Rate My DVD Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Old 04-22-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rate My DVD Collection

Originally Posted by Torchur317 View Post
Not really, some films were only released that way.
I don't see anything wrong with it....
Oh well....
That's fine but what Noir was saying was that if you don't have the film in it's proper aspect ratio then you really don't have the film. Some movies were released FF but if it wasn't and you've got a cropped version then you're really missing out on the movie.

Have a go at mine everyone.
Old 04-23-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lose points because full screen doesn't bother me?
Yes.

Not really, some films were only released that way.
I'm not talking about the FS-only releases, I'm talking about the FS copies of movies you own when there are WS versions available.
Old 04-23-09, 12:33 AM

I still think that's lame but whatever that's your opinion....
Old 04-23-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about Blu-ray? That format is superior to SD, so that means my collection consists of 1 film. I don't understand how someone can tell you that you don't own a film because you haven't upgraded from FS to WS.

How about we flip it on it's head and give Torchur more points for his FS movies. I mean a lot of them may be out of print and therefore are collectibles....yea? nay?...I'm trying Torchur
Old 04-23-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I got about 99% of my discs finally uploaded to a new DVDAF account, so I'm game. Rate away:

http://infidel1967.dvdaf.com/owned
Old 04-23-09, 03:17 AM

I still think that's lame but whatever that's your opinion....
See... there are no actual points being distributed. The grade means nothing, just one person's opinion. Cool your jets and enjoy your stay.
Old 04-23-09, 03:19 AM

It's all good, Just thought it was weird.....
Old 04-23-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

basically already said but if it's stuff you like why would you care what anyone else thinks. It's not really a prize winning contest to own a massive dvd collection or something.
Old 04-23-09, 01:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 514 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I got about 99% of my discs finally uploaded to a new DVDAF account, so I'm game. Rate away:

http://infidel1967.dvdaf.com/owned
mostly mainstream, nothing really genre specific, nothing really captivating or unique. sorry, but points off for some cringe inducing titles like Britney Spears.
C
B- (w/out Britney)
Old 04-23-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, first off, I apologize for nothing in my collection. I bought everything for whatever reason, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Think what you want about Britney now, but the girl made some hot videos back in the day, and she was a quite a performer before her meltdown. But I understand what you mean as a whole. I was expecting to receive fairly average feedback, and I'm proud of my collection, no matter what.

I'm curious, though...I've never quite understood what is meant by "genre specific". I mean, the movies are categorized into specific genres, so...

What would you consider "captivating or unique"?
Old 04-23-09, 01:21 PM

Well, first off, I apologize for nothing in my collection. I bought everything for whatever reason, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Think what you want about Britney now, but the girl made some hot videos back in the day, and she was a quite a performer before her meltdown. But I understand what you mean as a whole. I was expecting to receive fairly average feedback, and I'm proud of my collection, no matter what.

I'm curious, though...I've never quite understood what is meant by "genre specific". I mean, the movies are categorized into specific genres, so...

What would you consider "captivating or unique"?
dude, don't take offense and no need to defend. it is one person's opinion of your unique collection.

just meant you don't have one genre that stands out with more titles than another. meaning i wouldn't know if you like one specific genre more than any other if you do anyway that is. it is pretty much just a mixed range.

captivating or unique to me are titles not seen in everyone else's collections. ones that may be hard to find or rare and unique to a specific genre, like horror.
Old 04-23-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
dude, don't take offense and no need to defend. it is one person's opinion of your unique collection.

just meant you don't have one genre that stands out with more titles than another. meaning i wouldn't know if you like one specific genre more than any other if you do anyway that is. it is pretty much just a mixed range.

captivating or unique to me are titles not seen in everyone else's collections. ones that may be hard to find or rare and unique to a specific genre, like horror.
Wasn't taking offense or defending at all, my friend. Just making a statement. That's why I said I understand what you mean as a whole. Here, will this help?

Thanks for explaining. I like to think of what I own as a wide variety of tastes. I honestly don't know myself if there's any one genre of movie I like more than another. I like movies. I'm a fan of movies. If a movie strikes a chord with me, for whatever reason, I buy it. That's about all I can say, I guess. Thanks for looking! Here's another one to help you finish out your day:
Old 04-23-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say Britney Spears fits that description
Old 04-23-09, 02:39 PM

Wasn't taking offense or defending at all, my friend. Just making a statement. That's why I said I understand what you mean as a whole. Here, will this help?

Thanks for explaining. I like to think of what I own as a wide variety of tastes. I honestly don't know myself if there's any one genre of movie I like more than another. I like movies. I'm a fan of movies. If a movie strikes a chord with me, for whatever reason, I buy it. That's about all I can say, I guess. Thanks for looking! Here's another one to help you finish out your day:
back at ya
Old 04-23-09, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Battle Royale
Lady Vengeance (R3)

wow! almost like looking at my own collection, except your wish list are my owned.
get "30 Rock" (S2)!

very nice mix, eclectic in some respects. really like looking at my own for the most part.
B+/A-
A (when you fulfill your wish list obligations)

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-23-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've added quite a few new ones to my list since i've participated a few months ago so if someone wants to check mine out and rate me I'd appreciate it.
Its in my sig.
Old 04-23-09, 10:28 PM

My collection will get bashed, but feel free to bash away!

And yes, I am Schwarzenegger fan, and a Sandler fan (for the most part...)
Old 04-23-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Battle Royale
Lady Vengeance (R3)

wow! almost like looking at my own collection, except your wish list are my owned.
get "30 Rock" (S2)!

very nice mix, eclectic in some respects. really like looking at my own for the most part.
B+/A-
A (when you fulfill your wish list obligations)
Yeah, I'm waiting to get 30 Rock cheap. I wish I hadn't bought the first season already, then I could get the 2 pack for $30 at Target.

I'm sure I have more to add to the wish list, I don't ever think it'll be empty. I just ordered the Brazil Criterion 3disc for $13 new from a seller on Amazon. It's the older version though, so I'll watch it and see if I feel the need to upgrade...if so I'll look for a used copy of the single disc reissue.

I've added some more director's sections on my bookshelves so I may update that on dvdaf sometime soon.

I wish there was a way on the site to compare 2 peoples collections. Show how many of the same dvds...and then you could just look through the ones that differ. I'm going to check yours out now.
Old 04-23-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

scott1598

Damn, that's a lot of steelbooks! I didn't even know several of those existed. What are the futureshop exclusives? Is it a store that makes custom steelbooks and are they expensive? I've never really searched for them specifically, instead I've either gotten them through the mail without knowing or picked them up at best buy if they were the same price as the regular case versions. It was pretty cool to get the Robocop steelbook in the mail...that case just fits that movie perfectly. I'm curious as the whether you are collecting the actual steelbooks or are just a fan of all those films.

I'd really like to get that Terminator S.1 steelbook. More so for just that cover.

I'm looking through your bigger list now....already found one I want "Dead & Buried"...would you recommend it? I know with my dvds, everything I own I would recommend outside a few (i.e. Me, Myself & Irene...I can't remember why I bought that...must have been really cheap).

It's funny looking through this list bc I can almost guarantee where and around when you bought some of them. IE, I just saw Squirm and I bet you bought that through Secondspin w/the HEYNOW code. Am I close?

Last edited by dino88; 04-23-09 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost View Post
Animation - B+ (just a hint of Japanese (Miyazaki) and mostly well known classics. Could use some expansion)

Asian - C+ (Perfect Blue, Metropolis, Bride With White Hair, Tale of Two Sisters. Like the variety!)

Comedy - B- (Large but mostly generic Blockbuster. But everyone likes what they like. Extra kudos for Real Genius!)

Comic Book
- B- (Looks fairly generic, but I noticed you don't have a lot of complete collections - Superman/Spiderman/Batman)

Disney - B+ (Good stuff but I only prefer Pixar's work for American stuff.)

General Drama - C (Pretty basic)

Horror/Sci-fi
- A- (A lot of variety and good editions.)

Television - A (Massive)

Blu-Ray B+ (You're getting there. Lot of basic stuff that I would pick up if I collected BR discs.)

Not overall unique. Horror/Sci Fi section is best in this area. TV is huge with a good variety of generic well known titles. A little boring (for my tastes) but I'd give your collection a B+ for overall quality and scale.
Old 04-23-09, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
"Dead & Buried"...would you recommend it?
Great film, check it out....
Old 04-24-09, 12:36 AM

Agreed. It's one of the reasons why I hate hypodermic needles..
Old 04-24-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm having a hard time rating everyone's collections. I see movies I love mixed in with movies I hate/have never seen/will never see. And it's hard to judge some collections because some of you have so many, maybe even too many (I know, I know).
Old 04-24-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Double agree, definitely worth checking out.
Old 04-24-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
Agreed. It's one of the reasons why I hate hypodermic needles..
Originally Posted by paradicelost View Post
Double agree, definitely worth checking out.
Noted and ordered...almost. I'm trying to figure out what to get with it, either Freaks or the Tremors Attack Pack (all 4 films) which are both the same price. Need to make up my mind in the next 20 minutes....Thanks guys

edit...went w/Tremors. I haven't seen any of the sequels, so more bang for the buck. $19 for 5 flicks, but had a little credit at Wherehouse.com so only $10. Thanks again for the recommendation and to Scott for his list.

Last edited by dino88; 04-24-09 at 02:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.