View Single Post
Old 09-04-18, 07:57 AM   #57
Indy24LA

Re: The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Indy's 10th Annual Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2017 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2016 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2015 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2014 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2013 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2012 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2011 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2010 Halloween/Horror Challenge
Indy's 2009 Halloween/Horror Challenge

Goal= 25
* indicates first time viewing

September 30
1. The Changeling (1980) A very atmospheric and creepy setting and mood is almost ruined by George C. Scott. Not that he's a bad actor, but c'mon man, he's the scariest thing about this movie.

October 1
2. The Amityville Horror (2005) Good luck finding couples counseling that covers spousal possession. Sure the original was pretty slow, but the remake is on steroids. So if the original is Bobby Bonds, this one must be Barry Bonds.

October 2
3. Hell Night* (1981) Your run of the mill, or giant mansion with secret passages, teens trapped in a unfunhouse. Linda Blair was adorable, but this might have been the whitest movie ever.
4. 976-Evil* (1988) This starts off fairly interesting, but then devolves into a pretty bad special effects-palooza. But this is how we dealt with unintimidating bullies in the 80s, we made pacts with demons. #GoodOldDays

October 3
5. Child's Play (1988) The apex of killer doll movies. Shakespeare could not have made this any better. And a we all owe Chucky a huge debt for killing off My Buddy.

October 4
6. American Horror Story: Hotel S5 E8: The Ten Commandments Killer*, S5 E9: She Wants Revenge*- Weirdos, freaks, and psychos check in, but they don't check out.
7. Ghost Stories* (2018) Stop the press, this was really good. Think a British Tales From the Crypt (yes, I know that the 1972 movie is literally a British Tales From the Crypt, so eat a biscuit); it's a little smarter, a little more nuanced, and not as punny.

October 5
8. Humanoids from the Deep* (1980) Take some 50's rubber suited monsters, sprinkle in some 80's nudity and gore, then add a dollop of modern evil corporate misdeeds and set to purée. Out comes Humanoids from the Deep, a movie that Brett Kavanaugh would call "inspirational".
9. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) Do you like... basghetti? I always ask that of all my prey, I just like the sound of it. This is a simple, yet brilliant movie that shows vampires are just like us, only funnier.
10. Truth or Dare* (2018) Listen, I actually enjoyed this, it was an interesting idea with a slew of uninteresting characters. And why are pretty people such douche tacos? Or did I just answer my own question.

October 6
11. Child's Play 2 (1990) This was a pretty good continuation of the series, but it misses Andy's mom, she was the heart and soul of Child's Play. And why are kids such douche tacos? Also, Kyle might be the coolest chick in the whole world, she can light my homecoming float on fire anytime.
12. Pumpkinhead (1988) Such an obvious social-political methaphor for our times by liberal Hollywood. Pumpkinhead is clearly Donald Trump, summoned by conservative evangelicals to get revenge on fancy, forward thinking, and "cool" city-folks. But hey, it had Amy Farrah Blossom Fowler.
13. Halloween (1978) A classic and one of my favorite movies of all time. Just glad they are finally making a sequel to this.
14. The Stepfather (1987) I knew John Locke as 'The Stepfather' until Lost. A nice, quiet little slasher that depends on Locke's performance and he delivers in spades (and two by fours).

October 7
15. The House on Sorority Row (1983) So this is not bad, but it's just an amalgam of what we've all seen before. I want to see a movie where the freaky, mutant child actually escapes his destiny and becomes an accountant or maybe a podiatrist. I just hate how they are all stereotyped into psycho killers.
16. Prophecy (1995) Interesting movie that is so 90's it hurts. Unfortunately it's aged as badly as Virginia Madsen. The sequel should have been all about Viggo's Lucifer, he was the best part of this flick.
17. Marrowbone* (2018) Asks the eternal question, who's crazier, the nutjob, or the person that loves the nutjob? Otherwise it was a pretty good period piece semi-spooky tale.

October 8
18. Ash vs the Evil Dead S3 E1: Family*, S3 E2: Booth Three*, S3 E3: Apparently Dead*- If you like your humor sophomoric, your characters/demons cartoony, and your blood red (or black), then this is the show for you.
19. The Shining (1980) Don't get me wrong, this is a classic and I love it. But there are some folks that are a lil too into it. It's okay to love The Shining, just don't LOVE The Shining.
20. Piranha (1978) I haven't told anyone this, but I have always rooted for the piranha in this. Poor little fishies just wanted a seat at a Cracker Barrel buffet.
21. Slaughter High (1986) You had me at Caroline Munro. I know you're not suppose to like any of these characters, but come on. They were like human gremlins (the slimey green ones, not the cute furry ones).
22. The Houses October Built 2*(2017) Part documentary about cooler haunted attractions than anything I've ever seen and part mockumentary about a realistic buncha friends who are stalked by internet trolls. This one ended better than the last, but it's the same movie all over again, laser tits or not.
23. Night of the Living Dead (1968) The 60's melodrama really works with the black and white and camera angles. I used to identify with the people trapped in the house, now I am more team zombie, at least you know exactly what you get with them.

October 9
24. Hellraiser (1987) I need to apologize right now, this is the first time I am watching this classic for the horror challenge. I honestly don't know why it took this long, please forgive me, I am merely human. That out the way, this is so freaky, and I mean that in a good way. Hellraiser looks at the Saw franchise and says, "Awww, that's cute. Now sit down and watch how it's done."

October 10
25. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988) This has more of everything (except an original story), more gore, more screaming, more Pinhead backstory, more jogging through hell. It's not bad, but dear lord it's not good. And the Cenobite smackdown was kinda anticlimactic, Pinhead got jobbed.

October 11
26. House on Haunted Hill (1999) Way better in '99 than today, but still has some fun to offer. And like with Chris Kattan, you either love this remake or hate it.

October 12
27. Fright Night (1985) I love this movie like many of you love your country, in an oppressive way. Like I think there should be a law passed that makes you stand for the opening AND closing credits. This is just pure, unadulterated 80's fun. All the B actors brought their A game for this one.

October 13
28. Return of the Living Dead 2 (1998) The first Return of the Living Dead is a classic horror movie with a lot of comedy. This one tries to be a comedy with a lot of horror. So the horror part is fine, but the comedy... well, like Chris Kattan, it tries way too hard.
29. Return to House on Haunted Hill (2007) Mash up between House on Haunted Hill and a Tomb Raider movie, but somehow it works. The SFX are better than the previous movie and the (pretty) characters are more likeable.
30. An American Werewolf in London (1981) I can't believe puffa jackets are back in. Anyway, this is a fine piece of werewolf cinema that's a simple story of why you should never leave the road. Why did they get off the mother scratchin' road? And why no "Werewolves of London" song, too on the nose?
31. Haunted Mansion (2003) A mixed bag, the mansion was wonderful and the sfx was pretty good for it's time. But the story was generic and the humor was off the mark. It must have taken a lot of work and skill to make Eddie Murphy that unfunny.
32. Penny Dreadful S1 E1: Night Work*, S1 E2: Séance*- So far... so great. This is a smart, modern update to some classic characters. And by modern, I mean lots of sex and gore.

October 14
33. Ash vs the Evil Dead S3 E4: Unfinished Business*, S3 E5: Baby Proof*, S3 E6: Tales from the Rift*
34. Jigsaw* (2017) Jigsaw for Attorney General... am I right troglodytes? This is an average entry to the Saw franchise, nothing very memorable or original, but not bad. It's basically an escape room run by H.H. Holmes.
35. Teeth (2007) This is a #HimToo nightmare, which does make it pretty enjoyable. Pure satire that goes after everyone equally and has the most uncomfortable gore that a sexual assaulter could imagine.
36. Final Destination (2000) I really feel sorry for pretty people in horror movies. They are nothing but targets for death, and I mean that literally in this flick.
37. Hereditary* (2018) If you want crazy done right, you call Toni Collette. If I went out with her, would definitely wear the brown pants. This is all kinds of weird, thoughtful weird, shocking weird, and confusing weird. Almost forgot, naked old people weird.

October 15
38. American Horror Story: Hotel S5 E10: She Gets Revenge*, S5 E11: Battle Royale*
39. The Burning (1981) Teenagers were so much older and less attractive in the early 80's. I am glad we have come so far meow. This is a surprisingly not bad camp slasher flick with Holly Hunter and George Costanza.
40. Ash vs the Evil Dead S3 E7: Twist and Shout*, S3 E8: Rifting Apart*, S3 E9: Judgement Day*
41. Trilogy of Terror* (1975) First two stories are weak Twilight Zone rejects, but that third one was worth the price of admisson. That lil Zuni doll has got spunk and makes Chucky look like a Cabbage Patch Kid.
42. Abominable* (2006) I do not believe that douche bag Otis ever went to nursing school. This rather silly killer Squatch movie is a fun little 'where are they now' of 80's 'stars'. It's a kinda funny movie, with some not so bad suspenseful moments, that makes you ask, "why does the wrong chick always get naked?"
43. The Haunting of Hill House S1 E1: Steven Sees a Ghost*, S1 E2: Open Casket* Well raise my rent, this is some good old fashioned spooky storytelling. This pulls you in like that man dressed as a clown pulled me into his panel van with ice cream and Pokemon cards.

October 16
44. The Haunting of Hill House S1 E3: Touch*, S1 E4: The Twin Thing*

October 17
45. Penny Dreadful S1 E3: Resurrection*, Ash vs the Evil Dead S3 E10: The Mettle of Man*

October 18
46. Final Exam* (1981) I don't know what's the scariest thing about this poop bag of a movie, the acting, the script, the wardrobe, or the hair. Watching this celluloid skid mark should be considered hazing.
47. Evilspeak* (1981) Lil Clint Howard battles bullies, alopecia, and the IRS with the help of his IBM model number 5150 computer and Satan. I mean, who do you root for here? Side note, why were the nerdy underdogs in these movies so creepy and unlikeable? I don't condone the onscreen bullying, but I kinda understand it.

Last edited by Indy24LA; 10-18-18 at 05:51 PM.