View Single Post
Old 09-20-18, 05:07 PM   #79
mrcellophane
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Mr. Cellophane's 2018 Horror Challenge List

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." --- H.P. Lovecraft

*= first time viewing
blue= personal BluRay
purple= personal DVD
green= streaming
orange= borrowed or rented BD/DVD
dark red= theatrical presentation

September 30th
01. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (Benjamin Christensen, 1922 / Sweden & Denmark / kanopy)* --- Theme Film
Christensen's "documentary" is a lurid look at the history of witchcraft and the persecution of "witches" by the church. His thesis is that supposed witches could be suffering from the early 1900s conception of "hysteria".

02. Dressed to Kill (Brian De Palma, 1980 / United States / Hulu)* --- Subset Film
Kate Miller, a troubled woman, is savagely murdered with a straight razor on an elevator, and the murderer goes after the only witness. I haven't watched much of De Palma's filmography, but I love the few that I've seen and this is no exception.

03. The Mad Magician (John Brahm, 1954 / United States)*
Vincent Price plays a wannabe magician who's thwarted by his greedy, conniving employer. Unfortunately, the theft of his newest illusion drives him to murder which begat another murder and so on. Price is good (as is Eva Gabor in a few scenes), but the film feels pretty tame compared to his other work.

October 1st
04. The Screaming Woman (Jack Smight, 1972 / United States / YouTube)*
Olivia de Havilland plays a woman who happens upon a woman who's been buried alive. Unable to dig the woman out, she tries to convince her family, neighbors, and the police but is thwarted because of a mental breakdown she recently suffered. Based on a Ray Bradbury short story.

05. Strangler of the Swamp (Frank Wisbar, 1946/ United States / AmazonPrime)*
Years ago, the male denizens of a swamp town lynch an innocent man for murder, and his vengeful spirit is picking them off one-by-one. A young woman who takes over the ferry is physically accosted by a drunken man who apologizes when another man punches him. So toxic masculinity is the real culprit!

06. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Werner Herzog, 1979 / Germany / DVD)
Klaus Kinski plays the melancholic Count Dracula who drives an entire town into madness when he shows up with thousands of rats in tow. Herzog has sad, weird take on the familiar story, and I love the atmosphere with which he imbues the film.

07. Baba Yaga a.k.a. The Devil Witch (Corrado Farina, 1973 / Italy & France)*
Surreal accidents and events happen to a photographer after she encounters an enigmatic woman named Baba Yaga. I blind bought this from Hamilton Books, and I'm so glad that I did. It's quite a trip even before you get to the creepy doll in dominatrix gear.

October 2nd
08. The Horror at 37,000 Feet (David Lowell Rich, 1973 / United States / YouTube)*
A bunch of stereotypes get onto a plane transporting an old abbey. Evil spirits take control of the plane and menace the passengers and crew with icy wind and pea soup. As the passengers descend into bickering and madness, William Shatner wonders if humanity isn't the real destructive force. (It's dumb.)

09. The Black Cat a.k.a. The House of Doom (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1934 / United States) --- Theme Film
A young couple spending their honeymoon in Hungary (as American couples do) get pulled into a revenge and the occult when they encounter Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. This film holds a special place in my heart; it was the first film I watched with my weekly Movie Night group.

10. The Raven (Louis Friedlander, 1935 / United States)*
After a retired surgeon saves a beautiful dancer, he becomes infatuated with her. Madness follows, and he sets about using torture devices based on Poe stories and a deformed Karloff to enact his revenge. Fun zaniness!

October 3rd
11. Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (Stuart Hagmann, 1977 / United States / YouTube)* --- Theme Film
A plane infested with deadly tarantulas crashes near a small farming town. They carve a path of destruction to a warehouse full of oranges and anger the town's mayor who fears for the town's economy. It's Jaws but boring and with spiders!

12. Daphne & Velma (Suzi Yoonessi, 2018 / United States / Hulu)*
Pre-Mystery Machine, Daphne and Velma investigate mysterious brain-drains at thier technologically advanced high school. The two leads are enthusiastic and give it their all, which makes up for some juvenile humor and silly dialogue. As a fan of Scooby-Doo, it was fun to see these interpretations.

13. Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965 / United Kingdom / DVD)*
A young woman descends into hallucinations and madness when left alone by her sister. She's preyed on by a couple of men which makes things worse. As a person with mental health issues, I really connected with the main character, and the surreal bleakness played on all my fears.

October 4th
14. Killdozer (Jerry London, 1974 / United States / YouTube)*
A meteorite infects a bulldozer that starts killing off the construction crew working on a small island. My favorite image is of the bulldozer hiding in tall grass bordering the workers' camp. As sill as the film is, they managed to make the equipment seem like an animal.

15. Scream of the Wolf (Dan Curtis, 1974 / United States / AmazonPrime)*
A small town is plagued by mysterious deaths that may be werewolf attacks, and Peter Graves in on the case! He tries to get his old friend Clint Walker to help hunt the animal, but he's too interested in pontificating about death and the stupidity of most humans. It's some Dan Curtis silliness.

16. Thriller: 21. "The Merriweather File" / 22. "The Fingers of Fear" (1961 / United States)*
Two episodes focused on murder mysteries. First, a dead body shows up in a philandering husband's trunk after an attempt on his wife's life. Next, a serial child-murderer is on the loose, and the police may have collared the wrong man.

October 5th
17. Transformations a.k.a. Alien Transformations (Jay Kamen 1988 / United States)*
The pilot of a spaceship has sex with an alien and then crashes on a prison planet. He seems to be spreading a plague though sexual encounters. I bought this for a few dollars since it's a Kino Lorber release, and I'm not sure it's worth that.

October 6th
18. Monster House (Gil Kenan, 2006 / United States)
Somehow, I hadn't shown this to my parents and remedied this oversight. Children are menaced by a possessed house and the old man who lives there. I've got a soft spot for this film since I followed it's development through one of the concept artists.

19. Repo! The Genetic Opera (Darren Lynn Bousman, 2008 / United States / DVD)*
In the future, everything is operatic and gothic and gritty. A young girl finds herself drawn into the world of a corporation that sells organs and elective surgeries but sends the dreaded Repo Man if you can't pay. Campy and wonderful!

October 7th
20. The Invisible Ray (Lambert Hillyer, 1936 / United States)*
Karloff and Lugosi square off as competing scientists on the hunt for a new element in Africa. Unfortunately, Karloff turning murderous and decides to get revenge after his young wife falls for another man. These 1930s films are a crazy quilt of plots.

21. Commentary*: The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980 / United States)
Featuring John Carpenter & Debra Hill. Both participants contribute a lot of stories and production details about the film. I'm a big fan of the film and enjoyed learning more about it. One highlight is the game of "who's your old girl/boyfriend" that Carpenter and Hill play.

22. Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974 / United States / kanopy)*
A crazed killer stalks the denizens of a sorority house during Christmas. While not a particularly inventive slasher (outside a couple of scenes), I liked it, perhaps because of its extremely overqualified cast which includes Margot Kidder as the resident alcoholic bitch.

October 8th
23. The Haunted (Robert Mandel, 1991 / United States / YouTube)*
A nice Catholic family is totally haunted by demons after moving into a new place. They call in the totally credible Warrens to help them exorcise the demons. When the media gets involved, the family wonders if they are worse than demons! Sally Kirkman gives a fun, hysterical performance.

24. Mystery Science Theater 3000: 9.8, "The Touch of Satan (1971)" (1998 / United States)*
With Pearl away, a babysitter makes sure Mike and the Bots are forced to watch a very stupid movie about a traveler falling for a witch with a psychotic relative running about and killing people. The movie is really bad, but the jokes in this one really landed with me.

25. Black Friday (Arthur Lubin, 1940 / United States)*
To save a friend, Boris Karloff does a little partial brain swapping, creating a man that is part passive professor, part murderous gangster. This is by far the weakest of the quartet of Karloff/Lugosi film in the box set I purchases last month. Still, it's a fun ride.

October 9th
26. Satan's School for Girls (David Lowell Rich, 1973 / United States / YouTube)*
After her sister's death, our intrepid protagonist enrolls in her sister's school to investigate. She finds bland satanists. It's a silly movie that takes itself very seriously. Bonus: it features two Charlie's Angels - Cheryl Ladd and Kate Jackson.

27. Satan's School for Girls (Christopher Leitch, 2000 / United States / YouTube)*
This remake of the 1973 movie is so 2000! The story is largely the same but with an added beefcake love interest and a couple more twists to the plot. The camp factor is heightened (including some closeups of hot-dude-torsos), but it still wants you to take it seriously. Bonus: it features Taraji P. Henson!

28. The Mothman Prophecies (Mark Pellington, 2002 / United States / DVD)*
After a personal tragedy, a reporter finds himself drawn to a some town in West Virginia. There he finds that people are seeing the fabled Mothman and have prophecies about upcoming disasters. This felt like it was striking the same horror/drama formula as The Sixth Sense but doesn't quite land either aspect.

October 10th
29. The Vampire Bat (Frank R. Strayer, 1933 / United States / YouTube)
A small town is plagued by horrible murders, and the townsfolk believe a vampire is on the loose. There's an obvious scapegoat and a romance and a comedic aunt and a suspicious doctor running about. It's one of my favorite 1930s horror flicks.

30. The Innkeepers (Ti West, 2011 / United States)*
Two employees of a closing inn investigate the spirits that supposedly haunt the place. An actress-turned-psychic and an elderly man turn up, and the duo get in over their heads. It's a low-key haunting story that I really enjoyed.

31. The Beast Must Die (Paul Annett, 1974 / United Kingdom)*
An eccentric hunter invites a host of people to his palatial estate and informed the group that one among them is a werewolf. Chaos ensues. It's a weird mix of blaxploitation, mystery, Peter Cushing, and horror that manages to be a bit boring.

October 11th
32. The Legend of Lizzie Borden (Paul Wendkos, 1975 / United States / Dailymotion)*
Elizabeth Montgomery plays alleged murderess Lizzie Borden as a stern, disagreeable woman. After her father and stepmother are murdered, Lizzie is put on trial, and we get glimpses of her life through flashbacks. Montgomery is excellent.

33. Afflicted (Derek Lee & Clif Prowse, 2013 / Canada / AmazonPrime)*
Two friends decide to go on a trip around the world despite one of them being ill. When the ill man is attacked by a woman in Paris, he starts developing strange conditions. It's effective found footage, and I really enjoyed it.

October 13th
34. The Whip and the Body (Mario Bava, 1963 / Italy / English dub / kanopy)*
Christopher Lee returns to his family's drafty castle to terrorize his relations and reignite a sadomasochistic relationship with his brother's betrothed. It's moody and gothic and over-the-top. I watched the English version on kanopy and really want to see the remastered Italian one.

October 14th
35. The Being (Jackie Kong, 1983 / United States / AmazonPrime)*
A radioactive mutant is running around a small town and dissolving people. A lot of older actors presumably get paychecks, and the main character cannot act. It's really, really bad. There's a few comedic moments that feel like they were added when the filmmakers realized how bad it was.

36. The Man Who Turned to Stone (László Kardos, 1957 / United States)*
The people running a women's prison keep using the inmates to prolong their own lives by absorbing their life essence. A prison employee and doctor are on the case to save the inmates and stop the leeches. Or course, it made me think of the privatization of our prison system.

37. And Now the Screaming Starts! (Roy Ward Baker, 1973 / United Kingdom)*
Two newlyweds take up residence in the husband's rambling estate. Unfortunately, the wife is menaced by a bloody ghost that kills anyone who tries to tell her the old family secret. It's Gothic and downbeat and garish and enjoyed by me.

October 15th
38. The Initiation of Sarah (Stuart Gillard, 2006 / United States / YouTube)*
Two sisters find out that two competing sororities have supernatural secrets and become pawns in a bid for power. This is a lot of mid-2000's fun, and Tessa Thompson shows up as a bad-ass witch.

39. Psychomania a.k.a. The Death Wheelers (Don Sharp, 1973 / United Kingdom)
A gang of bikers make a deal with dark powers and come back after committing suicide as undead psychos. George Sanders plays the main character's butler who seems to be an agent of darkness. There's a lot of frog motifs and zany suicides.

40. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Michael Carreras, 1964 / United Kingdom)
Hammer gives the Universal The Mummy a bit of a makeover and adds a greedy American businessman to the mix. This features one of my favorite cinematic mummy attacks when the creature simply bursts through a pair for French doors to get at his victim.

October 16th
41. The Devil Bat (Jean Yarbrough, 1940 / United States / YouTube)*
Bela Lugosi plays a chemist with a vendetta against the founding families of the company for which he works. I really thought I'd seen this one before, but I somehow missed it despite haunting public domain channels on YouTube. It's pretty good.

42. Burnt Offerings (Dan Curtis, 1976 / United States / AmazonPrime)*
A family moves into a creepy old house that ends up being too good to be true. Odd things start happening and the parents seem to be possessed by the house. I thought this was an effective slowburn of a ghost story. I really enjoyed Bette Davis as the old aunt whose vitality is leeched by the house.

43. The Gorgon (Terrence Fisher, 1964 / United Kingdom)
After a young man is wrongfully convicted of the murder of his pregnant girlfriend, his father and then his brother investigate a series of murders in which people are turned to stone. Cushing plays the repressed doctor trying to keep secrets, and Lee plays the robust professor assisting the investigation.

October 17th
44. The Woman in Black (Herbert Wise, 1989 / United Kingdom / YouTube)*

45. The Ring (Gore Verbinski, 2002 / United States / DVD)*

46. Scanners (David Cronenberg, 1981 / United States)*

October 18th
47. Bloodlust! (Ralph Brooke, 1961 / United States / YouTube)*

48. The Oblong Box (Gordon Hessler, 1969 / United Kingdom / AmazonPrime)*

49. The Awful Dr. Orlof (Jesús Franco, 1962 / Spain, kanopy)*

50. The Old Dark House (William Castle, 1963 / United States)

Checklist & Statistics
Spoiler:

FTVs: 42
Rewatches: 8

1920s: 1
1930s: 4
1940s: 3
1950s: 2
1960s: 9
1970s: 13
1980s: 7
1990s: 2
2000s: 6
2010s: 3

7/10 Select 10 actors:
--- Lauren Ashley Carter -
--- Brian Cox -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -
-X- Peter Cushing - And Now the Screaming Starts!
--- Bruce Davison -
-X- Boris Karloff - The Black Cat a.k.a. The House of Doom
-X- Christopher Lee - The Gorgon
--- Helga Liné -
-X- Bela Lugosi - The Raven
--- Elina Madison -
--- Burgess Meredith -
--- Sam Neill -
--- Michael J. Pollard -
-X- William Shatner - The Horror at 37,000 Feet
-X- Oliver Reed - Burnt Offerings
--- Anita Strindberg -
--- Dee Wallace -
-X- Naomi Watts - The Ring
--- Caroline Williams -
--- Ray Wise -

2/5 Select 5 recently deceased
--- Umberto Lenzi -
--- Ulli Lommel -
--- Peter Wyngarde -
--- Jack Ketchum (Dallas Mayr) -
--- Alf Humphreys -
-X- Dorothy Malone - The Being
--- John Gavin -
--- Ren Osugi -
--- Lewis Gilbert -
--- Debbie Lee Carrington -
--- R. Lee Ermey -
--- Verne Troyer -
--- Michael Anderson -
--- Janine Reynaud -
--- Jerry Maren -
--- Derrick O'Connor -
--- Tab Hunter -
--- Shinobu Hashimoto -
--- Margot Kidder -
--- Robert Dix -
--- Jacqueline Pearce -
--- Donnelly Rhodes -
-X- Fenella Fielding - The Old Dark House
--- Pasquale Buba -
--- Al Matthews -
--- Gary Kurtz -

1/2 Select 2 film composers:
--- Philip Glass -
--- Joseph LoDuca -
--- Paul Ratajczak -
-X- John Williams - The Screaming Woman

3/5 Select 5 directors:
--- Alexandre Aja -
-X- Mario Bava - The Whip and the Body
--- Larry Cohen -
-X- Jesús "Jess" Franco - The Awful Dr. Orlof
--- Lucio Fulci -
--- William Malone -
--- Sergio Martino -
--- Hideo Nakata -
-X- Roman Polanski - Repulsion
--- Jee-woon Kim -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Nigel Booth -
--- Screaming Mad George -
--- Steve Johnson -
--- Stan Winston -

1/2 Select 2 producers:
--- Larry Cohen -
-X- Bryan Foy - The Mad Magician
--- Michael Hertz -
--- Jeanette Volturno -

1/2 Select 2 writers:
--- Dan O'Bannon -
-X- David Cronenberg - Scanners
--- Dennis Paoli -
--- R.J. Robertson -

21/30 Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
-X- *3-D Film - Monster House
--- Agoraphobia -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on The 50 Best Horror Movies You’ve Never Seen -
-X- Based on a True Story - The Legend of Lizzie Borden
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -
-X- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax - MST3K: The Touch of Satan
-X- Classic Hammer Film - The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
--- Comedy / Spoof -
-X- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film - Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
-X- Cryptid Cinema - The Mothman Prophecies
-X- Death by: Explosion - Killdozer
--- Director or Writer Cameo in Own Film / Film Adaptation -
--- Distributor / Studio: Code Red -
--- Documentary -
--- Drunk Horror -
-X- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space - Transformations a.k.a. Alien Transformations
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen -
-X- Film From TCM's October Schedule - The Devil Bat
--- Film Title Drop -
--- Flashback Horror -
--- From a Basil Gogos Painting -
-X- Found Footage - Afflicted
--- Frankenstein -
-X- Ghost / Haunting - Strangler of the Swamp
--- Giallo -
--- Ouija Board -
--- K-Horror -
-X- Killer / Evil Animal - Scream of the Wolf
--- Killer / Evil Child -
-X- Killer / Evil Doll - Baba Yaga a.k.a. The Devil Witch
-X- Made-for-TV Movie - The Woman in Black
--- Mummy -
-X- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror - Repo! The Genetic Opera
--- Nation of Origin: Thailand -
--- Nazi -
--- Prom -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Scarecrows -
-X- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Dressed the Kill
--- Takes Place in a Hospital -
-X- Takes Place on a College Campus or High School - Satan's School for Girls (2000)
-X- Takes Place on a Holiday - Black Christmas
--- Television -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
--- Vampire -
-X- Werewolf - The Beast Must Die
-X- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Satan's School for Girls (1973)
--- Wilhelm Scream -
--- With Commentary -
-X- With Two or More Horror Legends - The Invisible Ray
--- Zombie -

1/1 Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary": Completed
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
-X- John Carpenter - The Fog (with Debra Hill)
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

1/3 Watch films in at least three languages:
-X- German - Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

2/3 Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Stars an Arquette (Rosanna, David, Patricia, Richmond, Alexis) -
--- Features music by a rock band -
-X- Was made in the 1960s - Bloodlust!
-X- Features an investigation by Ed and Lorraine Warren - The Haunted
--- Was written by Stephen King -
--- Features snow -
--- Has the words "Don't" in the title -
--- Was directed by David DeCoteau -
--- Stars Brinke Stevens -
--- Takes place at a strip club -
--- Features a nun or priest -

5/6 Select 6 decades of film history:
--- Pre-1930 -
-X- 1930 - The Vampire Bat
-X- 1940 - Black Friday
-X- 1950 - The Man Who Turned to Stone
--- 1960 -
-X- 1970 - Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
-X- 2000 - The Initiation of Sarah
--- 2010 -

1/3 Select 3 from the following horror film tropes:
-X- Jump Scare - The Innkeepers
--- No Cell Coverage -
--- The Abandoned Place -
--- The Vengeful Spirit -
--- Death By Sex -
--- The Final Girl -
--- Flickering Lights -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1943 (75th) -
--- 1968 (50th) -
--- 1993 (25th) –

1/1 Select 1 from the following anniversaries: Completed
-X- 25th Anniversary of Vincent Price's Death - The Oblong Box
--- 50th Anniversary of Night of the Living Dead -
--- 100th Birthday of Evelyn Ankers -
--- 200th Anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -

2/4 Select 4 ratings:
-X- G - Daphne & Velma
-X- PG - Psychomania a.k.a. The Death Wheelers
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
--- Unrated -
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

1/3 Venture Into the Literary World:
-X- Read a Horror Novel or Novella - Cujo by Stephen King
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

Last edited by mrcellophane; 10-18-18 at 09:01 PM.