Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 06-17-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 662 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Doesn't the fact that you get so many damaged items from them kinda prove his point that people get lazy with their jobs?
Possibly, but I'd put that down more to cost-cutting measures by a company, cheaping out on pacing materials and labor. (And Amazon sure does love their padded envelopes.)

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Or that the quotas are so harsh that people rush through them to meet them.
Yes, seeing and hearing how Amazon runs their warehouses, it's painfully obvious that the only things they care about are speed and "efficiency." If it means they're going to send out torn books, smashed DVDs, bent record albums, or moldy food to get the order filled as quickly as possible, they'll do it. And then, if the stuff is in good condition when it's tossed in an over-sized empty box or carelessly stuffed into a bubble mailer as quicky as possible (Amazon is auditing every second... tick tock... tick tock...) it's handed over to the tender mercies of the USPS or UPS.
Old 07-12-21, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Have prime.
Look like Amazon charged me a return shipping fee for the only two items I returned this year out of 100+ items I bought from them this year alone.
One item was a used product from an Amazon warehouse deal(3rd party seller) that was missing most of the parts. So not my fault. shipping fee $7.37?
The 2nd item was a new movie that I sent back unopened. item was $14.33 the refund amount was only $7.16
I did an online chat and they did correct both purchases without asking any questions besides the item and prices. Also, I do not do many returns with Amazon and both took quite a while to process.

Also bought a used bike through warehouse deals that was listed as used but in very good condition.
The frame and fork had starches on the paint but no serious damage to the bike beside a bunch of chips in the paint. It should have been listed as fair.
Amazon did offer me another 20% off if I wanted to keep the bike and not return it. I took the deal.

Overall I'm happy with most items I buy through Amazon warehouse deals. Just makes sure they refund you the correct amount.
Old 07-12-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

My Mom & I use to have a account with Amazon since when they first started. But since she passed away I figured I would open a new account
under my name. I did that on this years Prime Day. I also signed up for a free trial of Prime. First 2 orders I ordered were fine. Then I ordered Hills
Bros Cappuccino, French Vanilla, 16 Ounce (Pack of 6). Two days later the "Decaf" flavor arrives. On our old account I ordered this type of coffee
mix before many many times. Only once they sent me the wrong flavor. So I figure I give this to my SNL since she can only drink decaf. I end up
reordering another 6 pack or Hills Bros Cappuccino, French Vanilla. Two days later I receive the order & once again I get "Decaf" flavor. So I all
Amazon & tell them what happen. They end up giving me credit for the first order and reordering me another Hills Bros Cappuccino, French Vanilla,
16 Ounce (Pack of 6).for free. And guess what today the order arrives & it's not "Decaf" but "Sugar Free". Of course they give me credit again. I'll just
let my SNL order for me & cancel Amazon Prime Trial before the 22nd of this month.
Old 07-13-21, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Apparently former NBA players work for amazon because I just received a blu-ray box set that had what looks like a size 72 boot print on the white mailer envelope. Crushed box set of course with the hubs broken and discs rattling around inside.
Old 07-14-21, 09:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never returned anything to Amazon until last week. Returned an item and selected a slightly more expensive replacement. They sent me a return label and indicated the replacement would be shipped. I took the return to Staples, UPS drop-off or whatever it's called, the following day. I received notification the replacement was shipped on Friday July 9th with UPS tracking. As of right now, it still only shows "label Created" with an Amazon expected delivery of tomorrow. UPS indicates to check back tomorrow as they show nothing even being sent "3-day select". Even my return shows it's only made it about 475 miles so far with the initial expected delivery of tomorrow in Las Vegas about an additional 300 miles. I guess just venting since doesn't appear to be Amazon's fault.
Old 07-15-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 199 Likes on 165 Posts

For the last few items I've returned to Amazon, I received my refund as soon as the package was registered at the post office.

That surprises me.

Obviously not a complaint, but thought I'd mention it following another return post.
Old 07-15-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
For the last few items I've returned to Amazon, I received my refund as soon as the package was registered at the post office.

That surprises me.

Obviously not a complaint, but thought I'd mention it following another return post.
I would imagine your returns were for item purchased/fulfilled by Amazon where theirs was a 3rd party seller through Amazon.
Old 07-15-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 199 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I would imagine your returns were for item purchased/fulfilled by Amazon where theirs was a 3rd party seller through Amazon.
You're correct about mine.
Old 07-16-21, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was an exchange but shows sold and shipped by Amazon. Now I see on the exchange shipping info:

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by tomorrow, you can come back here the next day for a refund.

At least now when I check the tracking, UPS, it shows movement. Prior it just told me to return tomorrow for any updates. Oh well at least my return shows delivered in Las Vegas.
Old 07-16-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 113 Likes on 97 Posts

And those "come back here the next day for a refund" things are horrible. I did one once just to see what would happen. I got the refund immediately along with an email that said "Please return the item once it’s been delivered to you. If it's not returned within 30 days we'll charge you again." Of course it arrived the following day along with another email reminder to return it within 30 days or be charged. Not wanting to have to wait over a month for them to recharge for the item I did a chat and was told "Oh.. don't worry about it, just keep it for the inconvenience." in spite of me saying "I want it so how do I get the charge *now* instead of waiting a month?" They repeated "You won't be charged. I've removed the return requirement." in spite of my protests. They then proceeded to send a reminder every 2-3 weeks about returning the item or be billed for it. Finally, *two* months later they decided I'd not returned the item and charged my CC for the original charge. Why couldn't they just honor what they said or, better still, just have done what I asked in the beginning - charge me again then instead of waiting.

Today I received 3 cans of coffee that were all ordered at the same time. 2 cans arrived in *one* box that was large enough for all 3 while the 3rd arrived in a separate box that was large enough for at least *6* cans! Worst part is the smaller box was printed with the claim "This box was made with fewer materials" yet I could tell no difference in it from any other random box Amazon uses.
Old 07-18-21, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I've never returned anything to Amazon until last week. Returned an item and selected a slightly more expensive replacement. They sent me a return label and indicated the replacement would be shipped. I took the return to Staples, UPS drop-off or whatever it's called, the following day. I received notification the replacement was shipped on Friday July 9th with UPS tracking. As of right now, it still only shows "label Created" with an Amazon expected delivery of tomorrow. UPS indicates to check back tomorrow as they show nothing even being sent "3-day select". Even my return shows it's only made it about 475 miles so far with the initial expected delivery of tomorrow in Las Vegas about an additional 300 miles. I guess just venting since doesn't appear to be Amazon's fault.
Always have UPS or USPS scan the label and get a receipt when you drop off a return or any package for that matter. That way it is automatically entered into their tracking system as "package received" and you'll have the receipt proof.
Old 07-18-21, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
Have prime.
Look like Amazon charged me a return shipping fee for the only two items I returned this year out of 100+ items I bought from them this year alone.
One item was a used product from an Amazon warehouse deal(3rd party seller) that was missing most of the parts. So not my fault. shipping fee $7.37?
[...]
Overall I'm happy with most items I buy through Amazon warehouse deals. Just makes sure they refund you the correct amount.
During the return process online, it shows you exactly how much you're paying for your return shipping options and how much refund to expect, so there should be no surprises. If you selected the correct reason for the return ("Parts missing"), all the shipping options should have been free, with a full refund indicated.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-18-21)
Old 07-20-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm not a regular in the Amazon thread and I have really cut back my Amazon spending (if it weren't for the streaming, I wouldn't have Prime).

Question though ... is "Wish List" useless unless I install an Amazon extension that creeps on me while I am on other sites? All of Amazon's "help" (very loosely used term) says "Press the Add To List button on any product's detail page." I see no button anywhere. I do find plenty of other references to downloading Amazon Assistant.
Old 07-21-21, 06:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I'm not a regular in the Amazon thread and I have really cut back my Amazon spending (if it weren't for the streaming, I wouldn't have Prime).

Question though ... is "Wish List" useless unless I install an Amazon extension that creeps on me while I am on other sites? All of Amazon's "help" (very loosely used term) says "Press the Add To List button on any product's detail page." I see no button anywhere. I do find plenty of other references to downloading Amazon Assistant.
”Add to list” is always there for me, right under “Add to cart” and “Buy now”. You shouldn’t have to do anything extra to see it.
Old 07-21-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank you slybone. That is weird ... it does not appear on anything for me.

Edit: Duh. I see it. It's a light grey dropdown at the very end of that box of info. I was looking for a "chiclet" button next to the buy now and add to cart.

Thank you!

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-21-21 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slybone (07-22-21)