Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Lennie Briscoe one-liner from the nominations below
15.79%
13.16%
13.16%
2.63%
5.26%
2.63%
21.05%
21.05%
2.63%
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts
Re: Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
How are you guys watching L&O series like SVU, Organized Crime, etc? Im just realizing i can no longer watch their new eps on Hulu.
Peacock Premium
Old 09-29-22, 10:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

That may have been the funniest foot chase in L&O history. Shaw looked like he was out of breath as soon as he started running and Cosgrove looks like he’s speed walking

Old 10-06-22, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Hey...
Not a bad episode at all. The "ripped from the headlines" aspect was still there of course, but wasn't the main focus of the story. Nor was there any extra preaching. The finale in the subway car seemed a little much, but I'll give them artistic license.

I was also wrong in what I was predicting. I thought the legal issue would be
Spoiler:
Camryn Mannheim watching the ASL conversation through the 2-way glass. I figured that's where the information would come from, and the defense would want that thrown out because they assumed their conversation was private
Old 10-14-22, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stop the presses! A Law and Order episode with no preaching, no attempt at relevance of current news events, I don't even think it was based on a similar real-life story. Not to mention a little moral dilemma in that they knew they had the right guy but used illegal means to get him. Not that I like that, but I think we all know it happens a lot and that's one of the things John Oliver was complaining about.

But why do they keep showing Cosgrove's kid? I got a feeling she'll be a crime victim before the end of the season.
Old 10-14-22, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Stop the presses! A Law and Order episode with no preaching, no attempt at relevance of current news events, I don't even think it was based on a similar real-life story. Not to mention a little moral dilemma in that they knew they had the right guy but used illegal means to get him. Not that I like that, but I think we all know it happens a lot and that's one of the things John Oliver was complaining about.

But why do they keep showing Cosgrove's kid? I got a feeling she'll be a crime victim before the end of the season.
The message was, it's wrong to plant evidence even when you know the person did it. A lot of people would be ok with it. As a viewer you should want him acquitted, not convicted. The jury didn't see the smoking gun evidence the viewer did. He was convicted on the necklace and nothing else. Just tell the jury we found the necklace in his possession and the jury automatically convicts. Under the premise of the episode you could plant the evidence on any random person and convict them. No other evidence needed. That's scary. If cops just wanted anybody convicted to solve the case, they could just pick a name out of the phone book.

I'm wondering if the necklace shouldn't have been thrown out too. What put the cops on to him was his being in the same city as the other murders. Once the trial judge threw that out, what did they use as probable cause to get the search warrant for the building where the necklace was found. They had nothing to tell a judge why they believe evidence of a crime would be found there. You would think they would have to find a completely new reason to suspect him to get the search warrant.

Last edited by rw2516; 10-14-22 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-14-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
The message was, it's wrong to plant evidence even when you know the person did it. A lot of people would be ok with it. As a viewer you should want him acquitted, not convicted. The jury didn't see the smoking gun evidence the viewer did. He was convicted on the necklace and nothing else. Just tell the jury we found the necklace in his possession and the jury automatically convicts. Under the premise of the episode you could plant the evidence on any random person and convict them. No other evidence needed. That's scary. If cops just wanted anybody convicted to solve the case, they could just pick a name out of the phone book.
Oh, sure there was a "message", a general point to the episode (even if it's more than a little reminiscent of the old episode where Kevin Conway played an older cop and friend of Briscoe, he shot a drug dealer during a buy, then planted a gun on the victim and told Briscoe to show Det. Curtis "how things are done around here"). I'm more referring to the ham-handed efforts lately to shoe-horn in current events, like Jack McCoy practically breaking the fourth wall to say "people want to defund us".

But as for the part of your statement I bolded, that's what I was referring to as a "moral dilemma". Of course you don't want police planting evidence. But at the same time, this was definitely the guy who did it. I don't want a corrupt police force, no one does, but I also don't want murderers going free, ya know? And that's why it was a moral dilemma, and that makes for good drama. Something that's been sorely lacking since L&O came back
Old 10-17-22, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I know the show is still basically split down the middle between the two sections but for some reason I still feel like the police sections are much shorter since coming back. Anyone else notice or feel the same? I know the police parts are still basically half the show’s run time but it feels off to me.
Old 02-05-23, 12:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone still watch this? I can't see how it gets renewed, it is just awful
Old 02-05-23, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly30
Your personal dislike for it doesn’t matter. It has higher viewership than season 21. It’s going to continue to season 23. NBC likes being in the Dick Wolf business.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/l...on-22-ratings/
Old 02-05-23, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I've noticed that since Mechad Brooks joined the show almost every week features a foot race, with Brooks chasing and taking down the runner. The latest episode changed it up slightly, with Jeffrey Donovan cuffing the perp. I've started to wait for this, if you know what I mean. The previous episode surprised me at first, because the suspect allowed himself to be cuffed. But then there was a second (younger) suspect later in the episode, and he ran.
Old 02-05-23, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly30
I dumped it and Major Crimes after last season.

But DJ is right - NBC is in the Dick Wolf business.
Old 02-05-23, 11:29 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've noticed that since Mechad Brooks joined the show almost every week features a foot race, with Brooks chasing and taking down the runner. The latest episode changed it up slightly, with Jeffrey Donovan cuffing the perp. I've started to wait for this, if you know what I mean. The previous episode surprised me at first, because the suspect allowed himself to be cuffed. But then there was a second (younger) suspect later in the episode, and he ran.
Yes, I personally enjoy how he gets winded almost immediately after he starts running but they still catch the person they’re after.

I still watch it because there’s not much else to watch on Thursday now that football is done, but this cast stinks.
Old 02-05-23, 11:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Every week, almost everything is caught on camera, there is no real detective work, lazy writing
Old 02-06-23, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I dumped it and Major Crimes after last season.

But DJ is right - NBC is in the Dick Wolf business.
I thought Major Crimes went off the air a few years back?
Old 02-06-23, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jjcool
I thought Major Crimes went off the air a few years back?
I think he’s talking about Meloni’s show Organized Crime.
Old 02-06-23, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think he’s talking about Meloni’s show Organized Crime.
Yes. The Meloni one. So many - easy to get confused.
Old 11-15-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

https://tvline.com/news/jeffrey-dono...ve-1235081134/

Jeffrey Donovan (Cosgrove) will not return for season 23. He was let go for "creative reasons"

Old 11-16-23, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I've started to watch older seasons I hadn't seen before. I'm now in season 14, the last one with Jerry Orbach. I had a big gap between season 6 and 17. The show was definitely better with Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston leading the cast, although I liked Linus Roache as ADA Cutter.
Old 11-16-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://tvline.com/news/jeffrey-dono...ve-1235081134/

Jeffrey Donovan (Cosgrove) will not return for season 23. He was let go for "creative reasons"
They were writing his character to be fairly ignorant on social issues and a wee bit racist. Maybe that's what he didn't agree with? I can see not wanting to play that type of character, especially as a cop also.
Old 11-16-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Did Kelli Giddish want out? Or did SVU dump her?

This new L&O needs stability, but that comes over time that they don't have. Amanda Rollins moving to homicide investigations and being the lead on this series would have been a good idea. A new setting with a new partner, but someone the audience is comfortable with from episode one.
Old 11-16-23, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Giddish was let go or quit depending on your view of low ball offers - basically contract negotiations didn't go well. Donovan seems like he doesn't like the character.
Old 11-16-23, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If articles are to be trusted, Kelli left mostly due to contract negotiations not going well. Not directly due to what she or the show-runner wanted.
Old 11-16-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Well, then that would have been a win-win. Universal didn't want to give her more money on a show with dwindling returns that really just depends on Hargitay to stay. But she could have stepped up in status and helped launch the new L&O series instead of dragging Anthony Anderson back for just one season.
Old 11-16-23, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Well, then that would have been a win-win. Universal didn't want to give her more money on a show with dwindling returns that really just depends on Hargitay to stay. But she could have stepped up in status and helped launch the new L&O series instead of dragging Anthony Anderson back for just one season.
But then we wouldn't have Jax running down and tackling criminals in the streets of NYC.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-16-23 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Dan from Veep is the new star of Law and Order

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.