Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 08-22-14, 07:56 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I too preordered the Foos on Amazon. Don't really care about the varying covers.

Their associated HBO show looks pretty awesome as well.
Old 08-22-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How is Amazon for shipping LPs? Hopefully better care than DVD tv box sets.
Old 08-22-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How is Amazon for shipping LPs? Hopefully better care than DVD tv box sets.
It's great and they're shipped in tall frustration-free boxes. They have a perforated strip and you're done. Never had an issue.
Old 08-22-14, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's great and they're shipped in tall frustration-free boxes. They have a perforated strip and you're done. Never had an issue.
Seconded. I order a lot of LPs from Amazon, and I have never had a problem.
Old 08-22-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I buy most new records from Amazon, 2 day free shipping with Prime is hard to beat and we are in an area where they will deliver on Sunday as well. Never had a problem
Old 08-22-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to mention, more often than not, they come with Auto-Rip meaning you can sometimes get a digital version of the LP for your Amazon Music Player.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-22-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to mention, more of then than not, they come with Auto-Rip meaning you can sometimes get a digital version of the LP for your Amazon Music Player.
True, the Amazon Music Player is getting much better ... if they had newer music, I would cancel Spotify.
Old 08-22-14, 03:54 PM

Regarding The Beatles Mono Box Set...

Amoeba.com has this up for a preorder and a monthly 15% off promotion running. List for $380 with the 15% off it comes to $323 (free shipping).

15% off code is "aug1514"
Old 08-22-14, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now the question is do I ask for the Beatles mono box for the holidays or an Xbox One? Hmmmmm
Old 08-22-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beatles.

Sounds like Mondo is releasing 2001 A Space Odyssy: The Lost Score on vinyl and Iron Giant ST on vinyl for MondoCon
Old 08-22-14, 07:05 PM

I feel a little badly that the Beatles set I ordered could be an XBOX One...

On the upside, I can probably get about 100$ by selling the Mono CD set.

I pretty much had to buy the Beatles set after I watched this:

Pete Nash from The Beatles Fan Club Magazine Unboxing--http://youtu.be/TWt3xzaAdl4

This was meant for vinyl, not CD.
Old 08-22-14, 07:51 PM

Soundstagedirect is releasing The Spin Doctors, Pocketful of Kryptonite, on kryptonite green vinyl. It sounds like an exclusive release. The owner of soundstagedirect is friends with the frontman from the Spin Doctors. I liked this album when it came out. I'm undecided on buying it now. It would be more for nostalgia that anything. I'd probably listen to it once or twice and that would be it.

I can't copy and paste from the page. First ever domestic release on vinyl.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/spin...-records.shtml
Old 08-22-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That Spin Doctors record has been getting a lot of flack in certain places on the web. The way I look at it, if they can sell a new copy on vinyl in 2014, then that's damn cool. I remember it being overplayed, but who cares. In 1993 when released I didn't know anyone but DJs buying vinyl. The fact there's a market for it 21 years later amazes me every time something gets rereleased.
Old 08-22-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
That Spin Doctors record has been getting a lot of flack in certain places on the web. The way I look at it, if they can sell a new copy on vinyl in 2014, then that's damn cool. I remember it being overplayed, but who cares. In 1993 when released I didn't know anyone but DJs buying vinyl. The fact there's a market for it 21 years later amazes me every time something gets rereleased.
Actually, Pocketful Of Kryptonite was originally released in 1991. It took two years for it to break, but when it did, it did.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that it's getting a vinyl re-issue, too. I wish more albums would. The price on it is right, too. Might just have to pick up a copy.
Old 08-23-14, 10:33 AM

I remember the album fondly. Played the CD over and over when it came out. These rereleases continue to amaze me as well. Pure nostalgia for me with this one.
Old 08-23-14, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wmermine
Regarding The Beatles Mono Box Set...

Amoeba.com has this up for a preorder and a monthly 15% off promotion running. List for $380 with the 15% off it comes to $323 (free shipping).

15% off code is "aug1514"
Looks like they took down the box set. Individual albums available though.
Old 08-23-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was able to secure another copy of the ultra rare Dying To Say This To You from The Sounds via Discogs. That is a nice site to buy some hard to find shit at reasonable prices. I made an offer and saved $50 on the deal.
Old 08-23-14, 05:45 PM

Discogs is great. I've been using it to slowly complete my Taste/Rory Gallagher collection. Rare pressings, solid prices.
Old 08-23-14, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Looks like they took down the box set. Individual albums available though.
Hmm... I hope they don't cancel my order on the box set!
Old 08-23-14, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I'm not putting the album down. I could probably put it on and sing along to most of the songs, even though I haven't heard it in years. I still get What Time Is It? stuck in my head occasionally. I just don't see it getting a lot of play if I do buy it.
Old 08-23-14, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Actually, Pocketful Of Kryptonite was originally released in 1991. It took two years for it to break, but when it did, it did.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that it's getting a vinyl re-issue, too. I wish more albums would. The price on it is right, too. Might just have to pick up a copy.
It seems like a lot of albums are finally getting a release and hard to find albums are getting a new pressing. There is a large gap in 90s music that can't be found. Many albumsthat were going for hundreds of dollars have been released over the last couple of years. I've seen Cake's Fashion Nugget and Counting Crows debut both selling on ebay for $300 plus.

Hopefully record companies can see the gap and start getting more releases out. I've also seen albums get rereleased and quickly go back out of print. Tom Petty's Wildflowers and Failure's Fantastic Planet are a couple of examples. I would love to have Wildflowers.
Old 08-23-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, hit up my sig and friend me on Discogs. I think I'm only friends with Supermallet, so I'm a bit lonely there.
Old 08-24-14, 11:03 AM

I haven't been on there in a while, but I sent you a friend request. I'm way behind on adding albums. I actually have an app that links to discogs so I can browse my collection. It looks like they have a mobile page now though.
Old 08-24-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I haven't been on there in a while, but I sent you a friend request. I'm way behind on adding albums. I actually have an app that links to discogs so I can browse my collection. It looks like they have a mobile page now though.

Didn't get your request. What's the app you use to sync? Is it Milk Crate?
Old 08-24-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
It seems like a lot of albums are finally getting a release and hard to find albums are getting a new pressing. There is a large gap in 90s music that can't be found. Many albumsthat were going for hundreds of dollars have been released over the last couple of years. I've seen Cake's Fashion Nugget and Counting Crows debut both selling on ebay for $300 plus.

Hopefully record companies can see the gap and start getting more releases out. I've also seen albums get rereleased and quickly go back out of print. Tom Petty's Wildflowers and Failure's Fantastic Planet are a couple of examples. I would love to have Wildflowers.
Shit, I'd love to get Failure's Fantastic Planet.

Completely agree on the rest. Thankfully, I've been able to get a lot of 90's albums I've wanted in the past couple of years, now that they are finally getting vinyl reissues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.