Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 07-31-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by MBoyd
A friend of mine sent me the Mondo Mr Freeze variant. Worst sounding Mondo record I've heard. Thought it sounded like someone held a mic up to a TV speaker!
That sucks, I just ordered a copy of that off of eBay and paid a decent amount for it. I more or less wanted it for a display item and just to say that I own one of them. I too got the Mr. Freeze variant. I was hoping for the Clayface or Joker one personally but couldn't find either of them at a decent price so decided to snag Mr. Freeze before the prices get even worse.
Old 07-31-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Cake is rereleasing the RSD boxset. It's up for preorder here. I read somewhere that they were unhappy about how RSD went down, with the sets ending up on ebay for ridiculous prices.

I know I've mentioned Self here before when their first album got a rerelease on Fat Possum. They've got a new EP out. It's availabe on 10 inch clear vinyl. Limited pressing of 1000 albums. They've been getting a bit of much deserved attention this week. Their song Runaway is the itunes single of the week.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IwAIwRrs6xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy crap - there's some good shit there. Those sets!
Old 07-31-14, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Holy crap - there's some good shit there. Those sets!
My wife ordered me the boxset with the shirt and the 7 inch set for my birthday. I cant wait to get my hands on them.
Old 07-31-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife ordered me the boxset with the shirt and the 7 inch set for my birthday. I cant wait to get my hands on them.
Quick question, do they charge you immediately or when the items ship?
Old 07-31-14, 06:45 PM

I checked. She hasn't been charged yet so probably when it ships.

Jusr looked at the page. Its saying out of print now.
Old 07-31-14, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Self vinyl!

I have been listening to Self for 20 years. It's interesting that they are getting a little buzz with this new album. I happen to think its really good. I wish it had more tracks.
Old 07-31-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I checked. She hasn't been charged yet so probably when it ships.

Jusr looked at the page. Its saying out of print now.
Wow, so much for that. They must of had an extremely small amount for sale.

Old 07-31-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-ordered the new Primus record:

Old 07-31-14, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That sucks, I just ordered a copy of that off of eBay and paid a decent amount for it. I more or less wanted it for a display item and just to say that I own one of them. I too got the Mr. Freeze variant. I was hoping for the Clayface or Joker one personally but couldn't find either of them at a decent price so decided to snag Mr. Freeze before the prices get even worse.
The Man-Bat one was the clear winner, IMO.
Old 07-31-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The Man-Bat one was the clear winner, IMO.
That one isn't even on eBay but yeah that one is really cool. I've always been a fan of the Man-Bat character personally.
Old 07-31-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Pre-ordered the new Primus record:

That's a great cover
Old 08-01-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cake is rereleasing the RSD boxset. It's up for preorder here. I read somewhere that they were unhappy about how RSD went down, with the sets ending up on ebay for ridiculous prices.
It's pretty annoying when bands "re-release" RSD "exclusives. If you shell out a lot of money for you think will be a somewhat hard to find, collectible items in a collection, it's lame to have the exact same product released for a lower price in a larger quantity later.

I bought that 3LP RSD set a couple years ago of The Last Waltz for $50. Then it just comes out on the regular market a year later for LESS. Lame. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the ridiculous "number" on the back.
Old 08-01-14, 09:05 AM

As someone who lives in an area without a real record store, I have to support the release of formerly RSD exclusive releases to the masses without an RSD outlet. I think they should maybe tell people that the releases are just time delayed, though. Or make the RSD version collectible in some other way (numbered or something).
Old 08-01-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't mind at all if the RSD releases were released later but make the RSD version different and more desirable in some way otherwise I have little incentive to participate.
Old 08-01-14, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other than colored vinyl, I don't see what extra stuff one could really get for an RSD release.
Old 08-01-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Last Waltz, for example, was in an embossed cover with gold lettering. The regular release could have a lesser cover. A non RSD release could have thinner vinyl, different inserts, an extra disk, a poster, different labels. There are a million things they could do. Colored vinyl is the most obvious though.
Old 08-01-14, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wmermine
Thanks for the tip on the Self vinyl!

I have been listening to Self for 20 years. It's interesting that they are getting a little buzz with this new album. I happen to think its really good. I wish it had more tracks.
Did you catch them on Jimmy Kimmel the other night? I think it may have been their television debut. They played the new song followed by Lucid Anne.
Old 08-01-14, 08:40 PM

Did you catch them on Jimmy Kimmel the other night? I think it may have been their television debut. They played the new song followed by Lucid Anne.
I saw it on YouTube. And my wife said they'd been getting play on SiriusXM. I think music has finally caught up to him, honestly. He was way ahead of his time.
Old 08-06-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 928 Likes on 708 Posts

So, one of a vinyl collector's ultimate fantasies came true for me yesterday.

First off, the set up. About a week ago, I was getting my car worked on. I was just wandering around town while waiting, and stopped in a local thrift store that has a halfway decent (for a thrift store) vinyl selection. I picked out about 5-6 records I wanted, but ultimately chose not to buy them since I didn't want to lug them around the rest of the day. I made a mental note of them, and figured if they were still there next time I was in the area, I'd get them.

Yesterday I was indeed in the area, so I popped back in. All the records I wanted were still there, so I grabbed them. Nothing rare or noteworthy, just some 80s stuff by Let's Active, Any Trouble, and Sinead O'Connor's first record. Some guy sees I have a small stack of records picked out, and asks if I want to see a couple of boxes from his truck. Now, at first I'm leery as this kind of thing is hugely frowned upon at second-hand stores (someone selling his stuff to a customer directly). But it turned out he was the owner, and these were records he was eventually going to put out on the racks.

And it wasn't the usual thrift store crap like Yodelin' Andy Yodels the Blues. It was tons of Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, etc. A lot of real gems. Hindsight being 20/20, I really should have taken the time to inspect them more, but I admit I was kind of in a rush so I just grabbed the titles I wanted, all by the Rolling Stones. Still, I think it was pretty impressive haul, to get these Stones albums:

Aftermath (British pressing)
Sticky Fingers (original pressing, with the working zipper on the cover)
Exile on Main St.

And while the guy knew these were better than the usual $2 bin, I still got a hell of a deal on them, just $23 for the trio. The big irony is that had I purchased the titles I first wanted last week, I probably wouldn't have been compelled to go in again yesterday, and thus would have missed the opportunity to get the Stones records. So sometimes, not being an impulsive shopper pays off!
Old 08-07-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have grabbed The Beatles and Zep, but that's a nice find Paff.
Old 08-07-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 928 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I would have grabbed The Beatles and Zep, but that's a nice find Paff.
Yeah, I probably should have dug through those boxes more, 'cause there was definitely a better selection than the normal thrift store haul. Getting those three Stones records was a steal.

But I've always just bought records that I want to listen to, not "collector's items" that I intend to flip. Since I've never been a big Beatles or Zeppelin fan, I guess I'll let someone else who is get them at bargain basement prices.
Old 08-07-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went ahead and bought the Mondo Batman 7"ers today. Mainly because I had a GC leftover from Friday's Stout drop I didn't get.

Not opening. Just keeping for trade bait. Though I'm curious if the joker on black sounds better than my blue Mr. Freeze.

By the way I changed out two tubes on my pre amps phono section. OMG. Huge difference. Rearranged the room too. I'm even more impressed with the sound. The tube swap was just a game changer. I'm listening at low volume and it's just impressive even this way.
Old 08-08-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah, I probably should have dug through those boxes more, 'cause there was definitely a better selection than the normal thrift store haul. Getting those three Stones records was a steal.

But I've always just bought records that I want to listen to, not "collector's items" that I intend to flip. Since I've never been a big Beatles or Zeppelin fan, I guess I'll let someone else who is get them at bargain basement prices.
I'm pretty much the same. If you find a few records that you like at a decent price, it's a win
Old 08-08-14, 09:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I'm listening at low volume and it's just impressive even this way.

I really can't remember where I read/heard it, but I recall someone basically saying, "Any system can sound 'good' at high volume. A system that sounds excellent at LOW volume is a sign of quality."
Old 08-08-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
So, one of a vinyl collector's ultimate fantasies came true for me yesterday.

First off, the set up. About a week ago, I was getting my car worked on. I was just wandering around town while waiting, and stopped in a local thrift store that has a halfway decent (for a thrift store) vinyl selection. I picked out about 5-6 records I wanted, but ultimately chose not to buy them since I didn't want to lug them around the rest of the day. I made a mental note of them, and figured if they were still there next time I was in the area, I'd get them.

Yesterday I was indeed in the area, so I popped back in. All the records I wanted were still there, so I grabbed them. Nothing rare or noteworthy, just some 80s stuff by Let's Active, Any Trouble, and Sinead O'Connor's first record. Some guy sees I have a small stack of records picked out, and asks if I want to see a couple of boxes from his truck. Now, at first I'm leery as this kind of thing is hugely frowned upon at second-hand stores (someone selling his stuff to a customer directly). But it turned out he was the owner, and these were records he was eventually going to put out on the racks.

And it wasn't the usual thrift store crap like Yodelin' Andy Yodels the Blues. It was tons of Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, etc. A lot of real gems. Hindsight being 20/20, I really should have taken the time to inspect them more, but I admit I was kind of in a rush so I just grabbed the titles I wanted, all by the Rolling Stones. Still, I think it was pretty impressive haul, to get these Stones albums:

Aftermath (British pressing)
Sticky Fingers (original pressing, with the working zipper on the cover)
Exile on Main St.

And while the guy knew these were better than the usual $2 bin, I still got a hell of a deal on them, just $23 for the trio. The big irony is that had I purchased the titles I first wanted last week, I probably wouldn't have been compelled to go in again yesterday, and thus would have missed the opportunity to get the Stones records. So sometimes, not being an impulsive shopper pays off!
In that scenario, I'd make an offer on all of them and sort out the good stuff later. Aftermath is worth $23 alone I'd think. Offer $100 and see his reaction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.