Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 03-21-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts
The VINYL Thread!

The other thread was more about the kickstarter campaign that sort of segued into an unofficial vinyl discussion-type thread, so I thought I'd start a brand new dedicated VINYL thread here. Also, I did do a search to see if there was already a dedicated vinyl thread and I didn't find one.

Here are some of my recent vinyl purchases:

Julien-K - Death to Analog
The Sounds - Something To Die For
The Sounds - Crossing The Rubicon
The Misfits - Collection I
The Misfits - Collection II
Black Flag - Slip It In
The Hives - The Black and White Album
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Tom Waits - Blood Money

I have a couple vinyl on pre-order like the new Blade Runner score, David Bowie's latest, and the upcoming "13" album from Black Sabbath.

I'm totally digging the resurgence of vinyl within the last 5 years (if that). When I was a kid in the mid-80's I had about a dozen hard rock-metal vinyls that me and a friend bought from K-Mart, but my friend's uncle had told his mom (and his mom told my mom) that we were listening to satanic music and all of our vinyls got promptly chucked into the garbage can. That and the fact that I was no longer able to listen to anything that had a guitar riff is what got me into rap and hip-hop until about 91-92, when Nirvana and RHCP got big. Nirvana had Nevermind and RHCP had Blood Sugar Sex Magik and I came back to the rock fold. I also discovered Queen and Kiss around the same time and they amplified my rock 'n roll interests. I still dig hip-hop but I'm extremely selective. I like Beastie Boys, Notorious B.I.G., etc.

So what I'm trying to say is that vinyl rules.
Old 03-21-13, 11:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I've also ordered the new Bowie album on vinyl from Amazon.

I've actually cut back on my vinyl purchasing lately, because I've been running out of space to store records.
Old 03-21-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love vinyl. It's all I buy nowadays (although the occasional Amazon MP3 sale might catch my eye)

Have Bowie's The Next Day, Depeche Mode's Delta Machine and Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires Of The City preordered on wax.

Also picked up a few classic rock records the other day at a Peddler's Mall. Zep's Houses Of The Holy, Pink Floyd's Meddle, Rush's Signals, Alice Cooper's Trash and Supertramp's Breakfast In America.

Zep and Floyd are now the two I'm going to try and concentrate on since I have all the Bowie (besides a few late period albums I'm not spending $200 on like Earthling), Beatles and some of my other faves that I need.
Old 03-21-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The one guilty pleasure that I also just bought that I forgot to mention was Dead or Alive's "Youthquake," with You Spin Me 'Round (that's my song!) on there. I have memories of getting my groove on at the house of the family that I used to get babysat in. They owned one of those gigantic console things that had a turntable but was a furniture component of some kind. Some of the lady's kids were older, so they had quite a few vinyls that they would throw in and we'd listen to. I remember the bass levels were outrageous on that thing. Good times.
Old 03-21-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're starting to trickle in.

BTW, I don't think we should spoil for size on this thread, because that would take the fun out of the whole vinyl aesthetic. Presentation is part of it. At least that's how I feel. Mods?

Old 03-21-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here was my first vinyl purchase:

Old 03-21-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I like vinyl but haven't bought a ton recently. My only issues with it is that you obviously can't just take a vinyl record on the go with you and listen to it wherever and I listen to a lot of music either in my car or at the gym or whatever.

I did just receive the latest Vault Package from Third Man Records which included a older Jack White live album called Jack White & The Bricks as well as a Brendan Benson and Jack White single featuring some demos for The Raconteurs. I also received the Pearl Jam 2012 holiday single.

I wouldn't mind picking up the Sound City release on vinyl sometime even though I already have the CD.
Old 03-21-13, 08:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Relevant to this thread's interests: http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...t-of-releases/

Record Store Day has revealed the full list of exclusive releases available for its 2013 edition (April 20th). Already this year promised new or unreleased music, reissues, and other rarities from The White Stripes, The Flaming Lips, The Black Keys, MGMT, Tame Impala, At the Drive-In, Deftones, Ryan Adams, Dan Deacon, The Hold Steady, Built to Spill, and Stephen Malkmus. Here are some of the other notable releases:

The Black Lips will team with Icky Blossoms for a split 7” limited to 1,000 copies. The former covers Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings’ version of “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys” while the latter takes on Siouxsie & the Banshees’ “Arabian Knights”.

Bob Dylan will sample his forthcoming Bootleg Series Volume 10 with a double-sided single featuring a demo version of “Wigwam” from 1970’s Self Portrait b/w “Thirsty Boots”, an unreleased track from that album’s recording sessions.

Brian Eno, Grizzly Bear, and Nicolas Jaar will join forces for a split 10″ featuring remixes of Eno’s “LUX” and Grizzly Bear’s “Sleeping Ute” by Jaar.

Burger Records will release its first ever mixtape, The Taste of Burger Records.

The Cure will reissue 1987′s Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me on 12″ red vinyl.

Daniel Johnston’s album Fun will be available on 12″ vinyl for the first time.

David Bowie will present the first vinyl single off of The Next Day: “The Stars Are Out Tonight” b/w “Where Are We Now?”. In addition, Bowie’s 1973 single “Drive-In Saturday Night” will be issued on 7″ picture disc b/w the Russell Harty Plus Pop Version of the song.

Destroyer will release a limited edition vinyl pressing of 2002′s The Night. It’s available on vinyl in the U.S. for the first time and limited to just 2,000 copies worldwide.

Kill Rock Stars will release Alternate Versions from Either/Or 7, featuring four unreleased outtakes from Elliott Smith’s album Either/Or.

Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson’s collaboration “The Bottle” will be reissued on 7″ green vinyl.

Grizzly Bear will reissue their 2004 debut album, Horn of Plenty, on vinyl from Kanine Records.

GZA will release a vinyl box set of his legendary album Liquid Swords, featuring bonus material and a chess set packaged in a 12 x 12 box.

The Hold Steady will release a 7″ single featuring two unreleased tracks: “Criminal Fingers” and “The Bear & the Maiden Fair”.

Hüsker Dü will unveil a double 7″ of their earliest recordings from a 1980 session at Minneapolis’ Blackberry Way Studio: “Amusement” b/w “Statues” and “Writer’s Cramp” b/w “Let’s Go Die”. Only 4,000 copies will be available.

King Crimson will release a the Going Schizoid With King Crimson: Collectables Set featuring live recordings, a graphic novel, poster, t-shirt, and more.

Moby will team with Mark Lanegan for the release of a new song titled “The Lonely Night”, which will be available on 7″ vinyl.

Mumford and Sons will release a 10″ vinyl featuring songs from an in-store performance at Bull Moose in Scarborough, New Hampshire.

The Notorious B.I.G.‘s debut album Ready to Die will be reissued on limited-edition 12″ white vinyl.

Phoenix will release the title track to their forthcoming Bankrupt! on grey 7” vinyl. The record comes with a 3” cloth patch.

Phosphorescent will reissue their sophomore record, 2005′s Aw Come Aw Wry. The new pressing comes with “tweaked” cover and a download card featuring never-before-released live tracks.

Pulp will release a limited edition 12″ featuring their new single, “After You”, along with a remix of the track by Soulwax and the band’s own “The 4am Desperation Disco to Disco Dub Version”.

Roky Erickson’s single “Mine Mine Mind” (b/w “Bloody Hammer”) will be reissued on psychedelic swirl vinyl. It’s limited to just 4,000 one pressings and features the single remastered from its original tapes.

Rhye’s single “Open” will be available on vinyl for the first time, backed by a previously unreleased live version.

Rocket From the Crypt will reissue Live From Camp X-Ray and Group Sounds on 12″ vinyl.

The Rolling Stones’ Five by Five EP will be available on 7″ vinyl for the first time since 1964.

Soundgarden will release a 10” featuring demos from their King Animal reunion album.

South Park fans will have a chance to grab the Kanye-mocking “Gay Fish” and the Jason Russell-mocking “Jacking-it in San Diego”. The 7” picture disc is limited to 2,000 pressings.

Sub Pop Records will release a new compilation, Sub Pop 1000, featuring new or unreleased material from Peaking Lights, Iron Lung, Ed Schrader’s Music Beat, and more.

Superchunk will release a 7″ containing two brand new tracks: “Void” b/w “Faith”. Only 1,000 hand-numbered copies will be available.

The Thermals will release a 7” EP containing demos from their latest record, Desperate Ground. Only 1,000 copies will be available.

Thurston Moore will release a 12″ featuring a pair of collaborative performances with Loren Connors.

Titus Andronicus will deliver a three-track 12” containing Local Business’ “Still Life with Hot Deuce and Silver Platter” plus a pair of unreleased tracks: “(I’ve Got a) Date Tonight” and “The Dog”. Limited to 2,500 pressings.

Ty Segall will release a sequel to his 2011 Ty Rex EP, aptly titled Ty Rex 2. It features a pair of T. Rex covers, “Cat Black (Wizard Hat)” and “The Motivator”, on 7″ vinyl.

Van Dyke Parks will unveil an unreleased album titled Super Chief, featuring 12 songs. In addition, he’ll offer a special limited edition 12″ of his upcoming compilation, Song Cycle.

The xx’s Jamie xx will release 4,000 copies of a 12” containing his personal edits of some of the band’s music.
Also for Flaming Lips fans, they'll be releasing Zaireeka as a four-disc set.
Old 03-21-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, there's some good shit there!!!!
Old 03-21-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I don't like about RSD is how expensive everything is. You'd think the records would be cheaper, but no, usually a premium.
Old 03-21-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,409 Likes on 905 Posts

Why do you like vinyl? I haven't bought anything on vinyl since the 1980s. I can listen to music without having to jump up every eighteen minutes. I don't hear static discharge. Scratches on CDs don't make any noise (until they become unplayable).

I still have my collection, but I only listen to records a couple of times a year.
Old 03-21-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone going for the mondo drive lp tomorrow?

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/03/21...-on-sale-info/

Old 03-21-13, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
The only thing I don't like about RSD is how expensive everything is. You'd think the records would be cheaper, but no, usually a premium.
Record Store Day is a nice idea but seems poorly executed in my opinion. The prices aren't that great and stores aren't even guaranteed to have all the titles so you never even know if you'll get what you actually want. It seems more like another thing for scalpers on eBay to make money off of people who are actually fans.
Old 03-22-13, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matt925
Anyone going for the mondo drive lp tomorrow?

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/03/21...-on-sale-info/

Yep, I'll try to get one.
Old 03-22-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why do you like vinyl? I haven't bought anything on vinyl since the 1980s. I can listen to music without having to jump up every eighteen minutes. I don't hear static discharge. Scratches on CDs don't make any noise (until they become unplayable).

I still have my collection, but I only listen to records a couple of times a year.
I think it's a cool thing. I missed out as a child and now am having more fun being engaged with the music than if I were to pop in a CD or listen to tunes on my computer and on the go. I'm now forced to participate.

It's a much more interactive experience, imo. I can play a record, sit back, read the notes or lyrics while sipping on a libation as I am being engaged. It's pretty romantic in a way. IDK how else to describe it.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-22-13 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yep, I'll try to get one.
I'll be trying as well. These probably won't last as long as a Mondo poster release - so best to try and get one early.
Old 03-22-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
I'll be trying as well. These probably won't last as long as a Mondo poster release - so best to try and get one early.
Well the posters usually sell out instantly. By all accounts there will be thousands of these for sale. It will still sell out, but I think it will take a bit of time by their standards, and of course within an hour there will be hundreds on eBay. In a couple weeks I wouldn't be surprised if you can get it below cost. The mondo bubble is bursting, if it hasn't already.
Old 03-22-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt925
Well the posters usually sell out instantly. By all accounts there will be thousands of these for sale. It will still sell out, but I think it will take a bit of time by their standards, and of course within an hour there will be hundreds on eBay. In a couple weeks I wouldn't be surprised if you can get it below cost. The mondo bubble is bursting, if it hasn't already.
oops - yeah I wrote that completely wrong sorry. these will definitely last longer than the poster drops, which normally sell out in a minute or two.

The Poltergeist LP was on sale for a few days before selling out.
Old 03-22-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

I don't believe I have good enough gear or a good enough ear to hear a huge difference but I like the old-school packaging. It's SO much better than it was in the old days too. Thicker paper, better sleeves, thicker vinyl.

New vinyl usually comes with a CD or mp3 codes and old vinyl is cheap.

Last edited by CRM114; 03-22-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
Record Store Day is a nice idea but seems poorly executed in my opinion. The prices aren't that great and stores aren't even guaranteed to have all the titles so you never even know if you'll get what you actually want. It seems more like another thing for scalpers on eBay to make money off of people who are actually fans.
Well, thats the point. You go to your record store and see what they have and buy other shit while you are there. It's not just a day to go buy stuff you'll be selling on eBay, it's a day to support the indie record store and not just by buying the exclusive crap.

BY the way, was it last year?, I traveled around to 3 different stores to find the red vinyl Wilco 10" and never found one. Bought one on eBay for about the same price only to find out Wilco was selling it on their website for months after RSD. The shit should be EXCLUSIVE if it has a RSD designation.
Old 03-22-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the Drive LP is on sale NOW at www.mondotees.com for anyone interested.
Old 03-22-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got mine!
Old 03-22-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And it's sold out. Wow, looks like people bought 2-3 each, because for a moment I had 2 in my cart then decided to cancel one and just get the 1.
Old 03-22-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW!

I ended up buying two, hoping to get a pink variant.
Old 03-22-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update from Mondo

**UPDATE** Wow. We sold out of the entire edition of DRIVE in under 30 minutes. Thank you so much for making our record label such an enormous success. If you missed out on the record, please do not send us angry e-mails. There is still hope.

There will be a exclusive Picture Disc version of this LP on RECORD STORE DAY (Record Stores only, obviously) AND this regular edition will be in record stores sometime later this spring (We will announce the Street Date once it is confirmed)

Thank you, again, from the bottom of our hearts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.