Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 03-31-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I did a online chat asking them to deliver a package after 4pm and they said they would do it but it arrived around 1pm.
Old 04-03-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just received a yellow envelope from amazon with nothing inside. The post office put a sticker across where the envelope should have been sealed stating that it was open when they received it. Both items are nowhere to be found. I did get a refund since both CDs were the last ones listed on the site.
Old 04-07-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a long-time customer, I have virtually no complaints about Amazon's reliability or trustworthiness, but I take enormous exception to its ruthless, predatory business and employment practices. This leaves my with a certain amount of self-loathing for continuing to be a customer.
Old 04-08-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I'd never had a complaint about the Amazon return process in nearly twenty years, but now I've had two issues in a row:

I returned a book with busted binding back in December. UPS tracking showed it was returned, but I waited two weeks before calling customer service to ask why I hadn't been refunded. They ended up issuing the amount as a courtesy credit (since I'd paid with a gift card, I didn't mind this), but the order page still incorrectly shows the return was not received.

Cut to this month, I was sent a defective charger (twice) and had to return it for a refund. It was delivered back to them over a week ago, but still no refund. In the past, they've usually issued it as soon as the package was scanned by UPS and en route back to their warehouse. There's also no holiday backup to account for this delay. Other than that screw up from December, it's never taken this long for them to process a refund.
The only problem with the courtesy credit is that you can only purchase items sold by Amazon with the credits. If ity is sold by an Amazon seller, even if it is shipped by Amazon will not be eligible for purchase with the courtesy credit.
Old 04-08-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
As a long-time customer, I have virtually no complaints about Amazon's reliability or trustworthiness, but I take enormous exception to its ruthless, predatory business and employment practices. This leaves my with a certain amount of self-loathing for continuing to be a customer.
That's right, as a longtime customer (going back to 1995/96), I found their reliability and trustworthiness to be top-notch until around 2007 or so. Then the bullshit (greedy, predatory things) started, they became "too big" and reliability started going downhill. Packages often arrived damaged and / or inappropriately packaged. But, reliability was still good, and so was customer service.

The last 5 years have been dwindling, going toward the doggerel comedy of "evil" business practices. So, I no longer support them or shop there because of the principle of the matter. I eschew their current practices and make every effort to open people's eyes -- that Amazon is not their friend anymore! One of the three "evil" companies -- Amazon, Apple, Google being the trifecta... Verizon and AT&T (and the ISPs) getting dishonorable mention as "evil"-mongers as well.
Old 04-08-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hate to break it to you but amazon was never your friend...
Old 04-09-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's right, as a longtime customer (going back to 1995/96), I found their reliability and trustworthiness to be top-notch until around 2007 or so. Then the bullshit (greedy, predatory things) started, they became "too big" and reliability started going downhill. Packages often arrived damaged and / or inappropriately packaged. But, reliability was still good, and so was customer service.
I honestly have not noticed any decline in reliability or the quality of the customer service (which I hardly ever need because of the reliability), but I am extremely bothered by Bezos's absolutely obscene accumulation of wealth (and no doubt that of other executives), especially when contrasted with the company's notorious economic exploitation of its workers. It's a dilemma. The convenience and savings for a veritable low-income hermit like me is undeniable, but I chafe at supporting a company whose apparently diabolical practices I revile.
Old 04-09-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had an item not arrive this past Thursday on it's scheduled date with some other things. Later in the evening, everything got marked as delivered including the missing item. Logged into their live chat, explained the issue, said I was home for the delivery so there was no way it could have been taken, and they had a new one at my door on Sunday. Pretty damn good service, IMO.
Old 04-09-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone use Amazon locker and how does that work when you want to pick up the package? Is there a limit to how long they will hold the package?

I hope they don't call you to pick up the package. I can find out if it has arrived by checking online.
Old 04-10-19, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I honestly have not noticed any decline in reliability or the quality of the customer service (which I hardly ever need because of the reliability), but I am extremely bothered by Bezos's absolutely obscene accumulation of wealth (and no doubt that of other executives), especially when contrasted with the company's notorious economic exploitation of its workers. It's a dilemma. The convenience and savings for a veritable low-income hermit like me is undeniable, but I chafe at supporting a company whose apparently diabolical practices I revile.
Well stated. That's my main bother as well, but it's not a dilemma. It's GREED and out-of-control expansion that's caused it.

Honestly, the decline in reliability I noted, is small potatoes compared to the more nefarious obscene accumilation of wealth (and, thereby, power) that Bezos has accrued. He tends toward the more "evil" things rather than the "good" things in the way he brandishes that wealth and power. That's my problem with Amazon -- and it should also be other peoples' problem, but they're blinded by the conveneince that Amazon offers. So, they go along in their selfish inclinations, as is their wont. And Amazon gets more and more out of control by the month.
Old 04-10-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Good for you that you have been able to cease shopping there. I will get to that point too, but a few customers lost due to the unmitigated greed of oligarch Bezos won't stop the Amazon juggernaut.
Old 04-15-19, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's my problem with Amazon -- and it should also be other peoples' problem, but they're blinded by the conveneince that Amazon offers. So, they go along in their selfish inclinations, as is their wont. And Amazon gets more and more out of control by the month.
As long as Amazon is cheap, convenient and offers relatively fast shipping, they've got my $. I'm not losing any sleep over "corporate greed," which is par for the course with any successful large company.
Old 04-15-19, 06:39 PM

A recent complaint from me: I've received several items over the last few months where the boxes contained inadequate packing material to prevent damage or the items (notably hardcover boxes) were shipped in bubble envelopes. I've complained once to a customer service rep and got to two items comped to me, which earns Amazon a big thumbs up. However, I keep receiving items that are crunched, which is annoying.

Honestly, the decline in reliability I noted, is small potatoes compared to the more nefarious obscene accumilation of wealth (and, thereby, power) that Bezos has accrued. He tends toward the more "evil" things rather than the "good" things in the way he brandishes that wealth and power. That's my problem with Amazon -- and it should also be other peoples' problem, but they're blinded by the conveneince that Amazon offers. So, they go along in their selfish inclinations, as is their wont. And Amazon gets more and more out of control by the month.
Yeah, Bezos certainly isn't rushing to help solve the world's problems with his newfound wealth in the same way that Bill and Melinda Gates are. Amazon is starting to make Walmart looks like the good guy.