Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I mean you have to leave room for a "New Nintendo Switch +" so you can't give them everything at once now, can you?
Old 03-03-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,195 Likes on 4,222 Posts

Maybe they'll finally figure a way to easily transfer your digital purchases to the new console....

​​​​​​​ Nah, I'm just kidding around.
Old 03-03-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

If their big selling point of a Switch pro is a better screen I'm going to be very disappointed. All I care about is it having more power.
Old 03-03-21, 09:06 PM

Old 03-03-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
If their big selling point of a Switch pro is a better screen I'm going to be very disappointed. All I care about is it having more power.
There have been murmurs about more power too. Dev kits are reportedly in circulation, and I wouldn’t think that’d be necessary if it were just swapping out the screen.

Might not be anything too crazy, though. Imran Khan said:
Expect this thing to be primarily for FPS boosts and resolutions, not a Switch 2.

Think more Pro than Super
Old 03-04-21, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The problem with that is always do you then split the market and divide games that require the Switch Pro? How many games were released that took advantage of the 3DS+? Or if it's universally applied that means there will just be very slight upgrades in terms of frame rate and such.
Old 03-04-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit
OLED! Yes! 720p....what??
It's always one step forward one step back with Nintendo. I'm not sure what would be a better compromise. An OLED but at 720p or an LCD screen but at 1080p. Honestly I'm pretty satisfied with the screen currently. I think it's already a nice size and a good balance between size of the screen and portability.
Old 03-04-21, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
The problem with that is always do you then split the market and divide games that require the Switch Pro? How many games were released that took advantage of the 3DS+? Or if it's universally applied that means there will just be very slight upgrades in terms of frame rate and such.
Both Sony and Microsoft put out a 4.5/3.5 Gen console a few years ago and didn't split the market at all.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Both Sony and Microsoft put out a 4.5/3.5 Gen console a few years ago and didn't split the market at all.
Exactly, they went the other route I eluded to and all the games were compatible with both versions with slight graphical improvements (mainly 4K) being the only difference between the two (outside of the media playing capabilities of the improved consoles). While that strategy worked to some degree for the PS and Xbox, Nintendo hasn't gone for cutting edge graphics since the Gamecube. But I guess they may be changing their strategy as it seems that that's what they're doing with the Switch+ is putting improved processing power on pushing 4K resolution. It'll be interesting to see what else they improve because it doesn't seem like that alone would be enough to entice people to upgrade. I just want them to fix the damn drift issue.
Old 03-04-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 673 Posts

OLED! Yes! 720p....what??
Lol...yeah. In reality, 720 is perfectly fine for a 7" screen but we've gotten too spoiled by super dense/high refresh rates on phones.
Old 03-04-21, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they'll finally figure a way to easily transfer your digital purchases to the new console....

​​​​​​​ Nah, I'm just kidding around.
You can pretty easily transfer your digital purchases from switch to switch though (there are some exceptions like animal crossing where you have to jump through hoops).

Technically a lot of switch games have basically two modes they run in, portable and docked, so I wonder if the change isn't simpler, allowing docked mode power in portable mode, and maybe if developers want a souped up mode for docked. In that sense, keeping it 720p to keep costs down (not only the screen but heat and battery) while allowing 4k docked makes some sense.

The big thing to me is battery, honestly. I think I'm ok with 720p if battery life isn't like an hour or something and the thing doesn't burn my hands off. Oh, and they actually fix the damned joycons.

So the regular switch has a 6.2 inch screen (5.5 for the Lite) and this is 7 inches. Screen is lighter and consumes less power. Sounds good to me (if true). My daughter complains that she should have waited and I reminded her just how much mileage she's already gotten out of her switch since Xmas.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-04-21 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking for a recommendation: noticed that some games (Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey) are on decent sales this week. Was seeing which one might be better for a 5 and 8 year old. Mainly the 5 year old. I did see Luigi's Mansion has mini games, so I am leaning towards that since she really like Mario Party.
Old 03-11-21, 12:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My kids are 7, and Luigi’s Mansion was a little too story based for them, and the controls are a bit more complex.
Old 03-11-21, 01:22 PM

Yeah, Luigi Mansion 3 is pretty story based and has a fair amount of text to read.

I think Odyssey is pretty simple to control and forgiving.
Old 03-11-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My kids are 7, and Luigi’s Mansion was a little too story based for them, and the controls are a bit more complex.
My son is around the same age and I don't remember if I put it on easy mode but he was ok with the controls (needed some help with bosses but powered through mostly on his own).

That said, I would recommend Odyssey. There is basically an easy mode where you regenerate health by standing still, and even a co-op mode (kinda) where you can play as Mario and your kid can be the hat, if you want to help them. It's actually the game that kind of triggered both of my kids into playing platformers by themselves because I didn't have time to help them out.
Old 03-11-21, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 03-11-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Nah, I'm just kidding around.
Or at least have a true family sharing function. We have three Switch units in the household, and you have to do that absurd process of logging out of one system and into another to share games.
Old 03-14-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

My girlfriend bought a Switch Lite. I kind of like the more compact and obviously lighter feel of it. It’s nice for playing in handheld mode. Also appreciate that it has a true D-pad instead of the directional buttons.
Old 03-15-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
My girlfriend bought a Switch Lite. I kind of like the more compact and obviously lighter feel of it. It’s nice for playing in handheld mode. Also appreciate that it has a true D-pad instead of the directional buttons.
Yeah, it boggles my mind how they haven't made a dpad version of the left joycon(I realize Hori has one). Actually, thinking about it the need to have each joycon function as an independent controller kind of hampered the design of the controller itself.

On a side note, wanting a more full featured version of the Hori Split Pad Pro, I bought the Binbok "joycons", which are basically the Split Pad Pros that can be used wirelessly. It's not licensed by Nintendo and build quality is apparently up in the air but mine seems to work fine (we'll see how it holds up)
John Pannozzi (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redstang93
Looking for a recommendation: noticed that some games (Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey) are on decent sales this week. Was seeing which one might be better for a 5 and 8 year old. Mainly the 5 year old. I did see Luigi's Mansion has mini games, so I am leaning towards that since she really like Mario Party.
If you're going to play it with them then I highly suggest Luigi's Mansion 3. About an hour into the game you unlock co-op mode and it's really fun playing with your kid. They don't have to be too coordinated to have fun with it and there aren't a lot of consequences if they die.
Old 03-16-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
If you're going to play it with them then I highly suggest Luigi's Mansion 3. About an hour into the game you unlock co-op mode and it's really fun playing with your kid. They don't have to be too coordinated to have fun with it and there aren't a lot of consequences if they die.
also don't know if its part of the sale, but Yoshii's Crafted World is good for younger kids
tanman (03-17-21)
Old 03-16-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yoshi's Crafted World is my favorite game on the Switch. Highly recommended.
Old 03-16-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, it boggles my mind how they haven't made a dpad version of the left joycon(I realize Hori has one). Actually, thinking about it the need to have each joycon function as an independent controller kind of hampered the design of the controller itself.

On a side note, wanting a more full featured version of the Hori Split Pad Pro, I bought the Binbok "joycons", which are basically the Split Pad Pros that can be used wirelessly. It's not licensed by Nintendo and build quality is apparently up in the air but mine seems to work fine (we'll see how it holds up)
It is odd that Nintendo hasn’t made a left Joy Con with a true D-pad. Especially since they sell the right and left ones individually. Seems like it would be an easy sell to a lot of people.
Old 03-17-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I've been enjoying Foregone on the Switch a lot lately.

It sorta looks like Dead Cells in the sprites, but it's pretty different. Besides the backgrounds/levels looking different, it's more of a linear platformer. Looks/plays like a Metroid-vania, but again, it doesn't have you backtracking nearly as much (or at all) as a Metroid-vania does.
It controls really well, and is just fun for quick bursts of pickup & play.

Old 03-23-21, 10:25 AM

This is expensive for a third party controller but looks really nice.
​​​​​​

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.