Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Oh, so yesterday was the big RSD announcement.

Here's Amoeba's list of what they'll be having. I'm not going anywhere near that place on RSD, but there's some cool shit on the list.

http://www.amoeba.com/admin/uploads/...SD2014menu.pdf

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-21-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 10:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking Record Surplus for RSD, unless the Los Angelenos have a better suggestion.
Old 03-21-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm thinking Record Surplus for RSD, unless the Los Angelenos have a better suggestion.
I'm sticking to Canterbury Records like I did last year. I'd even suggest Poo-Bah in Pasadena but last year they pissed me off, because they filed all of the RSD stuff with the regular collection. I didn't even know what was RSD or not. Totally screwed everything up. I got 100% of my stuff from Canterbury. Gonna do it again this year.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-21-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best record store in LA is Freakbeat, and the guys who run it actually aren't socially retarded (like many record shops...).
Old 03-21-14, 03:38 PM
Banned by request

Alright, so why should I go to Freakbeat or Canterbury? Sell me, guys.
Old 03-21-14, 04:03 PM

Just my opinion, Canterbury absolutely sucks. Why Freakbeat? Small, independent record store with a brilliant used and new vinyl section. Might be crowded though....
Old 03-21-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am guessing there might be riots and shootings over people trying to pick up copies of this

Ron Jeremy
Understanding and Appreciating Classical Music With Ron Jeremy

DETAILS
Format: 7" Vinyl
Label: Black Country Rock/Thirty Tigers
Release type: 'RSD First' Release
More Info:
A 7" single of adult film star Ron Jeremy performing and discussing classical music at a piano. This is a serious record laced with Ron's hilarious dialogue and off the cuff blue comments throughout his performances of Bach, Beethoven and more. Colored vinyl. Artwork and packaging by Keith Neltner.
Old 03-21-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have control over the line, have a cash/credit line separately, and they actually don't mark up their RSD items like all the other shops that I went to. They also have designated locations for their items.

Remember, I only prefer them, because I'll be close by that day. I also went to Gimme Gimme Records in Highland park and that was a wasted trip cuz what they did have was severely priced up.

Poobahs, I won't bother with this year at all. I'll look up FreakBeat for more info.

EDIT - just looked up FreakBeat and they're in Sherman Oaks. I'm not going to the valley unless it's to get laid.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-21-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spun this earlier:

Old 03-21-14, 06:43 PM
Banned by request

Anyone been to Touch Vinyl? That's another spot I'm considering for RSD.
Old 03-21-14, 06:57 PM

Sheesh. We have about one decent record store here...and I'm 45 minutes from Minneapolis. Dammit.
Old 03-21-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, so yesterday was the big RSD announcement.

Here's Amoeba's list of what they'll be having. I'm not going anywhere near that place on RSD, but there's some cool shit on the list.

http://www.amoeba.com/admin/uploads/...SD2014menu.pdf
Got to say, with the exception of a few things I am mildly interested in, I am fairly disappointed in this year's crop of RSD releases. There was better stuff that came out on Black Friday RSD last November. Plus, I've been told a good deal of these releases aren't even exclusive, but just advances of getting a regular release.

Anyone else feeling this way, too?

On a cool note, though, R.E.M.'s Mike Mills will be on hand to sign records at my local shop, so at least I have that to look forward to.
Old 03-21-14, 10:55 PM

They have control over the line, have a cash/credit line separately, and they actually don't mark up their RSD items like all the other shops that I went to. They also have designated locations for their items.

Remember, I only prefer them, because I'll be close by that day. I also went to Gimme Gimme Records in Highland park and that was a wasted trip cuz what they did have was severely priced up.

Poobahs, I won't bother with this year at all. I'll look up FreakBeat for more info.

EDIT - just looked up FreakBeat and they're in Sherman Oaks. I'm not going to the valley unless it's to get laid.
You just confirmed your hipster (albeit, maybe a classy hipster status, a true vinyl collector will travel anywhere in the multiverse to explore and discover those hard-to-find gems .
Old 03-21-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by van der graaf
You just confirmed your hipster (albeit, maybe a classy hipster status, a true vinyl collector will travel anywhere in the multiverse to explore and discover those hard-to-find gems .

Well played, sir.

Old 03-21-14, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Got to say, with the exception of a few things I am mildly interested in, I am fairly disappointed in this year's crop of RSD releases. There was better stuff that came out on Black Friday RSD last November. Plus, I've been told a good deal of these releases aren't even exclusive, but just advances of getting a regular release.

Anyone else feeling this way, too?

On a cool note, though, R.E.M.'s Mike Mills will be on hand to sign records at my local shop, so at least I have that to look forward to.
I'm with you. The only things I'm interested in are the CHVRCHES EP, REM, and a 10".
Old 03-21-14, 11:09 PM

Good luck on the REM!

I have a whole list of stuff I wouldn't mind owning. But at the end of the day, if I can buy 5-6 records and then maybe a couple more on eBay that I can't live without, I'm fine with it.

The store here in Austin I've been pimping, The Sound Gallery, got denied RSD order status. Kinda a bummer, but I may just hit another one of the little guys and avoid Waterloo entirely.

Also annoyed that one of the Bowie pic discs is a UK exclusive
Old 03-21-14, 11:25 PM

I'm with you. The only things I'm interested in are the CHVRCHES EP, REM, and a 10".
That Recover EP is the only thing I want. I hope I can't get my hands on it. I really enjoy all of their remixes quite a bit. I've already scooped-up the Lies and Gun EPs...gonna need that one to round them out.
Old 03-22-14, 08:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Sheesh. We have about one decent record store here...and I'm 45 minutes from Minneapolis. Dammit.
Minneapolis here and 2 separate record stores about 8 blocks from me. still need to see what their RSD plans are though.
Old 03-22-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go, auto: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk

You will want to upgrade at some point, but don't go out of your budget at first if you don't have to.
Originally Posted by wmermine
I second this recommendation. I had this before upgrading to the Rega RP-1.
I can vouch for this one since it's the one that was given to me for my b-day last year. It's an awesome little machine:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk
Okay, so I bought one of these...and my first vinyl purchase in many years:

Since then I picked up a few records from the Best Buy sale and the Queen from a few pages back. Really enjoying the experience. I think I'm done buying CDs unless the vinyl is overly cost prohibitive.

Any recommendations for can't miss deals on amazon?
Old 03-22-14, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

That mbv album is excellent. Nice choice.
Old 03-22-14, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Minneapolis here and 2 separate record stores about 8 blocks from me. still need to see what their RSD plans are though.
Ah! I'm guessing Cheapo - Uptown and Electric Fetus, perhaps? Hopefully they release their plans soon.

I just got done hitting all of the Cheapos, Electric Fetus and the Down in the Valley in Golden Valley. Managed to find the Limited Beigi copy of Tycho's Awake. And got some great deals on some used vinyl at Down in the Valley.
Old 03-22-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I spun this just now and it was legit!

Old 03-23-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone ever think of opening up a vinyl shop online or in a real building? There's this gnawing in the back of my mind that says that it would be awesome to own a record shop.

What say you?
Old 03-23-14, 10:33 PM

Anyone ever think of opening up a vinyl shop online or in a real building? There's this gnawing in the back of my mind that says that it would be awesome to own a record shop.

What say you?
Yup, I've thought about it quite a bit...a close buddy owns a bar in the LA area, I may put some vinyl on his wall to sell...Or, at least, I've thought about that, too....
Old 03-24-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What say you?
I would if I had the money to do it. Having worked in retail, and in music stores, though, I can tell you it's only half as cool as it seems like it would be.

Lot of potential hassel involved with it, though. Vinyl shoppers are an extremely picky bunch, speaking from experience, and you'd have to be prepared to deal with that as much as any cool customers you might have. Also, a lot of vinyl is non returnable to the manufacturer, so you'd have to be a willing and able to take a hit on that.

Then there's the matter of whether you will carry just new product, or new and used? If you do carry used, you have to know how to grade and price your product, fairly and accurately. Plus, deal with the people who want to sell you their stuff, and, be able to go out to other record shows, stores, etc, not just to shop for yourself, but for your potential customers, too. That right there can kind of take a lot of the joy out of collecting for yourself.

If you do an online sight, or even I'd you are a brick and mortar shop that will ship, shipping vinyl can be expensive due to weight. Plus, you have to pack well, due to the fragility of the product.

And on, and on, and on....

Yeah, I've thought about it a lot.

All that said, if tomorrow someone gave me a huge chunk of change and told me to start my own business with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-24-14 at 12:11 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.