Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 09-23-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 519 Likes on 397 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

If itís not too much extra money I can see us easily adding the second tier. Thatís some good stuff to have access to.
Old 09-23-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Honest question, though, how much do you play the NES and SNES classics? I do if I remember but it's certainly not something I get a ton of use out of. I realize the N64 library is probably a much rarer experience from an official source, but I have that Genesis collection too and I barely play it, so if it's like 10 bucks a month extra I'm not sure I'm getting $120 of worth out of it. But we'll see.

I mean get the rights to the old N64 wrestling games, though...
Old 09-24-21, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Honest question, though, how much do you play the NES and SNES classics? I do if I remember but it's certainly not something I get a ton of use out of. I realize the N64 library is probably a much rarer experience from an official source, but I have that Genesis collection too and I barely play it, so if it's like 10 bucks a month extra I'm not sure I'm getting $120 of worth out of it. But we'll see.

I mean get the rights to the old N64 wrestling games, though...
Yeah, man, those wrestling games are classic. WCW vs. NWO or whatever they were called. I remember either having the ability to build a character from scratch or at least adjust their moves and it was fantastic, as was getting out of the ring and pulling out all sorts of weapons from the crowd. And I think it was four-player, cause I'm pretty sure I remember playing with my bro and a couple friends...Just great games...

I do still play the SNES Classic. Mainly Zelda (which I've never beat and never really got a chance to play cause I had a Sega, not an SNES when I was a kid), Metroid, and probably Turtles in Time, Double Dragon, and Chrono Trigger (which I've found difficult). I also tried Final Fantasy III, as most of my friends when I was younger had it and raved about it. I, too, find that game rather difficult. Oh, and Donkey Kong Country I, II, and III. I've played those tons of time.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

I play the NES and SNES titles a bunch personally. I really wonder what will be put up for N64 games aside from the first party heavy hitters.

The N64ís library isnít that great really, and a lot of the games people have fond memories of are licenses that Nintendo may not be able to attain easily.

I wonder if their relationship with Microsoft is going to allow for Goldeneye. That would be a big one for them to be able to put up.

Old 09-24-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We've talked about it before, but one of the main problems with the N64 library is that those early 3d titles just look ugly now. I'm not sure if you've played the original Goldeneye recently but I did a few years ago and it was almost unplayable (still a great game, but man the graphics are so muddy).

The direct revealed the games that will be out at launch and the ones that they for sure have planned for later:

N64 at launch:
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Sin and Punishment (the one N64 game I bought on Virtual console, which of course doesn't work on the switch)
Dr. Mario 64 (US only)
WinBack (I was surprised at this one)
Mario Tennis
Yoshi's Story
Custom Robo (Japan only but if it's like the Famicom and Super Famicom, easy enough to download)
Custom Robo V2 (Japan only)

Upcoming:
Banjo Kazooie
Pokemon Snap
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Paper Mario (yay!)
F-Zero X (double yay!)
Mario Gold

Genesis at launch (* for those not already on the switch):
Sonic 2
Streets of Rage 2
Ecco the Dolphin (* in the mini, but not the switch genesis collection)
Contra: Hard Corps (in the mini and contra collection)
Castlevania Bloodlines (in the mini and castlevania collection)
Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
M.U.S.H.A. (* yay!)
Phantasy Star IV (that's like a hundred dollar game)
Ristar
Shining Force
Shinobi III
Strider (* in the mini but not the switch genesis collection)

So really, the only Genesis games not on the switch or the Genesis mini is (I think) M.U.S.H.A. However, if they do more of that (and lots of Japanese-only or exclusive games) I'll probably bite.
John Pannozzi (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The classic portals are what I use the most on my Switch Lite , to be honest. Thereís a Japanese puzzle game on the SNES one that is really fun.
Old 09-24-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 317 Likes on 229 Posts

I picked up Actraiser as soon as I saw it. Loved that game as a kid. I would have picked up the Castlevania collection as well but I'm currently playing through Chasm which is hitting that itch.
Michael Corvin (09-25-21)
Old 09-24-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

That list of N64 games is what I was getting at though. Itís going to probably be a large chunk of first party stuff, which looks like theyíre dumping the first couple rounds.

I wonder realistically what third party games theyíll put on there. Maybe Cruisín USA and Cruisiín World.

The great wrestling games arenít happening. I doubt the Tony Hawk games, and plus theyíve been remade anyways. I doubt any of the Star Wars games will make it on there.

The Rare titles like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conkerís Bad Fur Day (if Nintendo would allow it by todayís standards) would be good if Nintendo can work out getting them.
Old 09-24-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm super-excited for like Banjo-Kazooie, and hopefully Donkey Kong 64. But the issue remains, as has been mentioned numerous times: many of the best classics of the N64 either haven't aged very well or remain tied up in rights issues. I wish I could say otherwise but that's not the case. Some less heralded gems I'd like to see would be like 1080 Snowboarding and...well, I can't think of what else but those wrestling games would be perfect...that'll never happen, but oh well...
Old 09-24-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
The classic portals are what I use the most on my Switch Lite , to be honest. Thereís a Japanese puzzle game on the SNES one that is really fun.
The Mario Super Picross game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario%27s_Super_Picross

I beat all the Mario levels, have only gotten a little bit into the Wario levels.

There was apparently a whole series released on Japan's "Nintendo Power" download service:
https://www.mariowiki.com/Picross_NP

I'd also be interested in Game Boy/Color/Advance games. I'm surprised they went with Genesis over more from their own platforms.

Maybe the service should start cycling titles, similar to Game Pass. I know they've added titles over time, but they haven't removed anything yet. Maybe keep the Nintendo-owned titles permanent, but cycle in-out third-party titles. Hell, you could probably cycle in/out whole consoles, like Turbographix, Jaguar, Saturn, etc.
Old 09-24-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I canít figure out Picross games. I have no idea what itís called, itís themed with fairy girls and itís a drop and match type game.
Old 09-24-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I canít figure out Picross games. I have no idea what itís called, itís themed with fairy girls and itís a drop and match type game.
Super Puyo Puyo 2 ?
https://www.nintendolife.com/games/s...er_puyo_puyo_2
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/5...-puyo-2/images
Old 09-24-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That looks right. Despite how it looks itís a lot of fun.
Old 09-24-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Puyo Puyo is an ongoing series of games. Puyo Puyo Champions is on sale for $2.99 on Switch right now:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...mpions-switch/

There's also two "Puyo Puyo Tetris" titles, and even the Sega versions of the first two games:
https://www.nintendo.com/search/#cat...uery=puyo+puyo
Old 09-26-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

So excited about Sin & Punishment (N64).

Love that game.
Old 09-28-21, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 230 Posts

Kinda conflicted on the Nintendo expansion pass:

Yeah N64 games coming!
Wait it's an extra monthly charge? WTF Nintendo?
Well with the extra fee maybe they can get third party games like the already mentioned Banjo Kazooie. Perfect Dark anyone?
We get hardware too! A N64 controller! Nice!
Wait a minute, is this thing going to have the same terrible durability of the old N64 controller?
$50 for a Sega Genesis controller? Huh...might be worth it just to have an official Nintendo Sega Genesis Controller

Honestly I'd rather have a N64 classic. I'm not fond of paying a monthly fee just to have a limited number of N64 and Genesis games (which BTW almost all of them are available with the Sega Genesis classics collection). I HATE subscription fees especially for something like this. Just charge me one time. Also since these are server based they'll eventually go away and probably sometime in the not so distant future. Whereas the classics consoles are all self contained and pretty future proof.
Goonies85 (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot what game it was but I thought a real sleeper announcement was that there was a game that was coming out that was going to be cloud based. That's kind of big news isn't it? Did they previously announce that cloud based games were coming on the Switch? Might be really ideal for third party AAA titles that couldn't really run natively on the switch.
Old 09-28-21, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I forgot what game it was but I thought a real sleeper announcement was that there was a game that was coming out that was going to be cloud based. That's kind of big news isn't it? Did they previously announce that cloud based games were coming on the Switch? Might be really ideal for third party AAA titles that couldn't really run natively on the switch.
they already have Cloud games. I haven't played any, but i think its for the games you describe - big 3rd party games, maybe AC?
Old 09-28-21, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Honestly I'd rather have a N64 classic.
The N64 Classic is not likely to happen. The hardware they used for the NES/SNES Classic isn't powerful enough to emulate N64 well, so they'd need to use something more powerful, i.e. more expensive. So it'd likely have to be priced at something like $100, like the PS Classic was, and the PS Classic didn't sell well.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oncept_so_soon
https://hothardware.com/news/sony-pl...d-16gb-storage

It could be argued that the PS Classic had a number of problems, like a lack of some notable titles and use of some PAL versions of games, and one would expect Nintendo to do a lot better with an N64 Classic. However, I'm not sure how much the technical issues of the PS Classic affected its sales. Like, how many average consumers would even be aware of the PS Classic before seeing a box in stores? The higher pricing may have taken it outside the "impulse buy" market.

And the issue of titles would affect the N64 as well, although it was more pronounced on the PS Classic, since Sony didn't own most of the "classic" games for that console. But would Nintendo be able to put enough titles on an N64 Classic to make it seem a worthwhile purchase for $100+ ?

There's also maybe a question of the level of nostalgia for the later generations, and popularity. NES and SNES were incredibly popular consoles, the N64 less so. And the 3D type of gaming the N64 and PS1 introduced is still the primary form of gaming today. Not to mention that Nintendo and others seem more likely to still be remastering and re-releasing those era titles. Nintendo re-released several N64 titles for the 3DS. Square-Enix just released a long-in-the-works FFVII remaster.

Not to mention that the NES Classic was designed and released primarily as a stop-gap measure for the 2016 holiday season, as the Switch had been delayed. Making the SNES classic was putting the same board in a new case, so had minimal design and manufacturing start-up costs, but since the Switch is now out, it makes sense for Nintendo to focus on that instead of additional mini consoles.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...witch-1167948/
Weíve said that the current systems are the extent of our classic program... The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online, and we just released three new games (Ninja Gaiden, Warioís Woods and Adventures of Lolo) from the NES generation onto that platform. We look at that as the main way that consumers will be able to experience that legacy content.
So while the nostalgic gamer in me would like a N64 Classic to sit next to my NES and SNES Classic, I can see why Nintendo has no plans to release one.
Old 09-28-21, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redbill View Post
they already have Cloud games. I haven't played any, but i think its for the games you describe - big 3rd party games, maybe AC?
There's 4 Cloud Games on the Switch at the moment:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Control
  • Hitman 3
https://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-s...h_Cloud_Gaming
Old 09-28-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The N64 Classic is not likely to happen. The hardware they used for the NES/SNES Classic isn't powerful enough to emulate N64 well, so they'd need to use something more powerful, i.e. more expensive. So it'd likely have to be priced at something like $100, like the PS Classic was, and the PS Classic didn't sell well.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oncept_so_soon
https://hothardware.com/news/sony-pl...d-16gb-storage

It could be argued that the PS Classic had a number of problems, like a lack of some notable titles and use of some PAL versions of games, and one would expect Nintendo to do a lot better with an N64 Classic. However, I'm not sure how much the technical issues of the PS Classic affected its sales. Like, how many average consumers would even be aware of the PS Classic before seeing a box in stores? The higher pricing may have taken it outside the "impulse buy" market.

And the issue of titles would affect the N64 as well, although it was more pronounced on the PS Classic, since Sony didn't own most of the "classic" games for that console. But would Nintendo be able to put enough titles on an N64 Classic to make it seem a worthwhile purchase for $100+ ?

There's also maybe a question of the level of nostalgia for the later generations, and popularity. NES and SNES were incredibly popular consoles, the N64 less so. And the 3D type of gaming the N64 and PS1 introduced is still the primary form of gaming today. Not to mention that Nintendo and others seem more likely to still be remastering and re-releasing those era titles. Nintendo re-released several N64 titles for the 3DS. Square-Enix just released a long-in-the-works FFVII remaster.

Not to mention that the NES Classic was designed and released primarily as a stop-gap measure for the 2016 holiday season, as the Switch had been delayed. Making the SNES classic was putting the same board in a new case, so had minimal design and manufacturing start-up costs, but since the Switch is now out, it makes sense for Nintendo to focus on that instead of additional mini consoles.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...witch-1167948/

So while the nostalgic gamer in me would like a N64 Classic to sit next to my NES and SNES Classic, I can see why Nintendo has no plans to release one.
Oh yeah I agree and was aware of a lot of the problems with making a N64 classic happen. That's not even mentioning the problem with the controller. They would be significantly more expensive then either the NES or SNES controllers to produce and a large part of the appeal of the N64 is couch co-op. It was more of a wish. Honestly this is probably the best way to do it so there is still some money going towards emulation and licensing so it makes the big 3rd party games possible since there is more incentive. I just hate subscription and server based pricing structures. Especially for classic games. It's not a good way to preserve the games so to speak. It would be nice if it was a one time fee. That would be day one purchase for me but as it stands I'll see how much they're asking.

Somewhat OT rant but I hate subscription based pricing in general. If it's some of the bigger companies where you get a large chunk of value for a subscription fee that's fine. But I recently needed an app just to do something as simple as filling out a pdf and emailing it. All the apps I looked at had subscription based pricing. Really? For a pdf? I would have paid a dollar or two for such a simple thing but they have to get greedy.
Old 09-28-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
There's 4 Cloud Games on the Switch at the moment:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Control
  • Hitman 3
https://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-s...h_Cloud_Gaming
That's interesting. I had no idea that was already a thing. Seems like something they would lean in to. I know first party games are their bread and butter but they cultivate it and advertise that the Switch can do whatever a google stadia can do seems like it would be a great feature.
Old 09-29-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's my old-ness showing, but what is the appeal of cloud based game? Are lag times no longer an issue?
Old 09-29-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's my old-ness showing, but what is the appeal of cloud based game? Are lag times no longer an issue?
It's processing power (or at least it should be). The streaming games probably wouldn't run well on the Switch hardware.
Old 09-29-21, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The only appeal is that you can play games too advanced for the Switch to run. Zero appeal to me (or to anyone who owns an Xbox One or PS4).
This review of Control is interesting. They say it works, well enough.
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews..._cloud_version

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.