example, I wanted something like the Wind Waker HD re-release for Skyward Sword. I can't buy this day one as is.
Old 02-23-21, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone who argues that Skyward Sword is reasonably or appropriately priced would also have to admit that if instead of Mario 3D All-stars, if Nintendo had released just Super Mario Galaxy by itself and priced at $59.99 that would also be fine and appropriate. There is essentially no difference.
What something is reasonably or appropriately priced is different for each individual though. I have zero problem paying $60 for the Skyward Sword remaster. I would have had zero problem paying $60 each for those Mario 3D All-stars games also. If you don't find them to be reasonably priced then speak with your wallet and don't buy them. There are plenty of other ways to play these games.
Old 02-23-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People are still bitching about the pricing for Skyward Sword? Either buy it or don’t. It’s really that simple.

Also I just recently paid $60 for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury. It’s a generation newer, but it’s still technically an old game. Same with multiple other Wii U games.
Old 02-23-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ha! At least they didn't pull the "for a limited time" crap like they did for the FE re-release and all stars...
Old 02-23-21, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86

Also I just recently paid $60 for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury. It’s a generation newer, but it’s still technically an old game. Same with multiple other Wii U games.
And? It's a huge, relatively recent game and has lots of new additional content added. Nobody is complaining about its price. That is fair pricing. Skyward Sword just isn't.
But as long as folks continue to overpay Nintendo to push out ancient games without any additional improvements, they'll keep the recycling going. Why wouldn't they?
tanman (03-02-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.