Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-28-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Hows the quality of IMAX Laser?

I can't wait for the home Laser FPs to come down in price.
Old 05-28-15, 01:21 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Lethal Weapon 2
Old 05-28-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

The Boy Next Door (2015)

Basically an R-rated Lifetime movie. J-Lo is really hot in it and there is 1 semi-explicit sex scene with her.

Definitely good for 1 time only viewing.
Old 05-28-15, 03:06 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)*

* There were four people in the theater for the 11:00am showing.
Old 05-28-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hows the quality of IMAX Laser?

I can't wait for the home Laser FPs to come down in price.
Amazing! Its brighter than traditional film projection with dark black and whiter whites. And way better than IMAX projection. Theater is way too loud.
Old 05-28-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Understandable, glad to know the picture is great at least. IMAX audio si awesome in some instances but seriously overkill in others.

I watched Pitch Perfect 2, it was entertaining enough but the scene and edit timing seemed off. At nearly 2 hrs it was definitely a bit overkill.

That said, where as the first movie reminded me of Fired Up, this one reminded me of Dodgeball. When the Green Bay guys first showed up I thought it was Chris Jericho / Fozzy

Last edited by RichC2; 05-28-15 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Kite on Starz

I liked the gloomy atmosphere of the movie but it was nothing special but decent for a night viewing.

Old 05-29-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I think the better review is if it was watchable or not, reviews have not been kind to that adaptation.
Old 05-29-15, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Poltergeist (2015) 3D and 7.1 sound design are a fun aspect to the movie, but the script and some of the acting just made me cringe.
Old 05-29-15, 05:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Skin Trade
Mad Max IMAX Laser Projection
Pitch Perfect 2 Dolby Digital
Mad Max 3D
Pitch Perfect 2
Entourage
Tomorrowland RealD 3D
San Andreas 3D
Tomorrowland
Spy
San Andreas 3D IMAX Laser Projecton
gonna do a triple feature of this next Tuesday. Seen (heard) 'Tomorrowland' prior in Dolby Atmos, but want to see and hear the IMAX-Laser presentation and then stick around for the 9pm 'San Andreas' - woohoo!
Old 05-29-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Requiem for a Vampire - 2.5/5

Two young girls on the run from the law stumble upon a chateau inhabited by an aging vampire who is near the end of his existence. Of his own films, Jean Rollin considers this to be his favorite, I have to disagree. He says that he wrote the script for this film in one day and it shows. I found it to be a too simple in terms of themes and story especially when compared to his previous film Shiver of the Vampires.

Last edited by inri222; 05-29-15 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Nude Vampire - 2/5

A man falls in love with a strange woman only to find out that she is a member of a coven of vampire like creatures who are immortal. Contains a couple of nice sequences and a somewhat interesting story but the execution is not good.
Old 05-29-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Rape of the Vampire - 2/5

Jean Rollin's first film about three people who pay a visit to a village in order to disprove that four sisters that live there are vampires. Started out as a short film and then extended to a two chapter full length. Should have remained separate films due to the different feel in tone that occurs between both parts.
Old 05-29-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

San Andreas

I'd give it a B-

Mainly for the special FX, The Rock and Alexandra Daddario.

It was an entertaining & cheesy movie, but nothing we haven't already seen before.
Old 05-29-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Results (2015) - rented this. Mumblecore screwball comedy of sorts about personal trainers with Guy Pearce, Cobie Smulders, Constance Zimmer, Giovanni Ribisi, Kevin Corrigan, Anthony Michael Hall and Brooklyn Decker. Well made for what it is but not to everybody's taste, sort of felt like a grounded Burn After Reading without the CIA. It's pretty funny in spots, brutally awkward in others, and just a little too long for its own good. Solid acting all around.

I'm still in love with Cobie Smulders, she plays a bitch very well. Guy Pearce does not look like he's pushing 50.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-29-15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very dark but very funny, plus some naked Jordana Brewster
Old 05-30-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Stranger - 4/5

Orson Welles' noirish thriller about a government agent on the trail of a notorious Nazi who was in charge of the extermination camps and disappeared after the war without any traces to identify him. After some digging we find out that the Nazi might be hiding amongst the citizens of a small peaceful town in Connecticut. While this may be no Citizen Kane or Touch of Evil, it is still a very good film.

Last edited by inri222; 05-30-15 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting story but I was expecting more. Felt it was long and repetitive. Could have been a little tighter. Nice to see Reese in a role like this.
Old 05-31-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Kite - Samuel L Jackson, India Eisley

I like the cast, but other than some scenes of creative violence in how she (India Eisley's character) killed the bad guys, there was not much substance to the film. It was short, about 95 minutes including credits, so it does not kill your entire day watching it. It looks like only 14 reviews hit Rotten Tomatoes and it shows a 0% rating, so yeah...not one of Samuel L Jackson's best films.
Old 05-31-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Volver - 4.5/5

After the death of an aunt, the past comes back to haunt two sisters who left their troubles behind by moving from the country to the big city.
Another gem from Almodovar filled with some of the best female characters ever captured on film.
Old 06-01-15, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
San Andreas- If I had spent two hours doing almost anything else that wasn't harmful, it would have been more worthwhile. Apart from the eye candy of Alexandra Daddario and Carla Gugino (and The Rock for the ladies), this movie has almost no redeeming value at all. It looks like a special effects showreel with a 10-minute cameo by a big actor got grafted onto a TV movie and edited by me. No wit, imagination, emotion, tension, thrills, humor (none intentionally, anyway), or anything else besides more pixels than Final Fantasy X. Head-banging-ly boring garbage that cost millions of dollars. Unbelievably. Don't pay to see this. Two hours of your life are gone forever.

The Searchers- Though still marred by the controversy surrounding many of his films, this is one of John Ford's best pictures, a combination of breathtaking visuals and a storyline that questions and examines many of the genre stereotypes Ford has been accused of perpetuating. Tense set, pieces, dark psychosexual underpinnings, and gorgeous visuals make up for some sluggish pacing, questionable racial depictions, and stilted dialogue. One of the key American films, and certainly with good reason, though flawed, it continues to be influential and fascinating. The vistas of Monument Valley rain breathtaking today. Why does the Blu-ray not have lossless audio? Why?!

Gone With the Wind- The fact that this is the most popular of American films suggests something altogether unpleasant about race relations in this country. The cinematic equivalent of watching paint dry, David Selznick's mega-production is gorgeous-looking and has some of the most breathtaking cinematography ever put on film in rich and vivid Technicolor. Unfortunately, the unbelievably long narrative is not interesting enough to sustain the film's running time, the narcissistic central characters are frequently unpleasant, and the dated cultural stereotypes do no do the film any favors. Ben Hur may be a glorified Sunday School lesson, but at least it has some impressive spectacle. Gone With the Wind has nowhere near enough, especially in its ramshackle and stagey second half. But hey, what do I know?

Pitch Perfect- Though as cliched and predictable as a TV movie, not shot with particularly cinematic flair, and lacking in particularly inventive choreography, this musical about wannabe DJ who falls in with an a-cappella singing group makes up for its flaws with a toe-tapping soundtrack, an amusing cast, a good sense of humor, and immense charm. Flaws and all, I had a huge smile on my face at the end, and it was way too much find to resist. Would probably be a terrific date movie, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. Lots of fun.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-01-15 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

A mostly enjoyable month for me:

Johnny Eager
My Winnipeg
The Killing of Sister George
Atari: Game Over (Though it felt more like a short-film)
22 Jump Street
The Sea Devils
Enduring Love

Beyond The Law
Van Gogh
French Cancan
Cougars, Inc.
A Report on the Party and Guests
Sleep Tight
Mission To Mars
Gummo
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
8 Million Ways to Die
Tobacco Road
Solaris (2002)
(Not as bad as I thought it would be)
The Outlaw and His Wife
Mardi Gras: Spring Break
Parenthood
Mad Max: Fury Road
Live Flesh

Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
Chimes at Midnight (I'm kinda torn on this one)
Miami Vice
Jealousy
Here's Your Life (Best movie of the month)
Hollow Man
Revolutionary Road (It certainly took a long time, but I have finally now become a Leo fan. Some tremendous acting from him here)
Normal Adolescent Behavior
Lisztomania
Frontier Of The Dawn

The Late Show
Easter Bunny Bloodbath
Roxanna
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

Tough Guys Don’t Dance
1000 Convicts and a Woman
Pearls of the Deep
Pink Floyd: The Story of Wish You Were Here
The Lost Empire
It Happened Here (Seamless blending of actual footage makes up for everything else)
Horno
The Immortal Story
Tusk
Get Smart
(Biggest surprise of the month. I couldn't believe how much I was laughing near the end)
21 Years: Richard Linklater (I loved this, but there was too much mention of Newton Boys and not enough SubUrbia)
Breakfast on Pluto (Should be more well known)
Real Life
The Purge: Anarchy
Bagdad Cafe (Sure reminded me a lot of Wenders here & there)
All These Women (Very tough to recommend to others, but, IMO, that fireworks scene is way up there in "Great-Bergman-moments")
Dinosaur Island (I miss this kind of skinemax)
The Paleface
Loving
Funny Farm
Away From Her
Time After Time (1979) (I've been wanting to see this for over 25 years and was not disappointed)
Secret Things
That Gal…Who Was in That Thing: That Guy 2 (Would've liked it more if the actresses discussed movie-work more than TV-work)
The Tin Star
Inherent Vice
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
The Runaways
Smash Palace

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 06-01-15 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 10:16 AM
RIP

Watched:

The Overnighters
Wake in Fright
Ms. 45
The Addiction
Old 06-01-15, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you think of Ms. 45?
Old 06-01-15, 02:06 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What did you think of Ms. 45?
Pretty cool. Really like Ferrara, I think he's underrated as hell. "The Addiction" was pretty fucking great, too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.