Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dollfins1
Fixed LOL
hahaha
Old 12-02-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
That's deep, brother. You'll have to let us know how that film works out for you.
Watched this last night. Pretty much a pretentious mess, especially the tedious and inconsequential courtroom scene, which included the worst dialogue of the entire film. A voodoo orgy, totally irrelevant to the plot, is included, it seems, merely for shock value. Theresa Russell, so remarkable in Roeg's Bad Timing, gives an excruciating performance here. Since Roeg hasen't bothered to make us care about any of the characters, there is no tension as we near the climax. Nice cinematography, as usual from Roeg, and there are a handful of his trademark cryptic visual associations and the usual vague psychic connections between people and events, but nothing to rival his earlier masterpieces. He even steals a line from Melville's Army of Shadows!
Old 12-02-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I'm always open to criticism. Have at it.

My DVD collection
Old 12-02-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Watched this last night. Pretty much a pretentious mess, especially the tedious and inconsequential courtroom scene, which included the worst dialogue of the entire film. A voodoo orgy, totally irrelevant to the plot, is included, it seems, merely for shock value. Theresa Russell, so remarkable in Roeg's Bad Timing, gives an excruciating performance here. Since Roeg hasen't bothered to make us care about any of the characters, there is no tension as we near the climax. Nice cinematography, as usual from Roeg, and there are a handful of his trademark cryptic visual associations and the usual vague psychic connections between people and events, but nothing to rival his earlier masterpieces. He even steals a line from Melville's Army of Shadows!
Elemental is not going to be happy.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle

My DVD collection
The most surprising title in your collection to me is Andrei Rublev. I'm glad you liked it and Solaris. Speaking of Solaris, since you liked both versions of the film, did you also read the original book by Polish sci-fi writer Stanislaw Lem? It's very enjoyable too.

I see you have Duguay's Joan of Arc. If you like the tale, I'd recommend checking out the the prior versions by Carl Th. Dreyer (The Passion of Joan of Arc), Robert Bresson (The Trial of Joan of Arc), and Jacques Rivette (Joan the Maid), all of which I think you may find superior.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-02-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Your praise reminds me of those blubs you see on the cover of bad films in which a qualified (as in limited) endorsement is cut down into an unqualified quote:

nitin77 of dvdtalk.com says "It delivers!"

That's what separates my taste in films from most of those I gave low marks to in this thread, and those like them. I can rarely say, "oh well, its just a dumb action flick so it's enough that it moves along fast enough that I don't have to stop and think about whether there's any substance to it." In fact, I've seen the standard artifices of action-movies (e.g., swelling music, quick cutting, and purposeless violence) abused so often that I'm now predisposed to disliking any film which deploys them. I can still be won over, but these films have to work twice as hard.
Are you sure you're not merely working from an unconscious anti-Hollywood prejudice? Several of the jidai-geki films you've praised, especially Katsu's Zatoichi series, are mere action films. They're immensely entertaining, but they don't require much thought to be enjoyed. I get the feeling that you hold Hollywood films to a higher standard than you do foreign films. I love chambara films like Kill! and The Sword of Doom, but I'm under no illusions that they contain some hidden profundity merely because their dialogue is in Japanese.

Equilibrium is a dreadfully stupid film employing hackneyed sci-fi cliches that insult the intelligence of viewers, but it also has shirtless Christian Bale flexing his biceps, and that excuses a great deal (Alas, Taye Diggs and Angus McFadyen don't take off their clothes).

I'm sure the straight film buffs here make the same allowances for sleazy and brainless Laura Antonelli vehicles from the 70s.

I just rewatched Z Channel: A Dangerous Obsession last night, and among the many films it mentioned, there was a Klaus Kinski film, The Most Important Thing is to Love, which doesn't seem to have had an R1 release, and I'm disinclined to blind buy an expensive R2 disc. Have you seen it? Any good?

Last edited by Gobear; 12-02-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
I just rewatched Z Channel: A Dangerous Obsession last night, and among the many films it mentioned, there was a Klaus Kinski film, The Most Important Thing is to Love, which doesn't seem to have had an R1 release, and I'm disinclined to blind buy an expensive R2 disc. Have you seen it? Any good?
There was a review on DVDTalk a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=31422&___rd=1

This was one of many titles that Z Channel piqued my interest in. It's $20.99 from Exploited Cinema, which isn't too bad.
Old 12-02-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gobear
Are you sure you're not merely working from an unconscious anti-Hollywood prejudice?
I do have a prejudice, but it is not unconscious. My previous statement about action films, “I can still be won over, but these films have to work twice as hard,’ is applicable to Hollywood films generally. So many of them are bad that I tend to view them all skeptically. However, I’d say that I hold other genres of film in nearly as much skepticism, and accept no film blindly based merely on the conditions under which it was made.

Several of the jidai-geki films you've praised, especially Katsu's Zatoichi series, are mere action films.
As I remarked in post 154, the Zatoichi films are actually my wife’s. I probably wouldn’t own them on my own, but as I later said, they are “good popcorn fun.” The Zatoichi films are all reworkings of only a handful (if that) of minor plot variations, and their enjoyment relies completely and utterly on one’s appreciation of Katsu’s performance. In no way do they have merit beyond as a mere vehicle for his comedy. So, yeah, I can watch a mindless flick every now and then if it has something that really carries it (in this case, Katsu), but I’d never want to own more than a handful of such simple pleasures, and I’d want to space them out the same way I would rich desserts.

I love chambara films like Kill! and The Sword of Doom, but I'm under no illusions that they contain some hidden profundity merely because their dialogue is in Japanese.
I’m aware of the tendency to treat that which is foreign as better merely because it is exotic. I think bad anime (as opposed to good anime) often still gets a pass by many because it is foreign. However, I think you’re being too hard on Kihachi Okamoto’s films. I read Okamoto’s films to be good political criticism wrapped into popular entertainment, especially so with Sword of Doom. The code of the samurai, Bushido, is always at, or beyond the point of breaking in his films. Tsukue, in Sword of Doom kills not out of duty or necessity, but out of compulsion for violence. He does not kill reluctantly, or even passionately, but rather with cold-hearted calculation. Okamoto’s films are, for me, interesting criticisms of Japan’s martial past and an expression of Okamoto’s politics generally. I could go on and expand on that but I’ll spare everyone another page-long feeble effort at film criticism. I’ll just leave it at this, I find value in Sword of Doom beyond the base pleasures of seeing violence.

Equilibrium is a dreadfully stupid film employing hackneyed sci-fi cliches that insult the intelligence of viewers, but it also has shirtless Christian Bale flexing his biceps, and that excuses a great deal (Alas, Taye Diggs and Angus McFadyen don't take off their clothes).
That’s an extra-textual reason for liking the film, much as my enjoyment of Katsu’s performances is for Zatoichi films, and I can appreciate it as such. As I said previously, we all have films that others would question.

No, I haven’t seen it, but I find Kinski endlessly fascinating since I saw Mein liebster Feind: Klaus Kinski. However, as I understand it, his role in that film is a supporting character, and the film itself seems to get mixed reviews. I would recommend seeing The Great Silence for Kinski’s performance there.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-02-07 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The most surprising title in your collection to me is Andrei Rublev. I'm glad you liked it and Solaris. Speaking of Solaris, since you liked both versions of the film, did you also read the original book by Polish sci-fi writer Stanislaw Lem? It's very enjoyable too.

I see you have Duguay's Joan of Arc. If you like the tale, I'd recommend checking out the the prior versions by Carl Th. Dreyer (The Passion of Joan of Arc), Robert Bresson (The Trial of Joan of Arc), and Jacques Rivette (Joan the Maid), all of which I think you may find superior.

I have read Lem's book (and a few of his other works) and it's quite interesting to compare it with each movie. Soderbergh's film follows the book much closer, but Tarkovsky's film (despite an added 50 minute sequence on Earth) seems to have better captured the feel of the novel.

Also if you like Lem, try reading The Futurological Congress. It's a truly bizarre work about a society where almost every person is constantly hallucinating because of the effects from drugs in the air, water, etc.

And I have seen The Passion of Joan of Arc. I'll try to check out the other two.
Old 12-02-07, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonno2006
How the hell can you rate someones collection? Do you look at ALL the titles? Even if that person has over 400 DVDs? Should take alot of time just to sift through all those titles no?
No one has answered my question. I'm really curious as how someone has the time to look at every single title someone has. Like how would you rate my collection if i had over 600 titles? Would you look at every title i have and rate it then?

Enlighten me please!
Old 12-02-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have read Lem's book (and a few of his other works) and it's quite interesting to compare it with each movie. Soderbergh's film follows the book much closer, but Tarkovsky's film (despite an added 50 minute sequence on Earth) seems to have better captured the feel of the novel.
I like your observations here. The bigger point of Lem's book was that meaningful communication between two truly alien civilizations would be effectively impossible, and Tarkovsky pursues this line and Soderbergh does not.

Also if you like Lem, try reading The Futurological Congress. It's a truly bizarre work about a society where almost every person is constantly hallucinating because of the effects from drugs in the air, water, etc.
Thanks I'll check it out. I've read other Lem, but Solaris is my favorite to date.

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
No one has answered my question. I'm really curious as how someone has the time to look at every single title someone has. Like how would you rate my collection if i had over 600 titles? Would you look at every title i have and rate it then?

Enlighten me please!
I don't think anyone responded because nobody took your question seriously. What's so hard about looking through 600 titles? Most of the titles will be familar by their covers alone, or a brief glance at the title, and, rating isn't rocket science. You don't have to give every title a mathmatical value, then determine the mean, mode and median or anything like that to rate a collection.

I look at all the titles, do a bit more research on the one's that look particularly interesting, them make some generalizations about the collection based on the titles. Whole process can be done in a few minutes.
Old 12-02-07, 09:59 PM

This thread has seriousyly been an honor for me to make! haha
Old 12-02-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My DVD collection
Solid -A. would had been an A but you had Dogville in your collection.
Old 12-02-07, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by THFM

sheesh...SOMEONE is full of themselves haha
Old 12-03-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lemdog
Solid -A. would had been an A but you had Dogville in your collection.

That's cool. I can't say I really like Dogville, but I admire how experimental it is. And Lars von Trier was actually my favorite filmmaker for a while (around the time Dancer in the Dark came out). He just seemed like he was more willing to take chances than anyone else. And for most of his filmography, all those risks paid off. But then with Dogville, it was like he was just interested in experimenting, and whether or not the experiment paid off was irrelevant.

His last two films, Manderlay and The Boss of It All, I haven't even bothered to see yet.
Old 12-03-07, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cguardado
sheesh...SOMEONE is full of themselves haha
Yes I am and you can't stop it!
Old 12-04-07, 07:23 PM

Some New Movies:

Head of the family
Naked Gun Box Set
Back To The Future Box Set
Childs Play Box Set
Final Destination 1,2,3
Strapped
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Wishmaster 3

I bet you guys REALLY hate it now huh?
Old 12-04-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

THFM, all threads eventually die, but don't worry they go to a far, far better place. It's time to let this one go. It'll be okay.
Old 12-04-07, 10:25 PM

THFM, all threads eventually die, but don't worry they go to a far, far better place. It's time to let this one go. It'll be okay.

Agreed
Old 12-05-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aww, maybe one more? My collection, in towering jpg format stitched together from the MediaMan organizer since I don't use any of the online database sites.

I must say, I've really enjoyed reading Yakuza's commentary in this thread and there's been some interesting (to me, at least) discussion over the last couple of pages. I'll be checking out the Futurological Congress for sure...
Old 12-05-07, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Aww, maybe one more?
You waited too late for my review. I'm on my way out the door for 5 days in sunny Cancun and I don't plan to be checking this thread while I'm there.

I must say, I've really enjoyed reading Yakuza's commentary in this thread and there's been some interesting (to me, at least) discussion over the last couple of pages.
Thanks.

Hasta la vista, all. It's been fun.
Old 12-05-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as people keep coming in here to have their collections rated this thread will go on for a long time.
Old 12-05-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Anyone want to take a crack at mine? I am curious to see what people think, since my collection overlaps a lot of people who responded here.

See the link in my signature (and keep in mind, I update it frequently, new software+moving into a new house...it has taken awhile).
Old 12-05-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by THFM

It really is you who is holding this thread together

If anything it is Yakuza Bengoshi who should get credit for this thread. Not you.
Old 12-05-07, 05:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
It really is you who is holding this thread together

If anything it is Yakuza Bengoshi who should get credit for this thread. Not you.
Half of the time I see the "looking up" emoticon being used, I feel like kickin' the poster. This is one of those times.
Let the OP be giddy and happy about the thread he started Tigeress.
Cheers.
Old 12-06-07, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Anyone want to take a crack at mine? I am curious to see what people think, since my collection overlaps a lot of people who responded here.

See the link in my signature (and keep in mind, I update it frequently, new software+moving into a new house...it has taken awhile).
I give your collection a C. You have some movies I like, but a lot I don't. You like a lot of TV shows that I hate. That's why I offset it with a C.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.