Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 08-28-21, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 517 Likes on 445 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Never received an item that was supposed to arrive a few days ago.
Amazon gives a USPS tracking # that doesn't exist when I go to track it on the USPS website.
Amazon says to contact USPS, USPS says this package doesn't exist - there's literally zero options for me as to what to do about this. I guess I could call or start a chat, but there's nothing in my order I can click to track or inquire "where is item".
Something similar happened to me a few weeks back. You have to contact Amazon directly via operator or their chat interface. Their menu options are very limited these days on orders.
Old 09-06-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts

I've been having a helluva time the past two weeks. I ordered a projector at the end of August. $1,800 was drafted/held/etc. Amazon went to actually process the order the other day and I got a payment declined message. Called the bank. All good on their end. Chat with Amazon who says I don't have the funds. Call the bank again, the funds are there the hold was placed in August. Chat with Amazon again, dude does something on there end to push it through. No dice. A few hours later and I get a payment declined. Called the bank a third time, they assured me I am good and said the draft should come through between 10-midnight the other day. Of course it didn't. Sometime the next morning it actually resolved itself. Meanwhile my shipping got bumped during all this, so it still hasn't shipped.

Cut to today and the projector is $200 cheaper. So I chat with Amazon to see about an adjustment for an order that hasn't shipped yet. No go. Just got some lame copy/paste text about pricing and whatnot. So I even ask the guy... so I should just cancel the item and reorder it to accomplish the same thing you could do with a couple clicks? No response to the question. Got a couple more stock copied and pasted text blocks about Amazon not setting pricing and not price adjusting. Fucking lame.

I understand not wanting to price adjust things across the board like days of yore, that would be a headache because people would be calling over $1-2. I'm talking $200. Even mentioned that too. Didn't budge from his stock script.

So I canceled and reordered. Way to go the extra mile for the customer Amazon.
Old 09-06-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I've been having a helluva time the past two weeks. I ordered a projector at the end of August. $1,800 was drafted/held/etc. Amazon went to actually process the order the other day and I got a payment declined message. Called the bank. All good on their end. Chat with Amazon who says I don't have the funds. Call the bank again, the funds are there the hold was placed in August. Chat with Amazon again, dude does something on there end to push it through. No dice. A few hours later and I get a payment declined. Called the bank a third time, they assured me I am good and said the draft should come through between 10-midnight the other day. Of course it didn't. Sometime the next morning it actually resolved itself. Meanwhile my shipping got bumped during all this, so it still hasn't shipped.
snip ...

Way to go the extra mile for the customer Amazon.
I love how you choose to blame ... not yourself, nor your Bank ... but Amazon. Amazon isn't in the business of declining customer orders. Buy the projector using a credit card and it sails through. Why you didn't explicitly state it, it appears you did this on a debit card (or the like). One that isn't exactly flush with cash behind the scenes, to put it mildly. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to do some sort of convoluted $1,800 "held" thingy with the bank. That it didn't work is between you and your bank because THEY declined the payment ... multiple times. But, you're not asking them to go the "extra mile" for you, their customer ... are you?

I'd rather not ask why you're not using a credit card for this order and getting 5% back ... because there is no answer that will suffice.

Old 09-06-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 238 Likes on 202 Posts

I'd say it's all on the way *Amazon* processes payments. They'll put a charge through when an order enters the shipping phase and if it gets a hold that's good - *IF* it ships on time. BUT if something causes that shipment to be delayed they'll often put through a *NEW* charge when the item is about to ship rather than reprocess the original. And *that's* likely what happened with Michael. I use "Virtual Credit Cards" with pre-set limits for Amazon and that sometime causes issues exactly like Michael described because of how Amazon does things.
Old 09-10-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'd say it's all on the way *Amazon* processes payments. They'll put a charge through when an order enters the shipping phase and if it gets a hold that's good - *IF* it ships on time. BUT if something causes that shipment to be delayed they'll often put through a *NEW* charge when the item is about to ship rather than reprocess the original. And *that's* likely what happened with Michael. I use "Virtual Credit Cards" with pre-set limits for Amazon and that sometime causes issues exactly like Michael described because of how Amazon does things.
Well ... we won't know until Michael decides to weigh in. However, Michael specifically mentioned his "bank" multiple times and "virtual credit cards" are issued by credit card companies.

He also said his bank confirmed the funds were there (i.e., adequate for the purchase). In the scenario you suggested, the funds would *not* be adequate, thus causing the problem.
Old 09-18-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts

Yes, I used a debit card. It's a "bill" account that I only keep what I need in there for bills and light spending, so no, it's generally not flush with cash. I haven't had a credit card in 5 years. Never had any issues in that time.

This appears to be what happened. They charged the day I ordered and it went into "shipping" and just sat there for a week before actually shipping. They tried to process a new charge at that point since they don't technically charge until it actually ships (then the old charge is released back to the account). So you need double the cost of the purchase for it to go through. It was payday, so at that moment of time the account was flush and had enough for it to go through.

All that aside, since I just canceled the original order and placed a new one that shipped immediately, the order went right through with zero issues.

Guess I need to plan better on a large purchase next time or not buy something that doesn't ship immediately.
Old 09-18-21, 04:15 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 159 Posts

Normally, I have nothing bad to say about Amazon. While this is true for any online retailer, in this particular case it was a sale by Amazon. I just purchased Zack Snyder's Justice League yesterday, it was delivered today. Nice fast delivery. My only pitchabitch about online retailers is that when you buy a video expecting to get it in pristine condition (because it's new), and the slipcover is messed up. I know slipcovers don't mean squat to some of you but to some of us, it's something we prize along with the rest of the package. When we buy it in a B&M store, we can pick and choose which one we want, but when you buy it online, you're at their mercy. Well, this slipcover is messed up, I'm kinda bummed, but it's not a big enough deal to go through the hassle of sending it back for exchange. It still rankles though.....
Old 09-18-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tell me about it. If I want something in absolute pristine condition, I find another retailer than Amazon these days. Even independent eBay sellers know how to package things better.
Old 09-18-21, 07:53 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 159 Posts

^ Yeah, but I wouldn't have been able to get it for $13 on Ebay. Had some Discover cash back to use so I got it for cheaper at Amazon. Another reason why it it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of sending it back for exchange. It's not really THAT bad, but it's still not one I'd have chosen to buy at a B&M store.
Old 10-04-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Cut to today and the projector is $200 cheaper. So I chat with Amazon to see about an adjustment for an order that hasn't shipped yet. No go. Just got some lame copy/paste text about pricing and whatnot. So I even ask the guy... so I should just cancel the item and reorder it to accomplish the same thing you could do with a couple clicks? No response to the question. Got a couple more stock copied and pasted text blocks about Amazon not setting pricing and not price adjusting. Fucking lame.
My wife and I bought a patio table and chairs from Walmart. It was originally something like $375 for the table and four chair set, but when we bought it (mid August) they were clearing out the garden center and had reduced it to something like $175. But then, two weeks later, they had it on final clearance for $90. Walmart refused to price match their own store, and in fact the CSR didn't seem to even understand the concept of "price matching". So I went to the garden center and got an employee to help me put a patio set on one of those flatbed things they have a few of in that department. I bought the new set for $96.30 all-in at the Garden Center checkout. I then pushed it out the Garden Center gate and up to and through the regular door. I returned it using the original receipt and got a credit for $187.25.

Thanks for making it needlessly complicated, Walmart.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 354 Posts

Not a complaint but they finally fixed their app to show open orders and made it even better than it was before. Now they display large and at the top of your order list.
Old 10-04-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 317 Likes on 229 Posts

I ordered some soft bristle toothbrushes on Sept 29. It's stuck showing "delayed but not shipped" along with an Amazon tracking number. Never seen this status before in my years ordering tons of items. On the plus side I was given a $5 promotion today for the delay.
Old 10-04-21, 04:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like the local, Albuquerque, Centers have at least partially opened. I ordered stuff Saturday for delivery today and it's showing "ABQ5" as part of the tracking info. In the past, it was generally one of the AZ points. I believe they were having hiring issues and offering sign-on bonuses so perhaps they got enough to actually open. Now I wonder if they will offer the Same Day delivery on some stuff?
Old 10-05-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Not a complaint but they finally fixed their app to show open orders and made it even better than it was before. Now they display large and at the top of your order list.

No, I don't see "open orders" at all via the app. On the website itself it does have one that says "Orders Not Yet Shipped," so I figure that's the one with different wording.
Old 10-05-21, 04:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
It looks like the local, Albuquerque, Centers have at least partially opened. I ordered stuff Saturday for delivery today and it's showing "ABQ5" as part of the tracking info. In the past, it was generally one of the AZ points. I believe they were having hiring issues and offering sign-on bonuses so perhaps they got enough to actually open. Now I wonder if they will offer the Same Day delivery on some stuff?
Nope, originated in Nevada. Must have shipped to the ABQ center and then turned it over to USPS. I often have stuff shipped via some other carrier and then hand off to USPS but this looked different.
Old 10-06-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No, I don't see "open orders" at all via the app. On the website itself it does have one that says "Orders Not Yet Shipped," so I figure that's the one with different wording.
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened. The app updated and it's back to the old style for me now. Maybe they did a small test release of a new version to see how it went? It definitely was changed for about a week and the changes were good.
Old 10-06-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 238 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yes, it is. The link's still the same (and says in the URL filter=open) - just the name was changed... longer for no good reason. I guess too many people don't understand the concept of an "open order" these days...
Old 10-06-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 570 Posts

Yes, it is. The link's still the same (and says in the URL filter=open) - just the name was changed... longer for no good reason. I guess too many people don't understand the concept of an "open order" these days...

I think that's what I said, but only on the desk top version. There is no "orders not yet shipped" via the App. The app just Orders > Digital Orders > Local Stores > Canceled. Then you can filter by order date.

Old 10-29-21, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

What is going on with Amazon's delivery times for Prime members? I just looked at stuff I used to be able to get in 2-3 days and now the window for delivery is no less than 5-7 days and many items state they won't be delivered until November 10 if I ordered today 10/28. i don't use it, but now Whole Food orders are going to cost $9.95. Doesn't seem like Prime has any benefit now.
Old 10-29-21, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Prime delivery is more like Amazon's way of saying we'll deliver it when we get around to it. I have a hunch they are purposely delaying fulfillment so they can group orders in concentrated geographic areas. They could fulfill it immediately but the cost of shipping you one item eats up most of their margin. They are pooling neighborhood orders before actually shipping them out.
Old 10-29-21, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,062 Posts

While the delayed delivery times could just be another manifestation of the "supply chain" woes, it sounds like "Prime" is morphing into Amazon's streaming service, and they're cutting back on the idea of using it as an unlimited 2-day premium delivery service.

They started cutting back on Prime benefits a few years ago with "add-on" items that were no longer Prime eligible without a minimum $25 purchase.
Old 10-29-21, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 870 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
They are pooling neighborhood orders before actually shipping them out.
So, if no one in your neighborhood orders anything, you'll never receive your order? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

I haven't noticed any change in my Prime deliveries. I just ordered 2 pair of Levis last Wednesday evening and got them Thursday afternoon.
Old 10-29-21, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it depends on your area. I'm still able to get packages next day in a lot of cases.
Old 10-29-21, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
While the delayed delivery times could just be another manifestation of the "supply chain" woes, it sounds like "Prime" is morphing into Amazon's streaming service, and they're cutting back on the idea of using it as an unlimited 2-day premium delivery service.

They started cutting back on Prime benefits a few years ago with "add-on" items that were no longer Prime eligible without a minimum $25 purchase.
I mainly joined Prime for the quick two day shipping without the minimum dollar orders. They don't have much original content on their streaming, or at least enough to justify the cost. I can't remember the last time I watched any original content on Amazon or other movie content for that matter.

i find myself ordering more from other websites than I do on Amazon. Most of the time I'm getting it quicker and cheaper ordering it elsewhere. It only saves search time ordering from Amazon now.
Old 10-31-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 795 Likes on 564 Posts

There's something I noticed just now that I quite like. If you place products into your Wishlist, the site tracks price drops and makes note of the difference. Nota bene that it does not advertise price increases, so one must be vigilant.
Anyway, I have love/hate feelings toward this conglomerate. It really does make shopping easier for people like me, who are averse to leaving the house, but I abhor the company's insatiable rapacity, its indefensible exploitation of its workers, and Bezos's wanton sybaritism. Someone in his position has the influence to make myriad positive changes in the world; instead he's content to wallow in his reprehensible selfishness and continue raking in the billions and acquiring lavish residences left, right, and centre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.