Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 05-26-21, 06:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 264 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by walletboyniac View Post
I see this has been brought up. Let me bring it up again. What the hell happened to Prime delivery? The bulk of what I order takes (sometimes much) longer than 2 days. I don't know why I keep Prime, because I hardly order anything from them anymore because the deals have been drying up. (Oh yeah, I get a special rate on Prime, which was a nightmare to get). I tried ordering 4 things today: One is coming Saturday (ok so far), one Monday, one is delayed 2-4 weeks, and the fourth one I cancelled. It says "in stock," no sign of delay, and the delivery date was June 1.
at first it was Covid thing and i understood that, but things are lifting, we still paid the full year for Prime or monthly, whatever you do and what the hell are we getting? a few good shows and that's only if you care about streaming, but frankly i do it for the shipping. and it's like iffy. i preorder and get a window of like a month at first. sometimes it says get it on release, but it's like a day or 2 later. sometimes i complain and get free stuff and sometimes credit, but it's effort. i mean i just got Explorers Blu from Shout Select for free, actually 2 copies for free, and it took a simple online chat. i also got to get them to only ship via USPS or UPS. i didn't even know you could do that. the Amazon couriers keep fucking up and they pay up, but still. i don't want to deal. would rather, pay, get in 2 days and that's it.
Old 05-29-21, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac View Post
Also adjusted a subscribe & save today, which is going to take them 8 days to fulfill. For a lousy 5%. I used to like Amazon.
my subscribe and save order that they can currently ship timely will just disappear. No longer in order list or cancelled orders. They are just gone around 3-5 days after the scheduled delivery date.
Old 06-01-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone else concerned about Amazon's new "Sidewalk" feature? I know this isn't the Tech forum, but I figure it's worth noting in this thread:

Do you trust Amazon to share your internet connection with others? How to opt out

Old 06-01-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Anyone else concerned about Amazon's new "Sidewalk" feature? I know this isn't the Tech forum, but I figure it's worth noting in this thread:

Do you trust Amazon to share your internet connection with others? How to opt out
Well I turned it off anyway.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't use any of those devices. The closest I have to Alexa is my smartphone and smartwatch.
MLBFan24 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I was concerned because I have the Firestick and Fire Cube, which have voice control. But those devices don't seem to have the feature, for now...
Old 06-01-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 155 Posts

Insane that this is an opt-out feature, rather than opt-in.

US only, for now, anyway.
MLBFan24 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 615 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Insane that this is an opt-out feature, rather than opt-in.

US only, for now, anyway.
If it was opt-in nobody would fucking use it.

MLBFan24 (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 261 Likes on 225 Posts

Little known fact, this is how Skynet begins. I'm sure nothing can go wrong when an unchecked monopoly with no moral conscience starts linking everything up...
MLBFan24 (06-01-21)
Old 06-06-21, 09:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
at first it was Covid thing and i understood that, but things are lifting, we still paid the full year for Prime or monthly, whatever you do and what the hell are we getting? a few good shows and that's only if you care about streaming, but frankly i do it for the shipping. and it's like iffy. i preorder and get a window of like a month at first. sometimes it says get it on release, but it's like a day or 2 later. sometimes i complain and get free stuff and sometimes credit, but it's effort. i mean i just got Explorers Blu from Shout Select for free, actually 2 copies for free, and it took a simple online chat. i also got to get them to only ship via USPS or UPS. i didn't even know you could do that. the Amazon couriers keep fucking up and they pay up, but still. i don't want to deal. would rather, pay, get in 2 days and that's it.
I've had a lot of issues with their customer service, which actually used to be quite good. Today I got denied a $10 promotion that they screwed up on. Frankly, I don't remember the last promotion where I DIDN'T have to contact customer support because they didn't honor it. I remember the days where they would gladly give me "inconvenience" credits. Those dried up a couple years ago. Cool to know you can select your carrier.
Old 06-07-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

I fucking hate Alexa so much. That is all.
Old 06-08-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, Amazon screwed me over again. Pre-ordered Indiana Jones on 4k literally the day it went up on their site, and today I get an email asking me if I want to cancel because they are out of stock and don't know when it will be in.

And now Best Buy is sold out as well, so I guess I'll play the waiting game with Amazon. I mean, I understand they got a lot of preorders, but I DON'T understand why they never honor those who order the earliest - it just seems to be random (or, more likely, according to where their warehouses are located and which warehouse the stock is at).

So that's it with me and movie preorders at Amazon now. I'm strictly using Best Buy now until they go out of business.
Old 06-08-21, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 187 Posts

The steelbook is in stock at Best Buy according to their site. It's also in stock at the local BB to me for pickup.

Edit: Looks like it's available for you to pick up today too.

Last edited by Noonan; 06-08-21 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Well, Amazon screwed me over again. Pre-ordered Indiana Jones on 4k literally the day it went up on their site, and today I get an email asking me if I want to cancel because they are out of stock and don't know when it will be in.

And now Best Buy is sold out as well, so I guess I'll play the waiting game with Amazon. I mean, I understand they got a lot of preorders, but I DON'T understand why they never honor those who order the earliest - it just seems to be random (or, more likely, according to where their warehouses are located and which warehouse the stock is at).
The way orders are fulfilled probably comes down to some kind of algorithm that Amazon uses to maximize efficiency and squeeze every last fraction of a penny out of every single order that they can, rather than prioritizing on a first-come, first-served basis. We all know that Amazon loves their algorithms.

I also notice that stuff is constantly going in and out of stock at Amazon. I'm not sure that's an issue with the suppliers/publishers (and possibly pandemic-related), or if it's just Amazon keeping a low on-hand stock of items.

I notice a lot of Scream/Shout Factory titles come and go randomly, though they're still available for order on the Shout Factory website.
Old 06-08-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. The steelbooks are available. I'm talking about the standard release.
Old 06-09-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 356 Likes on 295 Posts

I paid $60 shipped for it on Deep Discount. My copy hasn't shipped, but I will wait it out -- not in a hurry for it.
Old 06-16-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I fucking hate Alexa so much. That is all.
We agree. Alexa = fucking Skynet = evil incarnate.

that is all.
Old 06-16-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this is gross, but also probably something we all knew:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...re-lazy-2021-6

David Niekerk, who helped design the company's warehouse-management system, told the publication that founder Jeff Bezos' belief that people are inherently lazy helped shape the company's policies.

Bezos believed that workers' desire to perform well decreased over time and that an entrenched workforce was a "march to mediocrity," Niekerk told The Times.

"What he would say is that our nature as humans is to expend as little energy as possible to get what we want or need," Niekerk told The Times.

He pointed to a short-term employment model that doesn't provide employees many opportunities for advancement and to the way Amazon used technology to keep workers on task. Amazon doesn't guarantee wage increases after a worker's first three years, the report said, as a way to oust employees who might become too comfortable at Amazon or turn "disgruntled."

The practices that Niekerk described are some of the company's most contentious — like firing employees for a single day of low productivity and continually keeping workers on task with limited break time and high productivity goals.
Old 06-16-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Jeff Bezos' belief that people are inherently lazy helped shape the company's policies.
That's certainly the case where it comes to amazon's customers. But treating employees like that isn't great for the long term - especially if you look at different corporations and how the ones who have treated employees best end up doing better than those that don't.
Old 06-16-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The little bit of Amazon that I saw in Nomadland convinced me they would be the last company I'd want to work for, regardless of how much I needed employment.
Old 06-16-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck Bezos.

A "march toward mediocrity?"

I barely even order from Amazon anymore because they either send me shit that was damaged in the warehouse, or damaged in transit because they can't bother to pack anything properly. And then if send back too many smashed blu-ray boxed sets for replacement, they'll ban me for life.

That's your "mediocrity," you egg-headed piece of shit.

I used to order tons of books, CDs, and DVDs from Amazon, and then they suddenly stopped shipping my items without any protection, or they would send me things that were obviously damaged at their warehouse.

One of the worst ones was a CD I ordered, and they sent a CD in a shattered jewel case. It was like a sealed baggie with a disc, inserts, and a bunch of shards of plastic, along with a note that said something to the effect of "Sorry, this is the last one we had. We'll replace it if you have a problem with it and ship it back." Seriously, fuck you, it looked it was run over by a forklift. Throw the fucking thing out, don't send it to a paying customer.

Old 06-17-21, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Fuck Bezos.

A "march toward mediocrity?"

I barely even order from Amazon anymore because they either send me shit that was damaged in the warehouse, or damaged in transit because they can't bother to pack anything properly. And then if send back too many smashed blu-ray boxed sets for replacement, they'll ban me for life.

That's your "mediocrity," you egg-headed piece of shit.

I used to order tons of books, CDs, and DVDs from Amazon, and then they suddenly stopped shipping my items without any protection, or they would send me things that were obviously damaged at their warehouse.

One of the worst ones was a CD I ordered, and they sent a CD in a shattered jewel case. It was like a sealed baggie with a disc, inserts, and a bunch of shards of plastic, along with a note that said something to the effect of "Sorry, this is the last one we had. We'll replace it if you have a problem with it and ship it back." Seriously, fuck you, it looked it was run over by a forklift. Throw the fucking thing out, don't send it to a paying customer.
Doesn't the fact that you get so many damaged items from them kinda prove his point that people get lazy with their jobs?
Old 06-17-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Doesn't the fact that you get so many damaged items from them kinda prove his point that people get lazy with their jobs?
Or that the quotas are so harsh that people rush through them to meet them.

It's not a new concept to burn through what you consider your "low skill" and easily replaceable workforce and move on to the next group of starving workers, but usually you expect that from third world countries or dictatorships. It also happens all the time even in higher skill vocations where there are a lot of people eager to break in. The bottom line is pleasing the stockholders/profits, not taking care of people.
Old 06-17-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Or that the quotas are so harsh that people rush through them to meet them.

It's not a new concept to burn through what you consider your "low skill" and easily replaceable workforce and move on to the next group of starving workers, but usually you expect that from third world countries or dictatorships. It also happens all the time even in higher skill vocations where there are a lot of people eager to break in. The bottom line is pleasing the stockholders/profits, not taking care of people.
That's the goal for literally every publicly held company. Even the ones you think treat people well wouldn't think twice about mass layoffs if the business and board called for it.
fujishig (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 10:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it was interesting when I hear folks mention something like "we need more places paying decent wages around here" when Amazon was building warehouse/distribution center in Albuquerque. I wonder how large the pool of folks is when they run through people at an alarming rate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.