Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 11-22-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Last things purchased:

Shooting Guns - Wolfcop soundtrack (pretty good, heavy/synthy)
Faust - Faust ('79 repress)
Bitchin' Bajas - Bitchin' Bajas (for fans of Terry Riley and Krautrock)
William Onyeabor - Box Set 1

Anyone interested in African music should check out William Onyeabor. Even if you're not interested in African music you should still check him out because he transcends the genre. He's a really interesting-mysterious character that made some really interesting music for his time. I became aware of his work through an original African pressing of his Atomic Bomb record that we got in at the store (that I regrettably did not pick up). Then Luaka Bop released a compilation (this is where you should start) and then released this new box set. The company put out a short documentary that's really good (even if you're not interested in the music).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GiaRp0M2fxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-23-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
That's lame when that happens. In my case I haven't had many issues with experiences like this. I am interested in owning so little that I am able to keep tabs on what I want and am usually up-to-date with information concerning upcoming releases I want. Also, it helps that the only real "addiction" I have any more is vinyl. Also, I work in a record store, so you could say that I am at an advantage. But even before I started working in the record-selling industry my life revolved around the art that I like so that was where my attention was focused.

Also, I would like to clarify that I work at a "real" record store, meaning - not something like FYE or Target where there are 15 LPs in a corner somewhere.
Actually there are some FYE's that have a pretty decent vinyl section. Maybe not the greatest prices, but not truly terrible. Either way, on par with Newbury Comics since they moved into Mall locations. YMMV, but it depends on the store, too.

Way, way back in the day, before vinyl went out the first time around, I used to work in one of their predecessors - Record Town. Same company, but they were still independently owned back then. We had tons of vinyl, far more than your average indie store does these days, which slowly gave way to CDs over the years. The average cost of an album was $8. The most expensive ones were $10, and cheaper ones were around $5. Cut outs were $1 to $3. Ah, the glory days.

Even with inflation and 180 gram vinyl, I still shudder at the cost of some vinyl these days. To think that people used to bitch about $18 CDs? Practically seems like a bargain now. Sometimes I still find it amusing that even used vinyl, which less than 10 years ago, most places could barely give away for free, goes for more than your average CD will run you nowadays.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-23-14 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 10:57 AM

I will admit that most records are overpriced. Some companies are pretty reasonable with their prices and some are not. I'm not sure why there is such a disparity. I can't understand how one company can produce a single LP in a gatefold sleeve and the store-cost is $8 and another company produces almost the exact same product for a store-cost of $16.

I do have some explanation for why vinyl is so pricey - It's the "new" thing. We're in the middle of a boom right now and companies know this. Demand for vinyl has far exceeded the supply. The plants that are still around can't keep up with orders. Some companies are pretty reasonable with their prices and some are not. I'm not sure why there is such a disparity.

It is also much more costly to produce a record than it is a CD. I have no idea why CDs are still so expensive, it's really ridiculous.

Our vinyl sales are probably three times our CDs sales.
Old 11-23-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will admit that most records are overpriced. Some companies are pretty reasonable with their prices and some are not. I'm not sure why there is such a disparity. I can't understand how one company can produce a single LP in a gatefold sleeve and the store-cost is $8 and another company produces almost the exact same product for a store-cost of $16.

I do have some explanation for why vinyl is so pricey - It's the "new" thing. We're in the middle of a boom right now and companies know this. Demand for vinyl has far exceeded the supply. The plants that are still around can't keep up with orders. Some companies are pretty reasonable with their prices and some are not. I'm not sure why there is such a disparity.

It is also much more costly to produce a record than it is a CD. I have no idea why CDs are still so expensive, it's really ridiculous.

Our vinyl sales are probably three times our CDs sales.
In my experience, it seems to be mostly major label stuff that gets the price hike. I've gotten plenty of album's by bands on indie labels for $14 to $18, yet similar artists signed to major labels push the price from $22 to $30, even if it's only a single album.

Case in point, the new Sloan album Commonwealth. Double album set, printed in a nice hard cardstock gatefold packaging, and with a bonus copy of the CD as well as a digital download, and it was only $20. Had that same release come out on a major, it would have likely been $34 to $40, easy.
Old 11-23-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Got my TV On The Radio set the other day, and while it's super gorgeous, LP #2 has two Side D labels on it.
Where did you get it? It's $24 at Amazon. Hoping for sub $20.
Old 11-24-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a link to photos, descriptions, and approximate pricing for RSDBF items:
http://www.bullmoose.com/c/12467/bla...rd-store-day/0

Mile Davis box = $79, ouch!
Old 11-24-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Where did you get it? It's $24 at Amazon. Hoping for sub $20.
I buy direct from the artists, which means I pay a premium. So this came from MyPlay Direct.
Old 11-24-14, 08:55 PM

I'm new to the forum, so just wanted to say a quick hello. I'm very new to vinyl collecting, don't even own a turntable yet, but looking to purchase one soon. Coworker bought me my first record for my birthday (Jimi Hendrix, The Cry of Love), and have since purchased maybe 5 or so favorite albums from my local record store.

Question for you vinyl folks. For anyone who has bought a vinyl on Amazon, how is their packaging? I ask because I buy books and blu rays ALL the time from amazon, and sometimes their packaging can be poor to terrible. I just worry that if I buy a vinyl or two, they will come packaged in flimsy bubble envelopes or something.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-24-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Short answer...their packaging is first rate. You have nothing to worry about. They do a great job.
Old 11-25-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Packaging is great at Amazon.
2. Don't use vinyl as a noun. Please. Record. Album. Vinyl record. LP.

Old 11-25-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes Amazon overdoes it and it arrives in a record mailer surrounded by a big box!

Amazon is great though and I've good luck with some of the resellers too acquiring new records that are soon OOP.

But good on you for buying local too. I've had a store open 3 miles from my house and buy nearly everything there now.
Old 11-25-14, 09:11 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Agree Amazon sometimes goes overboard on the packaging. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I have 2 record shops w/in 2 miles of where I live and try to give them my routine business. Amazon sometimes makes it difficult though - especially w/their free album streaming option when you buy an LP.
Old 11-25-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
1. Packaging is great at Amazon.
2. Don't use vinyl as a noun. Please. Record. Album. Vinyl record. LP.

At least he didn't say vinlys.
Old 11-25-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I greatly prefer to NEVER buy records from anyone online. I try and buy local whenever possible. I don't like the USPS leaving it out in the elements, I don't like not inspecting the (usually expensive) record before I buy it, and my local shop is often much cheaper.
Old 11-28-14, 09:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

RSD pickups:

The Kinks
New Order
TGTBTU OST

Decided to pass on The Genesis and Hendrix releases last minute. A line of about 6 people outside, but was able to get what I wanted. The Grateful Dead release went quick.

Everyone get what they wanted?

Last edited by Geofferson; 11-28-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 10:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm tempted to hit up my local shop to see if they have any of the Faith No More singles left, but... not too keen on making an effort in this weather.

edit: Mondo's $150 Iron Giant LP is a joke, right? Right...?

Last edited by Dan; 11-28-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything, anyone couldn't find this BF RSD, I'd reccomend hitting up my local indie shop for on Cyber Monday. They are usually pretty good with having leftovers, and at a fair price. I saw plenty of Gateful Dead and Faith No More just an hour ago, and that was just in one of their stores near me.

http://www.bullmoose.com/c/12467/bla...cord-store-day
Old 11-29-14, 02:48 PM

If anyone is interested, gohastings.com has Sonic Highways by the Foo Fighers on Vinyl for 10.96.
Old 11-29-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

edit: Mondo's $150 Iron Giant LP is a joke, right? Right...?
Indeed.
Old 11-30-14, 11:04 AM

The only thing I picked up for myself on Black Friday was the Faith No More 7". I haven't listened to it yet but I plan on putting it on today.

There was just not that much that I wanted at all. The releases this year really weren't that great.

The first three things to go on Friday:

Death Grips - Government Plates LP
Guardians of the Galaxy cassette
Faith No More - Motherfucker 7"
Old 11-30-14, 02:58 PM

The only thing I picked up for myself on Black Friday was the Faith No More 7". I haven't listened to it yet but I plan on putting it on today.

There was just not that much that I wanted at all. The releases this year really weren't that great.

The first three things to go on Friday:

Death Grips - Government Plates LP
Guardians of the Galaxy cassette
Faith No More - Motherfucker 7"
I agree about the releases this year. Too many christmas releases. I ended up with some used discs, but nothing spectacular
Old 11-30-14, 03:36 PM

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I do not have a turntable, however, I purchased my first vinyl album in years when it was a lightning deal, the Godzilla 2014 OST. Amazon includes a free MP3 rip, so I can leave it sealed when it arrives.

My big concern is that it looks like they may have shipped it in one package along with a DVD, blu ray, and the Harry Potter 41lb collectible page to screen book set. I hope that they placed a box containing the album, blu ray, and DVD in a seperate box that they then placed next to the box containing the books, otherwise, I may end up with Blu Ray and vinyl dust being delivered as the books smash into the media items.

Editd to add: I had no reasons to worry, the record was in its own solid mailer. I forgot it also included a poster...very happy with my first vinyl purchase in quite a long time.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 12-02-14 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, l got absolutely nothing. Although I suppose it makes up for last year, where there was almost too much that I wanted.

Was interested in the Mother Love Bone 7", but not at the price it was going for. Seriously, $12 for a 7", two song disc is just too much. I can get whole albums for only a few dollars more. $5 is usually my cut off point for singles.
Old 12-01-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

RSD - I didn't wake up early and got to my local shop around 9:15 and got pretty much what I wanted:

Velvet Underground - Live MCMXCIII (4LP blue vinyl)
Miles Davis - The Prestige Collection, Volume 1 (5 10" box)
Miles Davis - Enigma (10" Blue Note)
Iron Butterfly - Heavy (Mono)
Decemberists 7"
Jenny Lewis 7"

...and...

I just ordered the following from Bull Moose:

The Beatles - Long Tall Sally EP
Miles Davis - Blue Xmas 7"
New Order - Factus 8 EP

Last edited by CRM114; 12-01-14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Target has an online sale going - buy one vinyl record and get the second vinyl 50% off, with free shipping. Tax is additional and this is online only. FYI

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.