Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Lennie Briscoe one-liner from the nominations below
15.79%
13.16%
13.16%
2.63%
5.26%
2.63%
21.05%
21.05%
2.63%
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 06:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

The female ADA going to get the guy his "prescription" and was one of the dumbest things I can remember one of the lawyers on here doing.
Old 05-13-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
The female ADA going to get the guy his "prescription" and was one of the dumbest things I can remember one of the lawyers on here doing.
And they didn't even really address it.
Old 05-13-22, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

That episode exemplified everything that’s wrong with the show. Guy commits murder and gets away with it, why exactly? I wonder how the parents reacted when they found out the only suspect they had for murdering their daughter was (I assume) given a total free pass? They didn’t even say if they gave him a lesser charge.

Whole episode was ridiculous.
Old 05-14-22, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Here's a random thought. This thread is old enough to buy alcohol. But also is L&O the only show currently on TV now that's actually older then DVDTalk? I know there was a long break and it's back on now but it has to be one of the few scripted shows that older right?
Old 05-14-22, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Here's a random thought. This thread is old enough to buy alcohol. But also is L&O the only show currently on TV now that's actually older then DVDTalk? I know there was a long break and it's back on now but it has to be one of the few scripted shows that older right?
Simpsons, maybe? I know its animated, but its also never gone off the air for a decade either.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (05-14-22)
Old 05-14-22, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Simpsons, maybe? I know its animated, but its also never gone off the air for a decade either.
Does anyone on the forum still watch The Simpsons on a regular basis? I wonder if anyone at all does at this point. I haven’t seen a new episode in years.
Old 05-14-22, 03:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

60 minutes
tanman (05-14-22)
Old 05-14-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Oh yeah that's a good one. And wow was it really 10 years ago that L&O went off the air?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Does anyone on the forum still watch The Simpsons on a regular basis? I wonder if anyone at all does at this point. I haven’t seen a new episode in years.
I haven't in a really long time. I think I watched some of the recent Disney+ special shorts but that's it. All of the Simpsons references everyone knows and love are 20-30 years old by this point.

Originally Posted by Philly30
60 minutes
I thought about shows like that and Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. That's why I added the qualifier scripted.
Old 05-15-22, 05:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

oh yeah that's a good one. And wow was it really 10 years ago that l&o went off the air?

I haven't in a really long time. I think i watched some of the recent disney+ special shorts but that's it. All of the simpsons references everyone knows and love are 20-30 years old by this point.

I thought about shows like that and wheel of fortune and jeopardy. That's why i added the qualifier scripted.
oops nevermind
Old 05-16-22, 12:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I do, but it's out of habit at this point. It's really bad.
Old 05-16-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Not older than the forum but Family Guy is very close. Granted, it was off the air for a good few years too before becoming a cult hit on Adult Swim.

South Park is older than the forum.
tanman (05-19-22)
Old 05-20-22, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a classic episode by any means, but certainly an improvement over the last few outings. I'll be back next year.
Old 05-20-22, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paff
Not a classic episode by any means, but certainly an improvement over the last few outings. I'll be back next year.
I'm getting tired of the Anderson cop is always the smart one and whatshisface is stupid schtick.

They need a retool of this show fast. It just came together way to quick.
Old 05-20-22, 11:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't know if it's the writing or Donovan's performance but Cosgrove is a terrible character

Odelya Halevi is nice to look at, but the I wouldn't mind if they retooled the entire cast. Waterson's going to turn 82 next season and it might be time for him to hang it up as well.
Old 05-20-22, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Waterson is still trying to be the firebrand Jack McCoy of 1998, when at his age he needs to be the cantankerous "don't bother me with this shit" old man that Stephen Hill and Fred Dalton Thompson were.
Old 05-22-22, 07:22 AM
Banned

Why does every single case need to be politically charged? I saw where this weeks case was going even before they tried it.

Don’t watch SVU right after this show, it makes you realize how mediocre it is.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-22-22 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-22-22, 11:37 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Don’t watch SVU right after this show, it makes you realize how mediocre it is.
Yeah, the SVU finale was actually good.
Old 05-26-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Anthony Anderson will not return for season 22. He was on a one year deal and opted to move on.

Old 05-26-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Yeah, I don't know if it's the writing or Donovan's performance but Cosgrove is a terrible character

Odelya Halevi is nice to look at, but the I wouldn't mind if they retooled the entire cast. Waterson's going to turn 82 next season and it might be time for him to hang it up as well.
I like Cosgrove okay, and Halei is sweet to look at, but I have no use for the rest of the cast, especially Dancy. And the cases suck. Everything is their take on something "ripped from the headlines." That used to be a sometimes thing, and they didn't always beat you over the head with it.

And if by next fall, I have dumped my Hulu, I might never watch a single network primetime TV show, which is mind-blowing to me since I grew up on the Three Networks.
Old 05-26-22, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
Anthony Anderson will not return for season 22. He was on a one year deal and opted to move on.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/...utxWBF8TyLN89w
So his character just so happens to retire one year after the show returns?

This show is boring. That’s not a good thing to say about a show.
Old 05-27-22, 11:03 AM
Suspended

So his character just so happens to retire one year after the show returns?

This show is boring. That’s not a good thing to say about a show.
I mean, he joined the show in 2008, so he was "on the job" for 14 years.

He was the best part of it next to Dancy, so this sucks. This version needs a big retool anyway.
Old 05-27-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In reality, lots of cops retire after 20 years when their pension and benefits have vested, and then they can get a much less stressful and demanding job with their experience.
Old 05-27-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Haven’t watched any of the new season as it doesn’t sound very good at all. Not sure how you screw up a simple concept like Law & Order. I mean I know it’s down to writing but it seems like it should be a cakewalk.
Old 05-27-22, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Haven’t watched any of the new season as it doesn’t sound very good at all. Not sure how you screw up a simple concept like Law & Order. I mean I know it’s down to writing but it seems like it should be a cakewalk.
Apart from other complaints, I think the show has definitely leaned into pushing a Lefty political agenda with the cases. And while this aligns with my politics, it's not what I want from this series. Rather than scoring ideological points with these ripped from the headlines storylines, I just want the stories and cases to be interesting and hold some surprises.
Old 05-27-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Apart from other complaints, I think the show has definitely leaned into pushing a Lefty political agenda with the cases. And while this aligns with my politics, it's not what I want from this series. Rather than scoring ideological points with these ripped from the headlines storylines, I just want the stories and cases to be interesting and hold some surprises.
The "Law" part is pretty straight-forward with the crime, -its the "Order" where they try to "score points". They've always done it. However, more than ever, they take the case in a direction that's not realistic and/or smart.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.