View Single Post
Old 09-02-18, 04:10 AM   #29
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Oct 19th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

59.) Blood Diner (1987) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Where has this movie been my entire life? I love this sort of 80's horror hyper spoofery. It's a high bar set by the likes of Return Of The Killer Tomatoes and Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburg. This movie is about 2 brothers who run a diner where the main ingredient is people. And they are trying to bring an ancient goddess to life in a Frankenhooker-esk host body. Silly bloody fun.

(4 out of 5)

60.) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: Its been quite some time since I have seen this one. Probably mostly due to it's cringy fan base. And it is a good movie but not really worthy of all the praise it gets. It is also aged quite a bit in comparison to more modern claymation efforts like Coraline. Another thing that struck me after years of seeing these Jack and Sally toys is that Sally is almost never smiling in the movie, she always looks concerned. I never see any concerned sally toys. Where is movie really excels is the song, which are fantastic. Also Sally's constant attempted murder of her creator was a fun little sub plot that I had forgotten about entirely. But I guess the most important this is that my daughter was captivated and the 3D looked great. One step below Hocus Pocus as a holiday classic.

(4 out of 5)

61.) Second Commentary For Nightmare Sisters (1988) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: I know what you're thinking, SterlingBen, is this really the 4th review in so many years of Nightmare Sisters? And I will have you know I watched eBay for months to pick up this particular OOP DVD just for this non-carried over audio commentary featuring Michelle Bauer, Brinke Stevens and Richard Gabai. And it was totally worth it. I am a huge fan of Michelle Bauer and her husky voice was a pleasure to listen to for the length of this track. Richard Gabai also seems like a fun guy but he leaves about midway thru and the track gets way less flirty and much more serious and introspective with his departure. Also there is a lot more repeated information in the second half of the track for anyone who has seen Screaming In High Heels which if you are hunting down this 15 year old release instead or in addition to the Vinegar Syndrome blu then you probably have. And the best part is there is even one more non-carried over audio commentary on this disc! But I might see that one for next year.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 20th

62.) Evil Toons (1992) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Should have been called Evil Toon as there was just the one. We see him twice but he is otherwise always inhabiting a host for budgetary reasons. The rather flimsy plot of this movie revolves around a group of attractive and frequently disrobed girls who are spending the weekend cleaning out a mysterious murder/suicide house so it can be sold. David Carradine enjoys an ironic death, Dick Miller is watching a film he stars in on TV and Michelle Bauer pops in and out of her top. As far as low budget early 90's USA Up All Night fodder goes it is an enjoyable movie. Have reasonable expectations and there is some fun to be had with this one.

(3.5 out of 5)

63.) Poltergeist (2015) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: This tepid remake of the 1982 classic has a bland family moving into a similarly situated house. It is a step down from the original in every way, the actors, the effects, the creative changes almost all for the worst. This movie does have 1 thing going for it, we see the trip in to save this films Carol Anne equivalent and it is a stylishly interesting spirit filled doppelgänger version of the house. Its very similar to what Stranger things would do a year later with the Upside Down. Oh and there is a Christmas Vacation squirrel moment but yeah there was no need to make this and what they did make isn't really worth watching over the original.

(2.5 out of 5)

Oct 21st

64.) Blood: The Last Vampire (2009) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: This is a live action anime adaptation green lit most likely due to the success of Blade but vastly superior in quality. You replace Westly Snipes with a hot asian girl (frequently in school girl uniform) and all the effects and action with lower grade effects and action and you get Blood: The Last Vampire. An odd thing while watching is that its set in Japan but you can tell it's not filmed there, you have a Korean actress playing a Japanese character speaking english and all the other actors are just kind of C grade in quality. I bought this because it was a cheapie liquidation DVD and it has this blurb on the back "...like Kill Bill with a vampire bite". I assure you this is not like Kill Bill with a vampire bite, if that's what you want to see go watch From Dusk Until Dawn. This is like Blade made by first time film maker anime freaks.

(2 out of 5)

65.) Dagon (2001) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Ever watch a movie and think to yourself; if only this had come out a few years later? That is exactly what I was thinking about this one but earlier. The movie shot exactly the same in the 80's by an Italian crew would have been amazing. I missed Dagon the first time around due to their less than stellar box art and for the first little bit of this movie I was regretting picking it up. But the farther you get in you do start to like the annoying lead. One thing that really struck me is this felt like I was watching someone play Resident Evil 4 in real life with no weapons. The eerie town, the weirder occupants, the moral quandary of 'do I have sex with this mermaid?', this film had some good bones just lacked a bit in execution.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 22nd

66.) Halloween (2018) (Theater)*

My Thoughts: Going to call this rebooting 2.0; where you ignore the sequels and make this one a direct sequel to the original. It's what Terminator 5 did and now what Terminator 6 is doing as well. Picking up 40 years after the original Halloween this one has, now grandmother, Lori Strode as a crazy lockdown survivalist trying to reconnect with her family when they decide its a good idea to move Michael to a new facility the day before Halloween. Slasher havoc ensues. Michale's ability to keep going after getting shot, stabbed, beaten with a crowbar & run over by a car (all in this one movie mind you) breaks my suspension of disbelief too much. He is 61 in this movie and I think it is time to let him go. Not that this wasn't a capable slasher, easily better than everything that came out after Halloween III (tentatively as I don't really remember 4 & 5 and I haven't seen the original reboot sequel), but for me the magic is dead in regards to Michael Myers. I have had the reboot sequel in my 'to watch' pile for some time and I think I need to give that a spin and see how these compare. I do feel like I liked this much better than the original reboot, the Jamie Lee angle being the winning aspect of this one.

(3 out of 5)

67.) Psycho Cop Returns (1993) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: This is one of those rare gems that I caught a few scenes from when I was a kid on HBO. At the time it was terrifyingly amazing. Tons of nudity and violence, I felt legitimately frightened of Psycho Cop. For years and years I looked for it again but never found this now (in my young mind) mythical horror movie. Cut to me blind buying this from Vinegar Syndrome, I mean come on it's called Psycho Cop and it all comes rushing back. I finally own the movie that got away. I feel like no one has ever said that about Psycho Cop Returns. So how does 30 something me like this movie that preteen me held in such high regard? I love it but for different reasons, well not entirely. The movie seems shockingly violent for a 90's slasher and there is a ton of nudity. The Die Hard-esk office building setting is a unique location for a slasher. And the tone of the movie that played so deadly serious to me as a child was hilarious this time. Now I need hunt down the original which I disgracefully haven't seen!

(4 out of 5)

68-70.) Crazyhead (2016) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: Recommended for me because I watched Ash Vs The Evil Dead. This British show about a couple of unlikely lady demon hunters runs a fine like of being both classier and more raunchy than Ash's fight. There is a few very interesting rules to this universe and even more interesting how the demons can be not necessarily all evil. And while I really liked the characters and overall plot of this miniseries it felt like there was a significant amount of retread even in just 6 episodes. It's left open for pickup into a series and even though I liked it I think this would have played better if trimmed down into a movie.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 23rd

71.) The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: I love these Argento Giallo, I usually wait 5-10 years between repeated viewing (mostly due to the rate that I acquire new titles) so I am always reactivated by the mystery. I really need to start looking into diving deeper into this sub genre. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage is Argento's directorial debut, its not quite as finely crafted as his later work but he still does frequently capture the beauty and suspense that has made him so famous of the years. I do wonder what kind of job that guy had where he could afford to just stay a few extra weeks in Italy to help solve a murder, but hey you had to do something to fill the time before the internet. An interesting (or perhaps boring to most) side note is that the company who released this blu is local to me and I have really thought about going into their shop front to apply for a job. Maybe I'll buy them if I win the Powerball.

(4 out of 5)

71.) Halloween II (2009) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: I think I actually liked this a bit better than the new Halloween movie. True it is grimier and way way more graphic but what it is not is more of the same. This one is a direct continuation of the 2007 Zombie reboot that I admitibly wasn't really a big fan but the bones were used well here to craft a somewhat above average slasher outing. Lori Strode's paranoia and mental stability issues feel much more real in this one, Loomis turned slimy profiteer was great and even their halloween party was better in this movie than the new one. And not just because of all the boobs (although that did help) but because people actual dressed up as characters from movies as they would in real life. I marveled while watching the new one that everyone at the halloween dance had such non-specific costumes on, it was distracting how non-distracting they were trying to make it. Michael as a giant mute hobo bear feels actually kind of real in this one, he has a very Kane Hodder Jason vibe compared to his more geriatric equivalent in the newest film. Also there was a lot of surprising star power in this movie, every other scene it seemed like I was surprised to see someone. I am not sure if I would have liked this movie as much if I watched it directly after the movie it is sequel to but as a more abstract version of the characters I did enjoy it.

(3.5 out of 5)

72.) Family Guy S17E04: Big Trouble In Little Quahog (2018) (Streaming)(Wild Card #1)*

My Thoughts: Was this a Halloween episode? I'm not so sure it was. In this episode Stewie delights in shrinking Brian down to action hero size only to have to shrink himself down to order to rescue him, the plot thickens as their attempt to re-embiggen themselves results in making them microscopic. I smiled from time to time but the magic of this show is dwindling. Not terrible though, a nice pallet cleanser to Halloween II (the second one). Oh I almost forgot, the big take away here is this.

(3 out of 5)

73.) Warlock: The Armageddon (1993) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: Big fan of the first Warlock movie and it has been quite some time since I have seen this one. This time the warlock is out to collect 5 mystical stones so that he can open a portal to hell during a 6 day eclipse. And the movie is about as well thought out as that little plot description implies. Obviously the reason you are watching is to watch the Warlock kill people who happen to have these stones in unique and interesting ways, sort of a Wishmaster prototype going on here. And in that aspect this is a mildly entertaining movie, but the whole spiritual warriors wrap around and terrible CG really bring this property down. They tried to go too mystical Beastmaster-esk with this property. As an add on to the original in this set though it is worthwhile, additionally I have never seen the 3rd Warlock so that may be interesting...

(2.5 out of 5)

74.) Rawhead Rex (1986) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: Man oh man do I wish I flipped my DVD of this at the hight of it's OOP-ness. I was under this crazy notion that it was never going to be released again. Maybe I should look at my other OOP crazy priced titles... but what happens if I really want to watch My Bloody Valentine, Fright Night 2 or Cold Dog Soup again though?!?! Anyways, as a sucker for ancient evils this is right up my alley. A man researching pre-Christianity sites in Ireland comes afoul of archaic monster brought back to life by a farmer attempting to remove a rather large rock. The rubber monster suit runs a fine line between decent and ridiculous and unlike other monster movies they really wanted to get their moneys worth out of this suit. You get to see the monster a lot and very well lit. Lots of cheesy mayhem and a little mystery in a less frequented setting make this one a winner in my book.

(4 out of 5)

75.) Commentary For Rawhead Rex (1986) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: This track was a little too subdued for my taste. The moderator did a good job of keeping the talking going but the director has a very sleep inducing voice and not really all that much in the way of things to say. Sure I enjoyed hearing that the little girl in the film was terrified of Rex and that they came up with games for them to play together, that one was a suggest but overall this track hit me as a bit too complainy about how we didn't have the budget we thought we were going to have. We get it guy it was a low budget movie, regale us of cheeky stories about how you had to feed the cast from the day old shop or buy film ends from another shoot, don't just moan about it. Even though I didn't particularly care for this track I also admit to getting a little singed of the genre at this point. I am sure in the future that I will give this track at least one more chance.

(2.5 out of 5)

Oct 24th

76.) Full Moon High (1980) (VHS)

My Thoughts: Welp, that's why I haven't watched that in 20 years also damn I'm getting old. The movie follows a young high school football star in the 50's who gets bitten by a werewolf. He wonders the globe for a few decades and then decided to return to his old high school to finally finish that pivotal game. Although now it's the late 70's and his high school has become a much rougher place than he remembers. The laughs are few and far between here but there is a few nuggets once he returns to school in the second act. Also Alan Arkin comes in at the last minute to some success. Overall though the attempts at levity are more annoying that humorous.

(2 out of 5)

77.) Blair Witch (2016) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: You know I remember kind of liking Book Of Shadows as a teen. This Blair Witch sequel gives you some predictable twists in the woods along with some freaky visuals but I got to say it didn't really give me the frights. They added too much paranormal and killed the whole fear of the unknown and made the house haunted as shit which is ok but then its really not The Blair Witch anymore. It was ok but I will stick to the first 2.

(3 out of 5)

Oct 25th

78.) Anthropophagus (1980) (DVD)

My Thoughts: I love the mysteriously deserted town at the opening of this movie, it is a set up that has stuck with me for years. It's something that Dagon tried to do but wasn't nearly as successful at. So as a mysterious, what's happening movie I enjoy this title but lets be honest the cat is out of the bag as to the big pay off here and always has been with the shocking finale so boldly placed on every promotion item and movie cover in perpetuity. It's a cash grab and it probably worked but it kills the potential shock value of the scene when you are literally waiting for it to happen. I suppose the appropriate usage for this film would be for horror power users like us to acquire it and queue it up for an unsuspecting viewer. I am going to have to bucket list that one. Also speaking of bucket list I have got to add the amazing village shot in this film to it.

(3.5 out of 5)

79.) Don't Breath (2016) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: No movie has ever made me so cognition of my own breathing. I was constantly seeing how quiet I could breath while watching this and even holding my breath sometimes, it is very nearly an interactive horror movie. The badass space marine from Avatar plays a badass blind guy getting robbed by some teen fodder in this little rollercoaster of a movie. You go from 'well its his right' to 'they were trespassing' to 'ok I can't support that' in a hurry in this movie. Very enjoyable one off, I am a bit apprehensive about next years sequel though.

(4 out of 5)

80.) Fraiser S05E03: Halloween (2016) (Streaming) (Wild Card #2)*

My Thoughts: Entertaining enough episode of Fraiser set around a Halloween party and a pregnancy scare. A you would expect it is a classier Halloween party than most of us have ever gone to, the costume theme being literary figures. And of course the dullard is in the costume I also would have chosen for such a soiree. An entertaining challenge aside.

(3 out of 5)

81.) Sorority House Massacre (1986) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: It's a bad Halloween knockoff with the word 'massacre' in the title. You know exactly what you are getting when you go to watch this an it delivers. One thing it over delivers on is the 80's. Man the terrible clothing in this movie just burns your retinas. The plot if it really even matters is about a man who escapes from a mental institution so that he car return home to kill. His little sister having been adopted young after his initial family killing spree has visions followed by revelation upon his return. It's decent stuff for the 80s slasher genre but it's no Slumber Party Massacre.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 26th

82.) Blackenstein (1973) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: I normally always go wit the longer version but that quality disclaimer made me decide to go theatrical with my first viewing of this classic. Blackenstein as an idea is great, IRL it leaves a little something to be desired. This movie is set in Dr. Steins mansion where he is doing some highly dubious medical experiments involving RNA injections. A scored lab assistant messes with said injections for an African American quadriplegic turning him into the film's namesake. What I did like about this movie was it's musical choices which were very blaxploitation and way different than any other scores I have listened to thus far in the challenge that the rather fragile state of being of several of the ladies tops. But overall I was fairly disappointed in this property, the idea of a blaxspoitation horror movie I dig but this movie wasn't successful at either genre.

(2 out of 5)

83.) Homicycle (2014) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: My expectations for this one were way too high. This is student film in quality, one of those 'I could do that' movies. But there was a little bit of charm here, never quite made it to Hobo With A Shotgun levels but it was passable and just, some over the top violence and some so bad it's good acting. I kinda liked it. Don't get me wrong it's trash but for that certain viewer... For everyone else probably watch Cyclone or I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle.

(2 out of 5)

84.) Hell and Back (2015) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: x

(x out of 5)

Oct 27th

85.) The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina S01E01-02 (2018) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: Hey it's the girl from The Blackcoat's Daughter! Lots of soft focus

(x out of 5)

86.) I, Zombie (1998) (VHS)

(x out of 5)

Oct 28th

87.) Don't Knock Twice (2016) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

88.) Petrified (2006) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: I was onboard for a low budget mummy horror flick, I was even more on board when the setting was an all girls mental heath facility specializing in nymphomania but it quickly became apparent that this is just a ripoff of Time Walker. Alien mummy creepily watching girls lez out being the height of this movie. From there it's all kind of down hill and very representative of what Full Moon has become over the years. And they sure did stretch to hit that 70 minute mark, including a mid credit sequence explaining that the executive producers all spent $100 on Full Moon merchandise. Also that Medusa effect was pretty rough.

(2 out of 5)

89.) Nightmare At Noon (1988) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Is this a sequel to something? I feel like there are callbacks here I am missing out on. This movie was categorized as horror when I bought it at Target and on IMDB and it's put out by Scream Factory but it really feels more just like a low budget 80's action movie. A good one but horror is bit of a stretch. An evil scientist taints the water supply of a small town an insanity inducing substance and then sits back to watch the chaos. It's up to our group of orange juice and beer drinking heroes to save the day. This really was a fun B Action flick, plenty of explosions and violence and the best they could do on a helicopter chase at the end, I would have really liked to have a commentary track on this one. Also George Kennedy trying to run is hysterical. This is only the 3rd hard B movie I have seen him in (Demonwarp and Death Ship being the others) and I think I am going to be on a particular lookout for him specifically in the future.

(4 out of 5)

Oct 29th

90.) E.N.D. (2015) (DVD)*

(x out of 5)

91-95.5) iZombie S01E01-13 (2015) (Streaming)*

(x out of 5)

96.5) Knock Knock (2015) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

Oct 30th

97.) Best Of The Worst: Halloween Spooktacular (2015) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: Of everything that Red Letter Media puts out Best of The Worst is my favorite and the best Best of the Worst episodes are usually the Halloween specials. This year was no exception, movies reviewed were Carnivore, HauntedWeen, and Black Roses. There is something cathartic about watching terrible movies with friends and endlessly making fun of them. BOTW distills that experience just right. I especially like it when they get drunk during the reviews and this is one of those episodes, they actually have to stop and resume filming at a later date as everyone has too much. They are just a fun group of guys making what I would make if I was a content creator.

(4.5 out of 5)

98.) Satan's Baby Doll (1982) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: This misleadingly covered and titled film is about a girl possessed by the spirit of her recently departed mother and out to get revenge and try to rekindle her lesbian relationship to her disabled brothers (or son's) hot nun caretaker. The movie is really just an excuse to have these 3 women naked, a lot, in a nice house. Researching this movie a bit turns up that there is a Thriller style XXX version as well and of course I now immediately regret owning this nerfed version. Nice to look at but lacking in substance.

(2.5 out of 5)

99.) The Mummy 3D (2017) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: I know there is a lot of hate for this film but you know I think I could have been down for this Dark Universe Universal Monsters reboot. Sure there were some mistakes here in casting and plotting and not having Brenden Frazier as a cameo doing a “mummies, I don't do mummies” was a huge misstep. But I found this to be fairly enjoyable. The adventuring in the world of antiquities, secret tombs, hidden treasures, very Indiana Jones kind of stuff, yes maybe too many CG rats… and birds… and spiders... But I liked this nearly as well at the 1999 Mummy with the exception of there being no real chemistry between the leads and the set up at the end was overly optimistic at the chances for a Dark Universe franchise. Surely something that’s not a comic book can find success in this field. The 3D was meh, your moneies is probably better spent on the 4K release.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 31st

100.) Adams Family (1991) (VHS)

My Thoughts: I bought this movie at McDonalds as a kid and I used those golden arches on the box as a gateway drug to get my daughter to watch this with me. This movie got some replay in my house throughout my youth due in no small part to my crush on Christina Ricci (let it be known she is older than me). And watching it today was pleasantly familiar, a wonderful screen adaptation of a TV show. My VHS is a little worse for the wear and in desperate need of an upgrade if just to finally see all the fine detail in the Adams Family manor. Never going to give up this tape though, if only for it's weird lineage. We saw a girl dressed up as Wednesday while we were out trick or treating tonight and immediately I thought about getting a Gomez outfit for next year. But lets face it, I would probably be more amped to dress as Fester.

(4 out of 5)

Nov 1st

101.) A Little Bit Zombie (2016) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: It took me about a quarter of the movie to get into it, but once it finally clicked I didn't want it to stop. A Little Bit Zombie follows a group of friends on a pre-wedding retreat when the groom becomes zombified. But the more friendly I want brains but don't want to eat people zombified. The bride to be and grooms sister decide the only thing to do is to dress slutty and pick up dirt bags so that he can eat. Again a rough start but a genuinely funny low budget zomcom. I am going to have to make some time in the future for that cast commentary as well.

(3.5 out of 5)

Checklist:
Spoiler:
Select 6 decades of film history:
--- Pre-1930 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
-x- 1950 - The Maze (1953)
-x- 1960 - Carnival Of Souls (1962)
...............Blood Of Ghastly Horror (1967)
--- 1970 -
-x- 1980 - Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985)
...............Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985)
...............Ghoulies II (1988)
...............Jaws 3D (1983)
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
-x- 2010 - Cult of Chucky (2017)

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
-x- PG - Carnival Of Souls
............Jaws 3D
-x- PG-13 - Ghoulies II
-x- R - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
-x- Unrated - Cult of Chucky
--- M -
-x- GP - Blood Of Ghastly Horror
-x- Approved - The Maze

Watch films in at least three formats:
-x- First format, (DVD), (Carnival Of Souls).
..................................(Ghoulies II)
..................................(Blood Of Ghastly Horror)
-x- Second format, (Blu-Ray), (Lifeforce (Director's Cut)).
...........................................(Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut))
...........................................(The Maze)
...........................................(Jaws 3D)
...........................................(Cult of Chucky)
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Select 10 actors:
--- Lauren Ashley Carter -
--- Brian Cox -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- Bruce Davison -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Christopher Lee -
--- Helga Liné -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Elina Madison -
--- Burgess Meredith -
--- Sam Neill -
--- Michael J. Pollard -
--- William Shatner -
--- Oliver Reed -
--- Anita Strindberg -
--- Dee Wallace -
--- Naomi Watts -
--- Caroline Williams -
--- Ray Wise -

Select 5 recently deceased
--- Umberto Lenzi -
--- Ulli Lommel -
--- Peter Wyngarde -
--- Jack Ketchum (Dallas Mayr) -
--- Alf Humphreys -
--- Dorothy Malone -
--- John Gavin -
--- Ren Osugi -
--- Lewis Gilbert -
--- Debbie Lee Carrington -
--- R. Lee Ermey -
--- Verne Troyer -
--- Michael Anderson -
--- Janine Reynaud -
--- Jerry Maren -
--- Derrick O'Connor -
--- Tab Hunter -
--- Shinobu Hashimoto -
--- Margot Kidder -
--- Robert Dix -
--- Jacqueline Pearce -
--- Donnelly Rhodes -
--- Fenella Fielding -
--- Pasquale Buba -
--- Al Matthews -
--- Gary Kurtz -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Philip Glass -
--- Joseph LoDuca -
--- Paul Ratajczak -
--- John Williams -

Select 5 directors:
--- Alexandre Aja -
--- Mario Bava -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Jesús "Jess" Franco -
--- Lucio Fulci -
--- William Malone -
--- Sergio Martino -
--- Hideo Nakata -
--- Roman Polanski -
--- Jee-woon Kim -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Nigel Booth -
--- Screaming Mad George -
--- Steve Johnson -
--- Stan Winston -

Select 2 producers:
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Bryan Foy -
--- Michael Hertz -
--- Jeanette Volturno -

Select 2 writers:
-x- Dan O'Bannon - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
............................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- David Cronenberg -
-x- Dennis Paoli - Ghoulies II
--- R.J. Robertson -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
-x- *3-D Film - The Maze
......................Jaws 3D
-x- Agoraphobia - Carnival Of Souls
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on The 50 Best Horror Movies You’ve Never Seen -
--- Based on a True Story -
-x- Based on a Novel - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
................................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Classic Hammer Films -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Cryptid Cinema -
-x- Death by: Explosion, 2 - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
........................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
........................................Ghoulies II
--- Director or Writer Cameo in Own Film / Film Adaptation, 2
--- Distributor / Studio: Code Red -
--- Documentary -
-x- Drunk Horror - Ghoulies II
-x- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
.............................................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen -
--- Film From TCM's October Schedule -
--- Film Title Drop -
--- Flashback Horror -
--- From a Basis Gogos Painting -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
-x- Ghost / Haunting - Carnival Of Souls
--- Giallo -
--- Ouija Board -
--- K-Horror -
-x- Killer / Evil Animal - Jaws 3D
--- Killer / Evil Child -
-x- Killer / Evil Doll - Cult of Chucky
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: Thailand -
--- Nazi -
--- Prom -
-x- Psychological - Carnival Of Souls
..........................Cult of Chucky
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Scarecrows -
-x- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Cult of Chucky
-x- Takes Place in a Hospital - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........................................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........................................Cult of Chucky
--- Takes Place on a College Campus or High School -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Television -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
-x- Vampire - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Werewolf -
-x- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Cult of Chucky
-x- Wilhelm Scream - Venom
-x- With Commentary - Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
-x- Zombie - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Stars an Arquette (Rosanna, David, Patricia, Richmond, Alexis) -
--- Features music by a rock band -
-x- Was made in the 1960s - Carnival Of Souls
--- Features an investigation by Ed and Lorraine Warren -
--- Was written by Stephen King -
--- Features snow -
--- Has the words "Don't" in the title -
--- Was directed by David DeCoteau -
--- Stars Brinke Stevens -
--- Takes place at a strip club, 2 -
-x- Features a nun or priest - Carnival Of Souls

Select 3 from the following horror film tropes:
-x- Jump Scare - The Maze
........................Cult of Chucky
--- No Cell Coverage -
-x- The Abandoned Place - Carnival Of Souls
--- The Vengeful Spirit -
-x- Death By Sex - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...........................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- The Final Girl -
--- Flickering Lights -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1943 (75th) -
--- 1968 (50th) -
--- 1993 (25th) –

Select 1 from the following anniversaries:
--- 25th Anniversary of Vincent Price's Death -
-x- 50th Anniversary of Night of the Living Dead - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
......................................................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- 100th Birthday of Evelyn Ankers -
--- 200th Anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 2 -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

Theme Nights:
Spoiler:

-x- 9/30: Criterion Crossover
...............Carnival Of Souls
-x- 10/01: In 1968 the Recently Dead Get Up and Walk. A Copyright Suddenly Vanishes.
...............Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...............Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
The Social Commentary Makes Everyone Talk. - They're Coming to Get You, Barbara! The 50th Anniversary of Night of the Living Dead -
-x- 10/02: A Critic-Compiled List of Favorites that Left an Indelible Imprint
It's Full of Cult, Classics, Obscure ...Damn, Out of Print! - Studies in Terror -
...............The Maze
-x- 10/03: Just When You Thought It Safe To Go Back in the Water...
Along Come the Italians Bringing the Regurgitated Slaughter! - Jawsploitation -
...............Jaws 3D
-x- 10/04: Claustrophobia is the Least of Your Worries...
...............The Bone Yard
These Demonic Death Boxes Will Drop You 100 Stories! - Elevator Horrors -
-x- 10/05: Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies -
...............Deadtime Stories
-x- 10/06: Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Cloths That Smell of Death!
Call In the Military, And Someone Tell Michael--Lay Off the Meth! - Zombies -
...............The Curse
...............Day Of The Dead: Bloodline
-x- 10/07: Monster Kids Unite! Chiller Theatre Brings the Fright! - Universal Monster Movies -
...............The Monster Squad
-x- 10/08: Creepy with an Atmosphere of Paranoia & Dread
It's Mysteriously Lurking in the Shadows ...Or Under Your Bed! - Atmospheric Horror Films -
...............The Blackcoat's Daughter
-x- 10/09: The Decade of Decadence Aged and Fermented
Full of Big Hair, Grace Jones, and the Totally Demented! - Cheesy '80s Horror -
...............Nightmare Weekend
-x- 10/10: Candles Lit. Throats Slit. - Bloody Birthday Parties
...............Happy Death Day
-x- 10/11: Canines with Hydrophobia, Swamps with Creatures From the Abyss,
and Cabins Deep Within the Woods ...Hey, Cujo's Taking a Piss! - Dogs / Bogs / & Logs -
...............Lost After Dark
-x- 10/12: Left Deserted and Alone in a Post-Apocalyptic Earthbound Hell
Steer Clear of the Mutant Hellspawns & Things Will Turn Out Just Swell - Apocalyptic Horror -
...............Dead Shadows
-x- 10/13: Itinerary of Hostel Intent. Railway of Unnerving Descent. Airport Security of Hellish Torment. - The European Passport to Terror -
...............Village Of The Damned
-x- 10/14: Original Soundtracks in the Key of Death That Are Eclectic In Every Way
Just Don't Play Them Backwards, Or the Demons Will Come Out to Play - Rocktober Blood - The 100 Greatest Horror Soundtracks -
...............You're Next
-x- 10/15: High Caliber Films Determined By Mass Vote
Some Are Distinguished, Others Go Right for the Throat - IMDB Highest Rated Horror -
...............I Saw The Devil
-x- 10/16: It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises! - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers -
...............Jack The Ripper
x- 10/17: The Beaches Are Closed Early This Season...
Visitors Being Sucked Into Oblivion Could Potentially Be the Reason - Blood on the Beach -
...............Oasis Of The Zombies
-x- 10/18: Fresh As That Chemically-Induced New Car Smell...
These Films for the Modern Age Will Unleash a Little Hell - Modern Horror Films -
...............The Haunting Of Hill House
-x- 10/19: Rhonda's the Quintessential Blonde with Lots of Curves
Also There's Gilbert Who Just Plain Gets On Your Nerves - The Horrors of USA Up All Night -
...............Blood Diner
-x- 10/20: R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Retired, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Always Be Admired! - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Prism Entertainment / Video Stores -
...............Evil Toons
-x- 10/21: Bela's Belated Blood Sucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza! - Vampires -
...............Blood: The Last Vampire
-x- 10/22: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 6 -
...............Psycho Cop Returns
-x- 10/23: Newscasters Are Beaming Emergency Broadcasts On Every Station...
The Radioactive Venus Space Probe Crash Spells Total Eradication! - Horrorspondents: You're On The Air! -
...............The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
-x- 10/24: Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse! - Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon -
...............Full Moon High
-x- 10/25: 72 Films of Depravity, Sex, and Gory Delights...
Banned by the BBFC; They're Too Bloody Uptight! - Video Nasties 35th Anniversary -
...............Anthropophagus
-x- 10/26: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Frankenstein / Mad Doctors
...............Blackenstein
-x- 10/27: Mass Marathon of the Damned (9) Presents...
The Texas-Bred Host with Crazy Drive-In Totals Returns Anew
And the World's Foremost Horror Movie Mag with Gratuitous Horror Fu! -
They Live! The Return of Joe Bob Briggs -&- Fangoria Magazine -
...............I, Zombie
-x- 10/28: Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights.
Summoning the Dead by Candlelight. - Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances
...............Don't Knock Twice
-x- 10/29: Elaborate Games Played In a Puzzle-Ridden Room of Death
Orchestrated By a Sadistic Dying Killer Gasping For His Last Breath - Live or Die? Make Your Choice - Mind Games
...............Knock Knock
-x- 10/30: Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell! - Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
...............Satan's Baby Doll
-x- 10/31: Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head! - All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror -
...............The Adams Family
-x- 11/01: Comedy Crossover
...............A Little Bit Zombie

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-16-18 at 12:03 PM.