Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 10:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Not as good as the Amoeba 15% off, but SoundStageDirect, MusicDirect and BullMoose all have the Beatles mono box set for $337 pre-ordered.

Last edited by Geofferson; 08-25-14 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's great and they're shipped in tall frustration-free boxes. They have a perforated strip and you're done. Never had an issue.
I never had a problem with Amazon either but I don't like ordering vinyl much anymore. My mailman put one order between my glass storm door and my front door which gets like 200 degrees and they warped bad. USPS also leaves shit out in the elements. UPS at least puts a plastic bag around it.

Soundstage Direct has the best packaging. They use a box like Amazon's INSIDE another larger box.
Old 08-25-14, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of 90s represses, I just got this and Master of Puppets in.
Old 08-26-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Not as good as the Amoeba 15% off, but SoundStageDirect, MusicDirect and BullMoose all have the Beatles mono box set for $337 pre-ordered.
SoundStageDirect just emailed out a Labor Day coupon (exp. 9/2) Code is LP10. Not sure if it's good on preorders, though.
Old 08-26-14, 07:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
SoundStageDirect just emailed out a Labor Day coupon (exp. 9/2) Code is LP10. Not sure if it's good on preorders, though.
Thanks for the code. It won't work on the box set though -- the listing on the site says: "This title is not eligible for further discount."

That said, I may use it to look for a new tube preamp I've been meaning to get.
Old 08-26-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Sorry it didn't work on the box set, but glad to see it may benefit ya in some other way.
Old 08-27-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your best bet (most of the time) for ordering records through the mail is to have them delivered to where you work; that way they won't be left out in the elements and will likely be taken care of. You can't have records sitting on your porch.
Old 08-27-14, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Your best bet (most of the time) for ordering records through the mail is to have them delivered to where you work; that way they won't be left out in the elements and will likely be taken care of. You can't have records sitting on your porch.
While I agree with you, I wonder if we are a little over sensitive about this. After all, to get to you, a record sits in any number of places of varying and extreme temperatures: warehouses, trucks, planes, etc.
Old 08-27-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have ordered a ton of records shipped to my house in the summer (in Texas) everything from 2-Day Amazon, Media Mail, to slow boat from Europe and have yet to get a damaged record.
Old 08-28-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How long has it sat there? I'll show you a severely warped record - it's only happened when the mailman inexplicably put what is obviously a vinyl record in my storm door which basically is like an oven. I also think these new 180g records are much less likely to warp than the thin 70s vinyl.
Old 08-29-14, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Didn't get your request. What's the app you use to sync? Is it Milk Crate?
It says we're friends. I don't think its a request. I believe it automatically adds you. Crate digger is the app I use. It shows your collection and wantlist. It also has a barcode scanner. I haven't used it so I don't know what its for exactly. Maybe adding albums.

Edit. Just tried it. It gives album info and the option to add the album to your collection or wantlist.
Old 08-29-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Waxwork records put up the Friday the 13th score for pre-order. There are 4 versions, all 180 g vinyl. $27.00
The 4 versions are:
-"Blood filled" clear vinyl (limited to 100 units) Sold out!
-Woodland Green with Blood Splatter vinyl Sold out!
-Crystal Lake Murky Green and Blood 2 color split Sold out!
-Crystal Lake Murky Green

http://waxworkrecords.com/product/friday-the-13th/

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 08-29-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, there's only one version left now - murky green.

I really like Waxwork, but they supremely fucked this release up big time. Such a cluster I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. And do they care? Probably not. Meanwhile, eBay scalpers have snatched up all the variants and are already listing them for absurd amounts.
Old 08-29-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by islandclaws

I really like Waxwork, but they supremely fucked this release up big time. Such a cluster I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. And do they care? Probably not. Meanwhile, eBay scalpers have snatched up all the variants and are already listing them for absurd amounts.
I managed to get a Green w/ blood splatter, but I went there the moment they tweeted out that the pre-order was up and it took me about 5 minutes of trying before the thing would go in my cart. I kept getting server time outs and other errors.

I haven't followed this release (The first I heard about it was when Mondo retweeted Waxwork's tweet), but it sounds like there is quite a story behind it.

Edit: It looks like, unless it's a site error, the Green/Red split is also still available.
Old 08-29-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a site error. Trust me and the five fucking times I tried to check out with one.
Old 08-29-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a site error. Trust me and the five fucking times I tried to check out with one.
Well, seeing how many errors I had trying to order the one I got, I believe you.

The site seems buggy as hell.
Old 08-30-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I think it's ridiculous that they had to delay the sale 3 days, I blame it on the lame eBay crowd. I've been collecting horror Vinyl for a few years, and the flippers ruin it for everyone. The same bullshit happened with the Death Waltz release of The Fog.
Old 08-30-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The same bullshit happened with the Death Waltz release of The Fog.
Yeah, I ended up using store credit and scored a gold variant of The Fog from Amoeba. Screw the scalpers.
Old 08-31-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The smartest thing Waxwork can do for future releases is to randomly insert variants. Scalpers will be much less eager to aid in crashing the site when they don't know if they'll get a variant or not.

I mean, some asshole already has the blood-filled F13th score up on eBay for $500. Fuck that guy and his ilk.
Old 08-31-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Listened to a few of this chick's songs and think she rocks. Wow! The vinyl is also $12.69. Sweet deal!

Old 08-31-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you guys do with albums that are a bit too large for the normal plastic sleeves? Are there larger sleeves available on amazon? Can't seem to find them.
Old 09-01-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
What do you guys do with albums that are a bit too large for the normal plastic sleeves? Are there larger sleeves available on amazon? Can't seem to find them.
I have a few of those and they're mainly from Death Waltz and Mondo (Halloween is) And I just store them without a plastic outer sleeve. I have very few of these over sized ones that it's not cost effective to buy over sized outer sleeves yet.
Old 09-02-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The smartest thing Waxwork can do for future releases is to randomly insert variants. Scalpers will be much less eager to aid in crashing the site when they don't know if they'll get a variant or not.

I mean, some asshole already has the blood-filled F13th score up on eBay for $500. Fuck that guy and his ilk.
Arbitrage

Speaking of movie soundtracks, one of the many records I picked up this weekend, was the original soundtrack by Tangerine Dream for William Friedkin's Sorcerer. It was $5. Fuck these overpriced novelty records. Hopefully, someone is still listening to music somewhere.
Old 09-02-14, 10:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Aphex Twin - Sero
22 September 2014

There's a plain-old 3xLP version, but also this... a $400 200-copy limited edition...
Old 09-04-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So anyone getting the Beatles mono set cut from analog that comes out Tuesday? It's getting great write ups.

Don't think I can get the set Tuesday, but will have to grab a couple of them. My local store has a mono system set up just for the occasion. Free cocktails too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.