Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 08-28-21, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 304 Likes on 261 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Never received an item that was supposed to arrive a few days ago.
Amazon gives a USPS tracking # that doesn't exist when I go to track it on the USPS website.
Amazon says to contact USPS, USPS says this package doesn't exist - there's literally zero options for me as to what to do about this. I guess I could call or start a chat, but there's nothing in my order I can click to track or inquire "where is item".
Something similar happened to me a few weeks back. You have to contact Amazon directly via operator or their chat interface. Their menu options are very limited these days on orders.
Old 09-06-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts

I've been having a helluva time the past two weeks. I ordered a projector at the end of August. $1,800 was drafted/held/etc. Amazon went to actually process the order the other day and I got a payment declined message. Called the bank. All good on their end. Chat with Amazon who says I don't have the funds. Call the bank again, the funds are there the hold was placed in August. Chat with Amazon again, dude does something on there end to push it through. No dice. A few hours later and I get a payment declined. Called the bank a third time, they assured me I am good and said the draft should come through between 10-midnight the other day. Of course it didn't. Sometime the next morning it actually resolved itself. Meanwhile my shipping got bumped during all this, so it still hasn't shipped.

Cut to today and the projector is $200 cheaper. So I chat with Amazon to see about an adjustment for an order that hasn't shipped yet. No go. Just got some lame copy/paste text about pricing and whatnot. So I even ask the guy... so I should just cancel the item and reorder it to accomplish the same thing you could do with a couple clicks? No response to the question. Got a couple more stock copied and pasted text blocks about Amazon not setting pricing and not price adjusting. Fucking lame.

I understand not wanting to price adjust things across the board like days of yore, that would be a headache because people would be calling over $1-2. I'm talking $200. Even mentioned that too. Didn't budge from his stock script.

So I canceled and reordered. Way to go the extra mile for the customer Amazon.
Old 09-06-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I've been having a helluva time the past two weeks. I ordered a projector at the end of August. $1,800 was drafted/held/etc. Amazon went to actually process the order the other day and I got a payment declined message. Called the bank. All good on their end. Chat with Amazon who says I don't have the funds. Call the bank again, the funds are there the hold was placed in August. Chat with Amazon again, dude does something on there end to push it through. No dice. A few hours later and I get a payment declined. Called the bank a third time, they assured me I am good and said the draft should come through between 10-midnight the other day. Of course it didn't. Sometime the next morning it actually resolved itself. Meanwhile my shipping got bumped during all this, so it still hasn't shipped.
snip ...

Way to go the extra mile for the customer Amazon.
I love how you choose to blame ... not yourself, nor your Bank ... but Amazon. Amazon isn't in the business of declining customer orders. Buy the projector using a credit card and it sails through. Why you didn't explicitly state it, it appears you did this on a debit card (or the like). One that isn't exactly flush with cash behind the scenes, to put it mildly. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to do some sort of convoluted $1,800 "held" thingy with the bank. That it didn't work is between you and your bank because THEY declined the payment ... multiple times. But, you're not asking them to go the "extra mile" for you, their customer ... are you?

I'd rather not ask why you're not using a credit card for this order and getting 5% back ... because there is no answer that will suffice.

Old 09-06-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd say it's all on the way *Amazon* processes payments. They'll put a charge through when an order enters the shipping phase and if it gets a hold that's good - *IF* it ships on time. BUT if something causes that shipment to be delayed they'll often put through a *NEW* charge when the item is about to ship rather than reprocess the original. And *that's* likely what happened with Michael. I use "Virtual Credit Cards" with pre-set limits for Amazon and that sometime causes issues exactly like Michael described because of how Amazon does things.
Old 09-10-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'd say it's all on the way *Amazon* processes payments. They'll put a charge through when an order enters the shipping phase and if it gets a hold that's good - *IF* it ships on time. BUT if something causes that shipment to be delayed they'll often put through a *NEW* charge when the item is about to ship rather than reprocess the original. And *that's* likely what happened with Michael. I use "Virtual Credit Cards" with pre-set limits for Amazon and that sometime causes issues exactly like Michael described because of how Amazon does things.
Well ... we won't know until Michael decides to weigh in. However, Michael specifically mentioned his "bank" multiple times and "virtual credit cards" are issued by credit card companies.

He also said his bank confirmed the funds were there (i.e., adequate for the purchase). In the scenario you suggested, the funds would *not* be adequate, thus causing the problem.