Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
True, as with just about any vinyl release and second or third market sellers on Amazon. That said, think I only paid $15 from Amazon directly when it first came out. Granted, it was on sale, but still.

BTW - have you seen this yet?

http://http://www.kissteria.kissonline.com

Typical, over the top fashion for KISS, but all the same, it'd bee pretty sweet to have one of these.
Yeah, I saw that. Rumor has it it's gonna cost about 10k. At least that's what I read on FB.
Old 03-18-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My copy of the new Pretty Reckless album came in today. Blood red vinyl, too!

Old 03-19-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Queen: News of the World LP arrived today.
Old 03-19-14, 06:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine shipped today.
Old 03-19-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
It may need some talc powder. I've heard putting some in a ziploc bag with the belt and shaking it around can work. Not ideal I know. You aren't the first uturn owner to report this.
Hey thanks, that worked like a charm!
Old 03-19-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Hey thanks, that worked like a charm!
Ah good to hear. How are you doing with placing the stylus on the record? That kept me away from this current model. I like to drink too much while playing records.
Old 03-19-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of sleeves do you buy and where do you get them?
Old 03-19-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get these outer sleeves, which are basic, but hold up pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/PLASTIC-OUTER-...=vinyl+sleeves

These are the inner sleeves I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Lined-Inn...1DRRYEYS3D8JBS
Old 03-19-14, 09:43 PM

I like sleevecityusa.com for their crystal clear sleeves.
Old 03-19-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
My Queen: News of the World LP arrived today.
Sweet. My Best Buy order should arrive tomorrow. Got like five records for what two or three of them would have cost normally. Sorry you didn't find anything you liked on the list. Looking forward to spinning Spinal Tap soundtrack and UFO - Lights Out. The others were ones I thought about buying at one time or another, but at the prices I got them for, couldn't afford to pass by any longer.
Old 03-20-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Ah good to hear. How are you doing with placing the stylus on the record? That kept me away from this current model. I like to drink too much while playing records.
That's not really a problem, I've always preferred dropping it manually anyway. What's taking some getting used to is the fact that there is no automatic return, so I have to remember to be right there at the end of a side. They have an automatic tonearm return as an add on & think they're working on stylus cue as well.

Still, at least I can finally play that Sgt Pepper inner groove from my old U.K. import.
Old 03-20-14, 06:51 PM

I hate to be the rube once again, but my knowledge of turntables is mostly lacking...but what is the purpose of a stylus cue and the automatic tonearm return?
Old 03-20-14, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher
I hate to be the rube once again, but my knowledge of turntables is mostly lacking...but what is the purpose of a stylus cue and the automatic tonearm return?
The first, so you don't have to pick up the needle and place it on the record, just press a button and it does it automatically. The second, so you don't have to pick up the needle at the end of the record (otherwise, it will just sit there while the record spins into eternity) -- the arm picks up and returns to the resting position automatically. Some audiophiles don't like either because they full the more gizmos there are on a turntable, the worse the sound may be (interference, vibration, etc.). I have a pretty decent late-70s Sanyo (Plus Q50) that has those features, but uses a separate motor for the arm and plate, so it isolates any noise from the arm.
Old 03-20-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I just got back from Amoeba with a pretty nice haul of NEW vinyl. As Supermallet said before, you definitely need to coordinate before entering the shop, because once you do, if you don't know what you want, you'll be there forever. It's very overwhelming. I had about $250 of store credit and scored all of this:

Dead Waltz "They Live"
Dead Waltz "Assault on Precinct 13"
Dead Waltz "The Fog" (this might be Blake's Gold Edition, so we'll see when I open it)
"Dredd" Score import
Stone Temple Pilots "Purple"
Shiny Toy Guns "III"
"Halloween" the new 180 gram vinyl

I'll post pictures later. Traffic sucked balls!

I do want to comment and say that the place is literally Empire Records. I've lived in this fucking town all of my life but never actually went inside. As soon as you walk in the smell of weed hits before that one-two punch of funk and piss wash over you. You have people from every walk of life and staff is nice and the customers are nice. I was very impressed. Fuck me, I want to work there!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-20-14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 07:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for the details van der graaf. I had no idea either of those existed. I'm typically in close proximity to my turntable so I don't see myself needing anything like that just yet.
Old 03-20-14, 08:16 PM

Awesome, thanks for the details van der graaf. I had no idea either of those existed. I'm typically in close proximity to my turntable so I don't see myself needing anything like that just yet.
Most newish tables don't have a button to drop the stylus though like the regas! projects! and music halls and even VPIs. Usually it's a dampened arm which I actually like. I didn't think I would, but it's worked well.
Old 03-20-14, 08:39 PM

Such a new world for me!

Now, I had this issue just happen and it happened as well yesterday...flicked my U-turn on and it does nothing, doesn't start spinning it anything. Flick it off and back on and it goes...hope I don't have a faulty table. Made sure that power source was snug on both ends as well.
Old 03-20-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

So I just got back from Amoeba with a pretty nice haul of NEW vinyl. As Supermallet said before, you definitely need to coordinate before entering the shop, because once you do, if you don't know what you want, you'll be there forever. It's very overwhelming. I had about $250 of store credit and scored all of this:

Dead Waltz "They Live"
Dead Waltz "The Fog" (this might be Blake's Gold Edition, so we'll see when I open it)
"Dredd" Score import
Shiny Toy Guns "III"

I do want to comment and say that the place is literally Empire Records. I've lived in this fucking town all of my life but never actually went inside. As soon as you walk in the smell of weed hits before that one-two punch of funk and piss wash over you. You have people from every walk of life and staff is nice and the customers are nice. I was very impressed. Fuck me, I want to work there!
I'm visiting LA for the first time in two months. Amoeba is my second stop after I land.
Old 03-20-14, 11:00 PM

Such a new world for me!

Now, I had this issue just happen and it happened as well yesterday...flicked my U-turn on and it does nothing, doesn't start spinning it anything. Flick it off and back on and it goes...hope I don't have a faulty table. Made sure that power source was snug on both ends as well.
Hmmm, well if you do I hear they are great at addressing issues by email. I've heard of some tables needing a little push on the platter to get going if something is faulty. Usually older vintage models though.
Old 03-21-14, 12:09 AM
Banned by request

Dead Waltz "They Live"
"Dredd" Score import
Shiny Toy Guns "III"

Wait, YOU had never been to Amoeba? Welcome to the world outside that rock you've been living under.

Also, my table is totally manual and I love it. It forces me to pay attention to the record.
Old 03-21-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Wait, YOU had never been to Amoeba? Welcome to the world outside that rock you've been living under.

Also, my table is totally manual and I love it. It forces me to pay attention to the record.

Yep, I got dogged out by everyone when I posted that on my FB page. "You been hiding under rock as big as the planet!" Shit like that. Hey, when everything you ever wanted is at the click of your fingertips why would you go anywhere else and pay almost full retail price for it? Fuck ambience. Then again, now that I know what I know, it's on! If I wasn't in such a hurry to get my stuff I would have stuck around. There were these two chicks who were fine as fuck but I was being a bonehead and didn't take advantage. I could have gotten digits. I shall return with my resume. Me and Amoeba were meant to be.

I think my Audio Technica is also fully automatic (wait, or its manual?) - you're right, it does make you listen to the entire album, so that you can appreciate the music more. I don't fuck with the needle at all. I press play and we're gonna listen to each side completely.

EDIT - Also just noticed that the The Fog and Assault on Precinct 13 LP's are really oversized, so I think I'm going to have to snag some of the outer sleeves that I've used for my LD's. I also need to replenish my supply of inner sleeves. Looks like I'm going Amazon shopping for supplies!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-21-14 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 01:57 AM
Banned by request

The outer sleeves that Amoeba sells are perfect for thick/gatefold/multidisc albums. Not good for standard single-disc records. The inner sleeves don't have any plastic lining so I don't bother with them.
Old 03-21-14, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The outer sleeves that Amoeba sells are perfect for thick/gatefold/multidisc albums. Not good for standard single-disc records. The inner sleeves don't have any plastic lining so I don't bother with them.
Yeah, I'm gonna see what Amazon has to offer. I still have a bunch of outer sleeves but like three inner sleeves left. I was fortunate that three quarters of the vinyl I got today already had their own deluxe cardboard or thick inner sleeves. I just need some on stand by.
Old 03-21-14, 02:55 AM
Banned by request

These are the inner sleeves I get from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice and thick (but not so thick that you have to dump the original inner sleeve if you wish to keep it), plastic lining. They get the job done.
Old 03-21-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These are the inner sleeves I get from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice and thick (but not so thick that you have to dump the original inner sleeve if you wish to keep it), plastic lining. They get the job done.
Yep, those are the ones I get. Time for a refill.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.