View Single Post
Old 09-02-18, 03:10 AM   #28
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Sep 30th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Carnival Of Souls (1962) (DVD)

My Thoughts: Dredging up the Carnival of Souls mainstay again for my Criterion theme hit. I am going to have to invest a little in a wider variety of Criterion horror since this theme doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I last watched this for the 2013 OHMC and mused about opting for the cheapo DVD version compared to the Criterion. Since then Criterion has released a Blu-Ray and I have acquired a 4K tv and I think I could see myself upgrading this, it would be nice to really see what is going on. It's a shame that there is not a historian commentary track on that release though. I previously noted this as "required viewing material for any horror fan but not necessarily required owning material", and that is an opinion I still hold. This isn't going to do it for Joe Sixpack between viewings of The Conjuring 5 and the 4th Halloween reboot but is an interesting view for devoted fans of the genre. Also oddly relaxing to watch compared to something more mainstream.

(3 out of 5)

B1.) Hofbrau: Oktoberfest (Germany)

My Thoughts: Shedding it's usual green bottle for a brown one this year didn't do anything to make this Hofbrau taste any better. This somewhat unholy Heineken Oktoberfest hybrid has a sharp crisp hoppy scent. It still has that indicative green bottle zing to it with a somewhat unpleasant lingering bitter aftertaste. It's light and progressively drinkable as it warms but I am not a fan. Perhaps if paired with some cheese...

(2.5 out of 5)

Oct 1st

2.) Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Lifeforce, the best genre movie that no one has ever seen. Finally upgraded my old picture boxed DVD to the new Shout Factory Special Edition. This is my first viewing of the Directors Cut and I have to say I am hard pressed to see where the addition is, everything feels equally as important. It's a quarter hour well integrated. This is a movie I can't recommend enough, it's got everything; derelict alien space ships, vampires, zombie mayhem, gratuitous nudity and of course a choice roll for Sir Patrick Stewart. Can't wait to listen to the commentaries next!

(5 out of 5)

3.) Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Slightly above average moderated track featuring the director Tobe Hooper. This track shined when it was Hooper talking about working with Patrick Stewart or him more frequently talking about Matilda and various aspects of her undress. An interesting aside was the story how they had originally had her completely waxed thinking it would make her seem "less naked", an interesting and very contemporary to the period idea. Only thing that detracted a bit here was the moderator was just a little too overly enthusiastic and seemed to frequently just gush about the movie and didn't seem to have the track planned out at all. I would have loved to have a more historian take on this property. I am oddly curious about this track by the.. costume designer? I mean that can't be worth wild... right? Perhaps something to look forward to in the future.

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 2nd

4.) Ghoulies II (1988) (DVD)

My Thoughts: Oh man, its been so so long since I have seen this that it was almost like a first time view for me. I have had this flipper disc since the dawn of DVD and can remember going back to watch it several times but always falling asleep during the first Ghoulies and then I guess never continuing onto the second movie. My memory of the first Ghoulies was a somewhat sorcerer at home with puppets affair. This takes the puppets, moves them to carnival and cranks the quality and the cheese way up. The Ghoulies sneak into a nearly shut down haunted house (which is nicer than any haunted house I have ever been in) and proceed to run amok and its great. I mean it's terrible but it's great, low budget 80's gold. I would very confidently peg this as the best second tier Gremlins Rip off.

(4 out of 5)

5.) Blood Of Ghastly Horror (1967) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: I let my daughter pick the movie and she picked Blood Of Ghastly Horror. Obviously for the amazing cover art as opposed to the reason I bought it (it's peculiar release and re-release and re-release history). For anyone not in the know, this is the movie that was famously released by director Al Adamson 3 times, each successive release adding additional newly shot scenes that don't really integrate well. The movie is a muddled mess but my daughter says "I think it was a great movie, that was very great and scary" in reality she was bored and wandered off most of the time, only returning when kill music started playing. Aside from being hard to follow the movie is also poorly shot and acted, in fact this would be a contender for a 1 out of 5 normally but it's unique history and its at least interesting constant incongruity deserve at least another half star bump.

(1.5 out of 5)

6.) The Maze (1953) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: An otherwise forgettable movie saved from continued obscurity due only to its having been filmed in 3D. The movie has a great set up; it's about a man who inherits an eccentric uncles mysterious castle. After going there to see whats what he posts a letter breaking off his engagement and essentially removing himself from society. His bride to be is having none of it though and decides to see first hand whats going on up at that castle. The mystery of the castle makes for an effective plot device but the reveal is such a huge let down as to be laughably bad, compelling only in the fact that it is based on what was once accepted science. For 3D enthusiasts only.

(2.5 out of 5)

Oct 3rd

7.) Jaws 3D (1983) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: I never knew everyone hated this movie growing up. It seemed just as relevant a sequel to me than any other franchise but for the fact I hardly ever saw it, maybe 2-3 times in 30 years. Watching it now I still think its a good "sequel" and if we are being entirely honest it's one of the more entertaining of the Jaws movies, not in quality but in that things are constantly happening and we have young happy characters with way less of the introspective drama. Similarly to The Maze I also bought this for the 3D and also watched it in 2D so my daughter could enjoy. So I can still only guess that the effects work better in 3D, I am sure I will revisit it sometime, because in 2D they don't work. They are weird and somewhat off-putting. But a sexy mother McFly and a young Dennis Quaid having fun in an ever so slightly futuristic (for the time) Sea World makes for a passable film in my book.

(3 out of 5)

B2.) Clown Shoes: Octofest German-Style Märzen Ale (Massachusetts)

My Thoughts: x

(x out of 5)

Oct 4th

8.) Cult Of Chucky (2017) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Everyone said the last Chucky movie was a return to form and finally good again. That was not an opinion that I also held, it wasn't terrible but was bland. This one however even with it's story arc continuation from curse was a step up. Sole survivor of last movie having been blamed for the crimes of the previous movie finds herself locked up in an insane asylum. The cleanest and most stylish insane asylum I have ever seen, like 'I wouldn't mind if my house looked like that' stylish. They bring in a Chucky doll for therapy and you can probably mostly cobble the rest together yourself. This one played much better for me than Curse, I even laughed at a few of the jokes (especially the 4th wall ones) and was awed by some of the over the top gore in the Unrated version. The narrative does start to fall apart in the final act when it's tied back into the series as a whole but it is a step in the right direction. And at least they are still doing sequels instead of reboots.

(3.5 out of 5)

9.) Hell Fest (2018) (Theater)*

My Thoughts: This movie is standard slasher fair, it has group of young college students that go horror themed park where they are picked off one by one by the one person there that isn't acting. It's passable as a slasher but thats not really why you are watching it, you are watching it for setting. This vast and amazing horror theme park that is better than anything you will ever go to. At least I can only imagine that that is the case comparing this movie to horror events I have gone to here in Oklahoma. It scratches that horror itch, and them some. Also loved the ending sting.

(3.5 out of 5)

10-12.) Ash Vs. The Evil Dead S01E01-10 (2015-2016) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: Loved the continuation of Ash's narrative. And smarmy Ash as a now dirty old man really works for the character. Evil Dead IV has Ash inadvertently summoning the evil again and out on a mission to stop it. I had planned to wait and watch the next two seasons till after I (most likely) bought them this upcoming Black Friday but after revisiting this I don't think I can wait. I have to find out how Ash's bad choices turn out. Only real quibble is I wish he had dropped a line or two about going back in time to fight the Deadites... maybe in the next 2 seasons.

(3.5-4.5 out of 5)

13.) The Bone Yard (1991) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: You ever look at a poster for a movie for years and have this vision in your head of exactly what it's going to be, and then you watch it and your head explodes? That was this movie. This movie starts out with the weirdest cast, people who would never peg to headline a film and they are in what feels like an episode of Murder She Wrote for the first act. Things quickly turn a lot more Revenge of Billy The Kid as the movie progresses in the most fun way. I picked up the old Cult Collectables DVD from the dawn of the format not knowing that there was a Blu-Ray release on the horizon but I think this is something worth an upgrade. In fact pretty much everything released from that label really worked for me, too bad they went under.

(4 out of 5)

Oct 5th

14.) Deadtime Stories (1986) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: My expectations for this 80's horror anthology were waaaaaaay too high. This felt acted and paced like a movie for kids but then had these odd sexual sequences that felt more like they were in their for time as opposed to exploitation. It made The Willies look like Cat's Eye, skip it. The highpoint was literally the opening credits, I even went back to watch them again and am now going to have to download that song. But it is going to be quite some time before I ever revisit the bulk of this picture.

(2 out of 5)

Oct 6th

15.) Day Of The Dead: Bloodline (2018) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: Nothing more sets you up for failure than doing a low budget remake of a beloved classic. There was no way the hard ass military leader of the compound was going to even come close to comparing to an on the edge of sanity Joe Pilato. Or the Bub equivalent played by the lead singer from That Thing You Do. The idea behind this movie is to be a remake of Day in the same way as the successful Dawn remake in 04. And while I am fairly forgiving when it comes to zombie movies the wooden acting and the changes made to the zombie mythos really killed this one for me.

(2 out of 5)

16.) The Curse (1987) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: The Curse stars a young Will Wheaton as a boy living on a farm when a meteor crashes contaminating the groundwater and causing everything and everyone to go crazy. Its hard to tell if this is a bad movie or if it's intentionally cheesy. There are a lot of acting choices that are hard to watch, approaching Troll II levels of quality, add to that some pretty bad effects and you would think initially that this one was a clinker. But there is something oddly watchable about this one. It's almost like I am watching a play or a tv show, something very amateur but genuine.

(3 out of 5)

Oct 7th

17.) Monster Squad (1987) (DVD)

My Thoughts: I didn't discovered this movie until I was an adult and as such never really got into as much as I knew I would have as a kid. That is something I am rectifying this time though as I made sure my daughter was available to watch. Love that we get most of the Universal classic monsters in here and some great 80's adventure and songs to boot. That reminds me I need to add "Rock Until You Drop" to my collection. It does sometimes veer a little too much for kids (like Dracula taking the time to blow up some kids tree house with dynamite) but it's got a few things for adults too (Doesn't count?!?!). I look forward to repeated viewings of this title as my daughter grows up and maybe it will even gateway some actual Universal classics for her.

(4 out of 5)

18-20.) Ash Vs. The Evil Dead S02E01-10 (2016) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: I wasn't really a fan of the first half of this season. Ash's sad ostracization and expulsion from his home town after the events at the cabin detracted a little bit from the asshole I love, gave him to much reason to be the man we know, also it was depressing. Now the last 2 arc are something I can get behind. We have the genre classic; stuck in an insane asylum and maybe the whole series is in my head! And a 80's time traveling reboot attempt. They made the last 2 episode sets almost seem like 2 little movies and I thought that worked well for the show. One thing that it is getting hard tome creative with is the ultra gore. There are two gore moments that make you go wow in this season but watching this straight thru desensitizes you in a hurry.

(3-4 out of 5)

Oct 8th

21.) Venom (2018) (Theater)*

My Thoughts: Not nearly as bad as the internet would lead you to believe. People as so quick to forget the dark times, namely any super hero movie that came out before 2008. Venom struck me as a particularly average super hero movie, but still enjoyable and certainly a step up from the oddly slender Venom of Spiderman 3. One is left feeling that there is a lot of missing elements here (and probably quite a bit of fun cut when minds were changed from R to PG-14) but it's an enjoyable ride. I liked the evil Elon Musk as a villain even though it culminated in a predictably derivative hero vs similar larger creature. I wouldn't mind this Venom being part of the MCU but he is almost too nice and I can't really see him decided that Spiderman must die. Decent DBox track and I look forward to picking up the 3D blu here in the future (maybe as an extended cut Sony?).

(3 out of 5)

22.) Cube (1997) (DVD)

My Thoughts: Good ol' Cube, a staple of the Sci Fi Channel in the early days. Cube has a great premise; put a group of people inside a giant puzzle box with traps. Will they work together? Will they go crazy? Maybe a little of both? I spent a lot of time thinking about this movie in the late 90's. It's pretty dated now and my DVD is a dreaded picture boxed presentation of it but it is still an entertaining watch and a sci-fi classic in my book. Also the movie that Resident Evil totally ripped off.

(4 out of 5)

23.) Cube˛: Hypercube (2002) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: It's Nick from Forever Knight! Loved the progression of his character, in fact most of the characters in this one were somewhat more interesting than the original but they went way overboard with the sci-fi this time. The thing that was the most interesting about the first one was that it was practical, not that anyone would but that it technically could be built. This one has alternate timelines/physics/CG traps and is just much less based in reality than the first movie. Not that those things don't make for some entertaining TV, it's just less than it's predecessor as most sequels are.

(3 out of 5)

24.) Angel Heart (1987) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Mickey Rourke plays a perpetually boozed up and sweat drenched private investigator hired to find a man out of time. But the closer he gets the more people wind up dead. I really liked this movie and the reveal. Interesting take on Voodoo and mysticism intermingled with a few other belief sets. Thank you to whoever mentioned this on the board, I am sure it made it's way on my Wishlist during this challenge some years ago and now into my brain. Probably the most interesting movie set in the 40's that I have ever seen not based on WWII.

(4 out of 5)

25.) The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: If you liked The VVitch but hoped for a more contemporary setting, this is the movie for you. This is a slow burn murder/demon mystery set in a deserted girl boarding school with the two girls and few staff members remaining during winter break. And even though the setting is very familiar this doesn't feel like any other girls reformatory you have seen in other horror movies, the film maker does a great job of sucking all the life out of this place and making it so desperately barren. I reminded me of the The Thing in that way and it does a good job of making the reveals very creepy. It is something you have to be in the right mood for, no sounds, no distractions otherwise it will not play, but you get it in that right setting and it is very effective.

(4 out of 5)

Oct 9th

26.) Commentary For The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Very slow laid back track, matching in tempo with the film. Some interesting remembrances here about working with the actors and maybe a hair more light shed on the plot. But the track did lack a bit of spice and I would have loved at least one other person on it, preferably an actor.

(3 out of 5)

27.) Nightmare Weekend (1986) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: What the fuck did I just watch? So…. A rich scientist has invented a futuristic computer program that uses large flying baoding balls (the Chinese meditation ball bearings) to control the mental state of animals. His crazy assistant wants to use the balls on people and invites several couples to the mansion they do their work out of and has the balls make everyone have sex (for seriously like half an hour) and then kill everyone. Oh and there is an AI sock puppet… Its nearly incomprehensible but it does deliver on the violence, boobs and the 80’s so at least it wasn’t boring. I just.. I just don’t know. I think I liked it?

(3.5 out of 5)

28.) The Purge: Election Year (2016) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Continuing with the more action centric style of the second Purge movie Election year focused on the political assassination attempt of an anti-purge presidential candidate. Loved the sexy assassin squad and the ever so slight sci-fi-ness of the world. Similar to Mayhem the no-consequenses nature of narrative is intreating but I fear I have far too many quality enemies to not have to bunker up on Purge day.

(3.5 out of 5)

29.) Burial Ground (1980) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: This is the first time I have watched this film since my very first OCHM. One thing I really noticed this time as compared to when I watched it 8 years ago was that castle setting, so fancy, even a little run down as it was. Burial Ground is not an especially good film but it has made it's self a must watch in the genre due to it's over the top gore, odd dubbing and super weird incestual scenes. Did I really need to upgrade this to Blu-Ray...?

(3.5 out of 5)

Oct 10th

30.) Mayhem (2017) (4K UMD)*

My Thoughts: I kind of loved this movie. Glen from The Walking Dead plays a ground down corporate suit thrown under the bus for someone else mistake. Just as he is being forcibly thrown out of the building the entire office is placed under quarantine as a mild form of The Crazies virus sweeps the staff. Glen teams up with Samantha Weaving (who I am seeing in everything lately) and fights his way to the top floor Dredd style. Loved the style, musical choices and of course the no consequences day dream about sticking it to the man is extremely cathartic. Only negative about this movie is you do kind of see the sides of the story but it's a fun story.

(4.5 out of 5)

31.) Frankenstein's Castle Of Freaks (1974) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: Hey it's the DVD that Chad helped me sang for $0.96 shipped! I probably should have made a better choice with that coupon though. First off Elvira, she is of course the reason one would buy this movie, these Movie Macabre's are never good but man this one seemed especially bad. Or perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood. All the ingredients were here; Frankenstein-esk creatures, copious nudity, a lusty dwarf but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe if the Elvira scenes had been clear? Did they do that for style make her look like a VHS transfer or is this from a VHS transfer? It was a little disappointing, I am teetering back and forth on wither to spend the money to get one of these legit Thriller VHS tapes with Elvira just to see how those stack up. On Frankenstein's Castle Of Freaks I recommend skipping it or at least getting the double pack if you are really wanting the Elvira.

(2 out of 5)

32.) Happy Death Day (2017) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: I saw this for the 2017 OHMC and while I don't usually rewatch non-Marvel movies so close to the original viewing I couldn't pass up watching the one again. Also there was nothing else in my 'to watch' pile that was birthday centric and it was the subset choice, so I kind of had to. What's new to say this time around? The disc comes with an alternate ending that while it does have a fun wrap around isn't quite as strong as the ending they went with. Really with we had a lead actress commentary. The movie its self holds up for me and I am very down for the planned sequel scheduled for next Valentine's day.

(4 out of 5)

Oct 11th

33.) Lost After Dark (2015) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: This Post-Stranger Things 80's set cash in follows a group of students who duck out during a school dance and steal a bus so that they can go stay the night at a cabin in the woods. Their bus never makes it though. This movie is appropriate paces, propped and set but is completely ruined by the terrible terrible acting. Even from headliner Robert Patrick who just feels like he is reading off cue cards. Generic lone murder family survivor picks off the stranded teens one by one but it's never really that interesting outside the 80's props. And I am a sucker for nostalgia projects.

(2 out of 5)

Oct 12th

34.) The Nun (2018) (Theater)*

My Thoughts: Jump Scare: The Movie. This 5th movie in the Conjuring universe is starting to get a hair thin. But we at least get a travelogue horror with this one. Set following WWII this tale is about an ancient evil sealed by the Holy-ness built atop it... until now. There was lots of creepiness here but I never really felt it like I did in The Conjuring and to a lesser extent its sequel. The scares were too frequent and too over the top, they lost their ground in reality (says the guy talking about a Ghost Nun movie). I know it's not super uncommon but the MacGuffin here felt right like it was out of Demon Knight (even house they use it) and otherwise this movie borrows heavily from Argento's The Church. Not a bad movie and I loved the cast but could have used a little more polish.

(3 out of 5)

35.) 31 (2016) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: I liked the script flip on this one, I came in expecting another Sheri Moon and Capitan Spaulding torture porn outing. But I was elated to find our usual suspects as the victims this go around. This time we are following a group of, still unpleasant, carnies as they travel to the next town to preform their shows again. They are besieged and captured just in time to be pitted against an escalating assortment of killers for the amusement of a bunch of rich weridos. There was something about no one being normal in this that just made it play better for me than Zombie's previous two outings. A littler less visceral perhaps but a lot more palatable.

(3.5 out of 5)

36.) Dead Shadows (2012) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: Another one of those sneaky French horror movies. I don't know how these things keep getting me. I am not opposed to a good foreign film but French horror for the most part doesn't really connect for me. This one is about an introverted IT phone support guy (with an awesome room) who must overcome his fears of being in public to woo the girl. Also just about that time there is an alien invasion. The goopy hide inside you kind of aliens. The CG in this movie seems to be about a decade older than the film, I never really liked any of the characters and overall just didn't really find it a compelling watch. Beware fellow bargain hunters, I know it is tempting with that super low price and the Scream Factory logo on the side but this one is a solid pass.

(2 out of 5)

37.) Here Alone (2016) (Streaming)*

(x out of 5)

38.) The Ring (2003) (DVD)

(x out of 5)

Oct 13th

39.) Village Of The Damned (1960) (DVD)

(x out of 5)

40.) Hocus Pocus (1993) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: The 90's kids Halloween movie. I live everyone else in my generation have seen this probably 10+ times, It was played on ever channel on loop growing up during Halloween. There is just enough in the way of horror staples and decent effects here to work for genre fans but not too much as to scare off those who can't handle a horror movies. It might seem a little too slick now but growing up everything looked so real, and then when I did grow up there was SJPs performance to enjoy. Good first time view for my daughter and helps easy my conscious a little after her watching perhaps too much of Cult Of Chucky and Burial Ground.

(4 out of 5)

41.) Commentary For Village Of The Damned (1960) (DVD)

(x out of 5)

42.) Commentary For Hocus Pocus (1993) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

Oct 14th

43.) You're Next (2011) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

44.) Commentary for You're Next (2011) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

45.) Ghostkeeper (1981) (Blu-Ray)*

(x out of 5)

46.) Commentary For Ghostkeeper (1981) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: One of the actors slips up and reveals commentary directs here, she was told 'don't be too honest'.

(x out of 5)

47.) Split (2016) (4K UMD)*

(x out of 5)

48.) Mostly Ghostly (2008) (DVD)*

My Thoughts: A young amateur magic finds a gateway to a.... demon realm(?) in his basement. He then soon starts seeing ghosts and befriending them only to have said demons out to get said ghosts. Also they want to release evil ghost into the world on Halloween? It was terrible. Acting, plot, effects, all terrible. But I have got to say it did transfix my 4 year old. She seemed just as interested in this as I would a good Giallo. That being said it was sub-TV quality and even a huge step down from the other R.L. Stine movie I got on clearance and watched last challenge.

(1.5 out of 5)

Oct 15th

49.) I Saw The Devil (2010) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: One of the most beautiful yet shockingly violent movies in my collection. This title has been languishing in my 'to watch' pile for about half a decade, looking back I picked it up under the old Best Buy Trade And Save program (man I miss that promotion), and finally escaped for highest rated IMDB theme night. It's about a police officer who's fiancé is murdered and he sets out for revenge. Murderer played by the amazing actor that was the lead in Old Boy and heralded by the director from Tale Of Two Sisters this one is a must see and an early contender for me for best of challenge.

(4.5 out of 5)

Oct 16th

50.) Jack The Ripper (1959) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: A more classic take on Jack The Ripper. This kind of movie is not really my bag but I am a sucker for limited edition items so I had to pick one up this last Black Friday. This movie feels much like an earlier 30-40's affair with just a hair more to the violence and sexuality then something done at that time. The old timey London setting was spot on and there was one particular scene where our mains go to a establishment of ill repute in the bad part of town and watch a can can show that was fascinating. Having only seen more modern slicker versions of the can can I wonder how close this was in historical accuracy. The movie was passable but a bit of a bore, not something that I plan on replaying anytime soon.

(3 out of 5)

51.) Cargo (2016) (Streaming)*

My Thoughts: A solid low budget zombie movie that tweaks the mythos just enough to be interesting but not enough to be off-putting. Martin Freeman plays a father who has been bitten and now must find someone he can trust to leave his child too before it is too late. Australian outback is a great setting for the zombie apocalypse and yeah I think the Aborigines probably would be just fine. Freeman give a fantastic performance and even though the movie sounds like a real downer it's not. One bit I particularly liked was the red-cross style distributed kits on what to do if you have been bitten with tools and maps of high contagion areas, a fantastic little detail. Society stuck around just long enough to try to get a grip on the situation. Good watch.

(4 out of 5)

Oct 17th

52.) Oasis Of The Zombies (1982) (VHS)*

(x out of 5)

53.) The Birds (1963) (Blu-Ray)

My Thoughts: One would be hard pressed to say anything new about The Birds at this point. Sure the effects are a little dated in places and the science is a bit... But it is a classic that has stood the test of time. The weird interpersonal stuff, the mounting fear that Hitchcock creates out of a flock of birds. It's just so foreboding, that final cut back to the Jungle Gym, the way the gas just keeps spreading and spreading, the door. Its been a bit since I have seen it and I was surprised at just how long and brutal the attack scenes are, they just keep going and going and not in a bad way. Is this the first time a home is boarded up and laid siege to in film? There is a lot of small featurettes on this disc but one glaring hole is the lack of a historian commenter on this movie. I wonder, will people be saying this same thing in 60 years about The Meg?

(4.5 out of 5)

Checklist:
Spoiler:
Select 6 decades of film history:
--- Pre-1930 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
-x- 1950 - The Maze (1953)
-x- 1960 - Carnival Of Souls (1962)
...............Blood Of Ghastly Horror (1967)
--- 1970 -
-x- 1980 - Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985)
...............Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut) (1985)
...............Ghoulies II (1988)
...............Jaws 3D (1983)
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
-x- 2010 - Cult of Chucky (2017)

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
-x- PG - Carnival Of Souls
............Jaws 3D
-x- PG-13 - Ghoulies II
-x- R - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
-x- Unrated - Cult of Chucky
--- M -
-x- GP - Blood Of Ghastly Horror
-x- Approved - The Maze

Watch films in at least three formats:
-x- First format, (DVD), (Carnival Of Souls).
..................................(Ghoulies II)
..................................(Blood Of Ghastly Horror)
-x- Second format, (Blu-Ray), (Lifeforce (Director's Cut)).
...........................................(Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut))
...........................................(The Maze)
...........................................(Jaws 3D)
...........................................(Cult of Chucky)
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Select 10 actors:
--- Lauren Ashley Carter -
--- Brian Cox -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- Bruce Davison -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Christopher Lee -
--- Helga Liné -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Elina Madison -
--- Burgess Meredith -
--- Sam Neill -
--- Michael J. Pollard -
--- William Shatner -
--- Oliver Reed -
--- Anita Strindberg -
--- Dee Wallace -
--- Naomi Watts -
--- Caroline Williams -
--- Ray Wise -

Select 5 recently deceased
--- Umberto Lenzi -
--- Ulli Lommel -
--- Peter Wyngarde -
--- Jack Ketchum (Dallas Mayr) -
--- Alf Humphreys -
--- Dorothy Malone -
--- John Gavin -
--- Ren Osugi -
--- Lewis Gilbert -
--- Debbie Lee Carrington -
--- R. Lee Ermey -
--- Verne Troyer -
--- Michael Anderson -
--- Janine Reynaud -
--- Jerry Maren -
--- Derrick O'Connor -
--- Tab Hunter -
--- Shinobu Hashimoto -
--- Margot Kidder -
--- Robert Dix -
--- Jacqueline Pearce -
--- Donnelly Rhodes -
--- Fenella Fielding -
--- Pasquale Buba -
--- Al Matthews -
--- Gary Kurtz -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Philip Glass -
--- Joseph LoDuca -
--- Paul Ratajczak -
--- John Williams -

Select 5 directors:
--- Alexandre Aja -
--- Mario Bava -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Jesús "Jess" Franco -
--- Lucio Fulci -
--- William Malone -
--- Sergio Martino -
--- Hideo Nakata -
--- Roman Polanski -
--- Jee-woon Kim -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Nigel Booth -
--- Screaming Mad George -
--- Steve Johnson -
--- Stan Winston -

Select 2 producers:
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Bryan Foy -
--- Michael Hertz -
--- Jeanette Volturno -

Select 2 writers:
-x- Dan O'Bannon - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
............................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- David Cronenberg -
-x- Dennis Paoli - Ghoulies II
--- R.J. Robertson -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
-x- *3-D Film - The Maze
......................Jaws 3D
-x- Agoraphobia - Carnival Of Souls
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on The 50 Best Horror Movies You’ve Never Seen -
--- Based on a True Story -
-x- Based on a Novel - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
................................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Classic Hammer Films -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Cryptid Cinema -
-x- Death by: Explosion, 2 - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
........................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
........................................Ghoulies II
--- Director or Writer Cameo in Own Film / Film Adaptation, 2
--- Distributor / Studio: Code Red -
--- Documentary -
-x- Drunk Horror - Ghoulies II
-x- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
.............................................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Film From Someone Else's List You've Never Seen -
--- Film From TCM's October Schedule -
--- Film Title Drop -
--- Flashback Horror -
--- From a Basis Gogos Painting -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
-x- Ghost / Haunting - Carnival Of Souls
--- Giallo -
--- Ouija Board -
--- K-Horror -
-x- Killer / Evil Animal - Jaws 3D
--- Killer / Evil Child -
-x- Killer / Evil Doll - Cult of Chucky
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: Thailand -
--- Nazi -
--- Prom -
-x- Psychological - Carnival Of Souls
..........................Cult of Chucky
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Scarecrows -
-x- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - Cult of Chucky
-x- Takes Place in a Hospital - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........................................Commentary for Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
..........................................Cult of Chucky
--- Takes Place on a College Campus or High School -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Television -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
-x- Vampire - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- Werewolf -
-x- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious - Cult of Chucky
-x- Wilhelm Scream - Venom
-x- With Commentary - Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
-x- Zombie - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)

Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Stars an Arquette (Rosanna, David, Patricia, Richmond, Alexis) -
--- Features music by a rock band -
-x- Was made in the 1960s - Carnival Of Souls
--- Features an investigation by Ed and Lorraine Warren -
--- Was written by Stephen King -
--- Features snow -
--- Has the words "Don't" in the title -
--- Was directed by David DeCoteau -
--- Stars Brinke Stevens -
--- Takes place at a strip club, 2 -
-x- Features a nun or priest - Carnival Of Souls

Select 3 from the following horror film tropes:
-x- Jump Scare - The Maze
........................Cult of Chucky
--- No Cell Coverage -
-x- The Abandoned Place - Carnival Of Souls
--- The Vengeful Spirit -
-x- Death By Sex - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...........................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- The Final Girl -
--- Flickering Lights -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1943 (75th) -
--- 1968 (50th) -
--- 1993 (25th) –

Select 1 from the following anniversaries:
--- 25th Anniversary of Vincent Price's Death -
-x- 50th Anniversary of Night of the Living Dead - Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
......................................................................Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
--- 100th Birthday of Evelyn Ankers -
--- 200th Anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 2 -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

Theme Nights:
Spoiler:

-x- 10/01: In 1968 the Recently Dead Get Up and Walk. A Copyright Suddenly Vanishes.
...............Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
...............Commentary For Lifeforce (Director's Cut)
The Social Commentary Makes Everyone Talk. - They're Coming to Get You, Barbara! The 50th Anniversary of Night of the Living Dead -
-x- 10/02: A Critic-Compiled List of Favorites that Left an Indelible Imprint
It's Full of Cult, Classics, Obscure ...Damn, Out of Print! - Studies in Terror -
...............The Maze
-x- 10/03: Just When You Thought It Safe To Go Back in the Water...
Along Come the Italians Bringing the Regurgitated Slaughter! - Jawsploitation -
...............Jaws 3D
--- 10/04: Claustrophobia is the Least of Your Worries...
These Demonic Death Boxes Will Drop You 100 Stories! - Elevator Horrors -
--- 10/05: Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies -
--- 10/06: Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Cloths That Smell of Death!
Call In the Military, And Someone Tell Michael--Lay Off the Meth! - Zombies -
--- 10/07: Monster Kids Unite! Chiller Theatre Brings the Fright! - Universal Monster Movies -
--- 10/08: Creepy with an Atmosphere of Paranoia & Dread
It's Mysteriously Lurking in the Shadows ...Or Under Your Bed! - Atmospheric Horror Films -
--- 10/09: The Decade of Decadence Aged and Fermented
Full of Big Hair, Grace Jones, and the Totally Demented! - Cheesy '80s Horror -
--- 10/10: Candles Lit. Throats Slit. - Bloody Birthday Parties
--- 10/11: Canines with Hydrophobia, Swamps with Creatures From the Abyss,
and Cabins Deep Within the Woods ...Hey, Cujo's Taking a Piss! - Dogs / Bogs / & Logs -
--- 10/12: Left Deserted and Alone in a Post-Apocalyptic Earthbound Hell
Steer Clear of the Mutant Hellspawns & Things Will Turn Out Just Swell - Apocalyptic Horror -
--- 10/13: Itinerary of Hostel Intent. Railway of Unnerving Descent. Airport Security of Hellish Torment. - The European Passport to Terror -
--- 10/14: Original Soundtracks in the Key of Death That Are Eclectic In Every Way
Just Don't Play Them Backwards, Or the Demons Will Come Out to Play - Rocktober Blood - The 100 Greatest Horror Soundtracks -
--- 10/15: High Caliber Films Determined By Mass Vote
Some Are Distinguished, Others Go Right for the Throat - IMDB Highest Rated Horror -
--- 10/16: It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises! - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/17: The Beaches Are Closed Early This Season...
Visitors Being Sucked Into Oblivion Could Potentially Be the Reason - Blood on the Beach -
--- 10/18: Fresh As That Chemically-Induced New Car Smell...
These Films for the Modern Age Will Unleash a Little Hell - Modern Horror Films -
--- 10/19: Rhonda's the Quintessential Blonde with Lots of Curves
Also There's Gilbert Who Just Plain Gets On Your Nerves - The Horrors of USA Up All Night -
--- 10/20: R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Retired, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Always Be Admired! - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Prism Entertainment / Video Stores -
--- 10/21: Bela's Belated Blood Sucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza! - Vampires -
--- 10/22: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 6 -
--- 10/23: Newscasters Are Beaming Emergency Broadcasts On Every Station...
The Radioactive Venus Space Probe Crash Spells Total Eradication! - Horrorspondents: You're On The Air! -
--- 10/24: Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse! - Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon -
--- 10/25: High Caliber Films Determined By Mass Vote
Some Are Distinguished, Others Go Right for the Throat - IMDB Highest Rated Horror -
--- 10/26: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Frankenstein / Mad Doctors
--- 10/27: Mass Marathon of the Damned (9) Presents...
The Texas-Bred Host with Crazy Drive-In Totals Returns Anew
And the World's Foremost Horror Movie Mag with Gratuitous Horror Fu! -
They Live! The Return of Joe Bob Briggs -&- Fangoria Magazine -
--- 10/28: Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights.
Summoning the Dead by Candlelight. - Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances
--- 10/29: Elaborate Games Played In a Puzzle-Ridden Room of Death
Orchestrated By a Sadistic Dying Killer Gasping For His Last Breath - Live or Die? Make Your Choice - Mind Games
--- 10/30: Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell! - Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
--- 10/31: Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head! - All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror -

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-18-18 at 04:56 PM.