Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 07-12-23, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,160 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Draven
I didn't say "important". I said "first". Can I post the giant ENGLISH picture now?

"This is something that should be discussed first" and "This is the most important thing to discuss" almost always have the same meaning.

"This is something that should be discussed FIRST" and "This is the most important thing to discuss" always have the same meaning.
Old 07-12-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Jonah Hill’s ex-girlfriend recently accused him on social media of being a “misogynist narcissist” and “emotionally abusive."
Now another accusation has been made about Hill's behavior with an underage actress at a party, 15 years ago. No reason to think about it any further. Hill should be cancelled.
I don’t know much about the 15 year old he kissed but I did read some of the texts he sent to his ex with the “emotional abuse” and while they may be a little abrasive, he was literally just setting boundaries for a significant other. He basically said, “these are my expectations in a partner and if you don’t want to be that, we can split”. I didn’t see anything “emotionally abusive”. Of course there may be texts that I didn’t read.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (07-12-23)
Old 07-12-23, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,116 Posts

"This is something that should be discussed first" and "This is the most important thing to discuss" almost always have the same meaning.

"This is something that should be discussed FIRST" and "This is the most important thing to discuss" always have the same meaning.
All I implied was that the first (meaning "first") reaction to a story about Jonah Hill harassing a teenager shouldn't be "why is no one talking about why she was at the party?".

Last edited by Draven; 07-12-23 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don’t know much about the 15 year old he kissed but I did read some of the texts he sent to his ex with the “emotional abuse” and while they may be a little abrasive, he was literally just setting boundaries for a significant other. He basically said, “these are my expectations in a partner and if you don’t want to be that, we can split”. I didn’t see anything “emotionally abusive”. Of course there may be texts that I didn’t read.
I haven’t heard anyone call the texts themselves emotionally abusive but they were out of line. You can’t ask people to do unreasonable things just by slapping the term boundaries on it. Asking someone who you got into a relationship with knowing they’re a surfer and asking them not to surf with men or take any pictures in a normal one piece bathing suit surfing is unreasonable.

Havent heard about the old allegations but i hope they’re false or something that he’s learned from that can be excused. Love Jonah Hill in film and from what little I know about him as a person seemed like an ok guy. Just seems like he’s not in a good headspace for a relationship and has a kinda shitty psychiatrist/ psychologist.
IBJoel (07-13-23)
Old 07-12-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I think we can talk about why she was at the party if the context isn't "why wasn't she smarter than that as a 16 year old" and it's more "why is this normalized in Hollywood and what are we doing to stop it."
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
IBJoel (07-13-23), ntnon (07-12-23)
Old 07-12-23, 12:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

So he was 24 and she was 16, and he kissed her, that's the assault claim? She said she wanted to press charges against him at the time, but her parents didn't know she had gone to the party, so she kept silent.
Old 07-12-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I haven’t heard anyone call the texts themselves emotionally abusive but they were out of line. You can’t ask people to do unreasonable things just by slapping the term boundaries on it. Asking someone who you got into a relationship with knowing they’re a surfer and asking them not to surf with men or take any pictures in a normal one piece bathing suit surfing is unreasonable.
“Out of line”? Maybe. “Unreasonable” probably. “Emotional Abuse”? Not even close. The more people misuse terms of actual abuse, the more the real situations of abuse get mixed in with the garbage.

I’m not saying emotional abuse didn’t happen but based on a few of the texts I saw as “evidence” I don’t see it. To me it sounds like Hill is just kind of a dick in relationships. So are a million other people.
Old 07-12-23, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah i agree there’s nothing emotionally abusive in the texts i’ve seen. Would i tell a friend to leave asap if they showed me those texts from a partner? Definitely. Would also probably tell a friend to leave if they showed me they’d sent the texts. Obviously not a love connection.
Old 07-19-23, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 285 Likes on 210 Posts

Next up, we have Danny Elfman. Taking a page from Louis CK's book if true.
https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...nt-1235590343/
Old 07-19-23, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts

Ugh, that's a bummer. Is that what happens to guys when their hot wives put on a few lbs in menopause?
Old 07-19-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
If someone accused me of that I'd sooner spend every cent I had on legal costs no matter how long it took. People see a nearly million dollar settlement they're gonna think it's true.
Old 07-19-23, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I implied was that the first (meaning "first") reaction to a story about Jonah Hill harassing a teenager shouldn't be "why is no one talking about why she was at the party?".
Actually, the fact that in her account of that night, which she posted to social media, she reveals that her underage friend was in an ongoing sexual relationship with the guy from CSI: Miami, who was about 30 years old, should be much more troubling information than Jonah Hill giving her an unwanted kiss. Maybe people should think about that tidbit. Except no one remembers who the guy from CSI:Miami is in 2023, and Jonah Hill is still a somebody.

Old 07-19-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts

Actually, the fact that in her account of that night, which she posted to social media, she reveals that her underage friend was in an ongoing sexual relationship with the guy from CSI: Miami, who was about 30 years old, should be much more troubling information than Jonah Hill giving her an unwanted kiss. Maybe people should think about that tidbit. Except no one remembers who the guy from CSI:Miami is in 2023, and Jonah Hill is still a somebody.
You might just say she was making a mountain out of a mole...Hill.

Artman (07-19-23)
Old 07-20-23, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, and she’s telling her story. Not her friend’s.
Old 07-20-23, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 474 Likes on 265 Posts

Seeing the photo in the article, I first thought it was of the woman he harrassed

Old 07-20-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 372 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Seeing the photo in the article, I first thought it was of the woman he harrassed
Yeah, I did, too. Sorry, Danny, our bad ...
Old 07-20-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

From the guy who wrote "Little Girls" and "Violent Love"?
Say it ain't so!
Old 07-20-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, and she’s telling her story. Not her friend’s.
Nevertheless, "her story" contained the accusation that her underage friend was the repeated victim of statutory rape. The fact that her 16 year old friend was engaged in an ongoing sexual relationship with the 30 year old host of the party was the only reason she was present to have an encounter with Hill to begin with. 30 year old men don't invite high school girls to their house parties because they want to have a diverse youth element. Those 16 year old girls were allowed in because the expectation was that they were DTF.

Yet, somehow, the only thing anybody seemed to notice or care about was Jonah Hill.

And speaking of what a POS Hill is, did anyone notice that Hill's surfer ex-gf went off on another social media tirade about another one of her exes? I'm starting to think this woman is not dealing with all 52 cards in the deck.
bchbdaddy (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Ugh, that's a bummer. Is that what happens to guys when their hot wives put on a few lbs in menopause?
Yes, when your wife starts looking old and gets fat, you turn to pictures and videos of young and beautiful women as masturbation fodder.

If you are rich and famous, you can actually go find such women IRL to fap to.

It's a lot to wrap your head around . . . NOT!
Old 07-20-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet, somehow, the only thing anybody seemed to notice or care about was Jonah Hill.
"Somehow" a story about a well-known celebrity got more attention than one about a lesser-known celebrity? That's a mystery to you?
Old 07-20-23, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 474 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
Yeah, I did, too. Sorry, Danny, our bad ...
My first thought was "She's not very attractive...Danny must like redheads"
Toby Dramit (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Maybe both can be troubling, instead of basically going "yeah but look over there, that's a bigger deal."
Old 07-20-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe both can be troubling, instead of basically going "yeah but look over there, that's a bigger deal."
A 30 year old man fucking a 16 year old girl is worse, more troubling, and a bigger deal than a 16 year old girl getting an unwanted tongue kiss from a 24 year old man. That's just the truth. And the fact that so many people read that story and completely prioritized the lesser violation with the bigger star over the greater crime is worth pointing out, imo.
Old 07-20-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole
My first thought was "She's not very attractive...Danny must like redheads"
Well, the woman in question is a very attractive redhead.

Old 07-20-23, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 285 Likes on 210 Posts

So will Elfman be canceled enough to get him kicked off of Beetlejuice 2?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.