Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 06-21-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The VINYL Thread!

Got a set of Grado SR125 headphones yesterday. Real interesting listening to vinyl. I need an extension though so I can reach the couch and be real lazy.

Also got an interesting tube amp to run them. Antique Sound Labs. It's actually a pre amp without a phono stage but does amplify headphones at the flick of a switch. One of the selections is even mini disc, so I guess it's 10-15 years old. Got it used of course. So run one of the output lines from my Dared tube pre for the records. It may be better to dump the Dared eventually and get a stand alone phono stage and then I can try some Moving Coil carts.
Old 06-22-15, 07:52 PM

Bowie set:

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/five-...eptember-54571

FINALLY.
Old 06-22-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
Sweet!
Old 06-23-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Vinyl causes collapse of thrift store:

http://www.10news.com/news/thrift-sh...s-in-hillcrest

This store recently moved to this location, and the old location was bulldozed down. There were a ton of records on the main floor, but at least 10x as much in the back rooms. Before it was destroyed, a local band did a video shoot there. You can see how many records were on the floor, but at about 1:25 of this video you can see the back rooms and how stacked they were with vinyl.

Old 06-23-15, 11:24 AM
Banned by request

That Bowie set looks good, but will probably be expensive as fuck.
Old 06-23-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Vinyl causes collapse of thrift store:

http://www.10news.com/news/thrift-sh...s-in-hillcrest

This store recently moved to this location, and the old location was bulldozed down. There were a ton of records on the main floor, but at least 10x as much in the back rooms. Before it was destroyed, a local band did a video shoot there. You can see how many records were on the floor, but at about 1:25 of this video you can see the back rooms and how stacked they were with vinyl.
That reminds me of an experience I had at a local thrift store several years back. They had shelves and shelves of old records...way more than they could ever possibly hope to sell. I think they were listed at $2 per record. I had a creative furniture project that was going to require a substantial amount of records, so I talked to the manager and offered $50 for as many records as I could fit in a shopping cart, which would have been a small fraction of their inventory. She staunchly refused the offer, despite my arguing that they were going to end up throwing most of those records in a dumpster some day anyway. I'm sure that's exactly what they did, because a few months later they suddenly had no vinyl and the project I had in mind never got off the ground.
Old 06-23-15, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That Bowie set looks good, but will probably be expensive as fuck.
Up for preorder on acousticsounds, price $249.98.

Bowie is one of my favorite artists, in fact, I own doubles of Ziggy and Aladdin on vinyl, but as a recently divorced fella, don't think I can justify buying a boxset in which I own 4 of the 6 studio albums, plus the live Santa Monica '72 on vinyl also.
Old 07-14-15, 10:25 PM
Banned by request

I ordered the EU release of the Iron Maiden "Complete Albums Collection" which isn't complete in any way. It's a box to hold all of the reissued albums (S/T through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son including Live After Death) and the reissues of S/T, Killers, and The Number of the Beast. The set is going for $70 on Amazon, I picked it up from Amazon UK for under $50 shipped, so that's about $16.66 (heh) for each album not including the cost of the box.

Aside from the price, the other reason I ordered it from the UK is because apparently the sound on TNOTB in the US reissue is absolutely awful, and the EU version is significantly better.

Note that these are not the 2015 remasters, which are compressed to hell and back. These were done on an all analogue signal path from the original masters. I'm debating whether to pick up the rest as reissues or track down good copies of the original releases for the rest of the albums. The reissues will likely be cheaper and easier, but may not sound quite as good. I'm not sure my system is good enough for me to detect the difference anyway, though.
Old 07-14-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some pretty good deals on almost 500 albums at BestBuy.com right now. Free shipping on orders over $35.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...LFywqa5mVlSwlg
Old 07-15-15, 11:35 AM
Banned by request

I ordered the EU release of the Iron Maiden "Complete Albums Collection" which isn't complete in any way. It's a box to hold all of the reissued albums (S/T through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son including Live After Death) and the reissues of S/T, Killers, and The Number of the Beast. The set is going for $70 on Amazon, I picked it up from Amazon UK for under $50 shipped, so that's about $16.66 (heh) for each album not including the cost of the box.

Aside from the price, the other reason I ordered it from the UK is because apparently the sound on TNOTB in the US reissue is absolutely awful, and the EU version is significantly better.

Note that these are not the 2015 remasters, which are compressed to hell and back. These were done on an all analogue signal path from the original masters. I'm debating whether to pick up the rest as reissues or track down good copies of the original releases for the rest of the albums. The reissues will likely be cheaper and easier, but may not sound quite as good. I'm not sure my system is good enough for me to detect the difference anyway, though.
I ended up canceling this because I found a sealed US 1st pressing of Number of the Beast on Discogs. Oh, I'm in for it now!
Old 08-21-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished spinning Ghost's new album "Meliora" and it was great but I'm thinking that I may have gotten a bad pressing. Everything was going great until the last 3 songs (Majesty, Absolution, and Deus en Absentia) started skipping all over the place. My player is fine and this is the only LP out o fmy collection that has ever skipped. Before I file for a replacement through Amazon (they're sold out of the LP, too) anyone have any ideas or have gotten any skipping LP's of their own?
Old 08-22-15, 09:50 AM

Only think I could say is maybe clean it if you haven't. I don't think I have ever gotten a record that skips. Loud pops sure. But not just skipping all over.

I typically clean even new records but got the Tron Legacy reissue this week and plopped it right on. Played and sounded great. Got to the 4th side and didn't even bother playing it after a carbon fiber brushing. Looked like there was wood shavings all over it! so I will clean it today.

By the way, I have been posting a bunch of my vinyl spins on and music related pics on Instagram if any of you guys want to check it out. Account- VinylFanMichael
Old 08-22-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only think I could say is maybe clean it if you haven't. I don't think I have ever gotten a record that skips. Loud pops sure. But not just skipping all over.

I typically clean even new records but got the Tron Legacy reissue this week and plopped it right on. Played and sounded great. Got to the 4th side and didn't even bother playing it after a carbon fiber brushing. Looked like there was wood shavings all over it! so I will clean it today.

By the way, I have been posting a bunch of my vinyl spins on and music related pics on Instagram if any of you guys want to check it out. Account- VinylFanMichael
Thanks. I cleaned it again - the surface is still flawless but it skipped in the same areas. Looks like this bad boy is going back for a replacement.
Old 08-25-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, my replacement of the Meliora Lp came in today and I spun it and it skipped all over the place in the very same exact spots the previous one skipped on.

Yeah, I'll say that Amazon got a bad batch. Here's hoping the giant boxed set due to come from Sweden next week is flawless otherwise I will be beyond pissed.
Old 08-25-15, 02:23 PM

Wild. I bet the whole lot is faulty! But what's your brand of stylus?
Old 08-25-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wild. I bet the whole lot is faulty! But what's your brand of stylus?

Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Stereo Turntable System
Old 08-26-15, 05:38 PM

Ordered Pretty Hate Machine after it was posted in the deals thread and waited over a month for Amazon to ship. When I finally got it yesterday it was loaded with skips, over half the songs have an issue. Cleaned the record, cleaned the needle and still the same. I have the same player as Blu and have never had an issue before. I'm hoping the replacement is a better copy, I'm just glad it's something I purchased on a whim and not a new album I was waiting for!
Old 08-26-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Amazon sent me another email saying that instead of shipping me what would be a third copy of the Ghost album they're just going to refund my money. Sigh.

I got a shipping notice this morning from Bengans in Sweden saying that the boxed set is on its way.
Old 08-27-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dropped by the local CD Trader. Nothing extraordinary but found a lot of good deals for $3, Buy 5 Get 1 Free on vinyl.

Old 08-28-15, 07:00 PM

I have that Streisand record with the Bee Gee. It actually sounds really good.

I barely buy new music but started seeing this Beach House record Depression Cherry all over my feed today. It worked. Picked up a copy for $20. Pretty awesome. Hypnotic. Music you can lose yourself in. Listening through the second time.

8.99 on Amazon for Prime members. It's a 1-3 week wait so I hesitate putting it in the deals thread.
Old 08-28-15, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

I bought the Beach House on iTunes (also $8.99) and thought it was a disappointment compared to their last two records.
Old 08-28-15, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

Not totally vinyl related, but I picked up a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22's yesterday to replaced my old and inadequate JBL home theater in a box speakers that I was using for my main system. I know this series isn't going to go toe to toe with $1500+ speakers, but for under $100 they're a serious upgrade to my system. My vinyl has never sounded so good.
Old 08-29-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have that Streisand record with the Bee Gee. It actually sounds really good.
I'm a bigtime Barry Gibb fan (not so much Streisand, but that voice is undeniable), and "Guilty" sounds INCREDIBLE. They just don't produce and engineer albums with this warmth of clarity and depth of precision like they did back then.
Old 09-04-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Swedish import of Meliora (Ghost) came in this morning - spun it and it's flawless. The ironic part is that the special 10 inch vinyl of "Zenith" will not play on my player. My player can only handle 7 & 12 LP's. I guess I need a better player or one that has a manual needle arm. My collector's set is #1502

Old 09-04-15, 02:49 PM

Not totally vinyl related, but I picked up a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22's yesterday to replaced my old and inadequate JBL home theater in a box speakers that I was using for my main system. I know this series isn't going to go toe to toe with $1500+ speakers, but for under $100 they're a serious upgrade to my system. My vinyl has never sounded so good.
Good choice. Andrew Jones designed some great, quality speakers and the Pioneer's are arguably the best at their pricepoint. I have a similar set of Pioneer and couldn't be happier.

Their not meant to compete with the serious high-end stuff, but they have a great soundstage, compliment LPs nicely, and routinely receive positive write-ups.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.