Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I think a great deal on bookshelf speakers right now are the Wharfdale Denton 80th anniversary. Retail was $1000 now $500 at Music direct and they have a demo set for $400. Look sweet too. Don't like how they sound, return them easily. This is all assuming you have something to power them with.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-107091-...eakers-pr.aspx
Old 09-06-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks like the John Carpenter "Lost Themes Remixed" vinyl is up for pre-order over at Sacred Bones. There are 3 different versions:

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/co...themes-remixed
Old 09-06-15, 02:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
2) Also, what are the opinions on headphones for vinyl? I have heard Grado's are good. Curious to know if the popping and hissing that vinyl can create sometimes (which I don't mind) is a bit more annoying or severely pronounced when it's directly in your ears?

3) I have the Project Debut Carbon. If I wanted to switch the Red cart out and install the Blue cart, how would I go about doing it? Do you just pop it off and pop the blue on? Do you have to unscrew the entire head or tone arm? I've never done this and don't see a single YouTube video on it.
2) check out Beyerdynamic. You'll hear more of everything with a good pair of hi-fi phones. Personally, I love the experience.

3) since you have the Red already, you only need the Blue stylus and not the entire Blue cart. The stylus casing simply slips off and the new one slides on. Takes 10 seconds. The Red and Blue Carts have the same weight and internal components so are completely interchangeable. Only difference is the diamond, but a noteworthy one IMO. A seller on eBay has them for sale. That's what I recently did.
Old 09-06-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and links.

The unit is a Pioneer PL-88FS. While it has an AC cable and a set of stereo RCA connects, it also has a ground connector. Based on that intro to turntable article the ground signifies it needs a preamp.
My receiver won't do that via an aux input? It does have a signal ground, so I assume I can just connect up the ground wire.
Old 09-06-15, 06:53 PM

Guys, any recommendations on a basic, yet quality amp, to be used for a dedicated phono setup only? I have a separate system for headphone listening and am thinking of adding speakers. Currently I have a Cambridge preamp, feeding to a Little Dot headphone amp. I'd simply feed the Little Dot to an amp and then to the speakers. I don't need a ton of Amp inputs since it wouldn't be used for any other sources.
Old 09-06-15, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07

The unit is a Pioneer PL-88FS. While it has an AC cable and a set of stereo RCA connects, it also has a ground connector. Based on that intro to turntable article the ground signifies it needs a preamp.
My receiver won't do that via an aux input? It does have a signal ground, so I assume I can just connect up the ground wire.
Definitely needs a phono labeled jack. Another good phono pre out there I don't have expereience with but keep hearing good things is the Lounge which seems to only be sold on eBay. $300 but supposedly rivals more expensive units.

Edit: I really need to stop posting on my phone.

Geofferson when you say Amp you don't mean just a power amp right? But one that might be like an integrated? With just a few in/outs?

Last edited by MBoyd; 09-06-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Definitely needs a phono labeled jack. Another good phono pre out there I don't have e patience with but keep hearing good things is the Lounge which seems to only be sold on eBay. $300 but supposedly rivals more expensive units.

Geofferson when you say aamp you don't mean just a power amp right? But one that might be like an integrated? With just a few in/outs?
That's right. Just need a few in/out options since itd be dedicated for phono playback. Would be fed inputs from a phono preamp, headphone amp. Output would be to a couple passive bookshelf speakers.
Old 09-06-15, 08:51 PM

Seems like pretty much everything has a ton of inputs. There a Yamaha integrated for 350 on Amazon. It actually has a phono in but I'm sure your separate would beat it sound wise.
Old 09-06-15, 08:59 PM

Seems like pretty much everything has a ton of inputs. There a Yamaha integrated for 350 on Amazon. It actually has a phono in but I'm sure your separate would beat it sound wise.
Thanks. I was looking at the Cambridge 351 Azur. Relatively compact and would sit well with the Azur preamp I already have.
Old 09-07-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So good news is my receiver has a phono input to go with the ground. Player still had a record in it so I was able to confirm it plays. However, the motor to open the door is hardly working, and once I swapped a disc the arm keeps resetting and won't play.

Any idea what I'd be looking at to get it fixed? If the repair is cheap enough, any sense in upgrading the cartridge? No idea how a repair would look next to getting a new $250-400 player.
Old 09-07-15, 07:08 PM

I just realized you have a linear tracker turntable. Some of those sound quite good and are often highly desirable due to the fact that inner groove distortion is better handled on them.

I've heard two linear trackers - a Technics with the drawer and a higher end pioneer that doesn't load with a drawer, but instead has a dust cover. They can get pretty pricy to repair I've heard. I know my friend who owns the vintage stereo store spent quite a bit to have 3 repaired by stealing parts from 2 others. They worked for a while and now they don't.

I'd ask the guys on audiokarama.org in the turn table section. If it's over $200 though to get it fixed, I'd probably start looking at new.

Oh and due to the type of arm, the cartridge upgrade may be limited. Someone on Audiokarma would know for sure. Might just need a new stylus.

EDIT: ok forget everything I said! I just saw a YouTube video. Not a linear tracker! wild. I have honestly not seen one of these before.

Last edited by MBoyd; 09-07-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Id have to take a look at the entire system, but I think it's from 83-85. I'll take a look on that site and look into contacting a local shop too.
Old 09-08-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 912 Likes on 555 Posts

That brings back memories - I used to have the same exact unit. Lost in in a divorce.

Id have to take a look at the entire system, but I think it's from 83-85. I'll take a look on that site and look into contacting a local shop too.
Dates sound accurate to me for when I would have gotten mine...probably more toward the latter part for me.
Old 09-08-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I've got a set of Audioengine A5+ speakers

I'm very happy with them. Full sound, built-in amp and subwoofer output. They also sell passive speakers if you don't need/want their amp. They're hands down the best computers speakers I've ever heard.

I can plug a newer turntable into them too. Haven't yet, but keep thinking about it.
Second this recommendation. I recently picked up a pair to run with my office system (LP60 with pre-amp going into powered speakers) and they sound fantastic.
Old 09-09-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I noticed a very slight hum with mine. I think it was the platter from what I read. Upgraded the platter to acrylic and it's gone. The Ortofon Red is a great cart although I swapped it out for the Blue

I would still recommend Project over U-turn. Though their product and offerings have improved.
Did you have to set it all up again after installing the Blue or did you just swap them out? Did it make a difference?
Old 09-09-15, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114
Did you have to set it all up again after installing the Blue or did you just swap them out? Did it make a difference?
Simply swapped them out. The Red/Blue have the same weight and components (except the diamond) so there's no need to recalibrate the tone arm or any other settings.

I was already impressed with the performance of the Red and was curious how the Blue would sound based on reviews I read. The difference isn't night and day, but I do notice more punch to the bass, less background noise and noticeably more clarity. The clarity is what jumped out at me most when listening via headphones - my speakers, not so much. The improvements aren't night and day difference, but the Blue improves on the strengths the Red already has, if that makes sense. This is consistent with other feedback I've seen.

If I had to swap out the entire cart, I probably would have stuck with the Red and been happy with it, but since the stylus can be easily swapped (and keeping the existing cart), I figured I'd give it a try. Happy I did.
Old 09-09-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So Mondo is releasing another Die-Cut single in the form of Superman's shield logo similar to the Bat shaped Die-Cut single they did for Batman: The Animated Series. The single contains the opening and closing themes for Superman: The Animated Series on Side A and the opening and closing themes for The New Batman/Superman Adventures on Side B. Its being pressed on red or Kryptonite green vinyl.
Old 09-09-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called the local repair shop and explained the symptoms. Gentleman suggest I'm looking around a $300 repair. For that money I can get an entry player at the store, or for some more I imagine a better unit.
So either I'm out of this vinyl experiment before it begins or on the hunt for a turntable. A new amp was next on my list, plus I keep lusting after some KEF LS-50.
Old 09-09-15, 07:49 PM

I think there is a solution out there. We have mentioned the Uturn a few times. Www.uturnaudio.com $179 gets your foot in the door. Spec it out a little or wait and do it a piece at a time.

And I do hear good things about those KEFs.
Old 09-09-15, 11:37 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Andrew Jones has a new line of speakers coming out this Fall. He's partnered with the German outfit, Elac, on their new speaker line called the Debut series.

Premiered at some AV shows earlier this year. Initial results were positive and there's a decent amount of buzz about their performance. For those in the market for new bookshelf speakers, you might want to wait until October, which is when these will be released, for the final verdict.

http://elac.us/debutproducts
Old 09-09-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think there is a solution out there. We have mentioned the Uturn a few times. Www.uturnaudio.com $179 gets your foot in the door. Spec it out a little or wait and do it a piece at a time.

And I do hear good things about those KEFs.
Nice!
Old 09-10-15, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Andrew Jones has a new line of speakers coming out this Fall. He's partnered with the German outfit, Elac, on their new speaker line called the Debut series.

Premiered at some AV shows earlier this year. Initial results were positive and there's a decent amount of buzz about their performance. For those in the market for new bookshelf speakers, you might want to wait until October, which is when these will be released, for the final verdict.

http://elac.us/debutproducts
Yeah, I had my eye on those but decided to go with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers because they were over about $140 less for the pair.

ELAC did say they were planning on having Jones design higher end speakers, but these ones are to test the waters.
Old 09-12-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Just thought I'd chime in to say I'm LOVING the Mad Max: Fury Road score that Mondo put out. Not only is the score itself really good, but this vinyl release is gorgeous in every way. I don't often go for Mondo releases as they can be pretty pricey, but this one was totally worth it.
Old 09-12-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Newbury Comics is having a "$20 and Under" sale on some select vinyl titles, both in store, and on their website. Many are exclusive colored vinyl versions available only through them, too.

The standard version of John Carpenter - Lost Themes is one of them, as well.

http://www.newburycomics.com/collect...wenty-under-20
Old 09-21-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spun the MONDO Fury Road vinyl and it was exquisite!

My favorite film of the year and one of my favorite scores of the year, too!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.