Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 12:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

There are enough DVD Talkers in SoCal who love vinyl that we could all go in on a business venture. Just sayin.
Old 03-24-14, 10:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Ah! I'm guessing Cheapo - Uptown and Electric Fetus, perhaps? Hopefully they release their plans soon.
Nope. Roadrunner and Know Name Records -- both are a couple miles south of the ones you mention. Vinyl lovers in Mpls are pretty spoiled since there are several local stores to choose from. Nice find on the Tycho, btw. They're coming to First Ave next month.
Old 03-24-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Nope. Roadrunner and Know Name Records -- both are a couple miles south of the ones you mention. Vinyl lovers in Mpls are pretty spoiled since there are several local stores to choose from. Nice find on the Tycho, btw. They're coming to First Ave next month.
Shows what I know, haha! Know Name sounds pretty familiar, I think my buddy who grew up in Richfield used to go there for CDs many years ago.

Really? That's awesome, I might have to go check them out again. I saw them at the Varsity in Summer '12 and it was certainly a one-of-a-kind show that had a distinct summer feel to it.

Hopefully we can get some details on local shops RSD soon.
Old 03-24-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up a few items this weekend.

Flaming Lips - Heady Fwends (RSD 2012? release for $30)
Ryan Adams and Cardinals - Cold Roses (true 2LP and one of the greatest albums of all time) - $15
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan - $15
Laura Nyro - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat - $5
Kate Bush - The Dreaming - $3
Sinead O'Connor - Lion and the Cobra - $3

and some for 50 cents each: Led Zeppelin II, Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps, Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull, and others I can't recall.

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I'm visiting LA for the first time in two months. Amoeba is my second stop after I land.
There is an Amoeba in San Franciso too. (At least there used to be.) Never been to the one in LA.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The outer sleeves that Amoeba sells are perfect for thick/gatefold/multidisc albums. Not good for standard single-disc records. The inner sleeves don't have any plastic lining so I don't bother with them.
Plastic lined sleeves back in the day sucked because they'd inevitably stick to the record. Paper only for me.

Last edited by CRM114; 03-24-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

There is an Amoeba in San Franciso too. (At least there used to be.) Never been to the one in LA.
There's two up there. One in Frisco and other in Berkeley.
Old 03-24-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding Record Store Day.

I see MGMT is re-releasing Congratulations. I wonder if its the scratch off cover? Better not be. Fuckers.

This is the list I'll be working from. Can't find release numbers on most of them:

Neko Case - Satellite of Love
Devo - Live At Max's Kansas City - November 15, 1977 (2000 copies)
Fishbone - Fishbone (Red Vinyl)
Flaming Lips/Devo - Side By Side:Gates of Steel [Silver Vinyl] (7,500 copies)
Grateful Dead - Live at Hampton Colliseum [2LP 180 Gram]
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living (1978)
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular [180 Gram]
Oasis - Supersonic
Oberst,Conor/Dawes - Split 7"
R.E.M. - Unplugged 1991/2001: Complete Sessions [4LP]
Stranglers - Peaches/Go Buddy Go [Green Vinyl]
Tame Impala - Live Versions
Velvet Underground - Loaded [Pink/White/Black Splatter Colored]
Old 03-24-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There's two up there. One in Frisco and other in Berkeley.
I was at the one on Haight St, I think.
Old 03-24-14, 04:42 PM
Banned by request

The one in SF is the original, IIRC. All three are good, but the Hollywood one is like Mecca. It is literally a warehouse sized building full of everything you can think of even marginally music related.
Old 03-24-14, 05:00 PM

Picked up Vangelis "Spiral" and Fleetwood Mac "Kiln House" for a few bucks over lunch hour. Splurged a bit and also picked up RHCP's "I'm Beside You" (issued last November).
Old 03-24-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up Vangelis "Spiral" and Fleetwood Mac "Kiln House" for a few bucks over lunch hour. Splurged a bit and also picked up RHCP's "I'm Beside You" (issued last November).
I still have to pick that up sometime. I just got around to picking up I'm With You on vinyl. I've wanted to get it for some time, but didn't want to pay $38 for it. Finally got it out of the clearance bin at my local shop for 50% off. They had about seven copies for 25% off for the past month, and on a hunch, I decided to check back yesterday to see if it had gone down in price any more. Apparently I wasn't the only one waiting for the drop, as I got one of the last two. The guy working at the counter said he been debating grabbing a copy too at the price, and was now likely going to get the last one.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-24-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If anyone is interested, Amazon currently has Flaming Lips "The Terror" 2LP for $10.99. This was $34.99 when it came out, I guess they have a lot of stock. I know I balked at that price.
Old 03-24-14, 10:23 PM
Banned by request

Shit, I got The Terror cheaper than $34.99, but definitely not as low as $10.99.
Old 03-24-14, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I still have to pick that up sometime. I just got around to picking up I'm With You on vinyl. I've wanted to get it for some time, but didn't want to pay $38 for it. Finally got it out of the clearance bin at my local shop for 50% off. They had about seven copies for 25% off for the past month, and on a hunch, I decided to check back yesterday to see if it had gone down in price any more. Apparently I wasn't the only one waiting for the drop, as I got one of the last two. The guy working at the counter said he been debating grabbing a copy too at the price, and was now likely going to get the last one.
Nice. I'm With You is a mixed bag, but worth owning as a RHCP fan -- especially with that discount. Oddly enough, I'm Beside You looks like it might be the stronger album. Only gave it one listen thus far, but really like what I'm hearing.
Old 03-24-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice. I'm With You is a mixed bag, but worth owning as a RHCP fan -- especially with that discount. Oddly enough, I'm Beside You looks like it might be the stronger album. Only gave it one listen thus far, but really like what I'm hearing.
Ok, now I want to hear it then, because I really liked I'm With You. Even despite that fact that John Frusciante wasn't in the band anymore, I think it's their most consistent album since Blood Sugar Sex Magic. I'd pretty much given up on them, but this was the album that drew me back in.
Old 03-25-14, 02:03 PM

Do any of you have more than one turntable system set up at home?

Asking because I have my current system in the family room where we spend most of our time. However, I'm spending more and more time in my study upstairs and am thinking of adding a second turntable setup.

Limited space, so I'd likely go with the U-Turn turntable (already have a Pro-Ject and curious about the U-Turn) and a couple Audioengine powered bookshelf speakers. Don't want to break the bank or compromise much on quality so I think this would be a reasonable system.
Old 03-25-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have like 4 turntables but only use one in the main AV room of the house. I'm all iTunes lossless > AppleTV everywhere else.
Old 03-25-14, 02:54 PM

Asking because I have my current system in the family room where we spend most of our time. However, I'm spending more and more time in my study upstairs and am thinking of adding a second turntable setup.

Limited space, so I'd likely go with the U-Turn turntable (already have a Pro-Ject and curious about the U-Turn) and a couple Audioengine powered bookshelf speakers. Don't want to break the bank or compromise much on quality so I think this would be a reasonable system.
I have a home office / man cave over the garage. Whenever I buy another TT the faithful old music hall will go up there, unless I give to my mom. I set up a nice vintage rig for her the other day but the TT is definitely the weak link. So I think a UTurn might be in the cards for me too as a second system someday. they instagrammed a cue arm the other day they are working on.
Old 03-25-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would love to have this guy's collection of The Misfit's "Walk Among Us"

(Fennofiend's collection posted from misfitscentral.com)
Old 03-25-14, 03:21 PM

I didn't know this was going to be an addiction, just picked-up:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Rush - Moving Pictures

All insanely pristine for less than $3 each.

Also grabbed new copies of:

Chvrches - Bones of What You Believe
Lacuna Coil - Broken Crown Halo - Limited bootleg
Old 03-25-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from Amoeba with a small stash of wax:

Savages - Silence Yourself
Fu Manchu - California Crossing Demos (color vinyl)
Fu Manchu - The Covers (color vinyl)
Daft Punk - (self titled)
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (20th Anniversary)
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction (Back to Black pressing)
Old 03-26-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Paul's Boutique new or used? I wouldn't mind getting that but I hate paying new prices.

If anyone is interested, Amazon has Green Day American Idiot 2LP for $9.98.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OHB3IK/

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I would love to have this guy's collection of The Misfit's "Walk Among Us"

(Fennofiend's collection posted from misfitscentral.com)
Geez. I have the original Ruby Records pink cover that I bought in high school. Looks to be one in the top left. Black label. Cover is good, vinyl looks bad but plays good. That record took a beating.
Old 03-26-14, 12:41 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Normally, yes, but I need to get a new stylus for one of mine and I just moved, so I haven't had time.
Old 03-26-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Paul's Boutique new or used? I wouldn't mind getting that but I hate paying new prices.
New. It was $22 but I have store credit.
Old 03-26-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I spun that Fu Manchu "Covers" album and it really rocked! I also spun The Savages album and those girls are fucking epic! Wow, I floored by "Silence Yourself. The lead singer sounds like Grace Slick a bit.

Oh, and an update on my Kiss blue marble Revenge copy. Looks like it's also signed and numbered by Bruce Kulick. The bummer is that he signed it right on the fucking vinyl Looks like that one will get no play on my turntable ride. I'll be ordering the new reissue one that's being released in a week or two. Price be damned on that one since I really wanted to spin it.
Old 03-26-14, 06:41 PM

I'm currently playing The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You, I cannot get enough of this album.

Best Buy fucked-up my Summer Camp...sent me another copy, wrong again...and struck-out a third time as well. So, I'm stuck with Three copies of Charlie Boyer and the Voyeurs until I get a chance to return them. They did send me a $20 gift card for the cascading fuck-up with their SKUs.

Really bummed I can't get that awesome price via Best Buy though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.