Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,271 Likes on 4,289 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

So it looks like total exoneration for Johnathan Majors, I guess.

Old 06-28-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,248 Posts

I mean he is still evil and trying to kill all the heroes, so there's that ...
Old 06-28-23, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 455 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So it looks like total exoneration for Johnathan Majors
Not even. That Newsweek article was so horribly written, I couldn’t figure out what was going on. I found this Insider article a little more informative:
https://www.insider.com/marvels-jona...ces-2023-6?amp

In short, the case against Majors is still going forward, the ex-gf hasn’t recanted anything, so he’s still in jeopardy.

He filed a cross-criminal complaint against her last week, for starting it that night, and police found enough probable cause, but they haven’t even brought her in for questioning yet or arrested her.

The whole situation is still not a good look for him and far from over.
Old 06-28-23, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
I mean he is still evil and trying to kill all the heroes, so there's that ...
I think that if you rewatch the movie, you'll see that Janet Van Dyne was the true aggressor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Kurt D (06-28-23), TheBang (06-28-23)
Old 06-28-23, 09:32 PM

I think that if you rewatch the movie, you'll see that Janet Van Dyne was the true aggressor.
Den Of Geek gives her a pass. I'll watch it again though.
Old 06-30-23, 06:15 AM

Received 4,636 Likes on 3,138 Posts

Old 06-30-23, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,107 Likes on 803 Posts

The article is behind a paywall. "Toxicity" is a meaningless word without a specific detailing of his actions and context for his behavior. What constitutes "abuse" is entirely in the eye of the beholder; again, for the word to have meaning, it requires a specific detailing of his behavior. And "extreme" is a meaningless adjective.
Old 06-30-23, 08:25 AM

Here's a non-pay walled link to a version of the story.
https://www.ign.com/articles/new-rep...ecade-of-abuse
Old 06-30-23, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rolling Stone spoke to two dozen sources about the actor’s recent domestic assault charge, who claim the actor has a history of abusive behavior throughout previous relationships as well as during his time at Yale.

“No one is surprised that this is coming out,” claimed one source. “It always felt like it was a matter of time because his behavior never changed. He’s kind of a bad dude, and now it’s just catching up with him.”

However, Majors has denied these claims.

“Jonathan Majors vehemently denies Rolling Stone’s false allegations that he physically, verbally, or emotionally abused anyone, let alone any of his past romantic partners,” said his attorney, Dustin A. Pusch. “These allegations are based entirely on hearsay because neither of the romantic partners referenced were willing to engage with Rolling Stone for the article—demonstrating their outright falsity.”

Majors “also denies any allegations of abuse, violence, or intimidation during his time at Yale.”

Over a dozen sources collectively claim Majors abused two of his previous romantic partners.

“It was pervasively known that he was [a good actor] and that he also would terrorize the people that he had dated,” said one source. It’s alleged by nine individual sources that Majors strangled one of these women and was both mentally and emotionally abusive toward her.

His on-set behavior has also come into question throughout. It’s claimed Majors was aggressive at work, with two members of his recent production Magazine Dreams claiming the actor pushed one person on set, and physically intimidated another while screaming at them, leading to a complaint made to the film’s producers.

His lawyer insists it’s all down to Majors’ method acting:

“The allegations that Mr. Majors got physical with or physically intimidated anyone on any movie set are downright false,” added Pusch. “Everyone who has worked with Mr. Majors knows that he employs an immersive method acting style, and while that can be misconstrued as rudeness at times, those who know Mr. Majors and work in the industry have attested to his dedication to his craft as well as his kindness.”

Majors previously spoke of his acting technique to Men’s Health, claiming it was more an immersive approach than traditional method acting.

“I’m not going to be an acting snob here,” he said. "But I will say, when people talk about the Method, they’re talking specifically about Strasberg.” He added that he is willing to do “whatever it takes for me, whatever it takes".

Since then, additional alleged abuse victims have come forward.
I have highlighted the actual specific things Majors is accused of doing during his "decade of being an abuser."

Old 06-30-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

What role of his would this method acting have been for?

Also you highlighting the incidents that are detailed enough for you brushes off things like multiple sources stating he was “both mentally and emotionally abusive towards” the woman he strangled so obviously it wasn’t a limited to those two incidents.

Also also i don’t know the standards you hold people to but i would be embarrassed as fuck if i had been the cause of two physical altercations at work and ashamed of any involved a woman. Having that as your defense is not good.

Heres a cute follow up:

Old 06-30-23, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
What role of his would this method acting have been for?

Also you highlighting the incidents that are detailed enough for you brushes off things like multiple sources stating he was “both mentally and emotionally abusive towards” the woman he strangled so obviously it wasn’t a limited to those two incidents.

Also also i don’t know the standards you hold people to but i would be embarrassed as fuck if i had been the cause of two physical altercations at work and ashamed of any involved a woman. Having that as your defense is not good.

Heres a cute follow up:

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/stat...ocUhSFMlyhgvOQ
My point is that phrases like "decades of abusive behavior" and "he was mentally and emotionally abusive" and "he was toxic" are meaningless because those are all subjective adjectives.

As posted elsewhere, someone saying someone else is tall has no meaning unless you know what they consider tall. What does tall mean from their subjective perspective?

So there are a lot of adjectives being thrown around to describe this man's behavior, but what do any of those sources mean when they say those words? IDK.

But I do know that the things I highlighted are the actual specific actions that he is accused of doing. He screamed at someone, he pushed someone, he strangled someone.

I'm not defending him. I'm just pointing out the things he is actually being accused of doing.

It’s alleged by nine individual sources that Majors . . . was both mentally and emotionally abusive towards [a former girlfriend].
I have no fucking ideas what any of those people think constitutes mentally and emotionally abusive behavior.
Old 06-30-23, 11:52 AM

I personally have an issue with the terminology "physically intimidated another while screaming at them" when discussing a large muscular black man. Intimitation can be pretty subjective and it wouldn't take much to make me feel somewhat intimidated by this guy

The following users liked this post:
Count Dooku (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I have no fucking ideas what any of those people think constitutes mentally and emotionally abusive behavior.
Ok it just read as very dismissive as if because it didn’t go into enough detail for you it didn’t matter that the reporters (presumably, rolling stone has some level of reputation that would be hurt by careless slander) investigated and vetted the claims and people making them. I’m not asking you to go into detail on what they meant by mental and emotional abusive behavior when they haven’t in the article just not totally dismiss that and all but a dozen or so words in the story and have the take away be that you’re dismissing all but those dozen words.

Note - I’m not personally offended or trying to convince you of Majors guilt or innocence just noting how the response came off to me.
Old 06-30-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally have an issue with the terminology "physically intimidated another while screaming at them" when discussing a large muscular black man. Intimitation can be pretty subjective and it wouldn't take much to make me feel somewhat intimidated by this guy
Pussy

(jokes)
Decker (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 455 Likes on 313 Posts

The article is behind a paywall.
FYI, it doesn't appear to be paywalled anymore:
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...le-1234781136/

it didn’t matter that the reporters (presumably, rolling stone has some level of reputation that would be hurt by careless slander) investigated and vetted the claims and people making them.
Well, Rolling Stone did have that problem with the whole false rape story almost a decade ago, and that's in the back of my mind when I see Rolling Stone investigations. However, their processes have presumably improved, and this article seems pretty well-sourced all-around, including following up with Majors's six character witnesses and finding that four of them never agreed to the statements made in their names.

I have highlighted the actual specific things Majors is accused of doing during his "decade of being an abuser."
I mean, there are plenty of concerning, specific things in the article that you didn't highlight. Did you read the whole article? If not, you should, now that it's not paywalled.

For example, he's specifically accused of slapping a Yale classmate in the face, and then acting like it was no big deal. There's another allegation of an altercation with two other students (though those two students didn't respond to request for comment). And other non-specific allegations of confrontations and altercations at Yale. In aggregate, these issues led to several complaints about safety to school officials.

The article also cites past interviews with Majors where he has admitted to a troubled childhood, including fighting in school to the point of suspension, and pulling a knife on classmates once.

Overall, it paints a picture of someone who everyone agrees is obviously very talented, but apparently has difficulties controlling his emotions, which results in him acting in inappropriate ways, that can often escalate into abuse, both emotionally and physically. I know the type. I've seen it before with a friend, who I was messing around with in class, and on a dime, it turned into unrestrained rage in his eyes, as he literally tried to bash my head in with a desk. With someone of Majors's stature, that would be absolutely terrifying.

As for Marvel, I'm not sure how they can move forward with Majors. He's too volatile. So far, they've been quiet. Probably because they don't want to reshoot Loki Season 2. But once that's aired, that should be after his trial starts. Maybe they recast him? Or shoot new scenes at the end of Loki showing a new, different Kang variant?

Last edited by TheBang; 06-30-23 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok it just read as very dismissive as if because it didn’t go into enough detail for you it didn’t matter that the reporters (presumably, rolling stone has some level of reputation that would be hurt by careless slander) investigated and vetted the claims and people making them. I’m not asking you to go into detail on what they meant by mental and emotional abusive behavior when they haven’t in the article just not totally dismiss that and all but a dozen or so words in the story and have the take away be that you’re dismissing all but those dozen words.

Note - I’m not personally offended or trying to convince you of Majors guilt or innocence just noting how the response came off to me.

I guess I should be more careful because the article I quoted was not the real RS article. New posts say the RS article was more detailed about the allegations.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 06-30-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean, there are plenty of concerning, specific things in the article that you didn't highlight. Did you read the whole article? If not, you should, now that it's not paywalled.
The original RS story was paywalled. I quoted the full story that Decker provided a link to. Again, my point is not to argue Majors' guilt or innocence, but to analyze the news article I was presented with.
Old 07-11-23, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 599 Posts

Now Jonah Hill is getting targeted for abuse

https://www.avclub.com/jonah-hill-al...ady-1850626985
Old 07-12-23, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a reminder that no one should question why this 16 year old was present at this Hollywood house party, getting drunk with a bunch of adults, in the first place.
Old 07-12-23, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 599 Posts

The guy is always guilty according to the media and society.
Old 07-12-23, 09:44 AM

Just a reminder that no one should question why this 16 year old was present at this Hollywood house party, getting drunk with a bunch of adults, in the first place.
What are you driving at?
Old 07-12-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The guy is always guilty according to the media and society.
The problem is they usually are. And yet society at large never seems to say "hey guys, do better" before "she was asking for it".

Yes, because that's the FIRST thing that should be discussed
Old 07-12-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
What are you driving at?
Jonah Hill’s ex-girlfriend recently accused him on social media of being a “misogynist narcissist” and “emotionally abusive."
Now another accusation has been made about Hill's behavior with an underage actress at a party, 15 years ago. No reason to think about it any further. Hill should be cancelled.

Old 07-12-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Yes, because that's the FIRST thing that should be discussed

"This is something you ought to consider" and "This is the most important thing you must consider" do not have the same meaning.
ntnon (07-12-23)
Old 07-12-23, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,052 Posts

"This is something you ought to consider" and "This is the most important thing you must consider" do not have the same meaning.
I didn't say "important". I said "first". Can I post the giant ENGLISH picture now?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.