Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm waiting for MLB players to claim assault and file numerous suits for ass slapping .

...I'm sure thats coming.
I've always thought that's the stupidest fucking thing but I think a lot of things about sports are deeply stupid.

It is pretty sad how much we continue to normalize something like smacking a woman's ass at work. Like that's something she should have to deal with instead of firing him on the spot.
Old 10-19-22, 10:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I've always thought that's the stupidest fucking thing but I think a lot of things about sports are deeply stupid.

It is pretty sad how much we continue to normalize something like smacking a woman's ass at work. Like that's something she should have to deal with instead of firing him on the spot.
or perhaps we are talking about crude physical comedians that do this sort of schtick to be funny. That may be the case here and with Bill Murray. They are expected to be outlandishly funny their entire life and have to come up with material like this on the spot, like slapping butts, kissing through face masks, etc, whatever that could be interpreted as offensive after the fact. Just trying to give a possible explanation that doesn't involve trying to assault women.
Old 10-19-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
or perhaps we are talking about crude physical comedians that do this sort of schtick to be funny. That may be the case here and with Bill Murray. They are expected to be outlandishly funny their entire life and have to come up with material like this on the spot, like slapping butts, kissing through face masks, etc, whatever that could be interpreted as offensive after the fact. Just trying to give a possible explanation that doesn't involve trying to assault women.
Anything to justify it, I suppose.

There is no "interpretation" that smacking a woman's ass is offensive or not. It's offensive. If you saw someone do that to a server at a restaurant, would you think "must be a comedian"?
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Deftones (10-19-22), whotony (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 10:40 AM
Political Exile

Anything to justify it, I suppose.

There is no "interpretation" that smacking a woman's ass is offensive or not. It's offensive. If you saw someone do that to a server at a restaurant, would you think "must be a comedian"?
You don't think there is a difference between a comedian doing this vs a rando at the office or restaurant? You'll find that I defended Al Franken here, he was obviously doing "schtick" when he was pretending to grope the woman's breasts, he's a comedian and he was performing for the camera even if it was just his friends on the plane or whoever. Comedians are expected to be on point and funny all the time. But I guess to be consistent, you'll say that Al Franken got what he deserved?
Old 10-19-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't think there is a difference between a comedian doing this vs a rando at the office or restaurant? You'll find that I defended Al Franken here, he was obviously doing "schtick" when he was pretending to grope the woman's breasts, he's a comedian and he was performing for the camera even if it was just his friends on the plane or whoever. Comedians are expected to be on point and funny all the time. But I guess to be consistent, you'll say that Al Franken got what he deserved?
I don't know if he should have been thrown out of Congress but I have no issues with him being taken to task for what he did. It was offensive and disrespectful and demeaning. But I also don't think "it was a joke" is a good defense for that kind of behavior.

Why should women have to put up with this because men want to be "funny"? Just...fucking keep your hands to yourself. Didn't we all learn that in kindergarten?

Look at it this way - Is the world a better or worse place if comedians don't smack women on the ass or pantomime grabbing their breasts whenever they are doing their "schtick"?

Last edited by Draven; 10-19-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-19-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I would be very curious to hear what other actresses who were directed by Reitman have to say about his behavior. Sigourney Weaver, Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman, for example.
How did he treat them? I'd be willing to bet that he didn't spank their asses. Do you think he lacked respect for Faris, maybe saw her as more of a blonde bimbo type?

First thing I flashed on when I read this was the pilot of Ally McBeal when she was on a ladder and an older male lawyer grabbed her ass, and (basically) claimed he couldn't resist.
So there's 60 year old Reitman, and sexy young Anna Faris on a ladder with her sexy young ass at his eye level. He feels entitled. He directed Ghostbusters, and who the fuck is she?

Not at all saying what he did was appropriate, but just want to do a reality check before he gets posthumously pushed into the pervy predator category.

And directors aren't allowed to yell on set anymore?
Old 10-19-22, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I would be very curious to hear what other actresses who were directed by Reitman have to say about his behavior. Sigourney Weaver, Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman, for example.
How did he treat them? I'd be willing to bet that he didn't spank their asses. Do you think he lacked respect for Faris, maybe saw her as more of a blonde bimbo type?
Why does that matter? Smacking one actress on the ass is plenty bad.

First thing I flashed on when I read this was the pilot of Ally McBeal when she was on a ladder and an older male lawyer grabbed her ass, and (basically) claimed he couldn't resist.
So there's 60 year old Reitman, and sexy young Anna Faris on a ladder with her sexy young ass at his eye level. He feels entitled. He directed Ghostbusters, and who the fuck is she?

Not at all saying what he did was appropriate, but just want to do a reality check before he gets posthumously pushed into the pervy predator category.
Smacking a woman on the ass is creepy behavior. Maybe not predator, but certainly someone who doesn't understand boundaries and feels entitled to take something from a woman whenever he wants.

And directors aren't allowed to yell on set anymore?
There's "yelling" and there is "driving Shelley Duvall insane on the set of 'The Shining'". We don't know where Reitman falls on the scale.
Old 10-19-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

From Faris' description, it doesn't sound like it was meant to be funny. Of course, Reitman isn't here to defend himself. Sounds like a whole crew was there, so someone must have witnessed it.
Old 10-19-22, 11:30 AM
Political Exile

I don't know if he should have been thrown out of Congress but I have no issues with him being taken to task for what he did. It was offensive and disrespectful and demeaning. But I also don't think "it was a joke" is a good defense for that kind of behavior.

Why should women have to put up with this because men want to be "funny"? Just...fucking keep your hands to yourself. Didn't we all learn that in kindergarten?

Look at it this way - Is the world a better or worse place if comedians don't smack women on the ass or pantomime grabbing their breasts whenever they are doing their "schtick"?
How about mooning the crew? Taking your shirt off even if you are obese and flopping your male breasts? I think I've said enough on this topic, I don't know how a comedians mind works, and what they think is funny when trying to keep cast and crew in a light mood.
Old 10-19-22, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
From Faris' description, it doesn't sound like it was meant to be funny. Of course, Reitman isn't here to defend himself. Sounds like a whole crew was there, so someone must have witnessed it.
It wasn't the correct time to announce it. She was A-list back then and you don't jeopardize that status.

Now it's different. Perfect time to coordinate a press release, book tour, interviews, etc.
Old 10-19-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about mooning the crew? Taking your shirt off even if you are obese and flopping your male breasts? I think I've said enough on this topic, I don't know how a comedians mind works, and what they think is funny when trying to keep cast and crew in a light mood.
If you think mooning or taking off your shirt is at all equivalent to smacking a woman on the ass then I do think you've said enough on this topic.

The following users liked this post:
whotony (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does that matter? Smacking one actress on the ass is plenty bad.
Establishing pattern of behavior.
Yesterday, I did two illegal things. I don't think I did anything bad, and I certainly don't think it makes me a bad person.

Smacking a woman on the ass is creepy behavior. Maybe not predator, but certainly someone who doesn't understand boundaries and feels entitled to take something from a woman whenever he wants.
Whenever he wants? So far he has been accused of touching one woman's ass one time.

I did say he did he it because he felt entitled, but I think the much more important issue is that Faris did not feel entitled to immediately call him out. She says she felt like the only response available to her was to take it as him kidding around. Was that because he was the boss, or did she just feel like that was how a woman should react--to diminish and move on?

Old 10-19-22, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Establishing pattern of behavior. Yesterday, I did two illegal things. I don't think I did anything bad, and I certainly don't think it makes me a bad person.
Did you hit someone who works for you? How many times do you need to do that be "bad"?

Whenever he wants? So far he has been accused of touching one woman's ass one time.
He decided that he was going to hit a female subordinate. Isn't once enough?

I did say he did he it because he felt entitled, but I think the much more important issue is that Faris did not feel entitled to immediately call him out. She says she felt like the only response available to her was to take it as him kidding around. Was that because he was the boss, or did she just feel like that was how a woman should react--to diminish and move on?
From the article:

“I remember looking around and I remember seeing the crew members being like, ‘Wait, what are you going to do about that? That seemed weird.’ And that’s how I dismissed it. I was like, ‘Well, this isn’t a thing. Like, it’s not that big of a deal. Buck up, Faris. Like, just giggle.’ But it made me feel small. He wouldn’t have done that to the lead male.”
Old 10-19-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I don't think it was meant to be funny because it's not humorous. It was meant to be something to do. He's a man, and there was a woman's ass at eye level so he smacked it. And yeah, he did it in front of the entire crew because he didn't care if people saw him do it because he didn't think it was a big deal. Sometimes people do stuff because it pops into their heads to do it, and they don't see any reason why they shouldn't. And why did it pop into his head to touch Anna Faris' ass? Because she had a very good looking ass.
Old 10-19-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Yet putting your hands on someone and smelling them is perfectly OK...

Old 10-19-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Yet putting your hands on someone and smelling them is perfectly OK...
Do you think it should be?
whotony (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't...seems like to many it is. IMHO anyway.
Old 10-19-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So, has anyone else come out and said that they witnessed this ass slap? I know Anna said that there were several crew members that were there. Have any of them told the same story?
Old 10-19-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you hit someone who works for you? How many times do you need to do that be "bad"?
You keep saying "hit" like he punched her in face. I have the same issue with people calling "The Slap" an assault. The issue is he touched her ass. I don't think she would be talking about it 15 years later if he slapped her on the back.

So, I can only reiterate what I have already said that what he did was inappropriate, and that he did it because he felt entitled.
Faris felt disrespected. Maybe Reitman did not respect her, so she got the message.

I don't actually have a particular fondness for Reitman or most of his work. I think he is over-rated and got lucky with some great casts.
But at the same time, I do not have an overall negative assessment of his character based on this story of his smacking a woman's ass one time.
Old 10-19-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

You keep saying "hit" like he punched her in face. I have the same issue with people calling "The Slap" an assault. The issue is he touched her ass. I don't think she would be talking about it 15 years later if he slapped her on the back.

So, I can only reiterate what I have already said that what he did was inappropriate, and that he did it because he felt entitled.
Faris felt disrespected. Maybe Reitman did not respect her, so she got the message.

I don't actually have a particular fondness for Reitman or most of his work. I think he is over-rated and got lucky with some great casts.
But at the same time, I do not have an overall negative assessment of his character based on this story of his smacking a woman's ass one time.

You’re wrong.
Old 10-19-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
You’re wrong.

whotony (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

😆..
Old 10-19-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

That’s a bit of a leap don’t you think? I totally agree that slapping her ass was inappropriate, but it’s a ways away from groping or assault. That would be crossing a whole new boundary.
Old 10-19-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino

That’s a bit of a leap don’t you think? I totally agree that slapping her ass was inappropriate, but it’s a ways away from groping or assault. That would be crossing a whole new boundary.
It 100% meets the definition of assault.
Old 10-20-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Spacey comes out on top in NY court. Civil case against Oscar-winning actor is a no go.

Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp had alleged that in 1986, Spacey, then 26, invited Rapp, then 14, to his Manhattan home where he picked Rapp up, laid him down on his bed, grabbed his buttocks and pressed his groin into Rapp’s body without his consent.

The judge dismissed Rapp’s claims of assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress. leaving it to the jury to decide if Spacey had committed battery against the teenage Rapp.

The New York jury found Spacey not liable for battery. The lawsuit sought $40 million in damages.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.