Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate My DVD Collection

Check my sig for link!
Old 11-16-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd say C-. You own soul plane and 13th child.
Old 11-16-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd hardly call less than 400 DVD's a "collection", but you're on your way.

Old 11-16-07, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say C- as well, because all your films are what I would find on a shelf at Blockbuster Video...
Old 11-16-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lots of forgotten 80's movies in that collection. wow!
Old 11-16-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

C- at best
Old 11-16-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no offense but you asked for it, it's pretty damn lame.
Old 11-16-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread makes me wonder how mine fares, but I don't want to start a whole thread about it.
Old 11-16-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

THFM and Snowmaker, I don't know you and I don't know whether you actually want to see the opinions of every random person that makes their way to this thread or you simply want people to tell you that they share your tastes, but I'm going to assume you both want my honest opinion. So here goes:

THFM, you have 309 titles in your collection. I have 1131. The overlap between the two is exactly 2. Those two titles are about my least favorite in my whole collection. It'd be hard to come up with a collection of DVDs I'd dislike more than yours. So on a scale of 1 to 100, I'd rate it a one.

Snowmaker, you're collection is a little better than THFM, but not much. You and I have a handful of titles in common, none of which I really care for, and including the 2 that THFM has. I'd give you a 3 out of 100.

Hope that helps guys.
Old 11-16-07, 08:44 AM
Banned

Great collection there, especially all the classic horror movies. How on earth those others can judge your collection is beyond me. Hey Yakuza Bengoshi, I own just under 2000 dvds, does that make my collection any better than yours? He owns 309 titles so what? His collection belongs to him no one else. By the way I own many of the same titles THFM owns does that make my collection worse than yours? Lighten up.
Old 11-16-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just recommend that you stop concerning yourself with other people's opinions of your collection and buy things you enjoy.
Old 11-16-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JLBkret
Hey Yakuza Bengoshi, I own just under 2000 dvds, does that make my collection any better than yours? He owns 309 titles so what?
I don't think absolute number is relevant to the question of quality. I was using numbers to show the lack of overlap as expressed on such a large scale. If he and I bought our titles randomly we'd be likely to have more overlap than we actually do. You should have gotten that the first time, but I hope my explanation helps.

His collection belongs to him no one else.
I don't know if this is true or not. That collection could also be shared by his parents, partner, children or whomever else, but okay, say it's true. So what? What's your point? He still asked for opinions?

By the way I own many of the same titles THFM owns does that make my collection worse than yours?
Yes.

Lighten up.
I'm skipping on water.
Old 11-16-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I give it a big, fat F
Old 11-16-07, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I don't think absolute number is relevant to the question of quality. I was using numbers to show the lack of overlap as expressed on such a large scale. If he and I bought our titles randomly we'd be likely to have more overlap than we actually do. You should have gotten that the first time, but I hope my explanation helps.

I don't know if this is true or not. That collection could also be shared by his parents, partner, children or whomever else, but okay, say it's true. So what? What's your point? He still asked for opinions?

Yes.

I'm skipping on water.
I took a look at your amazing collection, so you enjoy movies like Brown Bunny, you actually think sleeze movies are better than his movies he collects? Yeah right.
Old 11-16-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I took a look at your amazing collection, so you enjoy movies like Brown Bunny, you actually think sleeze movies are better than his movies he collects? Yeah right.
That's the second time in two days someone here has questioned the value of The Brown Bunny. I'm glad my tastes in DVDs are pretty firm, or I might have to question whether they were actually on to something there. Instead, I'll just say that if seeing an actress suck on a synthetic prosthesis gets your knickers in a twist don't watch it.
Old 11-16-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't think that it's constructive to tell people that their taste in films stinks; I prefer to offer positive suggestions to broaden their horizons and offer titles of films that they might like. For example, THFM seems to enjoy genre films, particularly horror and martial arts, so he might like to buy a couple of Criterion titles: Fiend Without a Face and The Sword of Doom.

And I think that Yakuza Bengoshi is in no position to sneer at the paucity or quality of other people's collections. OK, his collection makes me drool with envy, but he owns Orson Welles's Macbeth, which was not Orson's finest hour. I'd take the Roman Polanski version over Welles's any day of the week.

And I don't think it's the notoriety of The Brown Bunny's sex scene that puts people off, but that TBB is a pretentious snoozefest that makes Last Year at Marienbad look exciting. To quote Gertrude Stein, "There's no 'there' there."

My collection is in my sig. Have at it.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-16-07 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
At least you've got City of God.
Old 11-16-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked thru it and see that we have about 38 of the same movies and same editions. I do have more of the same movies but different editions and there are some that you have that I have in my wish list. That being said, most of the movies that we seem to share are movies that I would rate on the lower end of my collection in the "veiwed or needed" column. Having a colllection the size I have means that thru the years I have picked up some movies that are of lesser quality and value to me.

All of that aside, it seems to me that you are on your way to making a fine collection for YOU. You have alot of horror movies that will never make it into my collection because I really don't like that genre. I have some Sci-Fi that will probably never make it into your collection. I REALLY like sci-fi. All this means is that different people have different tastes. You have a collection that works for you. Keep collecting.

The only thing to remember is to be willing to diversify your collection. If you read an opinion or review from someone that you trust, give that movie a try. Even if you don't generally care for the genre, try the specific movie. It may suprise you and you may become a fan. Good luck on growing the collection.

Last edited by MScottM; 11-16-07 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 09:36 AM

Well you asked for it.....

IMHO I think its pretty much crap. There are abioiut 10 to 15 films worth owning on DVD. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? Now that is just my opinion on the films.....but to someone else your collection may be golden.

Last edited by flyboy; 11-16-07 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gobear
I don't think that it's constructive to tell people that their taste in films stinks; I prefer to offer positive suggestions to broaden their horizons and offer titles of films that they might like.
That may be what you prefer, but its not what the OP asked for.

And I think that Yakuza Bengoshi is in no position to sneer at the paucity or quality of other people's collections. . . he owns Orson Welles's Macbeth, which was not Orson's finest hour.
Most of Welles' finest hours were left on the cutting room floor though no fault of his own. I find Welles' version of MacBeth to be perfectly okay. I haven't seen Polanski's version yet, but will give it a go sometime and let you know how I think they compare. Thanks for the tip.

And I don't think it's the notoriety of The Brown Bunny's sex scene that puts people off, but that TBB is a pretentious snoozefest that makes Last Year at Marienbad look exciting.
Last Year at Marienbad is exciting, and absolutely essential viewing. That's one of my favorite movies, though I too didn't like it when I first saw it. It takes some work. I highly recommend watching the documentary Dans le Labyrinthe de Marienbad in conjunction with it though. That documentary was a great help to getting into the film and got me thinking about a lot of additional elements and ways of seeing the film even beyond those covered in the doc.

As for snooze fests, I generally like 'em. Thick plots are often cover for weak technique. A thin plot is a high wire act.

My collection is in my sig. Have at it.
If I were to rate it, I'd rate it higher than the other two. However, since you've already said you prefer positive suggestions to actual ratings, I'll give one: try some more snoozefests and see if they don't grow on you. I'd recommend Solaris (1972) as a good entry point. When you're ready to go in the deep end try Satantango.
Old 11-16-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I love Solaris, and I regret not (yet) owning any of Tarkovsky's films. Thanks for the tip on Satantango.
Old 11-16-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll give you credit for the good choice of horror flicks (well, mostly), but there's a great deal of crap in there. I'd go C+ since you own The Beyond.
Old 11-16-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mostly confined to two genres, with only two films made prior to 1970. Gotta give it a D.
Old 11-16-07, 11:42 AM

Why would you care what people you never met think of your collection?
Old 11-16-07, 12:07 PM

I thank for everybody for there opinions. As for Yakuza Bengoshi I just looked at your collection, you got some nice movies in there but this is just me any movie made before 1970 is not even worth mentioning and you got lots of those movies. Plus you hate horror because horror is the stepchild of movie generes so I assume there lame to you. But to everybody else I'm glad for your opinions, but I grew up on the 80's and horror movies so that's my collection and to me it's golden. I just like to see what people would say about it.

I get the same results on other sites. Either people love my movies or hate them. Also I never met a person who came to my house and never liked any of the movies I owned so I think I'm doing something right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.