Rate My DVD Collection

Old 02-16-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: Rate My DVD Collection

Originally Posted by paradicelost
anyone
I like how you separated your kids/wife's John Cusack stuff

Nice Horror and Asian selection. I approve.

But... did I see Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 but not the first one?!?

Overall, nice collection so far.
Old 02-16-09, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Definitely A+ for quantity...and i'll say no more!

Go ahead say more, I can take it...
Theres gotta be SOME good ones in there : )
Old 02-16-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

anyone
No need to feel ashamed. We all need a little John Cusack in our lives at some point. Plus, you have Iron Monkey which we already stated makes your collection a good one. You have quite a few Batman discs but remember, you can always have more.

Originally Posted by buzzkiller
oooh i wanna play too..
There sure is alot to sift through. Nice collection, you have both quantity AND quality which is pretty hard to do.

But all you really need to keep is the five seasons of the Wire. The rest is expendable. But that's everybody not just you.
Old 02-16-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by utopianz14
You have one pre-1975 movie... And it's Dirty Harry...

It's not that Dirty Harry is a bad movie, but when that's all you have in the period circa 1890 to 1975, then I wouldn't call it a good collection. For your personal tastes and those of many others, your collection is probably very good, and that's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes and you shouldn't take our criticisms so personally.

But when I judge a collection, I look for variety and breadth. Looking at yours is like going to a library that only has books written after 1950.

Actually my earliest films are The Man with No Name trilogy, which were early to mid 60's.
Old 02-16-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I like how you separated your kids/wife's John Cusack stuff

Nice Horror and Asian selection. I approve.

But... did I see Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 but not the first one?!?
you know i have no clue why i have never picked it up. I have the first and third on laser but never gotten around to upgrading. I also only have the 2nd prom night, mainly because I think the first is the most over-rated horror film of my generation.

Last edited by paradicelost; 02-16-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the compliments and the critique alike guys.

I know if my collection suffers from anything, it's mostly my affection for horror. Seems more often that not that's all I buy. Here lately I've been trying to cross into other genres though.

And I don't think my collection suffers from having WWE dvd's in it, I think it suffers because I don't have every WWE dvd in it.

I'm gonna go through some of you guys collections in a bit. Hopefully find some goodies to add to my want list...
Old 02-16-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I posted a link to mine in this thread quite some time ago, but it's changed a lot since then and I've started using DVDAf again since then, so here it is if anyone cares to have a look:http://cosmicbus.dvdaf.com/
One thing that sort of surprised me was how streamlined your collection was. We've traded before several times in the past and I was under the impression that you had a boatload of imported titles. That said, I like that you've got balanced taste in films and agree with the earlier poster who said that anyone who owns the Murnau/Borzage box must be ok! Just make sure to give me first chance if you ever decide to let go of your Scent of Green Papaya/Cyclo disc!!

Seriously, a tight blend of foreign and domestic, new and older.

Last edited by dmkb; 02-16-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

How about mine?
http://supersushiboy.dvdaf.com/owned
Old 02-16-09, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MR Round
a bit more about quantity over quality eh? alot of it is stuff i'd never have interest in owning ever but some good stuff mixed in. C-
Old 02-16-09, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
though what's with The Adventures of Milo and Otis?
Heh, I like that you point out Milo and Otis but not the two Babe dvds. Really, I just love the movie and it's one of the few pieces of childhood nostalgia I buy into entirely. These quality live action "animal adventure" flicks are a bit of a fixation for me, to be honest: see my recent additions of the French Blu-rays for Annaud's The Bear and Two Brothers.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I saw you have a few MoC titles, which is a good start, though they have many more releases that would make worthy additions to your library.
Originally Posted by dmkb
One thing that sort of surprised me was how streamlined your collection was. We've traded before several times in the past and I was under the impression that you had a boatload of imported titles.
Addressing two posts at once...

For the MoC discs, I've owned a good number of them, but as with a lot of my import purchases, it was simply to see a film when there wasn't a US option. I buy and trade/sell R2 and R3 discs almost like my own little Netflix sometimes... They've put out some over the past couple of years that really grab my interest, but I'm finding it hard to justify the purchases when I've got such a huge backlog on the shelf as it is.

Thinking of imports in general, I've slowed significantly on buying ones I know (or assume) will get released here eventually; they'll just go in the rental queue. I like to focus more on the uncommon things, like these classics hitting high-def in the UK and a growing interest in older Chinese and Korean film.

My Tran Anh Hung DVDs are staying right where they are, though, dmkb.
Old 02-16-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

You can rate mine if you want to. Click on the DVD Profiler link in my signature. I have it set so the default sort is by "date purchased." If you want to sort by title click on the top of the title column.
Old 02-16-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone
You have a decent collection - "B"
Old 02-16-09, 09:17 PM

Danwiz: Not relevant to the DVDs, but I'm enjoying looking through your photos from Japan.
Old 02-16-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If anyone is interested, my collection is in my sig.

I just put everything on there and haven't really played with the site much, so any recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by dino88; 02-16-09 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MR Round
I give you a B.

and a gold star for owning Thunder In Paradise 1, 2 and 3. And admitting it.
Old 02-16-09, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by dino88

I just put everything on there and haven't really played with the site much, so any recommendations are welcome.
The Brady Bunch Movie, I Spit On Your Grave and Tokyo Story sharing shelf space.
Old 02-16-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
The Brady Bunch Movie, I Spit On Your Grave and Tokyo Story sharing shelf space.
Not just The Brady Bunch Movie, but A Very Brady Sequel as well...lol

I'll have a quadruple feature night with the Brady movies, I Spit On Your Grave and Last House on the Left once I get it

Last edited by dino88; 02-16-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 10:29 PM

Dino,

A nice rounded collection 8/10. Could beef up your horror and exploitation catagories, if you are into it. Also maybe make some of your own folders to sort items the way you want.
Old 02-16-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hank1215
Dino,

A nice rounded collection 8/10. Could beef up your horror and exploitation catagories, if you are into it. Also maybe make some of your own folders to sort items the way you want.
Yeah, I've been buying more horror recently. I have tons of burnt dvds from rentals, but it just seems like recently that they are giving the horror genre more special editions. I've been holding out so I don't have to double dip.

Regarding the folders, I'm trying to figure the site out as we speak.

Last edited by dino88; 02-16-09 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
You have a decent collection - "B"
Thank you, that seems to be quite the compliment coming from you(as shitty as that sounds i mean that in a good way).
Old 02-16-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dino88,
nice collection, you seem to be just a big "film" fan. It seems like your taste are just very spread out. You probably have something to grab off the shelf and throw in the player no matter what mood you're in.
I think that is what i'm always pushing for in my collection.
Old 02-16-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dino88,
nice collection, you seem to be just a big "film" fan. It seems like your taste are just very spread out. You probably have something to grab off the shelf and throw in the player no matter what mood you're in.
I think that is what i'm always pushing for in my collection.
Thanks...and funny enough, nothing is in the player at the moment, but instead listening to Howard Stern
Old 02-16-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

paradicelost: I just opened your page and I'm wondering how you made those custom folders.

Last edited by dino88; 02-16-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

paradicelost: I just opened up your page and I'm wondering how you made those custom folders.
I apologize ahead of time the way i'm going to explain this, after dealing with my kids for so long, step by step is all i know how to explain things.
When you're logged in, at the top/middle of the page you see DVDAf, Price comparison, etc. Underneath that you'll see My Home, My Folders, etc. You go to My Folders, and that will take you to Folder Mainenance. From there it gives you the option to name the folder or folders, you hit submit and then after that on your main page it will give you the option to move your titles(or new titles) to those specific folders.
Old 02-16-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From there it gives you the option to name the folder or folders, you hit submit and then after that on your main page it will give you the option to move your titles(or new titles) to those specific folders.
Okay, I just figured it out. I had already done what you said and nothing showed up on my main page. I realized that the sub-folders weren't showing up bc I hadn't put any films in them yet. Thanks

p.s. your kids probably know just as much about computers as I do

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.