Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 11-01-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I've had two recent orders do something 'whacky' One order was refunded on Monday having been due for delivery on a Sunday as it was "undeliverable" granted it was taking 4 or more days for the order to arrive so it's not like it was supposed to be next day. I also had a phone case order that would not allow me to cancel despite not being out for delivery that was also never delivered or out for shipment that I was refunded for. It took over a week and a half for that one to resolve. Very strange stuff going on with this company. Most of my orders ship without issue if not a bit slower than advertised but things are weird on that site lately
Old 11-01-21, 10:11 AM

Received 908 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
There's something I noticed just now that I quite like. If you place products into your Wishlist, the site tracks price drops and makes note of the difference. Nota bene that it does not advertise price increases, so one must be vigilant.
Anyway, I have love/hate feelings toward this conglomerate. It really does make shopping easier for people like me, who are averse to leaving the house, but I abhor the company's insatiable rapacity, its indefensible exploitation of its workers, and Bezos's wanton sybaritism. Someone in his position has the influence to make myriad positive changes in the world; instead he's content to wallow in his reprehensible selfishness and continue raking in the billions and acquiring lavish residences left, right, and centre.
I heard you can get most of those two-dollar words for $1.49 apiece on Amazon.
Old 11-01-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 508 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
I heard you can get most of those two-dollar words for $1.49 apiece on Amazon.
But it might take 5-7 days for them to arrive!
Old 11-01-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
There's something I noticed just now that I quite like. If you place products into your Wishlist, the site tracks price drops and makes note of the difference. Nota bene that it does not advertise price increases, so one must be vigilant.
Anyway, I have love/hate feelings toward this conglomerate. It really does make shopping easier for people like me, who are averse to leaving the house, but I abhor the company's insatiable rapacity, its indefensible exploitation of its workers, and Bezos's wanton sybaritism. Someone in his position has the influence to make myriad positive changes in the world; instead he's content to wallow in his reprehensible selfishness and continue raking in the billions and acquiring lavish residences left, right, and centre.
That's why I add a comment to include the price a product was when I put it in a wish list. If it goes up I can see it without having to go to CCC for a price track.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (11-01-21)
Old 11-01-21, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use the 'Keepa' extension in Chrome, so I can just open an item from my Amazon wishlist and there's a nice little chart that shows the item's price each day for the past several months.
Norm de Plume (11-01-21)
Old 11-01-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,049 Likes on 815 Posts

Or use camelcamelcamel and you can do it from a browser extension right on the page.

I do think it's supply chain issues, because I've gotten more than a fair share of "cancelled" orders for no apparent reason, and then it's completely unavailable on Amazon.
Old 11-01-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Or use camelcamelcamel and you can do it from a browser extension right on the page.
Keepa is a browser extension that shows a price history right on the amazon product page, too.
Old 11-01-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Microsoft Edge also has something that will note lower prices at Amazon as well as coupon codes for other sites, built in without an add-on.
Old 11-28-21, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two new complaints. I just paid $120 to renew my Prime. Yet, 3 of my recent orders have been shipped through UPS/USPS instead of being delivered by Amazon. Now, the first 2 were 2nd day air anyway (but Amazon delivers on weekends). The real problem is the 3rd one. Evolution BD. They finally shipped it today (was supposed to release on the 8th), BUT they used UPS Surepost! WTF? I called and complained. I'm supposed to get a $5 credit.

2. I just placed an order on Amazon.de for the first time since August 2020. Why the hell are they charging tax now???? My 2020 order did NOT include tax, nor did any orders prior to that, so this is a new thing. As if the shipping/import fees aren't bad enough. WTF!? If Amazon Germany is going to charge me tax for the US, then I want my bloody Prime shipping on those orders too.
Old 12-27-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

I ordered a video game for my son last week. It was supposed to arrive before Christmas. Christmas came and went, and my order hadn't even shipped. There is a Target near my house and they have it in stock. So I tried to cancel this morning, but Amazon wouldn't let me cancel because it was "In the final stages before being shipped". A few hours later this morning it finally shipped, using the USPS, from Seattle -- I'm near the East coast of the U.S.
Old 12-27-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I ordered a video game for my son last week. It was supposed to arrive before Christmas. Christmas came and went, and my order hadn't even shipped. There is a Target near my house and they have it in stock. So I tried to cancel this morning, but Amazon wouldn't let me cancel because it was "In the final stages before being shipped". A few hours later this morning it finally shipped, using the USPS, from Seattle -- I'm near the East coast of the U.S.
Amazon used to be really great about ensuring items listed for delivery before Christmas would make it by Christmas. But their monopoly now affords them protection from backlash. I foolishly made a gift order which promised to be delivered by the 24th. Christmas came and went, the present arrived this morning. So no memories of opening it on Christmas in front of relatives.
Old 01-08-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

My last four orders have arrived two days later than what it showed when I placed the order.
Old 01-08-22, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am experiencing the same thing as well. And the items are being set by Amazon. Which makes it even more odd.
Old 01-10-22, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts

I pick up some of the Prime Channel deals when they're offered, and Amazon took my January payments out of my digital credits rather than charge my CC. I generally have some in my account but they haven't accepted them as payment in the past.
story (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 635 Likes on 460 Posts

I should probably start a positive Amazon experience thread I had an order arrive today, two days early.
story (01-10-22)
Old 01-11-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Just remember, any time an order arrives past the expected delivery date that Amazon gives you, you can get $$$ for it. I just start a customer service chat and tell them, "This item was supposed to arrive Monday, but it arrived late on Wednesday. I was wondering if I could get some credit for the inconvenience?" That's it, and they just usually give you $5 automatically from there. I racked up about $30-40 in credits over the recent holiday season.
Old 01-14-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts

Well, bought Cruella 4K from Amazon and they sent me an opened, return version (fingerprints even on the 4K disc). Probably plays fine but I paid for a new copy so returning it.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 01-14-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I should probably start a positive Amazon experience thread I had an order arrive today, two days early.
Strictly from a consumer's standpoint, I am in fact extremely happy with Amazon overall, but in view of its pernicious impact on society and the insatiable world-dominating avarice of its founder, I'm ashamed to be a customer.
Sonic (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 478 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Just remember, any time an order arrives past the expected delivery date that Amazon gives you, you can get $$$ for it. I just start a customer service chat and tell them, "This item was supposed to arrive Monday, but it arrived late on Wednesday. I was wondering if I could get some credit for the inconvenience?" That's it, and they just usually give you $5 automatically from there. I racked up about $30-40 in credits over the recent holiday season.
Tread very carefully... for you're now surely a "devil" customer of Amazon and will be getting the ban hammer shorty if you continue to exercise your muscle against the Amazon monster...
Old 01-16-22, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Tread very carefully... for you're now surely a "devil" customer of Amazon and will be getting the ban hammer shorty if you continue to exercise your muscle against the Amazon monster...
I've been doing it for at least 5 years, usually about 5-10 times a year for the packages that are genuinely late, and haven't had a problem yet. \_(ツ)_/
Old 01-17-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Well, bought Cruella 4K from Amazon and they sent me an opened, return version (fingerprints even on the 4K disc). Probably plays fine but I paid for a new copy so returning it.
Well, got to give them credit, they got me another copy out in only a couple days...
Old 01-22-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

So you used to be able to sample MP3 tracks on Amazon, on the actual item's page. The first 30 seconds or so. Which was usually enough for me to get a feel if I would like the album.
It looks like that changed? Now I try to check out the MP3 track of a CD I want to buy, and it kicks me over to Amazon Music, which then says "You can't listen to tracks on demand without paying for Amazon Music membership".
I know I can go to Youtube or a bunch of other sites to check out the music, but this seems like a stupid change that doesn't really benefit anyone (what, I'm going to pirate the first 30 seconds of a song?) and is very annoying to the customer (at least to me). The purpose is probably to push me to the membership, but that won't do it.
Anyone else run into this, or know anything else about this consumer-unfriendly change?
Old 01-22-22, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
So you used to be able to sample MP3 tracks on Amazon, on the actual item's page. The first 30 seconds or so. Which was usually enough for me to get a feel if I would like the album.
It looks like that changed? Now I try to check out the MP3 track of a CD I want to buy, and it kicks me over to Amazon Music, which then says "You can't listen to tracks on demand without paying for Amazon Music membership".
I know I can go to Youtube or a bunch of other sites to check out the music, but this seems like a stupid change that doesn't really benefit anyone (what, I'm going to pirate the first 30 seconds of a song?) and is very annoying to the customer (at least to me). The purpose is probably to push me to the membership, but that won't do it.
Anyone else run into this, or know anything else about this consumer-unfriendly change?
Would not surprise me if Amazon drops the free 30-second samples. Amazon was actually paying the labels for that privilege and they want to bolster their digital music service subscriptions. Like you said, you'll just have to use YouTube sampling songs.
Old 01-22-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just today I sampled some tracks using Chrome on Android. And earlier I sampled some tracks on Edge on my Windows 10 Laptop.

I had read it doesn't work on all browsers or all platforms/OS.
Old 01-22-22, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 411 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Would not surprise me if Amazon drops the free 30-second samples. Amazon was actually paying the labels for that privilege and they want to bolster their digital music service subscriptions. Like you said, you'll just have to use YouTube sampling songs.
The catch with that is that if you're looking for a specific recording of a song, it maybe difficult to ensure that's the one you're hearing, on YouTube. Whereas the sample on Amazon is almost certainly the one you'd be buying.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.