Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 04-20-20, 05:58 PM
  #1451  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 63,313
Received 685 Likes on 505 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

It looks like they are picking and choosing some pre-orders to kill.

They killed Ip Man 4 (4K) and they killed the new Fatal Attraction Paramount Presents that was coming out this week.
Old 04-20-20, 08:07 PM
  #1452  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
IDrinkMolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DE
Posts: 4,177
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I've been noticing a lot of non-essential stuff OOS this past week.
Old 04-21-20, 01:25 AM
  #1453  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 41,955
Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
I've been noticing a lot of non-essential stuff OOS this past week.
I've been hearing they're only marking many non-essential stuff as being OOS, while they actually do have them, but they don't want to incur the risk of people ordering frivolous bullshit for the time being.
Old 04-21-20, 09:10 AM
  #1454  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,568
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

They *have* removed the "Recommended for you" and "People who purchased xxx also purchased yyy" stuff. They've also changed the cart to make it easier to move "non-essential" products out. AND are not doing a Mother's/Father's Day promotion *nor* the July Amazon Prime Day promotion. All of that is to discourage purchase of non-essential products.
Old 04-21-20, 07:41 PM
  #1455  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 63,313
Received 685 Likes on 505 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Amazon has cut off all shipments for the new Bad Boys for Life physical media release this week. I pre-ordered it and it's coming this Thursday, But now, it's completely cut off on 4K, BD and DVD.
Old 04-21-20, 10:53 PM
  #1456  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,915
Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

So is the new release 4K release of Top Gun being delayed until December? I tried looking it up on Amazon and the listing is saying its not available.
Update-After lurking around on that other message board that shall not be named here it might be delayed until December 8th.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-21-20 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 10:56 PM
  #1457  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,367
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
So is the new release 4K release of Top Gun being delayed on December? I tried looking it up on Amazon and the listing is saying its not available.
That's weird. My Target preorder still says "Ships by release date Tue, May 19".
Old 04-21-20, 11:08 PM
  #1458  
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator
 
WTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,929
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
So is the new release 4K release of Top Gun being delayed on December? I tried looking it up on Amazon and the listing is saying its not available.
Update-After lurking around on that other message board that shall not be named here it might be delayed until December 8th.
FWIW, Amazon updated many of pre-order listings (4K, BD, DVD, video games,...) to "Currently unavailable" sometime today.
Old 04-21-20, 11:10 PM
  #1459  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,135
Received 191 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

I just checked Amazon. It had an important message.

3 items have been moved to the Saved for Later section of your Cart.

The following items are no longer available from the seller you selected. We have moved the following items to the saved Items section of your Shopping Cart:
  • Jaws [Blu-ray]
  • War of the Worlds
  • Top Gun
Old 04-21-20, 11:34 PM
  #1460  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 63,313
Received 685 Likes on 505 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Amazon is putting a stop to non-essential items like BD pre-orders. A few from this week got killed and are currently unavailable.
Old 04-22-20, 12:52 AM
  #1461  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 23,660
Received 353 Likes on 240 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Amazon is putting a stop to non-essential items like BD pre-orders.
It might be a temporary hiccup. Amazon killed all video game preorders earlier today, but they’re back now:


When I do some quick browsing for upcoming movies, Jaws is the only one listed as currently unavailable in the first couple pages of results.
Old 04-22-20, 02:50 AM
  #1462  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,910
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
They *have* removed the "Recommended for you" and "People who purchased xxx also purchased yyy" stuff. They've also changed the cart to make it easier to move "non-essential" products out. AND are not doing a Mother's/Father's Day promotion *nor* the July Amazon Prime Day promotion. All of that is to discourage purchase of non-essential products.
All of this just gives them the excuse to raise prices across the board on what they consider "non-essential" products. More profit for them in the guise of doing a "good" deed. Good, my ass! Good for Amazon and their mountains of cash that they're rolling around in, and flaunting.
Old 04-22-20, 03:28 AM
  #1463  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 41,955
Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Amazon has cut off all shipments for the new Bad Boys for Life physical media release this week. I pre-ordered it and it's coming this Thursday, But now, it's completely cut off on 4K, BD and DVD.
Try bullmoose.com - all they sell is physical media, so they're still shipping, and they have the same prices as amazon.
Old 04-22-20, 12:55 PM
  #1464  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,568
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
All of this just gives them the excuse to raise prices across the board on what they consider "non-essential" products. More profit for them in the guise of doing a "good" deed. Good, my ass! Good for Amazon and their mountains of cash that they're rolling around in, and flaunting.
I'm not seeing this at all for products sold by Amazon. They're either very consistent or have the normal fluctuations depending on who they're price matching. On the other hand - I *am* seeing this from some MP vendors - whether or not they're using "Fulfilled by Amazon" services. The MP vendors I normally use haven't done this and still have prices in what I'd consider the "normal" range.
Old 04-22-20, 01:18 PM
  #1465  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,583
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Last week I had a preorder for the Criminal Minds final season dvd, which was cut off. Most likely the nearby amazon warehouses didn't get any copies, and they didn't want to ship something over 1000 miles.

I ended up cancelling it altogether.
Old 04-22-20, 01:44 PM
  #1466  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,015
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Sure glad to see that the complaining about Amazon thread is alive and well.

I posted (probably around 2013) in this thread, that if people complaining about the cost of Amazon prime had simply bought one share of Amazon that prior year, they would have recouped their full cost for Amazon Prime.

Update: Amazon stock now stands around $2,370 per share at the moment. Meaning that that the profit from one share of Amazon would pay for about 20 years of Amazon Prime (at its current cost). Amazon stock has averaged about a 38% ANNUAL return over the period 2013-2020.

Now ... back to the complaining ...



The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (04-22-20)
Old 04-22-20, 03:30 PM
  #1467  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,915
Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Well I checked Amazon again the preorder for Top Gun is back up and showing a release date of May 19th, but the Steelbook is listed now for December 8th.
Old 04-22-20, 03:46 PM
  #1468  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,680
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

How much exactly can Amazon be shipping more now while cutting out or delaying what they see as non-essential goods? There are hardly any essential goods available to become priority. Are wipes available? Nope! Sanitizer? You have to be kidding.
Old 04-22-20, 04:06 PM
  #1469  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,976
Received 207 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread


Old 04-22-20, 04:43 PM
  #1470  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,189
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I should have bought stock so I could have used that money to replace all of the broken jewel cases I have had to buy over the years because of amazon's shitty packaging.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-22-20)
Old 04-22-20, 05:31 PM
  #1471  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,015
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I should have bought stock so I could have used that money to replace all of the broken jewel cases I have had to buy over the years because of amazon's shitty packaging.
and yet you still continue to buy from them.

Old 04-23-20, 12:59 AM
  #1472  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,910
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Sure glad to see that the complaining about Amazon thread is alive and well.

I posted (probably around 2013) in this thread, that if people complaining about the cost of Amazon prime had simply bought one share of Amazon that prior year, they would have recouped their full cost for Amazon Prime.

Update: Amazon stock now stands around $2,370 per share at the moment. Meaning that that the profit from one share of Amazon would pay for about 20 years of Amazon Prime (at its current cost). Amazon stock has averaged about a 38% ANNUAL return over the period 2013-2020.

Now ... back to the complaining ...
... And that's at the crux of the matter. The trouble is, Amazon puts their shareholders and their precious stock above everything and everyone else. To their public's disadvantage. So, the complaints continue. I'm not putting any trust in a monopolistic company who thinks it can do no harm, harnessing everyone in they can bamboozle with their "benevolent hand." They're doing, and have done, irreparable harm in limiting choice and squashing the little local businesses. More will fail directly due to them because of COVID-19, which of course will tighten their strangehold over the elimination of competition. One result from this: higher prices and less quality. If they're so big and "can't fail" why should they even try? Slippery slope...
The following 2 users liked this post by zyzzle:
funkyryno (05-16-20), joe_b (04-23-20)
Old 04-23-20, 10:34 AM
  #1473  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,015
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
... And that's at the crux of the matter. The trouble is, Amazon puts their shareholders and their precious stock above everything and everyone else. To their public's disadvantage. So, the complaints continue. I'm not putting any trust in a monopolistic company who thinks it can do no harm, harnessing everyone in they can bamboozle with their "benevolent hand." They're doing, and have done, irreparable harm in limiting choice and squashing the little local businesses. More will fail directly due to them because of COVID-19, which of course will tighten their strangehold over the elimination of competition. One result from this: higher prices and less quality. If they're so big and "can't fail" why should they even try? Slippery slope...
That's not true. The key trouble is that Amazon puts its customers above everyone else. So, it's to the consumer's advantage that Amazon exists. Do others get hurt in the process? Of course.

If you're unhappy that they have succeeded, I understand that. But people were really unhappy with how Wal-Mart and Costco and other big box retailers succeeded in the 1980's putting an untold number of local merchants out of business. And what came out of that? Adapt or fail.

There is no putting the genie back into the bottle. If not Amazon, then Alibaba or some other group we don't even know about. Meanwhile, there are hundreds of thousands of third-party merchants in Amazon Marketplace. Do they like what Amazon decides? Heck no. But, if the government were to force Amazon to make the third-party marketplace separate from Amazon itself, most would go kicking and screaming to Congress to stop that madness.

As for employees, heck, wait to Amazon perfects a picking robot with the dexterity close to that of a human. Forget about all those warehouse jobs and food prep jobs at McDonalds et cetera.

Andrew Yang has it right, best to just send checks to citizens and allow them to adapt to the future. As the future is going to happen anyway.

Last edited by ctyankee; 04-23-20 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (04-23-20)
Old 04-23-20, 11:27 AM
  #1474  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 8,915
Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
How much exactly can Amazon be shipping more now while cutting out or delaying what they see as non-essential goods? There are hardly any essential goods available to become priority. Are wipes available? Nope! Sanitizer? You have to be kidding.
I placed an order on April 6th for a multivitamin pack I like and a hallmark dvd and they said it'll be delivered by May 4th. Once it arrives it'll be my last Amazon order until their shipping schedules return to normal.
Old 04-23-20, 11:54 AM
  #1475  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 10,874
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
How much exactly can Amazon be shipping more now while cutting out or delaying what they see as non-essential goods? There are hardly any essential goods available to become priority. Are wipes available? Nope! Sanitizer? You have to be kidding.
Except for Sparkling Ice there is nothing essential that I would normally order that's in stock but if they want to refuse my money for non-essential then fine.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.